Social media was abuzz with #EurovisionAgain on Saturday, as Eurovision fans settled in for an evening rewatching yet another song contest from the vaults. This time, it was the turn of Eurovision 2016.
And while all the performances remained the exact same, viewers voted for a new winner — Australia’s Dami Im with “Sound Of Silence”. The real-life champion — Ukraine’s Jamala with “1944” — finished in fourth place.
Scroll down to watch Eurovision 2016
Dami Im wins #EurovisionAgain 2016
Listed below are the results for #EurovisionAgain 2016. The rankings are based on the votes of more than 4,000 people who decided to vote for their favourites while rewatching the Eurovision 2016 grand final on Saturday 2 May.
In brackets, we’ve included the differences between the new fan vote and the original result from four years ago.
And it’s all change! Only one act stayed in the same position — Russia’s Sergey Lazarev. After the original 2016 result and 2019, the “You Are The Only One” singer finds himself in third place yet again.
For the rest of the field, many only rose or fell a handful of places. But others enjoyed significant gains.
The biggest climber was Spain. Barei moved up 15 spots compared to her original placing in Stockholm. The biggest loser was Poland, tumbling 11 places.
#EurovisionAgain 2016 results
- Australia: Dami Im “Sound of Silence” (+1)
- Bulgaria: Poli Genova “If Love Was a Crime” (+2)
- Russia: Sergey Lazarev “You Are the Only One” (=)
- Ukraine: Jamala “1944” (-3)
- France: Amir “J’ai cherché” (+1)
- Armenia: Iveta Mukuchyan “LoveWave” (+1)
- Spain: Barei “Say Yay!” (+15)
- Belgium: Laura Tesoro “What’s the Pressure” (+2)
- Austria: Zoë “Loin d’ici” (+4)
- Latvia: Justs “Heartbeat” English (+5)
- Italy: Francesca Michielin “No Degree of Separation” (+5)
- Israel: Hovi Star “Made of Stars” (+2)
- Cyprus: Minus One “Alter Ego” (+8)
- Sweden: Frans “If I Were Sorry” (-9)
- Lithuania: Donny Montell “I’ve Been Waiting for This Night” (-6)
- Malta: Ira Losco “Walk on Water” (-4)
- Netherlands: Douwe Bob “Slow Down” (-6)
- Azerbaijan: Samra “Miracle” (-1)
- Poland: Michał Szpak “Color of Your Life” (-11)
- Hungary: Freddie “Pioneer” (-1)
- United Kingdom: Joe and Jake “You’re Not Alone” (+3)
- Georgia: Nika Kocharov & Young Georgian Lolitaz “Midnight Gold” (-2)
- Czech Republic: Gabriela Gunčíková “I Stand” (+2)
- Serbia: Sanja Vučić ZAA “Goodbye (Shelter)” (-6)
- Germany: Jamie-Lee “Ghost” (+1)
- Croatia: Nina Kraljić “Lighthouse” (-3)
?? THE RESULTS ARE IN ??
Here are the final scores from the #EurovisionAgain Stockholm 2016 Twitter juries ??
— #EurovisionAgain (@EurovisionAgain) May 2, 2020
Watch Eurovision 2016 online
#EurovisionAgain may be over for now, but the Eurovision 2016 grand final remains online. You can watch the full show on the official Eurovision YouTube channel.
However, the stream is blocked in some countries due to rights issues. They are Austria, Germany, Switzerland, the USA, Canada, Brazil, Taiwan and South Korea.
#EurovisionAgain is scheduled to return on Saturday 9 May at 21:00 CEST.
What is #EurovisionAgain
For the past several weeks, since the COVID-19 pandemic first took hold, the Eurovision Again team has been organising mass rewatchings of classic contests on Saturday evenings. The EBU soon came on board and began publishing previously unavailable entire show uploads on its YouTube channel.
As well as organising rewatches, the Eurovision Again team has also added a fundraising element for various LGBT+ charities. Details can be found here.
What do you think? Did Dami deserve to win the rewatch? Has “Sound Of Silence” aged better than “1944”? Let us know in the comments.