Bobbysocks Norway 1985

After a one-month break, #EurovisionAgain returned on Saturday evening for its August run. This time Eurovision 1985 was the retro song contest of choice.

Scroll down to watch Eurovision 1985

As always, there was a new fan vote, although the winner stayed the same — Norway’s Bobbysocks! with “La det swinge”.

Bobbysocks! win #EurovisionAgain 1985

Listed below are the results for #EurovisionAgain 1985. The rankings are based on the votes of all those who decided to vote for their favourites while rewatching the Eurovision 1985 grand final on Saturday 15 August.

In brackets, we’ve included the differences between the new fan vote and the original result from 35 years ago.

#EurovisionAgain 1985 results

1. Norway: Bobbysocks! “La det swinge” (=)
  2. Israel: Izhar Cohen “Olé, Olé” (+3)
  3. Sweden: Kikki Danielsson “Bra vibrationer” (=)
  4. Turkey: MFÖ “Didai didai dai” (+10)
  5. Finland: Sonja Lumme “Eläköön elämä” (+4)
  6. Spain: Paloma San Basilio “La fiesta terminó” (+8)*
  7. United Kingdom: Vikki “Love Is…” (-2)*
  8. Germany: Wind “Für alle” (-6)
  9. France: Roger Bens “Femme dans ses rêves aussi” (+1)
  10. Italy: Al Bano & Romina Power “Magic Oh Magic” (-3)
  11. Austria: Gary Lux “Kinder dieser Welt” (-3)
  12. Greece: Takis Biniaris “Miazoume” (+4)
  13. Switzerland: Mariella Farré & Pino Gasparini “Piano, piano” (-1)
  14. Portugal: Adelaide “Penso em ti, eu sei” (+4)
  15. Luxembourg: Margo, Franck Olivier, Diane Solomon,
    Ireen Sheer, Chris & Malcolm Roberts “Children, Kinder, Enfants” (-2)
  16. Ireland: Maria Christian “Wait Until the Weekend Comes” (-10)
  17. Denmark: Hot Eyes “Sku’ du spørg’ fra no’en?” (-6)
  18. Cyprus: Lia Vissi “To katalava arga” (-2)
  19. Belgium: Linda Lepomme “Laat me nu gaan” (=)

* Spain and the United Kingdom finished joint sixth in the #EurovisionAgain 1985 vote.

Watch Eurovision 1985 online

#EurovisionAgain may be over for now, but the Eurovision 1985 grand final remains online… for now You can watch the full show on the official Eurovision YouTube channel.

But why? Before 2004, the copyright for each show belonged to the respective broadcasters. In the case of 1985, that’s Sweden’s SVT. For now, the Swedish network has opted to make the show available only temporarily.

From 2004, the rules changed with the EBU taking over ownership of the rights. Hence, the uploads of contests from 2004 onwards have remained online.

#EurovisionAgain is scheduled to return on Saturday 19 September at 21:00 CEST.

What is #EurovisionAgain

Throughout the first 15 weeks of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Eurovision Again team organised mass rewatchings of classic contests on Saturday evenings. The EBU soon came on board and began publishing previously unavailable entire show uploads on its YouTube channel.

The rewatches have since switched to monthly affairs, now taking place on the third Saturday of each month.

As well as organising rewatches, the Eurovision Again team has also added a fundraising element for various LGBTQ+ charities. Details can be found here.

What do you think? Did Bobbysocks! deserve to win the rewatch? Let us know in the comments.

Follow all of our Norway Eurovision news.

Mr X
Mr X

Thank you for the third-last place for this horrible and childish song from Denmark.

But wonderful Portugal is also underrated in this list….

Stephanie
Stephanie

Sorry but for me it should have been The UK or Italy. Norway is kinda meh, and why Turkey wins 10 places, is a very big mistery for me. As for my two native countries. Sweden, same old, same old, whow did this ever became third? And Belgium, just speechless… What were they thinking sending this piece of…well you all know what

Raoul
Raoul

Ole Ole!!!

