He’s the French crooner who was internally selected to represent his country at Eurovision 2020 with the song “Mon Alliée (The Best In Me)”. But now, Tom Leeb has announced that he will not be returning to Eurovision 2021 in Rotterdam.

Tom Leeb will not represent France at Eurovision 2021

Leeb made the announcement in an interview with Mickaël Dorian on French talk show Good Morning Week-end. The full interview will be broadcast this coming weekend, but the station Non Stop People have published a preview article and clip of the Parisian singer’s appearance on the show.

In the interview, Tom Leeb explained that the decision to not return was made due to scheduling conflicts:

“I have a pretty busy schedule next year so I couldn’t do Eurovision. It’s official. Other things are coming my way”.

No official announcement has yet been made by French broadcaster France TV about their intent to participate at Eurovision 2021 or any possible selection process for next year’s contest. But, Leeb states in the interview that this decision has been agreed with the broadcaster and that they will make an announcement in the coming weeks:

“We agreed with France Televisions and it is they who will give a real answer to this.”

It had previously been reported that Tom Leeb was hoping to represent his country in 2021. In early June, he told Le Parisien: “This opportunity has passed through my hands. I would really like to have my chance.”

Unfortunately, Leeb’s schedule has ultimately meant that he will not be able to make the trip to Rotterdam next year.

Although he may not be appearing at Eurovision 2021, Tom Leeb won’t be disappearing from our screens just yet. Fans of French cinema can see the French star in the films C’est la vie and Pourris gâtés, scheduled to be released this summer. He will also be appearing in season two of Infidèle —  the French version of the BBC series Doctor Foster — coming soon to TF1.

Tom Leeb at Eurovision

Tom Leeb was internally selected by France TV to represent France at Eurovision 2020 with the song “The Best In Me”. The track was co-written with Eurovision alumni John Lundvik (Sweden 2019) and Amir (France 2016). Swedish composers Thomas G:son and Peter Boström were also behind the song.

The initial version of the song received a mixed to negative reception upon release. However, Leeb then released a revamped version called “Mon Alliée (The Best In Me)”, which had a more acoustic feel to it.

In the end, Eurovision 2020 was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and Leeb did not get the opportunity to perform on the Eurovision 2020 stage in Rotterdam.

What do you make of Tom Leeb’s announcement? Would you like to see Tom Leeb return to Eurovision after 2021? Who would you like to see represent France next year?  Let us know in the comments below.

Read more France Eurovision news here

Total
Shares
CyxCy
CyxCy

Sad for Tom Leeb who really deserved a second chance. There was a show two days ago in France called “Tous ensemble pour la musique”. During this evening, Tom sang “Mon alliée” accompanied by five musicians. Six people on stage, doesn’t that remind you of anything? We were lucky to see what could have been his performance at Eurovision, and honestly, it was one of the best moments of the evening. I hope he will come back in two or three years if he has the chance. On the other hand, I am delighted with the return of the selections… Read more »

Somebody
Somebody

This sounds like an excuse given how Eurovision can be a milestone in one’s career. He is probably intimidated by the negativity surrounding him and his song, that having to create a new one feels like a hassle now.

Charli Cheer Up
Charli Cheer Up

I’m guessing its a lot of pressure to deal with. He’ll have to compose another song, see if the public and ESC fans like it, do another revamp, wait till May and then hit the road to promote. Pretty tough ride. I guess its time for France to find their next Amir again..

Last edited 5 months ago by Charli Cheer Up

Three words: DESTINATION EUROVISION REVIVAL!

Especially with so many national finals now having a hiatus or possibly being re-purposed (Sanremo? FiK?), it would be a great thing for national final season for France to broaden their search for the best song. They can even put dozens of songs online to see the reception and then narrow it down for the live show thanks to the public reception and jury decisions.

Of course, Tom as a person will be missed, but I hope he returns some other year with more of a creative control over his content.

Iván el Conquistador
Iván el Conquistador

France and Cyprus: Our artists and songs for 2020 were not well received? We’ll try something different next year.

Spain and Czech Republic: *send same artists to 2021 despite ranking low in betting odds*

Guess which countries did the right choice.

Comment ça va
Comment ça va

This is Tom’s choice, so read again.

Last edited 5 months ago by Comment ça va

Czech Republic, cuz KEMAMA is underrated.

Héctor
Héctor

Actually, the problem would be the songs, not the artists but I guess we can’t expect a hater to understand logical stuff.

I do agree some low ranked countries will use this 2nd opportunity as a way to try something different and not just get stuck with the same artist.

Henrikh Mugosa
Henrikh Mugosa

My French better half says: YEEESSSS!!!!

