Social media was abuzz with #EurovisionAgain on Saturday, as Eurovision fans settled in for an evening rewatching yet another song contest from the vaults. This time, it was the turn of Eurovision 1998.
And for the first time in three weeks, viewers decided to stick with the existing winner — Israel’s Dana International with “Diva”.
Scroll down to watch Eurovision 1998
Dana International wins #EurovisionAgain 1998
Listed below are the results for #EurovisionAgain 1998. The rankings are based on the votes of those who decided to vote for their favourites while rewatching the Eurovision 1998 grand final on Saturday 9 May.
In brackets, we’ve included the differences between the new fan vote and the original result from 22 years ago.
And there wasn’t much change! Several acts stayed in the same position while many only rose or fell a handful of places.
The biggest climber was France, up 11 spots compared to its original placing in Birmingham. The biggest losers were Turkey and Spain who both fell six places.
#EurovisionAgain 1998 results
- Israel: Dana International “Diva” (=)
- United Kingdom Imaani “Where Are You?” (=)
- Netherlands: Edsilia “Hemel en aarde” (+1)
- Germany: Guildo Horn “Guildo hat euch lieb!” (+3)
- Malta: Chiara “The One That I Love” (-2)
- Norway: Lars Fredriksen “Alltid sommer” (+2)
- Croatia: Danijela “Neka mi ne svane” (-2)
- Cyprus: Michael Hajiyanni “Genesis” (+3)
- Ireland: Dawn Martin “Is Always Over Now?” (=)
- Belgium: Mélanie Cohl “Dis oui” (-4)
- Sweden: Jill Johnson “Kärleken är” (-1)
- Portugal: Alma Lusa “Se eu te pudesse abraçar” (=)
- France Marie Line “Où taller” (+11)
- Estonia: Koit Toome “Mere lapsed” (-2)
- Poland: Sixteen “To takie proste” (+2)
- Finland: Edea “Aava” (+1)
- Slovakia: Katarína Hasprová “Modlitba” (+4)
- Romania: Mălina Olinescu “Eu cred” (+4)
- Switzerland: Gunvor “Lass ihn” (+6)
- Turkey: Tüzmen “Unutamazsın” (-6)
- Greece: Thalassa “Mia Krifi Evesthisia” (-1)
- Spain Mikel Herzog “¿Qué voy a hacer sin ti?” (-6)
- Slovenia: Vili Resnik “Naj bogovi slišijo” (-4)
- FYR Macedonia: Vlado Janevski “Ne zori, zoro” (-5)
- Hungary: Charlie “A holnap már nem lesz szomorú” (-2)
Watch Eurovision 1998 online
#EurovisionAgain 1998 may be over but the Eurovision 1998 grand final remains online… for now. You can watch the full show on the official Eurovision YouTube channel.
However, it is only available for an unspecified “limited time”.
But why? Before 2004, the copyright for each show belonged to the respective broadcasters. In the case of 1998, that’s Britain’s BBC. For now, the UK network has opted to make the show available only temporarily.
From 2004, the rules changed with the EBU taking over ownership of the rights. Hence, the uploads of contests from 2004 onwards have remained online.
Due to Eurovision: Europe Shine A Light taking place next Saturday, #EurovisionAgain will return on Sunday 17 May at 21:00 CEST.
What is #EurovisionAgain
For the past several weeks, since the COVID-19 pandemic first took hold, the Eurovision Again team has been organising mass rewatchings of classic contests on Saturday evenings. The EBU soon came on board and began publishing previously unavailable entire show uploads on its YouTube channel.
As well as organising rewatches, the Eurovision Again team has also added a fundraising element for various LGBTQ+ charities. Details can be found here.
What do you think? Did Dana deserve to win yet again? Has “Diva” aged better than the rest? Let us know in the comments.