PP77
PP77

Best host in history (Petra learn from Lill how to be natural funny)

PP77
PP77

My TOP 5

1. Spain (deserved to be in TOP 5)
  2. Italy
  3. UK
  4. Sweden
  5. Switzerland
Nate
Nate

Spain getting what it deserved. La Fiesta Terminó is a brilliant song and Paloma San Basilio a really talented singer

HarpyDarper
HarpyDarper

I’m largely unfamiliar with this year (and I expect many fans are), but I think it’s great that Eurovision Again has chosen something from a long time ago rather than something recent (last five years or so). I have only watched clips so far (I’ll make the time to watch the whole thing), but it still looks like a pretty good production (for it’s time), and I enjoy the host. She is calm and laid back, with a keen sense of humour. Before the UK entry, is she referencing that Prince Charles quote? Also, is this on of the first… Read more »

PP77
PP77
Reply to  HarpyDarper

First time sport arena used for ESC was in 1983.

Pontus
Pontus

Ireland 16th…. turkey too high. bad.voting. I loved Greece

Joe Bloggs
Joe Bloggs

“However, it is only available for an unspecified “limited time”. Based on past #EurovisionAgain uploads, this will probably remain online for one week after the YouTube premiere date.”

This is actually really annoying, I probably missed HD versions of some of my favourite songs. No doubt some people will have downloaded the HD versions but can’t see them on other streaming channels.

Joe Bloggs
Joe Bloggs

The Swedish and Norwegian songs still overrated – by reputation I’d guess. At least some got a bit more justice, like the Finnish song. The Turkish and Israel songs rated higher than before which seemed fair.

Thanks for anyone that made this Eurovision Again possible! Some general thoughts: 1. Great host. So many languages!! Some mistakes and hesitations here and there but she did an amazing job overall! 2. Kudos to the orchestra and the directors! 3. How come Lill sat on stage during the songs? Was that a thing in Eurovision with live orchestra? 4. Awful, dreadful fashion and hairstyles especially for women. 5. Some songs were average. Some others were very good but curiously it made a very good edition of the contest. 6. Lill spoke or read in Spanish and German in addition to the obligatory English and… Read more »

Special mentions: Ireland: classic Eurovision ballad with the necessary “hold me now” in pure Irish style, no pun intended. I loved it. It was very pleasant in the most guilty-pleasure way. The sharp contrast of singer and backings. The close up to the giant ball. It finished too soon. It was a great start for the show and it gave me hope for a good edition. It was my number 1 after 10 songs in. Germany: nice interaction between the female and the male singer at the beginning. She was really nice all throughout. Nice to see all the band… Read more »

Thoughts on the rest in order of appearance in the show: Finland: I liked the combination of Finnish and rock but I was not impressed by the song. Some good camera work on the backings. Cyprus: wrong note at the beginning of the song. It sounded like a lullaby. Not impressed. Mediocre at best. One thing I like was Lia singing to the piano player and viceversa in the words of the wonderful Francesco Gabbani. Denmark: awful fashion. Then a child! Then the man running on stage!! I didn’t like the song nor the performance.   Spain: song title was… Read more »

JDS

Somebody said on Twitter last night that Lill was dreadful during rehearsals week and there were stories in the local papers about her being sacked. Then on the night she pulled it out the bag.

Reply to  JDS

You mean she improvised?

I have never watched this one before, what a treat! Thank you! My rankings: 19. Sweden: if it’s available, I buy it! For real! Even two! But the performance was way too clean and predictable for my taste. I must stress I don’t think it’s a bad song, it’s just that I enjoyed other songs much more. 18. Cyprus: a very respectable song and voice, and gorgeous brown eyes. I think they tried. But for a TV show it wasn’t much of a performance at all. 17. Spain: it was ok but I didn’t like the song that much. And… Read more »

JDS

I feel sorry for those behind Eurovision Again at times. There were lots of grumbles on social media last night from people about having no interest in an older Eurovision. Then when they show a recent one, people grumble about that (like when they showed 2018.) You can’t please everyone! And they’re not getting paid for this.

Last edited 2 months ago by JDS
Reply to  JDS

You mean 2008? I personally loved the 1985 and 1999 editions but I don’t want the organizers to go to far back in time.

JDS

No, they did 2018 as well.

I don’t know, I’d like to see a black and white one at some stage.

Reply to  JDS

If people are happy with that then just go ahead with it. I would rather watch something from the late seventies or early eighties. Anything earlier than the late seventies is bound to be pretty boring. In my opinion, that is.

