Little official news has come from Cyprus broadcaster CyBC about their plans for Eurovision 2021 — other than confirmation that Sandro won’t be coming back to Rotterdam. And yet rumours are hotting up, with many Greek and Cypriot stars dropping big hints about their Eurovision dreams. Let’s take a look at the names that are out there.

In recent weeks, names of potential acts have been furiously flying around, with seemingly most popular Greek and Cypriot acts showing interest in Eurovision 2021.

Greek blog Eurovision Fun has been keeping track of all the speculation. They note that with Greek broadcaster ERT having already internally selected Stefania for Rotterdam, that leaves Cyprus as the main alternative for any Greek artist wanting a shot at Eurovision.

Despina Savva

Despina is an Australian-born singer of Greek heritage. She’s been competing on the current series of The Voice Australiaalongside Johnny Manuel. She made it as far as the Showdowns round before narrowly missing out on the semi-finals. However, as she is only 15, Despina isn’t yet old enough for Eurovision — but who knows what the future might hold.

Ian Stratis

Also throwing his hat in the ring is Greek singer Ian Stratis. He was one of the three acts rumoured to be representing Cyprus in 2020. But it seems that the Greek X Factor runner-up is still interested. When asked on a Greek chat show about doing Eurovision, Ian said, “Eurovision is a very good opportunity and I would like to represent Greece or Cyprus.”

Eirini Papadopoulou

Eirini Papadopoulou is a Kazakh-Greek singer and came to fame on the first Greek series of the X Factor in 2008. She’s since juggled a music career and reality TV stardom, featuring on Greek shows such as Dancing With the Stars and Survivor. Eirini reportedly submitted a song for consideration to the Greek broadcaster last year, written by “Toy” hitmaker Doron Medalie.

Ivi Adamou

The Cyprus-born singer Ivi Adamou is best known to Eurovision fans for representing her country at Eurovision 2012, with the fan favourite “La La Love”. Ivi was also rumoured to be under consideration for Eurovision 2020, but was unavailable as she’d recently given birth and didn’t have the time.

Konnie Metaxa with Tasos Xiarcho

Konnie and Tasos are fresh from winning the Greek reality show Just the 2 of Us where a celebrity (choreographer Tasos) teams up with an established singer (Konnie). Meanwhile, Konnie’s dad has been telling local media that the pair is about to accept an offer to do Eurovision — but he didn’t specify if it would be for Greece, Cyprus or some other country.

Melisses

The pop-rock band Melisses (The Bees) previously competed in the Greek national final in 2010 with the song “Kinezos”, and there has been previous speculation that the group might be selected for Eurovision. While they haven’t explicitly talked about Eurovision 2021, they did like a comment wanting them to do Eurovision — and that’s got fans wondering.

Vangelis Kakouriotis

Greek pop icon Vangelis Kakouriotis has previously been rumoured for representing Greece at Eurovision. He recently shared his wish to represent Cyprus at Eurovision. In an interview, he said “I feel ready and am ready for such a move! Cyprus has always supported me in every step, it will be my great joy and honour if I am given the opportunity to support it too!”

Update: Katerina Stikoudi

The Greek singer/model/actress has recently expressed her thoughts on Eurovision. In an interview with Hello! Cyprus magazine, when asked about Eurovision, Katerina said that her “biggest motivation to go to Eurovision would be a very good and strong song.”

What has Cyprus broadcaster CyBC said?

CyBC has given little information about its selection plans for 2021, however Greek-language Eurovision news site Eurovision Fun recently reported that the broadcaster will select either an artist popular in Greece and Cyprus or an artist with Cypriot heritage.

The broadcaster has, however, dispelled a rumour that claimed that 2018 star Eleni Fouriera would be coming back to represent Cyprus in 2021.

According to Eurovision Fun, a source from the broadcaster has said that CyBC “has accepted proposals from both artists and composers and will not take hasty action but will proceed rationally in order to make the best possible choice.”

