It’s the country that confirmed its 2021 artist very soon after the cancellation of Eurovision 2020 in March. And up to now, Israel’s song selection plans were unknown.

But, after plenty of speculation, the outline for The Next Song For Eurovision 2021 seems to be clear.

Israel’s song selection process for Eurovision 2020

According to Euromix, KAN has already started looking for companies to produce the 16-track selection. We now know that the format of the super-sized song selection is as follows:

• Out of all songs sent to the committee, KAN will choose 16 songs to participate in the qualification round.
  • Online qualification round: Fans will get to choose eight songs of the 16 to move forward to the semi-final.
  • Live semi-finals: The eight songs will be performed, although not necessarily by Eden, in two four-song semi-finals live on KAN.
  • Grand final: Eden will then perform her final four songs live, with final staging.

We also know the method in which the best eight songs from the qualification round will secure semi-final spots. Rather than a regular 50/50 points split, a professional jury and the public will select their respective top fours. The eight songs will then move forward to the live shows.

Given what Israel had to offer us last year, expectations are high.

Since 16 is a very large number of songs for a one-artist selection, the contest is already in the works. Israeli media claims Lucy Ayoub, host of Eurovision 2019 and the 2020 Israeli song selection show, will host this programme too.

Israel’s past selections

In recent years, Israel’s song selection method hasn’t always been consistent.

The long-running KDAM selection was ditched after 2013. In 2014, Israel organised a one artist national selection with Mei Finegold singing three songs. Since 2015, The Next Star talent show has been used to select the artist. The song has typically been internally selected, although this was not the case for 2016 and 2020.

However, despite all the changes, Israel has become one of the most consistently successful Eurovision countries, making the final every year from 2015 on.

Eden Alene won Israel’s artist selection back in February, but her song “Feker Libi” won the song national final in March.

What do you think of the new song selection format for Eden? Are 16 songs too many, or just right? Let us know in the comments below.

Follow all of our Israel Eurovision 2021 news.

Shahar Tal Goldfeld
Shahar Tal Goldfeld

Sixteen songs for Eden? Whichever one wins doesn’t matter as much as the fact that there will be SIXTEEN new Eden songs!

GEE
GEE

Israel will win with a song called “You say Annex, I Say Yes!”

Ana
Ana
Reply to  GEE

Are you equally vocal about the annexation of Cr!mea? Or you only seeking justice when Israel is involved?

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Ana

Everyone should be vocal about both. Both of them are outstanding crimes. Not to mention a lot of other crimes committed by other European countries.

Sal
Sal
Reply to  Ashton

Great, look forward to seeing your comments on articles about Russia 🙂

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Sal

I literally said and a lot of other crimes committed by other European countries. Russia included.

Ana
Ana
Reply to  Ashton

So lets make Eurovision another miserable place to talk about what everyone did wrong. God knows that Europe has quite a history of good deeds. Especially some of the big 5.

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Ana

no, let’s use Eurovision as an opportunity to make change in the world by calling out horrible practices.

ESC SSS
ESC SSS

Hmm, let’s see about this NF format for next year. I bet it will be successful.

Sounds like a bit of a long process to arrive at a four-song, one-artist final. Can’t imagine that Eden is really going to be asked to prepare eight different routines and practise eight songs in the SFs either.

Shahar Tal Goldfeld
Shahar Tal Goldfeld
Reply to  Briekimchi

As someone who actually knows her, and spent several weeks with her… She absolutely would.

Marc
Marc

Some facts. All televotings voted for the following entries but..
– Sweden: all but Croatia
– Iceland: all but Croatia, Slovenia and France
– Germany: all but Cyprus
– Croatia: all but Denmark, Norway and UK
– Israel: all but UK
– Estonia: all but Croatia and Cyprus
(Some countries didn’t use televoting as usual)

Last edited 3 months ago by Marc
Maya G
Maya G

I like that they’re slowly building towards a full-on national final for 2022. Public interest in Israel is still high after winning and hosting it here, so it’s good they do their best to maintain the buzz rather than select a song internally. However, I fear that 16 songs for just one singer is a bit too much. At the very best we’ll have 2 or 3 songs emerging as favorites right from the beginning, and the rest would be straw candidates and filler songs. The whole process might be tedious. Perhaps it would be better to save that elaborate… Read more »

ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA

16 songs is too many for one performer in my opinion especially since it mentions in the article that the eight songs in the semi finals won’t all necessarily be sung by Eden. They could have just been more efficient by having her sing three songs in one show instead.

