Germany’s NDR and ARD have revealed their ambitious plans for alternative Eurovision 2020 programming. Among other things, their May 16 spectacular will include a live performance from the country’s Eurovision 2020 artist Ben Dolic. He’ll recreate, as best he can, the staging we would have seen in Rotterdam. So it’s only appropriate that on Sunday he dropped the stage version of his Eurovision song “Violent Thing”.

Ben Dolic: Final version of “Violent Thing”

As you’ll recall from the song presentation in late February, the original music video for “Violent Thing” clocked in at 3:42 — far exceeding the three minutes allocated to Eurovision acts. So Ben’s team — including noted Eurovision composer Borislav Milanov — have had to cut his entry down for the big night.

Yes, they made it shorter. But more importantly they added a bit of polish and thrust. The middle part of the song now feels more stage ready. Ben’s fans will be particularly keen to hear he’s added an impressive high note before the last chorus kicks in. It’s the perfect moment to convince the judges that he’s the one and to show off his angelic vocals that most definitely take us higher.

While the song won’t actually get to compete, it definitely feels a bit more competitive now. Of course, even without the added parts, he already impressed Wiwibloggers from all over the world. He topped our Wiwi Jury voting, as we announced last week.

Our Oliver awarded it a perfect 10, writing: “After Germany’s mishap with the televoting in Tel Aviv last year, Ben Dolic’s ‘Violent Thing’ would have surely been a number to get the crowd on their feet. It took me a bit to warm to Ben’s unique voice, but now I can safely say that he and the song are a perfect fit. It is a masterfully composed song that utilises catchy lyrics and boasts all the hallmarks of a song which would perform well with both the juries and the general public.”

What do you think of the final version and revamp? Could this have contended in Rotterdam? Shout it out below!

Stephen Lynch

This was my number 1. His voice reminds me of Mel C’s at times.
🙁

Anita
Anita

too slick this version – imho.

Grafton
Grafton

It could have won the whole thing :/

Eurotrash
Eurotrash

I’m really upset that I won’t get to see this performed live because I feel like it would have been a real crowd stirrer. Germany would do themselves a real disservice to not send Ben again in 2021.

Fatima
Fatima

It would have been neat for Germany to win again after a decade

Nicole
Nicole

I strongly believe that Germany could have easily made the top 3! Greetings from Greece!

Adamonia
Adamonia

I prefer the earlier version. The thing with this song was that it didn’t sounds ”Eurovision”. Well..now it does. It lost its uniqueness

jot
jot

Germany: Finally selects something amazing after years full of desaster
Corona: Such a violent thing – Knocking you down like a domino 😉

(It will probably take us another 10 years to send something with potential again…)

mr 305 # dale
mr 305 # dale

whenever germany’s tried to internally select recently something’s gone wrong @xavier naidoo hehehe 🙁

Josh R
Josh R

If this were on the stage in Rotterdam, this would’ve stunned! Germany stepped it up after last year…Ben Dolic for Germany ESC 2021 please!

Tajikistan
Tajikistan

Angelic, really? He can barely hit that high note, I can’t imagine it would’ve gone well on stage. Other than that, I still like the song and I hope Germany (or Slovenia) send him next year.

Jan Neisius
Jan Neisius
Reply to  Tajikistan

Watch his the voice of germany performances. he can hit this note without a problem

dygh
dygh
Reply to  Tajikistan

Just like people who involve politics and call themselves -ESCfan. Please, comment something constructive or don’t comment at all.

Jan Neisius
Jan Neisius

I‘ve got the same problem here which I already had with Romania. I like both songs even after the revamp, but I don‘t like it when it sounds like the added part was recorded in a different session than the rest of the song…

Euromess
Euromess

Nothing revolutionary compared to the previous version, from the comments I expected something more special. But I really like the song!

If Germany will not send him next year, I will be so upset.

Jack
Jack

Winner winner winner! I can’t tell exactly how he’d be able to pull the vocals on the night, but there’s no denying that this is the most radio friendly song in the ‘contest’ this year. And given what Germany have been sending overall recently, this is in a completely different league. I love the revamp – it’s been polished well and has those dramatic moments which will bring it together well on stage. Such a shame for this years contest as countries which don’t often get to shine would have. Let’s hope the UK take note of Germany’s direction and… Read more »

ESC Jonathan
ESC Jonathan

Amazing version! It’s even better than the original. Potential winnwe

Kim
Kim
Reply to  ESC Jonathan

Amazing song

Paul
Paul

I really can’t imagine how this song would’ve been staged…

germany eurovision
germany eurovision

As a German, the most terrible thing about the cancellation of Eurovision 2020, is the fact that Ben Dolic was my number 1. All the past ESC‘s Germany was one of my last places (except 2018), in 2020 it was my winner. So sad but we have to look in the future ?

Bleh
Bleh

Terrible version. The ending is horrible.