Both France *and Germany* have done the same thing. Two of the BIG5. With big music industries. Different pannels choosing from 100 songs for France I read here, and a few hundred in Germany if I remember correctly. Another similarity is that biggish names from past editions composed their final songs. Just look at those shortcuts. The only difference were that France had a very good singer and Germany not. Germany had a better song whereas France’s is absolutely forgettable. Anyway, good luck to Tom and hopefully we will see him again in Eurovision if he wants to participate again… Read more »

Ashton
Ashton

um ben dolic is a great singer, as is tom leeb.

Reply to  Ashton

Oh pleaz, Ben Dolic needs all the help he can get when it comes to performing his eurovision song LIVE. That would be a good example of benefiting from pre-recorded BVs.

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Whisker

sure, jan

Reply to  Ashton

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to  Ashton

Ben is not a great singer. He’s struggled with his live singing and interpretation. So did Blanche and Elliot (Belgium) in their respective years and he was certainly getting there. Because there is only that much that one can do from rehearsal to the live show. Same line of talent show participants that somehow are chosen to be in Eurovision. Way too many countries resort to talent shows participants to represent them in Eurovision. And apply the same known formula about the songwriter and package. I do believe that both Belgium 2017 and Germany 2020 had better songs than singers.… Read more »

Esc2021rotterdam
Esc2021rotterdam

But Blanche finished 4th in the final

Yes I know and Belgium’s place was well deserved IMO. She had a good song and a lot of help of SuRie that was Loïc’s backing too and got to represent the UK in 2018. Like, a professional singer does backings and then goes to be the main singer. Like Cesár as professional backing for Bulgaria 2016 and 2017 then main for Austria 2018.
And Belgium finished 4th that year for the televote, not the juries. There was quite a discrepancy there.

Moonstar
Moonstar

Blanche had a lot of help from Surie? Lol. I can’t believe I just read that.

Moonstar
Moonstar
Reply to  Ashton

I disagree. I watched Ben singing live and it sounded very flat and poor.

Erik
Erik

I know, right. So much on our schedules for 2021! Also I need to save the world and check 148713 emails, then it might be possible for me to watch next years esc. I really want to, but I have a lot of stuff going on

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips

Uh-huh. Likely story. Too busy, or too embarrassed?

I don’t think it was his choice. I think he just wasn’t wanted.

Eastman
Eastman

Not hard to believe he was busy. If singing was his main gig, sure, especially cuz what music gigs are there at the moment?? But he’s an actor and a comedian too. Not hard to belive that he has acting gigs in the future. France TV’s new HOD picked the song before she picked him so she will probably do the same for 2021.

I think it is perfectly possible and acceptable that he didn’t want to do it again. Your guess is as good as mine but we should *not* take away ownership from people’s decisions.

Last edited 5 months ago by Una

That would be terribly unjust. As far as I can tell Tom was welcomed with open arms by the fandom, it was THAT SONG that was the problem. Even so, some fans actually enjoyed the song.

Adèle572
Adèle572

This is an outrage! First Sandro and now Tom? Both would have been the absolute sexiest men to compete in Eurovision in years and now they’re not returning next year? Goddamnit! My god Tom Leeb is gorgeous. He is so goddamn sexy it’s not even funny. I literally get goosebumps every time I see his handsome, sexy, gorgeous face and body. He is so hot, omg.

Lillian
Lillian
Reply to  Adèle572

So,so agree with u. Tom has to be the most handsome and sexy man on the planet .??

Boozyfloozy99
Boozyfloozy99

Good the song was bland trash, bring back Destination Eurovision.

Kaden
Kaden

Would have loved to see that handsome man on the Eurovision stage (***insert dreamy love heart eye emoji here***) singing that he’ll put his best in me! (***insert cheeky wink emoji here***)

Fraolo
Fraolo

What could be more important than performing in front of millions of viewers, all over the Europe and Australia? Really. But it’s his choice.

The Roop is On Fire
The Roop is On Fire

Is he still interested in participating in the future if given a chance again?

Last edited 5 months ago by The Roop is On Fire
Eurovision fan
Eurovision fan

Oh dear France, you don’t have to do so many things to achieve your 1st victory in this century. Please bring back Destination Eurovision. The songs were so French, authentic, good… and the competition was so good that at the end the best one didn’t win

Last edited 5 months ago by Eurovision fan

Unlike with Cyprus, this one I can actually believe. Tom is a multi-faceted performer and probably does have a lot of other things in the pipeline. This is probably for the best. Although Tom is a solid singer, his voice is never going to be the strongest part of a successful ESC package.

FanESC

I hope that if we win one day (I mean in the next years), they’ll ask him to host the contest. He is good looking and talks english perfectly, it would be a way to participate to the contest, in some sort. I’m sure he would be better than the old grey-haired and talking-french-only presenters from France 2, lol.

bublletit
bublletit
Reply to  FanESC

Not sure who you’re referring to ? The guy from Destination Eurovision? If yes, that guy is from Canada … so ‘talking-french-only’ …

Reply to  bublletit

I’m not talking about someone particularly but every France 2 presenters. Most men presenters from the channel are 50+ years old and outdated, far from the elegant and class image the contest should send to french people who will maybe watch because we organize it.

