He’s the Russian megastar known for his unique swerve on style, lavish stage shows and total belief in himself. And now Philipp Kirkorov has caught the attention of Hollywood, providing inspiration for the actor Dan Stevens in the Netflix movie Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga.

Philipp, who has dominated Forbes Russia‘s list of the highest-paid pop stars in recent years, has been thrilled to read that Dan turned to Philipp’s performances when preparing to play Alexander Lemtov — the fabulously wealthy Russian singer in the movie.

Speaking to a Filipino entertainment journalist, Dan said: “[The character] is sort of loosely based on a Russian singer called Philipp Kirkorov and his opera-pop style with some outrageous costumes.”

View this post on Instagram

????? ????????? ??????? ?? @netflixfilm Eurovision Song Contest. The Story of fire saga? ???? ?????????? ? ?????????! ???????? ? ???? ??? ??? ?????? ???????? #eurovision … ??? ???????????? ??????? ? ?????? ????????? ??? ?????? @usatoday @nbcdfw ? ?????? ?? ???? ??????, ? ??? ????????? ???????? ?????? ??? ??????? ??? ?????? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ????? ? ?????? ? ? ??? ?? ? ????????????? ??????? ? ????? ????????!?? ????????? @thatdanstevens ?????????????? ? ?????? Eurovision #DreamTeam ? ????????? ????, ????? ??????? ? ??????????? ???? ???????????? ????????? ???????! ? ????? ???? ????? ?? ?????? ???????? ? ???? ??????? ???? ? Yesterday I watched the new product from @netflixfilm Eurovision Song Contest. The Story of fire saga? I recommend it to everyone! Especially this year without #eurovision contest itself … My American colleagues and friends send me articles by @usatoday @nbcdfw and others about this film, and as it turned out, the main character Dan Stevens was studying my style and manners to work on the image ? which he shares with pleasure in his interviews! ?? I invite @thatdanstevens to join our Eurovision #DreamTeam next year to see and enjoy this unforgettable contest from the inside! And I will also wait him on my show during my world tour ? #firesaga #netflix #DanStevens #Kirkorov #Eurovision2020 #Eurovision2021

A post shared by ?????? ???????? (@fkirkorov) on

As you can read in the Insta post above, Philipp is thrilled to know that Dan “was studying my style and manners to work on the image which he shares with pleasure in his interviews!”

“I invite @thatdanstevens to join our Eurovision #DreamTeam next year to see and enjoy this unforgettable contest from the inside! And I will also wait him on my show during my world tour.”

The Dream Team, of course, refers to Philipp’s long-term Eurovision work with collaborators including songwriter Dimitris Kontopoulos, stage director Fokas Evagelinosand creative director Ilias Kokotos

We can see Philipp’s influence elsewhere in the film, too. One of the most talked-about scenes in the movie is the “Song-a-long”, which comes when Dan and several former Eurovision stars — including Loreen, Jamala, and Bilal Hassani — break out into a medley of song at his lavish residence.

This makes us think of Philipp’s birthday party in Lisbon, where he invited all of the Eurovision 2018 delegations and several members of the press to enjoy an evening of food, music and an eight-tier birthday cake. Besides singing his hit “Mood Color Blue”, he enjoyed a guest appearance from Sergey Lazarev, who flew in to celebrate his friend’s big night.

Are you hoping to see Dan Stevens at Eurovision 2021 in Rotterdam? Do you think that he should appear on-stage as a backing vocalist or backing dancer? Which other stars from the world of Eurovision do you think should inspire characters in film? Shout it out below!

Veta
Veta

I personally got rather Alex Sparrow and “Get you” vibes from “Lion of love” performance, especially by that long note in the intro of the song, but this reference seems legit too.

Joseph Shaulov
Joseph Shaulov

I remember he used to do Russian covers of old Eurovision songs. He should do one for Lion of Love

Reply to  Joseph Shaulov

I’ve heard his Russian language version of “La Voix” (Sweden 2009). In a duet with a woman. That was a lot to take in. But I am in for a Russian version of “Lion of Love” but I don’t know about the rights to it.

