Darin Comes Out As Gay - Pride

He’s the Swedish popstar with multiple bestselling albums and hit singles to his name. And on Monday 3 August, Darin came out as gay via a short post shared on his Instagram and Facebook accounts.

Darin comes out as gay

The 33-year-old shared his story just as the annual pride celebrations drew to a close in the country’s capital, Stockholm.

“Everyone in the world should be able to be proud and accepted for who they are”, writes Darin. “I know how difficult it can be. Took me a while, but I am proud to be gay. Happy pride!”.

The message is accompanied by a picture of the “Nobody Knows” singer standing by a rugged sun-drenched coastline. He looks ahead, away from the camera.

Well wishes quickly flew in from fans and his peers in the music industry. Oscar Zia, Benjamin Ingrosso and Eric Saade were among those to leave messages of support.

“Speak your truuutthhh!!! Glad Pride” wrote international hitmaker Zara Larsson.

Darin and Eurovision

Darin’s big break came when he competed on the first season of Swedish Idol  in 2004. He came second — two places higher than Loreen.

In 2010, Darin took part in Meldifestivalen — Sweden’s Eurovision selection show. He finished fourth with the mid-tempo ballad “You’re Out Of My Life”.

Three years later, he joined “Release Me” songstress Agnes to perform as part of the “Swedish Voices” interval act in the second semi-final of Eurovision 2013.

After several English-language releases, Darin reverted to his native tongue with his 2015 album Fjärilar i magen. The success of this record along with its 2017 follow-up Tvillingen paved the way for other Swedish stars to do likewise to equal acclaim.

However, the Swedish-language renaissance has yet to have a significant impact on Melodifestivalen.

Have you missed Darin at Melodifestivalen? Do you think he’ll make a Mello comeback in the future? Let us know below.

Follow all of our Sweden Eurovision news.

ESC SSS
ESC SSS

Never heard any of his music, but congrats to him 😀

Ron
Ron
Reply to  ESC SSS

You should check him out (if you like pop music). His “Exit” album is amazing!

oscillate
oscillate

Some of you are really insensitive and devoid of any empathy. We undergo this process differently, and for many of us, it is a STRUGGLE. There is no template. If announcing to the world that he is gay is Darin’s way of culminating the struggle and heading forward to a new start, then so be it. Though I wish that someday we will wake up in a world that this is no longer “necessary” – but for now, it still is despite the significant strides in recent decades.

Reply to  oscillate

I agree! If only everybody was as nonchalant as some of the commenters here…sadly, that’s not the case. If you’re not interested, just don’t click on the article. Simple.

Reply to  oscillate

It would be great to live in world where everyone can express their identity with no fear. There are still men and women living in “open-minded societies” that are afraid of doing that and live their lives in unhappy relationships just because their family or community are not that open-minded. Then we could also have more LGBTIQ+ in high positions of power and leadership. The world would be so much better.

Ron
Ron

For all those who say “it’s not a big deal”, it definitely is for someone like Darin. Even though he lives in Sweden, he is of Kurdish/conservative origin and to be able to break all those cultural and social barriers and embrace who he is…is well a big deal and I’m very happy for him.

Reply to  Ron

I agree. Also, in my understanding, when someone admits to being LGBTQ+ and is part of a conservative community, it is not only the person that “exposes” itself but this statement can affect, possibly negatively, its family too. So I can understand the pride aspect because there is much more at stake than the person’s life.

Ron
Ron

Absolutely. A lot of times families disown their children otherwise their entire community will disown them. It’s very sad. He has probably struggled a lot with this which is why it took him this long to come out. Wish him all the best.

Guilbert Enriquez
Guilbert Enriquez

Who’s next? I have 3 in my list. LOL

Pontus
Pontus

do you count yourself?

ESC SSS
ESC SSS

Maybe Julia Kedhammar, Molly Hammar, Peg Parnevik, Molly Sanden, Frida Sanden, Mimmi Sanden, Felix Sandman, Dotter, Omar Rudberg, Nova Miller, Laleh, Samir & Viktor, Renaida, Margaret, and Skott?

Pineaple
Pineaple

I’m very supportive of Darin and I am pleased for him that he is comfortable in himself, but is this really worth reporting on? Why should someone’s sexuality need an article about it? I get that Wiwibloggs does have quite a large LGBTQ+ following and the majority of it’s staff are gay, but I honestly don’t see why this kind of thing belongs on a Eurovision news site. Someone’s sexuality shouldn’t be a headline. Darin is gay… so what? I honestly struggle to see why there needs to be a report made about it. Darin coming out was probably an… Read more »

Esc addict
Esc addict
Reply to  Pineaple

I mean the guy is melfest related then he is eurovision related, he makes a public and an important statement about himself, as he is a public person it can help some people to assume who they are, in this case it’s more than logical and important for wiwibloggs to report it.

Last edited 10 months ago by Esc addict
Esc addict
Esc addict
Reply to  Esc addict

Nobody has obliged you to click on it and to read it if you don’t feel it don’t take attention to it, it’s so simple….

Neleh
Neleh
Reply to  Pineaple

I think Pineapple meant “so what” in a sense that this news really has nothing to do with Eurovision at all. Nor does Darin tbh. And you as a admin really shouldn’t criticise readers for having an opinion and telling us to go to other sites smh. We like Wiwibloggs, we stayed tuned here all year long after Eurovision is all done and exchange opinions and updates. Maybe if you don’t like different opinions than yours you shouldn’t have the comment section? And I also think that this kind of articles are not relevant to Eurovision, and I wish there… Read more »

Reply to  Neleh

Excuse you? Eurovision exists because of people. Darin is part of the Eurovision experience. I find it was kind of Robyn to elegantly direct readers towards other websites in case they don’t enjoy these editorial choices. Wiwibloggs provides articles on a diversity of topics. I am super ok with people celebrating who they are and I am happy Wiwibloggs supports them. It’s a VERY big deal. As for the comments, Wiwibloggs allowed the comment on the website, they didn’t delete it. And expecting more “informative” articles when there is little going on or broadcasters keep their plans under wraps is… Read more »

Milan
Milan
Reply to  Whisker

If Wiwibloggs provides articles on a diversity of topics, then they might consider changing the blog subtitle to e.g. “Eurovision and other news with attitude”.