Eurovision Fun also notes that much will depend on the proposals made by the record companies representing the potential artists. CyBC will apparently begin exploratory discussions next month.

What do you think? Should any of these acts represent Cyprus in Rotterdam? What sort of entry should Cyprus send to Eurovision 2021? Tell us your thoughts below.

Read more Cyprus Eurovision news here

Iván el Conquistador
Iván el Conquistador
18 days ago

I remember saying this and I’ll say it again. Cyprus should leave the big names for 2022 and afterwards, gven how 2021 will be a crowded year with some fan favourites from 2020 and other surprises from countries who will not use the same artists.

18 days ago

There are fan favourites every year?

17 days ago
Reply to  MadProffessor

exactly. he really hasnt thought that out before he posted it!

17 days ago

That is ridiculous and is putting way to much thought into it!
carried over performers will have no advantage over any one else,be song and performance voted on,on the night and decided by people who dont put as much thought into all this as you and indeed me. ridiculous!

Marios
Marios
18 days ago

I really don’t understand how it is possible for my country to consider singers like Eirini Papadopoulou , Ivi Adamou , Vangelis Kakouriotis , Konnie Metaxa.
All these artists have no charisma, they never managed to release one single hit in Greece or Cyprus and have proven that don’t have what it gets for a stage like Eurovision

18 days ago
Reply to  Marios

Then what is the best solution for Cyprus from a Cypriot fan’s perspective?

Iván el Conquistador
Iván el Conquistador
18 days ago
Reply to  Marios

At least, you come from a country where the public broadcaster actually tries to get good results in the ESC. People from other countries cannot say the same, being Spain the main example of what I’ve said.

17 days ago

for such a beautiful language for a song if in spanish and the universal appeal if in English,Spain really are an embarassment.They have made some good attempts,but then appear over choreographed on the night,and leave you with that “just something missing” feeling

18 days ago
Reply to  Marios

Said the guy who got dressed up as a superman and tried to represent Cyprus like that in 2015

Marios
Marios
17 days ago
Reply to  MadProffessor

Who is that guy? I don’t know to whom you refer. But there are several artists with charisma in our country that can take the ESC stage. Even Valando Trifonos that won the Greek Idol show,or even this young talented girl from the voice in Australia. Or Michael Hatzigiannis.

17 days ago
Reply to  Marios

I agree I dont see great talent in Ivi adamou,shes no eleni or paparaziou.la la love was a good track that a better female performer could have elevated much further.As for this vangelis guy,watched some you tubes he seems pre occupied with looking good and posing,the vocal ability leaves a lot to be desired. I am glad sandro is being replaced,why they ever went there to begin with who knows,but so far the suggestions for next year (if true) dont inspire me with great hope either

Pineaple
Pineaple
19 days ago

I’d be fine with any of them as long as it isn’t Ivi Adamou. Nothing against her personally, she’s great. but she’s had her chance and I feel someone else deserves a shot if they’re not going to stick with Sandro. Plus it would seem rather desperate if they just send another stereotypically attractive female singer with a “bop”. I don’t want Cyprus to get into a habit of doing the same thing over and over again just because it worked for them once in 2018.

17 days ago
Reply to  Pineaple

adamou hasnt a hope at eurovision,shes not good enough. somehow I suspect it could be her tho

Bram Wammes
Bram Wammes
19 days ago

I really hope to see Leea Nanos at Eurovision sometime… (Greece or Cyprus)

ESC SSS
ESC SSS
16 days ago
Reply to  Bram Wammes

Leea Nanos? Not a bad candidate.

19 days ago

Off-topic, but I completely forgot that Eurovision Again is doing its once-a-month special today! Going back to 1999 (so add Kan to the list of very chill broadcasters – heck, the old Israeli channel had both that and 1999 posted for years, but the quality here is obviously way better). More thoughts when the usual post is made.

Reply to  Joe

*1979

19 days ago

You may add Katerina Stikoudi in the list. She gave an interview to Hello magazine and said she would do it but only with the right song.