Dani
Dani
Reply to  ESCFanGA

But with more there is more of a chance to win

Nobody Important
Nobody Important

Quality over quantity.

James
James

Why is KAN making their selection process harder and complicated than it should be?

These Eurovision Again are such a treasure trove of information. Israel’s entries of 1999 and 2020 had the same name! A boys band and a very nice young woman.

Badwoolfgirl
Badwoolfgirl

Oh, I didn’t catch that.

Heyey
Heyey

I trust Israel in making a good national final. They have shown great success with “Next Rising Star” and last year with Eden’s song selection. However, I have my doubts of this concept they are willing to take next year. 16 songs just seems like a lot for one person and it will take time and patience for the fans to listen to the songs and choose the best ones. I fear that the songs will all be of the same style or that nothing stands out from all of them. Also, it’s pretty unwise to let OTHER people sing… Read more »

Idan Cohen
Idan Cohen

I loved Feker Libi and I wanted it to be performed in Rotterdam. But now, when a new year is here, I really wish for her to do something like “Where have you been” that she performed in the final of the Next rising star. She’s really good with upbeat dance songs that require high notes and dancing, and I feel that Feker Libi (as much as I love it) doesn’t use her skills entirely. Plus, I also want us to go either 100% Hebrew this year or go something Poppy 100%. I kinda feel like this “ethno pop” has… Read more »

Last edited 3 months ago by Idan Cohen

Why would people other than Eden perform the songs in the semis? You can’t have other people perform songs meant for Eden. The performer makes a huge difference. Say Eden performs two out of four songs per semi and you know what songs go thru the final.The oddity of this.

Chromium
Chromium
Reply to  Whisker

I would imagine it to be something like the US songwriting competition “Songland” where the songwriter sings their own entry in the first round. The final round is when the artist sings the finalized song/s.

Tom
Tom

Nice idea Israel! ESC 2021 season looks extraordinary already

Reply to  Tom

I hope other countries will take note. I am tired of all the secrecy that some countries display in their quest for a win.

Badwoolfgirl
Badwoolfgirl

I don’t think it’s so much secrecy as just not broadcasting every plan and move they are making.

Reply to  Badwoolfgirl

Hi Badwoolfgirl. I see your point but I do firmly believe that some broadcaster are secretive because they want to have their best shot a good result, including a win. Some broadcasters will have more money and interest or their public will expect more of them, like a national song festival for example. That’s OK. Others don’t have much money or they prefer to spend their money on an internal selection because that would optimize their chances at a good result. Examples – I have much more respect for let’s say, Lithuania, because even if the quality of their songs… Read more »

Ashton
Ashton

preachhh, especially this year since we have now had post-Eurovision depression for nearly 2 years you would think that the broadcasters would want to share more info to keep everyone sated

Reply to  Ashton

Hahaha this is so funny. Now let’s hope more broadcasters will come up with nice ideas to draw *positive* attention to their selection. San Marino is doing great I believe and I think they deserve more love. If anything, *this* is the year when broadcasters should do more because we already know about half the artists that will participate next year.

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean

I don’t think this is a good idea. The chance to get 16 good or even decent songs at once is like zero. Just look at basically all the NFs (maybe minus Sanremo).

I agree and at the same time I think that 16 great songs for one person for a one-time event would be a waste. Great songs should deserve a big stage. The only good thing about 16 songs would be if more songwriters were given the opportunity to enter 1 song each, max 2 songs in co-credit. As in encouraging the Israeli music industry to create. And giving a platform to more songwriters. As in not diluting quality but encouraging creativity.

Ashton
Ashton

I think it’s an okay idea. I get your misgivings about it, but, logistically, there is more chance that there is a good song among a wide selection. I do worry that Eden will be rly drained by the end of all this tho. But for me, I love discovering new music, so the more songs the better! (But I do understand and sorta agree with your trepidation).