Reply to  Milan

I understood “diversity of topics” in the context of Eurovision – Eurovision-related. I am always happy to learn more about Eurovision artists if we consider national selections too, not only the big contest. Some artists have a fan base or have new music to promote. So I welcome this kind of content. Not quarrels between artists though.

Reply to  Milan

Darin is not completely unconnected to the contest. This is the off-season. Stop complaining.

Milan
Milan
Reply to  Jonas

You’re right in that Darin is not completely unconnected to the contest (he is certainly more connected than I am) – but I found the Admin comment rather off-putting nevertheless. Anyway, the sentence “Maybe if you don’t like different opinions than yours you shouldn’t have the comment section?” made my day 🙂

Last edited 10 months ago by Milan
Denis
Denis
Reply to  Pineaple

It has everything to do with ESC. He once competed in Melfest, which automatically makes it ESC related. And they made an article about him because so did everybody else. It was pretty big news. And no sexuality shouldn’t matter but Darin himself made it into a thing when he announced it. Why else would you announce it? For him and many others your sexuality is a part of who you are. Darin wants simply to say that being gay is who he is.
And Darin isn’t just a random star either, he is a huge star here in Sweden

WannaEatMySpaghetti
WannaEatMySpaghetti

I’m afraid my comment will be completely misunderstood but let’s do it. I’m always happy to see celebrity making their coming out because it can help the ones that are afraid of doing it (personnally Tom Daley’s coming out helped me a lot). But I have a problem with one sentence… “I’m proud to be gay”. I mean there’s nothing bad about it but I never felt I had to say that before or after doing my comong out. I’m proud of who I am, my entire personality and not only my sexual orientation. You’ll never hear heteros saying they’re… Read more »

I think that the *pride* part comes in opposition to being “shamed” for being “different” than the “mainstream”, by the “mainstream”. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that.:)

Milan
Milan

I agree with your comment. The entire “pride” concept seemed quite strange to me (as you say, there’s nothing bad about being gay but why being proud of it?) – until a person on this blog kindly explained to me that it is not about being gay, it is about being gay AND surviving everything that comes with it (in some countries not any more but still in many others) – this is what one should be proud of and I kind of understand that. But, many people seem to miss the point and assume that being gay is reason… Read more »

WannaEatMySpaghetti
WannaEatMySpaghetti
Reply to  Milan

Thanks for the answers. I have to admit I never thought this way because I live in an open-minded country

Dawid
Dawid

Just ignore people who’ll attack you for that. They seek for conflict wherever they can

Right!

Milla
Milla

That surprised me a bit. Or not.. has he ever been seen with a girl in tabloids? But it doesn’t matter. He’s a great artist. Darin has been on my wishlist for Melodifestivalen the past five years and still is. He should definetely give it another go!

Reply to  Milla

Have you heard of “beards”?

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean

During this interval, I remember thinking ‘Why didn’t they choose something awesome like ‘Nobody knows’ to represent them on homeground instead of the most boring entry ever? I’m still at a loss.

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean

I believe he could have easily won Eurovision, but such progressive songs hardly ever make it to Melodifestivalen. I actually really liked his 2010 MF song ‘You’re out of my life’s, but it can’t hold a candle to ‘Nobody knows’.

Eurovision fan
Eurovision fan

Is Blas Canto gay?

Esc addict
Esc addict
Reply to  Eurovision fan

If he is or not is it so important ?! We don’t need to know it to appreciate him or his songs. He has choosen to keep his private life for him, it’s his right.

Erasmus
Erasmus
Reply to  Esc addict

True, but I think he already came out as bisexual (I may be wrong but I read that somewhere)

Reply to  Erasmus

I chuckled when I read “inclusive language”. So confusing. Is it one or the other? Is it both? Why not use “un ex-amor” since “amor” can stand for a girl or a boy or “something in between”. *Does it really matter?*

cats and dogs eurovision
cats and dogs eurovision
Reply to  Esc addict

He just asked? No need to be rude

Fionn
Fionn
Reply to  Esc addict

Ya but we wanna know cuz he’s really hot and it’s hard being gay and not knowing who else is gay

Jake
Jake
Reply to  Eurovision fan

I think he is gay, I even heard that he is or was in relationship with someone from his team (some producer, idk), but it was a long time ago and don’t know if it’s true.

Denis
Denis

LOL, all those teenage girls and middle age mums getting their hearts broken..

Reply to  Denis

They can still like him and enjoy his music.

Denis
Denis
Reply to  Whisker

Of course they can. But they had a crush on him you see. His fanbase are mostly mums and teenage girls who find him cute and had a crush on him.. Their heart will be broken now.
But of course they can listen to him!

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean
Reply to  Denis

If a celebrity being gay breaks people’s hearts, those hearts should get a life. It’s not like he would have married them if he was straight.

Last edited 10 months ago by Mr Vanilla Bean
Reply to  Denis

They’ll be fine 🙂

Esc addict
Esc addict

Be proud to be yourself man! Happy pride to you too!
He is a very good singer and very handsome, yeah he should come back to compete in Melfest.

miskdisky