Ana Soklic Voda Slovenia Eurovision 2020

In February, Ana Soklič won EMA 2020, the Slovenian national selection for Eurovision 2020. However, as the contest was inevitably cancelled in March, Soklič was not able to sing for the Balkan nation this year. But now, Slovenia’s national broadcaster RTV Slovenija has officially broken the news that they have selected Ana to represent the country at Eurovision 2021 in Rotterdam.

Slovenia internally selects Ana Soklič for Eurovision 2021

As part of Slovenia’s special Eurovision 2020 show Pesem Evrovizije, Ana Soklič made a special guest appearance. There, host Nejc Šmit turned to the audience at home, saying: “We have some exclusive news for everyone. Do you [Ana] want to tell them, or do I?”, to which Ana replied with: “You do it”.

Then, confetti cannons fired and the music went off, on Šmit’s order. “Now it is official!”, the TV host announced. “Ana Soklič will represent us next year as well, in Eurovision 2021.”

RTVSLO captured the moment of the announcement and posted it on the EMA Instagram account to reveal the news to the wider audience.

As per the Eurovision 2021 rules, Soklič will not be able to perform her intended Eurovision 2020 song “Voda” at the contest next year, and must submit a new one instead.

It is currently unknown how Ana’s Eurovision 2021 song will be selected. Slovenia has used its national final EMA for the majority of its selection processes since 1996. They have previously only chosen their entry internally once, when Hannah Mancini was selected in 2013 with the song “Straight Into Love”.

It is possible that RTVSLO might re-brand EMA as a national final to let viewers select Soklič’s Eurovision 2021 song. However, we will have to wait for further information about this or whether the broadcaster will decide to choose the song internally.

Eurovision 2021: Confirmed artists

After Slovenia’s confirmation of their 2021 artist, we now have 18 selected entrants for Eurovision 2021 in Rotterdam:

1. Australia – Montaigne (confirmed 2 April)
  2. Austria – Vincent Bueno (confirmed 26 March)
  3. Azerbaijan – Efendi (confirmed 20 March)
  4. Belgium – Hooverphonic (confirmed 20 March)
  5. Bulgaria – Victoria (confirmed 21 March)
  6. Czech Republic – Benny Cristo (confirmed 13 May)
  7. Georgia – Tornike Kipiani (confirmed 21 March)
  8. Greece – Stefania (confirmed 18 March)
  9. Israel – Eden Alene (confirmed 22 March)
  10. Latvia – Samanta Tīna (confirmed 16 May)
  11. Malta – Destiny (confirmed 16 May)
  12. Netherlands – Jeangu Macrooy (confirmed 18 March)
  13. Romania – Roxen (confirmed 31 March)
  14. San Marino – Senhit (confirmed 16 May)
  15. Slovenia – Ana Soklič (confirmed 16 May)
  16. Spain – Blas Cantó (confirmed 18 March)
  17. Switzerland – Gjon’s Tears (confirmed 20 March)
  18. Ukraine – Go_A (confirmed 18 March)

What do you think of Slovenia’s choice to resend Ana Soklič? What do you expect from her 2021 entry? Sound off in the comments below!

Read more Slovenia Eurovision news here

trackback

[…] Back in May, Slovenian broadcaster RTV SLO confirmed that Ana Sokli? had been internally selected to represent Slovenia at Eurovision 2021. The EMA 2020 winner had earned a return ticket to Rotterdam. […]

Kirby
Kirby

Voda is an underrated entry. It grew on me little by little until one day I caught myself humming to its chorus. When I listen to Ana’s voice I get the goosebumps.

Piment
Piment

I happy for this choice as she seems to be a “real” artist, not just an empty headed voice. I just hope she has a better song, though,

Congrats Ana and welcome to ESC 2021. 🙂

Tom
Tom

That Vodaaaaaaaaa was banging ….i am surprise that Latvia, Slovenia, CZ, Ukraine stay with the same artist in positive way ….

i excepting UK, Russia, Germany, NM, Serbia, Poland, Croatia, Ireland, Cyprus, France, Armenia will stay with their 2020 artists however i am not sure that ITALY, MOLDOVA, ALBANIA, PORTUGAL, ICELAND OR BELARUS will stay with 2020 artists 🙁

Jose
Jose

The is one of those cases when the singer is paired with a subpar song. She has a fantastic voice, but ‘Voda’ was so flat. It didn’t grab my attention. So, I’m curious to see what she brings us next year. I would love if she submitted something more jazzy/soul or rocky. She is talented enough for it.

Excellent news!

NORWAY, LITHUANIA, FINLAND, SWEDEN should do the same.

Reply to  Whisker

And ALBANIA and ITALY.

Denis
Denis
Reply to  Whisker

And what, skip national selection season? To replace it with what? In Sweden MF is more watched than ESC, it makes no sense cancelling it. And besides, MF isn’t just a national selection. It’s to promote Swedish music industry, to find hits. And to provide a platform for artist who otherwise might not have one. You say we all should skip it? Its a song contest, not singers contest

Reply to  Denis

I never suggested or implied skipping the shows completely. I do believe that a formula should be found to do music shows AND send the winners of the 2020 selections to the ESC in 2021. Why should any artist trust the broadcaster? Slovenia did it, Latvia did it. To me that makes the rest look bad in comparison.

Denis
Denis
Reply to  Whisker

And what would the winners of 2021 do then? Not go to ESC? That would not be fair towards them. The prestige of winning MF is that you go to ESC and compete, that is why most decides to take part. Who would compete if you win something pointless?

Reply to  Denis

Yes, and there is only one winner. The rest of them go on the show to promote themselves and their music and that’s totally fine. The world was put on hold with the pandemic, maybe the public and broadcasters will make an exception next year.