Of all the names mentioned so far I think the following 3 have the highest chances:

1. ————-
2. Ivi Adamou

If both of the above say no then

3. Eirini Papadopoulou

Marios
Marios
18 days ago
Reply to  MadProffessor

What is CYBC thinking? Both Ivi and Eirini lack charisma.
Time for a Cyprus to stay in the semifinal.

18 days ago
Reply to  Marios

I don’t know about Eirini but Ivi was very nice and engaged in 2012. My only criticism of Cyrus that year is that they had a Swedish song. And that it wa a bit too revealing. But overall the presentation that year was ok.

18 days ago
Reply to  Marios

You’d love that wouldn’t you? It would give you pleasure and thrill. I wonder how that is called in psychology

Marios
Marios
17 days ago
Reply to  MadProffessor

No I wouldn’t. Cyprus is my country so I wouldn’t. We just need a good singer. And not a bad copy of Eleni Foureira.Something that worked 3 years ago won’t work again, in a bad version. Ivi destroyed an amazing song, 10 years ago. Eirini Papadopoulou has zero charisma. She is nothing on stage. I really wonder what RIK is thinking.

17 days ago
Reply to  Marios

Marios,you speak the truth.
LA LA love was clearly a fan favourite,but they seem to forget,it wasnt performed especially well,and Cyprus has so much better to choose from.
I just dont get Ivi Adamou as the performer to make a difference.
Was glad sandro was replaced,but starting to worry now,theres another disaster of a decision looming!

Jake
Jake
19 days ago

I think it will be Ivi. But apparently, her husband wants to write a song for her and CyBC wants to recieve songs from all over the Europe and chose the best one.

ESC SSS
ESC SSS
19 days ago

I think it’s either Vangelis Kakouriotis or Ian Stratis representing Cyprus next year. Honorable mentions will be like Josephine Wendel, Elena Tsagkrinou, Lila Trianti, Christina Loizu, Marios Tofi, Valando Trifonos, Charis Savva, and Sophia Pathsalides.

Esc1234
Esc1234
19 days ago

Konnie and tassos are a great duo, tassos is also a creative director and in my opinion even better than SJP and Evangelinos, it’s a matter of time to have him in the contest

19 days ago

Wiwibloggs. Please address this. I am unable to make any comments that are disagreeing in nature (as in just saying “I don’t agree”), which is a complete inhibition of free speech. If that was it I wouldn’t be as upset but the fact that comments of severe homophobia and blatant racism are allowed to kept on while anything I say is deleted is truly upsetting. I would expect better from this website

Eastman
Eastman
Reply to  Ashton

Um dude freedom of speech does not apply to private websites. It is to do with governments censoring citizens. Or do you think the government is controlling wiwibloggs lol?

Reply to  Eastman

Freedom of speech applies everywhere. That is why it is called “freedom” of speech.

19 days ago

I see. I was not aware of this rule. It seems weird to me (but I get why in principle). Thanks for letting me know. 🙂

Reply to  Ashton

I wish it applied everywhere…North Korea, Russia, China…and anyway, your freedom hasn’t been denied. You can speak however you like, that doesn’t mean Wiwi have to publish it.

Reply to  Jonas

P.S. Even if what you said was right…

Reply to  Eastman

OMG please stop saying these things. Private citizens or companies can infringe on other people’s rights. Not only govs. Jeez.

19 days ago

I understand that but 1, that was not the only comment of mine that has been deleted, and 2, I don’t understand how the anti-spam filter works. Because I know that I’m not the only one who has brought up this issue and it honestly seems random. I don’t get how an anti-spam filter can filter out comments while leaving in ones that make light of blackface or say that gay people should not be allowed in Eurovision. That just seems a bit strange to me, but idk :/

19 days ago

And just to clarify, I have nothing against you nor the website in general. In fact, you and other Wiwibloggs writers have written many amazing articles that I love. I only have an issue with the spam filter since it doesn’t seem to work all that well

19 days ago

I don’t mind any of them. 🙂

Ermin
Ermin
19 days ago

I have no opinion, because Corona will go away in 2022. No hope for next year.