Sgf Sgf
Sgf Sgf

I knew he won’t represent France and I’m kinda sad that we won’t see 2020 artists returning because they either want the NF to happen next year or scheduling conflicts. But anyways, will Deborah Lemoine represent France next year? Her song “Solo” slays and this could be a good opportunity for her to shine in Eurovision.

Kredential
Kredential

While he probably is busy during ESC next year I don’t doubt that the negative response to his song influenced the decision in some way. Such a shame, I was one of the few that actually liked it

Roy Moreno
Roy Moreno

I’m sad because I wanted all 2020 artists (or as many) to come back
But if it’s his decision due to busy schedule, then it’s fine and I simply wish him the best of luck 🙂

Last edited 5 months ago by Roy Moreno
Bimbamboum
Bimbamboum

Tonight live on France 2 was held the annual show celebrating the music “Ensemble pour la musique” which gather the most streamed french singers as well as rising stars. This year was no exception and the show featured various names from the music scene (around 40 artists and more than 60 performances) including Tom Leeb! I need to point out the similarity with Destination Eurovision in term of production and that was what I really like!!! Performances, colors on screens, leds, dance moves, plus live orchestra. And guess who was hosting? Garou of course, alongside with ex Miss France Laury… Read more »

paul
paul

like cyprus and its internal decision another “what were they thinking” but more to do with the song only,tom leeb is a good performer and with another song ,guess we will never know….

Esc addict
Esc addict

Mixed feelings, sad cause I like him a lot and I would have liked to see a new version of destination eurovision with the same concept Romania have done this year with Roxen but with Tom cause I know he can sing so many different styles…….
Happy cause it means the french team and the HOD want to change things for 2021 I just hope they have understood why so much people was so angry…… fingers crossed
Next step for the french team is the Jesc, let’s see what they will bring after the big success of Bim Bam Toi…..

Maurice
Maurice

In a world where people can’t even plan a day in advance, Sandro and now Tom’s schedules are apparently too busy in 2021 for Eurovision…let’s just be open and transparent about the real reasoning behind why they won’t be returning to the contest!

Bimbamboum
Bimbamboum
Reply to  Maurice

Tom is not only a singer but also actor and is expected on numerus films and even TV series in months to come, with the activity of filming restarting step by step since the debut of June. His involve in differents comedy shows (first party) take a lot of time too so maybe yes, he prefers to anticipate perfectly knowing what a Eurovision journey mean (pre-parties, interviews, promoting). Of course, this is also a way to escape from all the critics which had been made about his 2020 song, and I can understand that he could have feel himself quite… Read more »

paul
paul
Reply to  Maurice

dont insult tom by comparing him to sandro,BUT both the songs were absoulete crap,and this “busy schedule” etc is just a face saving statement. Tom may have done ok with a better song tho

Fabio
Fabio

Scheduling conflicts sound like an excuse to me. It’s a polite way to say French TV has decided a different approach for choosing the 2021 entry. This year’s entry didn’t get a really good feeback, as fans usually ranked it very low, that’s why he has been dropped. In my opinion, the song was lame and boring, but he doesn’t really stand out as a singer either. His voice is not much impressing, to be honest.

Esc addict
Esc addict
Reply to  Fabio

I didn’t like his esc song but nobody can say that his voice is not good, he has a pretty raspy voice, and he sings very well, he has his own style with another good song he would have been a big potential this year. #FullPackage
Look at his cover of Arcade, his voice is impressing.

I do like Tom but I couldn’t stand the song and it’s not even about the song itself, it could be performed by a random person and I don’t care. I am still annoyed about this “first came the song” etc. What were they thinking? It was this song out of how many songs? IMO Tom was an excellent choice for an act. The song wasn’t.

Reply to  Whisker

“More than a hundred songs” according to our head of delegation.

Reply to  FanESC

Oh yes indeed. Maybe they should re-consider who is selecting the songs.

Reply to  Whisker

They should rather reconsider the processus itself. Choose the song and then an artist is not the right thing to do, I think. They should just let artists send and sing their own songs.

Reply to  FanESC

I agree with you, can’t deny there was a big problem there.

CRAIG
CRAIG

While Tom seems very nice is oh-so handsome, that song was dreadful. This is probably for the best

Fabio
Fabio
Reply to  CRAIG

Actually, he’s a so-so singer. The song didn’t help either.

Esc addict
Esc addict
Reply to  Fabio

A so-so singer!!!! Really!! Maybe it’s your ears which are so-so, sorry guy.

