Back in May, Slovenian broadcaster RTV SLO confirmed that Ana Soklič had been internally selected to represent Slovenia at Eurovision 2021. The EMA 2020 winner had earned a return ticket to Rotterdam. Now the broadcaster has opened submissions to find Ana’s song for Eurovision 2021.

While Ana was due to take the elegant ballad “Voda” to Eurovision 2020, she says she’s not limited to only singing ballads, saying that she loves songs with “groove and drive”.

Ana also encouraged songwriters to harness their creative energy and “go as far as is possible” with their songwriting. The Slovenian songstress isn’t looking for songs that are playing it safe, and says that when things go a little crazy, that’s when sometimes miracles can happen.

Ana has rich, sultry tones to her voice and as well as singing ballads, she has performed jazz numbers, gospel and has even performed alongside symphony orchestras. She’s a truly versatile performer.

Submissions for Ana’s song have opened now and will close on 30 September 2020. See RTV SLO for more information.

How will Ana Soklič’s song for Eurovision 2021 be selected?

Song submissions will be reviewed by an expert jury of at least three people. They will shortlist a number of songs that will be published by the end of the year at the very latest.

While RTV SLO hasn’t confirmed exactly how Ana’s song for Rotterdam will be chosen, the broadcaster will reveal the song selection rules and voting process at a later date.

This seems to confirm that the song won’t be internally selected and that there still be some sort of public vote. This suggests that RTV SLO may hold an EMA-replacement show, with Ana performing the shortlisted songs — similar to Eden and Roxane’s song selection shows earlier this year.

Or perhaps Slovenia will scale things back and use an online vote, similar to the EMA FREŠ online wildcard contest.

Ana Soklič’s journey to Rotterdam

Ana had competed at EMA twice before, using the stage name Diona Dim in 2004 and 2007. But she finally got her chance earlier this year when Ana won EMA 2020 under her own name. However, as the contest was cancelled in March, Soklič was not able to sing for the Balkan nation this year.

In May — as part of Slovenia’s Eurovision replacement show — RTV SLO confirmed that Ana had been internally selected to represent her country at Eurovision 2021 in Rotterdam.

Read more Slovenia Eurovision news here

Eurobloggs
Eurobloggs
6 days ago

Please bring back EMA FREŠ!!!

Erik
Erik
23 days ago

Now even more parts of the ESC family can digg her music on spotify. Welcome Albania, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Croatia, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia , Ukraine.
Also Kazakhstan from junior ESC and Kosovo that hopefully can join the family soon. Not a day too soon.

Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia an San Mariano still outside, but I guess it’s only a question of time.

Ria van de Velde -NL
Ria van de Velde -NL
24 days ago

“Voda” was a beautiful song and it was one of my favorite songs of 2020. I hope for a ballad just as beautiful as “Voda”

ESCFan2009
ESCFan2009
25 days ago

“Jazz numbers”? I’m always in for some jazz. That would sound exciting, seeing the “Voda” songstress going jazzy 😀

Denis
Denis
25 days ago

So will Barker or Milanov throw their hat in the process and send in three songs?

Last edited 25 days ago by Denis
Reply to  Denis

They must have the songs ready.

Reply to  Whisker

Let me guess: Barker will try again to firmly establish herself as a writer for women – see “Sister” and “Brave” and “Empires” all in the last 2 years.
That being said I hope that Slovenia will keep it local. More local talent the better. And please, not the same names all over again.

Reply to  Denis

Don’t forget about the Debbs. J Debb and L Debb. A couple or siblings, IDK. But they are from Sweden.

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean
25 days ago

Ana got selected for 2021? That’s wonderful, I’m over the moon for her. With her excellent vocal skills and the declining quality of EMA, that was definitely the way to go, although I do hope it’ll come back in future years with a decent bunch of entries. I wish Zeljko would write a song for Ana. He’s written for Serbia & Montenegro, Serbia, Montenegro and BiH. Why not help Slovenia crack the top 5, too?

25 days ago

“It doesn’t have to be a ballad” but can it be written by Swedish? Will MIHAI make a submission? LOL. Joke aside: I was so impressed with Ana’s voice and powerful delivery of Voda!!! She surely is a great performer and the broadcaster made the right decision to keep her as their representative for next year. So, best of luck to Ana!
I have no idea what style will suit her best but I surely hope she could be part of the “expert jury”. I mean, she’s the one who will perform the song!!

25 days ago

If my song doesn’t make it but a Mihai composition does I will be irked. You know, if I actually have the stones to go through with this!

Reply to  Joe

Hahaha. My comment was very much tongue-in-cheek. Do tell whether you submitted a song so I can keep mu fingers crossed for you 🙂
Mihai would most likely be featured here on this site if he says he submitted songs for one or more broadcasters. A bit of running joke, yes I know. I cannot forgive him for how he talked about Roxen.

25 days ago

I remember being amazed by her performance in EMA, though I wasn’t expecting her textbook ballad to win. It’s true that they haven’t had any special song to pick… So Slovenia has a good opportunity here. Find her a good song, because Ana can deliver!

25 days ago

I still think she’s getting a ballad. 😉

RavensHeart
RavensHeart
25 days ago

Nothing can be worse than Voda
Fingers crossed

25 days ago

Just curious: are the rules that it has to be in Slovenian? Because I’m actually seriously considering throwing my hat in the ring with a song I think might suit her voice!

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Joe

Surely do it! I’m not sure about the rules but you could translate some stuff if you have to! I’m sure everyone here at Wiwibloggs would support u 🙂

Badwoolfgirl
Badwoolfgirl
Reply to  Joe

Are you actually a songwriter?

Reply to  Badwoolfgirl

I dabble! Gimme a voice memo and a rudimentary understanding of Amadeus Pro and we’re cooking. Been meaning to see if anything could be decent enough for a Eurovision selection and this might be the ticket!

Reply to  Joe

Wow, that sounds SO EXCITING!

SMR
SMR
25 days ago

Okay, now to serious business, I wish that she gets a song that serves her vocals right. She is an amazing vocalist and they need to show that off. Her cover of “Suus” proved that the girl CAN SING!

Last edited 25 days ago by SMR
SMR
SMR
25 days ago

I hope she gets an ultimate pop banger called “Brownie Cake” composed by Dimitris Kontopoulos, Filipp Kirkorov, Alex P, Borislav Milanov, Thomas G:son and Laurell Barker, and the staging will of course be made by Sacha Jean-Baptiste!

Last edited 25 days ago by SMR