I disagree! They’ve already shown one earlier than that – 1974. ABBA! Far from boring. Gigliola. Olivia Newton John. Mouth & Macneal. Katie Boyle.

Not every song before then was a ballad. Serge Gainsbourg. Do you know Monaco 1967? I love that one. There is a lot to be discovered! History is always interesting.

Reply to  Jonas

Good to hear a different perspective. I will check out your suggestion.

Joe Bloggs
Joe Bloggs
Reply to  JDS

Most younger viewers are narrowminded with Eurovision and don’t care about earlier years. Obviously that can’t be pandered to otherwise you’d just ignore the whole history of the contest and other styles of music and ways of presenting the contest, some of which like live performance shouldn’t be forgotten.

Reply to  Joe Bloggs

I agree with Jonas that showing an older b&w wouldn’t be boring. Sadly, I think the fans Joe refers to would have a conniption if, for example, the next one is 1960. Do you think the typical banger-obsessed EA fan who wants to party is going to want Tom Pillibi? Which is sad, as Tom Pillibi is just as much a part of Eurovision history as Diva or Shady Lady or Euphoria. I think 1965 or 1967 would be good b&w ones to show, if they choose to. I was really bothered when the EA people joked about showing 1959… Read more »

Marc
Marc

Nice year. Voting was a mess and crazy but it makes sense at the same time with that line up I guess.
My favourite probably Israel.Performance, tune, fun. Simple enjoyment. By nostalgia, I’d go with Italy. Feels very Albano and Romina and their 80’s.
I like both Norway and Germany pretty much on the same level. I give the edge to Norway just because Elisabeth.

Last edited 2 months ago by Marc
Reply to  Marc

I gave Italy my 12 on Saturday, I was only four at the time but it was the only song I could recall, so it must have some meaning or connection for me.

Shame Romina couldn’t really sing though.

Once again, straight up had no idea about this happening again! Great year, can’t wait to watch.

Reply to  Joe

At some point I’ll do my usual expanded thoughts, but here’s a quick ranking:
19. Luxembourg
5. France
4. Norway
3. Ireland
2. Finland
1. Israel

JDS

Good to see SVT on board now too, joining KAN. Will open up a lot more potential years for the final four editions.

Reply to  JDS

They’re only doing four more?

Crystal
Reply to  Joe

Yes, one on the third Saturday of each month through December, which should tide us over nicely before the songs for Eurovision 2021 begin to be selected.

Reply to  Crystal

Man, they better pick wisely for those last four! So many contests I’d love to see in better quality. At least they got most of the ’00s.

Reply to  Joe

Maybe not even that! They’ve said they’re not 100% sure there will be a December one. May just be three left.

Joe Bloggs
Joe Bloggs
Reply to  JDS

Maybe they’ll do some more next year in the offseason. I’m assuming the plan is to get definitive editions of all contests they can.

Reply to  Joe Bloggs

I do wonder if it will return after Eurovision 2021. It doesn’t need to happen between Jan and May as we have national finals and then buildup to contest itself.

Maybe they’ll show a few in the weeks running to Eurovision 2021 though? To get people in the mood.

TheDr Mistery
TheDr Mistery
Reply to  JDS

It would be good to get 1992, from SVT as well, if only for the fact that Turkish performance from that year is completely impossible to find – it’s blocked by TRT basically everywhere. I remember liking it – it was a fine performance of a very nice song although I had to laugh when main singer was looking unimpressed by the high note of backing singer at the end of the first chorus. 🙂 It’s the most recent ESC performance that is unavailable to watch.

Reply to  TheDr Mistery
Reply to  Jonas

Sorry, my links never seem to work, don’t ask me why. Anyway, it’s on YouTube right now. Search Eurovision 1992 Turkey. Be quick, it might not last long!

Reply to  Jonas

‘92 is also a contest that’s really hard to find in even decent quality.

Reply to  TheDr Mistery

I wouldn’t like to see ’92, it’s a dull show (yes, I know it had to be after 1991.) If they are going to show another pre-2004 SVT show I’d love to see 2000 in high quality. It’s hard to find a quality upload of it. Plus there’s a gap in EA showing early 2000s contests, if we look at the first half of the decade, we’ve only had 2003. I think we’ll see another 1970s one (as we now know they have one ready to show), and I hope an early 2000s one before it ends. I’d also be… Read more »