Reply to  CRAIG

He wouldn’t represent France with the same song…

Nobody Important
Nobody Important

I really hope French delegation learned something from all the criticism. Destination Eurovision is the only answer! I would mind Tom returning in the future as long as it with the better song. France, you know what to do!

It’s not even possible to have a certain schedule for 2021, so I’m not sure if I fully believe him. Maybe he didn’t enjoy this year’s experience and doesn’t want to repeat it. Maybe the head of delegation was surprised at the bad reception he got and won’t risk it again. Personally, I’m sad he won’t be returning – I hated his song, but 2021 would’ve been the perfect chance to redeem himself by following his own tastes instead of conveyor-belt pop.

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit
Reply to  Jonas

This covers it entirely. I completely agree, Jonas!

Bimbamboum
Bimbamboum

Today open a new chapter for France. The 2020 strategy didn’t work and the team is perfectly aware of that that’s why what we know for sure is that the selection system will evolve in a different way. The lack of support for this year entry was really noticeable at all scales (politics, medias and almost for fans and french people). The ultimate goal for FTV is to achieve the best result for the country and I have no doubts all the efforts are made to reach it. About 2021, my opinion is that a return of Destination Eurovision is… Read more »

Last edited 5 months ago by Bimbamboum
Reply to  Bimbamboum

Of course there is so much to choose from. They could even envision a collaboration among different French artists to showcase the diversity of French talents, with artists from continental France, from French Polynesia, Réunion, Africa. Now that would catch my attention.

Hector
Hector

I really hope he comes back in the future. Better with a song of his own, he has enough talent to create something quite good, and ofc better than Mon alliée

FanESC

With the virus, France TV will probably want to make economies so do’nt be too hopeful for a DE comeback.

Esc2021rotterdam
Esc2021rotterdam

At least ulrikke doesn’t need to be sad for being unconfirmed for 2021 because she wouldn’t see him anyway

Idksmth
Idksmth

I’m kinda sad. At least he wasn’t dropped like other artists like Ulrikke, The Mamas and others. At least he announced it himself. But the song was autrocious, so I’m hopeful for a Destination Eurovision comeback. It didn’t bring amazing results but both of their entries were much better than this and they were both underrated to different extents. Hoping that France will get some common sense and choose a good song for a change for 2021. And an artist who is capable to slay.

Erasmus
Erasmus

Well, I’m gonna say that I do enjoy his music (except his esc song), but I would rather see either the return of Destination Eurovision or picking an artist first not the song (Maelle is my top pick)

Erasmus
Erasmus
Reply to  Erasmus

and also I don’t mind countries like San Marino, Malta, Montenegro, Cyprus (basically everyone who has a population less than 2 million) looking for talent abroad, but countries like France, who has HUGE music industry definitely shouldn’t be doing that – and especially not for a song like this. I hope their HoD get their ass together and start doing something France has been doing with Amir and Madame Monsieur (Bilal and Alma weren’t the best…)

Eurovision fan
Eurovision fan
Reply to  Erasmus

Lisandro Cuxi would be quite good choice for France too.

Iván el Conquistador
Iván el Conquistador
Reply to  Erasmus

How about Gojira, the metal band? I’ve heard a lot of French people want them to represent the country in ESC, is is true? Eurovision needs musical variety, generic pop and ballads give the Contest a bad name.

Ashton
Ashton

destination eurovision. Destination Eurovision. DESTINATION EUROVISION. I’M BEGGING YOU FRANCE.

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Ashton

if destination eurovision can produce OK Ou KO, one of the best songs EVER in any national selection period, why did they scrap it? Please bring it back in 2021.

EurovisionBenny_AUT
EurovisionBenny_AUT

I’m hoping that France will revert to working with its own composers and songwriters and to sending more original material. That said, all the best to Tom!

FanESC

It’s exactly the same scenario as Cyprus excepted that it sounds more credible with Tom since he appears in a lot of series, etc. But he said a few times that he would like to make it since the cancellation and now his planning filled up in 3 weeks ? Lol. As a french, I’m angry that they didn’t take it again so If we don’t have a bop next year (because Tom could have sung a ballad too but maybe not un uptempo) and don’t end up top 5 at the very least, I’ll see our HoD. They don’t… Read more »

Last edited 5 months ago by FanESC
ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA

Hopefully France will pick him again in 2022.

Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo
Reply to  ESCFanGA

I agree!

Eurovision fan
Eurovision fan

France you know what to do next year.

Last edited 5 months ago by Eurovision fan
Louka
Louka
Reply to  Eurovision fan

Ohhhh YES we all know we NEED Destination Eurovision back!!! PLEASE PLEASE Can your hear me team France???
By the way, the correct titel for the TV serie where Tom will appear is “Infidèle”, that’s in fact the french adapation of the famous british “Doctor Foster”.
But the article is really nice 🙂