Reply to  Ermin

can you see the future, Ermin? surely tell us your secrets of future knowledge with the rest of us

Last edited 19 days ago by Ashton
Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo
Reply to  Ermin

In the netherlands, they said events were allowed from July!

Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo
Reply to  Hyunwoo
Mita
Mita
19 days ago

Only the girl from the voice is interesting.

Kwstas17
Kwstas17
19 days ago

Melisses don’t want to represent Cyprus.
CYBC begs them every year and they reject the offer.

Reply to  Kwstas17

EVERY year? They only asked them in 2020.

19 days ago

It’s rich of the broadcaster to drop an artist chosen through internal selection so far in advance and with such debatable reason. I just abhor situations when people are used and then dropped when they seemingly lost their value or when/if something better comes along. This is how I view the situation based on the information published here.
So I don’t have an opinion on artists for 2021.

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean
19 days ago

Maybe he didn’t meet their expectations. And maybe he wasn’t their first choice to begin with and now their first choice has become available for 2021. Although if it’s something like ‘La La Love’, I neither consider it a first choice, nor much of an improvement.

Last edited 19 days ago by Mr Vanilla Bean
19 days ago

I sort of see your points Mr Bean but I do maintain my position as per my comment above. Whatever the reason or reasons could be, that does not change what I find to be a very upsetting behaviour. Reasons vs. behaviour. I do not want to find ways to legimitize something that I think is very wrong. And upsetting.

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean
19 days ago

Both of our opinions are valid, of course. To me, selecting new artists for 2021 internally and through NFs is perfectly fine. It’s a competition, broadcasters should try to get the best they can get. I’m sure Russia would agree after their self-inflicted 2018 disaster.

Last edited 19 days ago by Mr Vanilla Bean
19 days ago

OK. I think Russia had chosen Yulia for all the wrong reasons for that first edition but Russia did the right thing in keeping her as an internally selected artist for the following contest no matter what reasons the broadcaster had. It was the right choice about the artist vs. probably questionable reasons which I will not dwelve into right now.

I would like agree 100% with your point about selecting artists for 2021 but I can’t do it. I just can’t. I am so disappointed by Cy.

Eastman
Eastman
19 days ago

Apparently he was difficult to work with and the song at the end was not great. The broadcaster did not want to go thru that again another year.

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean
Reply to  Eastman

I don’t know about the person but that the song was not great is pretty much a fact. The evidence is overwhelmingly bad. haha

Reply to  Eastman

Jeez again. Speculating about him is so wrong. “Apparently”. Where does that come from? One thing is to speculate on someone else’s character. Very different from characterizing “Running” as a bad song. Which is also quite subjective and I am saying this as someone who did not like the song.

Reply to  Eastman

And I honestly do not believe that he was difficult to work with. Not in a million years. Cy *gave* him the opportunity to represent them on the big stage. That should not make someone difficult to work with but rather grateful for the opportunity.
Do you actually understand how bad and unfair your comment is?

19 days ago

You can believe what you want but you don’t have inside information of what went on. Cybc came very close to ditching him many times before the deadline. They already came up with a plan B. The reason was he didn’t like any of the songs he was offered and wanted to pick one of his songs which the broadcaster found unsuitable for the contest. Anyhow even his manager has ditched him and he now goes by the name “Sammy Rotten”. I feel sorry for the guy cause he’s got talent but he is not as talented as he thinks… Read more »

Reply to  MadProffessor

Oh my god, how classy of you. Not!!

Lucia
Lucia
19 days ago

Eirini Papadopoulou, Ian Stratis,Konnie Metaxa with Tasos Xiarcho, are my favorites. Best choices. 🙂

Last edited 19 days ago by Lucia