Even in this irregular Eurovision season, there is a regular fixture on the fan calendar — the OGAE Second Chance Contest. Various OGAE fan clubs around Europe (and the rest of the world) decide their top favourite of the national final acts who didn’t win the ticket to Eurovision. Now the candidates for the 2020 edition of the contest have been revealed!
This year’s edition of the “visual event” is hosted by OGAE France, after Destination Eurovision runner-up Seemone won Second Chance 2019 with her song “Tous Les Deux”.
The OGAE clubs whose broadcaster selected their Eurovision entry using a national final were eligible to nominate one non-winning song as their entry for the Second Chance Contest.
The 2020 edition brings fan favourites and surprises alike. One of the largest surprises including Sweden choosing Anna Bergendahl for the second year in a row with “Kingdom Come” over Melodifestivalen runner-up and huge fan favourite Dotter with “Bulletproof”.
Albania, however, has opted for the fan favourite Elvana Gjata with “Me Tana”. Likewise, Finland have gone with UMK televote winner Erika Vikman and her “Cicciolina”. Iceland have selected the hard-rocking Söngvakeppnin runners-up DIMMA with “Almyrkvi”.
While they were selected to go to Eurovision, Romania’s Roxen and Israel’s Eden Alene are in the mix with their alternate national final songs “Cherry Red” and “Roots” respectively.
Between the countries which don’t have OGAE chapters but ran national finals, the OGAE Rest of the World delegation chose one song they deemed their favourite. This year they picked San Marino’s Senhit with her alternate song, “Obsessed”. It is understood that OGAE Belarus opted not to participate in this year’s contest yet again.
The songs will be awarded points by the competing OGAE clubs, with non-competing clubs voting as the jury. The 22 competing acts have been presented in a randomly drawn running order.
OGAE France will announce the contest results later this year.
OGAE Second Chance Contest 2020
- Sweden: Anna Bergendahl – “Kingdom Come”
- Australia: Jaguar Jonze – “Rabbit Hole”
- Slovenia: Lina Kuduzovič – “Man Like U”
- Lithuania: Monique – “Make Me Human”
- Croatia: Indira Levak – “You Will Never Break My Heart”
- Norway: Rein Alexander – “One Last Time”
- Israel: Eden Alene – “Roots”
- Romania: Roxen – “Cherry Red”
- Ukraine: Khayat – “Call for Love”
- Italy: Elodie – “Andromeda”
- Estonia: Jaagup Tuisk – “Beautiful Lie”
- OGAE ROW: Senhit – “Obsessed”
- Czech Republic: Elis Mraz & Čis T – “Wanna Be Like”
- Serbia: Andrija Jo – “Oč i Meduze”
- Poland: Lake Malawi – “Lucy”
- Iceland: Dimma – “Almyrkvi”
- Denmark: Jasmine Rose ft. RoxorLoops – “Human”
- Albania: Elvana Gjata – “Me Tana”
- Finland: Erika Vikman – “Cicciolina”
- Armenia: Tokionine – “Save Me”
- Portugal: Bárbara Tinoco – “Passe-Partout”
- Latvia: Katrīna Dimanta – “Heartbeats”
Poll: Who should win the OGAE Second Chance Contest 2020?
The OGAE clubs will soon pick their favourites, but who do you think should win the 2020 Second Chance Contest? As always, you can vote for as many acts as you like but you can only vote once — so make it count!
Are you surprised by any of the clubs’ choices? Which songs would you have submitted in place of these? And which song do you think deserves to win? Let us know in the comments section below!