Denis
Denis
Reply to  Whisker

Well they wont. The winner of MF 2021 will represent Sweden in ESC.

Reply to  Denis

It would be very kind and professional and human of them to reconsider their decision. Sending the 2020 winners to ESC 2021 would in fact show respect to ALL artists. It is not ok to shatter the winners’ dreams once they have earned their victory. It is in fact cruel.

Denis
Denis
Reply to  Whisker

And 2021 winners of MF? What about their dreams?Mamas are professionals, they have accepted it and moved on. New single out, album later this year, eventual tour this autumn. They will do fine.

Ant
Ant
Reply to  Denis

What’s the problem really? Most of the participants don’t end up going to the Eurovision anyway. They can announce beforehand that just for this year, given the exceptional circumstances, the winner of the festival will not be the national representative, and the artists can decide for themselves whether that’s okay with them. If it’s true that MF is more watched than ESC and its primary goal is to promote Swedish music, there is absolutely no issue.

Roy Moreno
Roy Moreno

I loved Voda, I think it was a bit underrated though
Anyway, I’m thrilled to see another country doing the right thing and I’m glad to see Ana back 🙂

Denis
Denis

Usually I would say we hope for better but checking out her music Voda is the type of genre she does so unfortunately we probably won’t get better. That voice needs better material to work with

Reply to  Denis

Voda-material sounds fine to me.

yodenman
yodenman

I think Russia would be fools for replacing Little Big. They have a large fan base and can easily come up with a song just as good if not better. Come on UK as well. Please don’t give up on him. Scandinavia should be ashamed for not honouring their artists.

Reply to  yodenman

Yes for Little Big. Yes for James Newman.

Reply to  Whisker

Same here!!

noone
noone

Good for her, but we’re probably getting the same kind of song, that’s just the music she makes. So for all of you, who hope that she’ll do something radically different, don’t get your hopes up. Watch “Temni svet” on youtube or any other song and you’ll see where this is going.

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  noone

You’re absolutely right. Sometimes I suspect that people would enjoy it more, if we only had 40 Milanov songs and 40 internally picked artists to sing them. What a blast.

Fabio
Fabio
Reply to  noone

I like Temni svet even more tha Voda, so that’s not a problem for me.

Timi
Timi

Winner alert. Win a song as good as her stunning cover of “Suus” she can win without effort.

viridESCent
viridESCent
Reply to  Timi

She can’t be touched vocally – it was Voda that was the problem. Hope she gets an amazing song for 2021.

I hope she will get a good song.

viridESCent
viridESCent

Truly hoping they won’t fail Ana. Her vocal is too good to get a mediocre song like Voda (although the revamp was stellar, it wasn’t enough). Hoping and praying that we won’t see an internal-selection repeat of the horrible Straight Into Love fiasco of 2013.

James
James
Reply to  viridESCent

Didn’t she wrote “Voda”?

viridESCent
viridESCent
Reply to  James

I’m not sure. But even if she did, who knows what she’ll bring in 2021.

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  viridESCent

She did, so if anyone “failed” Ana, it was herself. But perhaps we should accept that there are still artists who are more than just a product.

viridESCent
viridESCent
Reply to  Tibor

Or maybe you should just accept that I have different musical taste to you, idk?

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  viridESCent

That still doesn’t explain why you think, someone else could fail her.

viridESCent
viridESCent
Reply to  Tibor

I assumed another writer made the song. I just don’t really appreciate the tone in which you are commenting at me. It’s kind of rude.

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  viridESCent

I see.

One of the best singers of 2021 now has a year to get a song that matches her voice. I have a feeling it’s going to be great!

Shanfa Chai
Shanfa Chai

Well, that is totally unexpected. I thought Slovenia would go on with their national selection.

PP77
PP77

Bravo RTV SLO. She deserve .

1TruSeer
1TruSeer

Great news, didnt like her song at all in 2020 but she’s got a year to come up with a really great one for 2021.

Also the more countries that confirm their 2020 artist puts pressure on the few who haven’t to reconsider. Although a number of countries have confirmed to be participating next year who haven’t announced their acts, I believe it’s only Sweden, Estonia and Denmark who’ve confirmed they will be looking for new acts.

GIOLO
GIOLO
Reply to  1TruSeer

Also Finland, Lithuania and Norway will stick to their usual national selections.
Portugal is still not official, but Elisa revealed she will not be in ESC 2021
About Italy, RAI intends to send the winner of Sanremo 2021 to ESC 2021, but it’s still not known for sure

About the others, I would say Arilena is the one more in danger

Badwoolfgirl
Badwoolfgirl
Reply to  1TruSeer

Yeah, I hope Ana can come up with a better song for next year. For some artists, if they are picked again, this is a rare opportunity to step up their game and present better songs that won’t leave them behind in the semi finals.

GIOLO
GIOLO
Reply to  Badwoolfgirl

Nice nickname, is it Doctor Who inspired?

Great news! Glad that the majority of this years acts will be back.

ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA
Reply to  Joe

Do you know who else will be back that hasn’t been announced yet? (I’m hoping for France, Ireland, and Russia)

1TruSeer
1TruSeer
Reply to  ESCFanGA

UK is almost certain to be James Newman again, not explicitly confirmed in black and white yet however

Tom L.
Tom L.
Reply to  ESCFanGA

I think Tom, Lesley, and Little Big have very good chances of representing their countries in 2021, because all of them have internal selections, and no one who was chosen via internal selection has been declined yet

Cillian Dully
Cillian Dully
Reply to  ESCFanGA

Ireland will probably go for Lesley again