Veta
Veta

You should definitely check out his “Playing With Fire” Russian version in a duet with Kamaliya too. It’s called “Igra s ognem” (I first tried to write the title in Cyrillic but it turned into question marks lol). Last time I heard it in 2011 I think, but the Russian lyrics from the chorus are still stuck in my head.

Last edited 2 months ago by Veta

How come Philipp’s own entry for Russia back in 1995 was so bad?

TheDrMistery
TheDrMistery

Is that really a main character, though? 😀

Reply to  TheDrMistery

Ya, the antagonist.

Yannis
Yannis

Lets see if he would be happy about making the character gay! hahaha

TheDr Mistery
TheDr Mistery
Reply to  Yannis

Yeah, given the final “twist” I’m surprised Kirkorov appreciates the entire situation.

NIckkarr
NIckkarr

The close friendship of Dan’s character with the Greek singer reflects 100 percent

to Philipp’s long-term work with the Dream team .

Oh what a TREAT this post! Dan Stevens’ acting was MY MOST FAVOURITE part of the movie. He was ab-so-lute-ly BRILLIANT! His talent! His accent! The voice he had for the character! Those beauuutiful blue eyes! That hair! That stage outfit – iirc he wears only one outfit throughout the whole show. His confidence and then the subtle vulnerability of the character! OMG, I FELL IN LOVE! I watched the movie three times this weekend: for Dan Stevens, for the lush elves – that’s my second favourite story in the movie, and then for Rachel McAdams – I love her… Read more »

Reply to  Whisker

Somebody pointed out that there’s a certain irony to Will Ferrell’s character not believing in elves, considering one of his most famous films has him as a man being raised by elves. There’s also Pierce Brosnan playing a guy who hates ABBA and how it reminds him of a wife he no longer has.

Reply to  Joe

That’s so cool!

lisa thompson
lisa thompson
Reply to  Whisker

Thanks I am very proud of my cousin Dan. Being a massive ESC fan since childhood i was stoked he was going to be in the movie. hahaha

I just think that Lemtov (*not Kirkorov*) was preying on Sigrit. Realized it more strongly on my second viewing. Not a nice thing to see. She was smart and innocent enough and her love for Lars very strong but still … That was one part of the story that I hate.

TheDr Mistery
TheDr Mistery

But why was he doing that actually?

Very nice of Kirkorov to invite Dan to the real thing. I hope he will accept the invitation!! It looks like the deal is sealed for Kirkorov at least with Moldova next year.

Ermin
Ermin

My favorite part of the movie is when stars sing together. We need something that glamorous in eSc but ELINA deserved her own moment in the sun, not just an intro for Conchita.

TheDr Mistery
TheDr Mistery
Reply to  Ermin

I thought it was my least favorite moment because it was pure fan service and dragged the movie down. Big reveals will mean nothing for somebody who’ve never seen the contest.

Vlad48
Vlad48
Reply to  TheDr Mistery

It’s pretty hard to succeed perfectly at making Eurovision Fans and American Comedy Fans totally satisfied. But I think this movie, in overall, succeds to do it. As a sincere fan of Eurovision, I was pleased to the comedy side, which is not unrespectfull of the Song Contest. It’s possible also that, if a non-fan and a Eurovision-fan watch the movie togheter, the latter doesn’t understand why the first laughs (exemple, scene where people giving money to Sobral after is outdoor performance).

Last edited 2 months ago by Vlad48
Polliu
Polliu

LOL I thought of three different Russian male artists when I watched the film. I wonder what would those artists think when they watched the film.

James
James

Manny the Movie Guy always get to the good stuff.

When I saw Dan’s performance in the film, I definitely thought immediately of Kirkorov but I missed the Greek link! Credit to Dan for both the research and the end result. A highlight of the film for me.

I feel like the irony of a flamboyant Russian singer who’s tight with Greeks may or may not be lost on him.

VlaD
VlaD

Kirkorov has such a sense of humour and proves that he doesn’t even care about gossips regarding his private life.

Robyn Gallagher
Admin

I’m sure Kirkorov is flattered but not surprised that such a handsome actor is playing the character based on him. And they got the voluminous hair right!