Dan Stevens Netflix Eurovision

He’s set to play the fictional Russian pop superstar Alexander Lemtov in Netflix’s upcoming movie Eurovision Song Contest: The Story Of Fire SagaAnd now, in an interview with Attitude magazine, actor Dan Stevens has revealed some more details about his character, including a “big secret”.

Spoilers ahead

Dan Stevens plays a closeted Russian popstar in Netflix’s Eurovision movie

In much of the promotional material released so far, it is clear that Stevens will be the antagonist to Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams’ Icelandic underdogs. But Lemtov will have more layers than the one-dimensional baddie we saw in the trailer.

Stevens tells Attitude that the character has a big secret — he’s LGBTQ. This is significant given that Alexander is from Russia, specifically Chechnya.

The former Downton Abbey star elaborates.

“He’s the anti-hero. He’s an obstacle for Lars (Ferrell). Lars wants to be Lemtov and there’s tremendous jealousy and he worries he’s going to steal Sigrit (McAdams)…

It was more interesting, though, that he wasn’t there to woo her. He has his issues with his identity and what he’s able to admit to”.

While the Netflix Eurovision movie looks set to spoof the sillier aspects of the song contest, Dan is also aware of Eurovision’s cultural and societal importance. He describes it as a “competition that champions diversity across a continent where huge disparities remain when it comes to LGBTQ acceptance”.

“It’s unbelievable that there are still countries that don’t acknowledge the existence of certain sexualities: it seems mad to me…

There are artists in so many countries who can’t admit it [being LGBTQ], because they’d be in danger. But the best thing about Eurovision is that it’s a haven and a celebration. It champions [LGBTQ rights]…

That’s why Alexander is king of the castle there, because it’s a safe space. For that night, they are celebrated.”

LGBTQ rights in Russia

Dan doesn’t disclose whether Lemtov is gay, bisexual or falls somewhere else on the LGBTQ spectrum. He does, however, touch upon the situation for LGTBQ people in Russia and Chechnya.

“Lemtov is from Chechnya. I looked up Kadyrov’s and Putin’s attitude to gay people, and we didn’t want to belittle that danger in any way. We wanted to get it right and hit the right notes…

After some of the trailers, people wondered if a Russian villain wasn’t very progressive, but I think once people see the film they’ll realise that wasn’t the case”.

Russia has had a gay propaganda law in place since 2013. It is designed to “protect” children from being exposed to homosexuality. In Chechnya, a federal subject of the Russian Federation, there was an “anti-gay purge” in 2017. Police are reported to have rounded up and tortured groups of men suspected of being gay.

Will you watch Eurovision Song Contest: The Story Of Fire Saga when it is released on Netflix on Friday 26 June? Let us know in the comments.

Follow all of our Netflix ‘Eurovision Song Contest: The Story Of Fire Saga’ news.

Total
Shares
Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo
12 days ago

Who wants Zivert in the Eurovision 2021?

Zoe
Zoe
14 days ago

I’m pretty sure that Dima Bilan’s actual winning performance is more cringe and over the top than whatever they came up with in the parody.

srulik
srulik
17 days ago

It’s good they’re having a say in a comedy movie. Hope it comes across well.

18 days ago

Speaking of Russia: looks like this week’s Eurovision Again is 2008! The final was like the only good part of it (save for the winner) so I suppose it won’t be too bad. I’ve figured out that the pre-2004 ones are every other week and the others are ones the EBU has the rights to (1991, then 2018, then 1988, then 2008, so next week is back to the stuff fans are really hoping for).

18 days ago
Reply to  Joe

Oh come on. “Believe” sucked.

17 days ago
Reply to  Joe

It’s not a “great” winner but sucked might be pushing it. I don’t like the over-the-top stage performance but I do enjoy it as a song.

17 days ago
Reply to  Briekimchi

I don’t like his voice, I don’t like the cliche lyrics, I don’t like the overdone production (and it’s Timbaland, he should know better), and I don’t like the staging. I’m genuinely flabbergasted as to how it won besides the usual cheering squad pushing it up the scoreboard plus the votes in general being all over the place. Different strokes for different folks, but it’s not my cup of tea.

Monique
Monique
17 days ago
Reply to  Joe

“Believe sucked” you should add “in my opinion”. I think it is decent song and performance was very good and professional.

Zoe
Zoe
14 days ago
Reply to  Monique

Lol, professional? A professional would bother to pronounce English properly, and wouldn’t do this out of place seducing crawling on the floor, cringe shirt opening, that had nothing to do with the song atmosphere. He acted like he’s singing some sort of sleazy sex song, while actually singing a cliche ballad about whatever, but there was nothing sexy about the song or the songs lyrics. They threw the sex in because they thought “ESC is gay, our singer should be shirtless and moist for this performance no matter what our song is”.

Last edited 14 days ago by Zoe
18 days ago

That’s actually pretty noble of them to incorporate a pretty serious real-life issue into the background of one of their characters.

18 days ago

It was terrifying to read about the anti-gay purge. And no anti-gay it doesn’t protect anyone from anything. Open-minded perhaps. Totally another story when children are aBusED by adult men. How about that?

Last edited 18 days ago by Whisker
Sergey
Sergey
18 days ago

Lazarev is it you? 🙂

18 days ago
Reply to  Sergey

He can be whoever he wants to be in his own terms. Personal freedom.

16 days ago
Reply to  Whisker

Well…if he lives in Russia…it seems he can’t. Like anybody else there.

Lollipop ESC
Lollipop ESC
18 days ago

LGBTQ is a part of Eurovision and that’s okay for me but I have to mention an “off-topic” here ……..I’m 100 % sure that the soundtrack of that movie will be a huge success. The 2 songs we have heared so far are amazing. That gives me hope that the other songs will be stunning too. Just want to say that.

LaZStan
LaZStan
18 days ago

Trash as i suspected. He looks nothing like a person from there. Won’t see that movie.

Ashton
Ashton
18 days ago

I have no choice but to stan

18 days ago