Eurovision 2021 Rotterdam Open UpEurovision 2021 Rotterdam Open Up

Back in May, producers of the Eurovision Song Contest promised that the show would go on in 2021 one way or another. And today, at a press conference inside Rotterdam Ahoy, they outlined the various forms that could take.

There are four scenarios which respond to different ways the Covid-19 pandemic could affect holding the Eurovision Song Contest 2021 in Rotterdam.  It’s clear that the EBU and host broadcasters have taken a lot into consideration and are determined that the show will go on, one way or another.

Scenario A: A normal Eurovision Song Contest

This is the Eurovision we know and love. It will be held at the Rotterdam Ahoy arena and will include the usual nine shows (the three live shows plus rehearsals). The arena will be packed full of fans and delegations. There will be activities galore around Rotterdam, including the Eurovillage and Euroclub.

However, the EBU says that “the feasibility of this scenario largely depends on the roll-out of a possible vaccine for COVID-19 or the availability of reliable testing.”

Scenario B: Socially distant Eurovision Song Contest – at 1.5 meters

This version would also involve the usual nine shows at the Ahoy Arena — but this time with social distancing. The audience at the shows would be required to stay 1.5 metres away from each other at all times.

The EBU acknowledges that this would require a new seating layout which would mean fewer people would be able to fit in the arena and therefore some people will have to give up their tickets. The EBU says, “If that happens, a fair draw will be held to decide who can still attend each show.” They also confirm that full refunds would be given.

Under this scenario, there will also be limits on the size of each delegation and on the number of media that can attend. Activities in Rotterdam may also be reduced.

This scenario also meets the Dutch government’s current restrictions for live events.

Scenario C: A Eurovision Song Contest with travel restrictions

This scenario is for a situation where some delegations would be unable to travel to Rotterdam.

The shows in Rotterdam would be similar to Scenario B, with social distancing and a reduced audience. If any delegations were unable to travel to Rotterdam, they would still be able to compete in the contest. They would perform their song in their own country and that would be incorporated into the show.

The EBU confirms that the distance performances would be pre-recorded while the show in Rotterdam will remain live.

This is reminiscent of the format that Junior Eurovision 2020 is using for all its competing acts.

Scenario D: Eurovision Song Contest in lockdown

This is a worst-case scenario. If the Netherlands ends up in a strict lockdown situation again, there will still be a Eurovision Song Contest. However, this version will not involve a live audience nor activities around Rotterdam.

The EBU describes this scenario as being very like Junior Eurovision 2020. The participating countries will stay home and submit a pre-recorded live performance on their song. These will be incorporated into the show hosted at Ahoy Arena — but with no live audience.

When will a decision be made?

The EBU says that “a definitive choice between scenarios will be made based on the situation in the early months of 2021.”

Dutch host broadcasters NPO, NOS and AVROTRS have two years preparation time and are determined that a show will happen.

The Eurovision 2021 stage design, the slogan and the logo

At the presentation, Executive Producer Sietse Bakker also confirmed a few details about the look and feel of the contest.

The 2020 stage design will remain. Bakker revealed that the stage has already been built and is waiting to be assembled in storage at Ahoy Arena.

The contest slogan will also remain “Open up”. While the slogan had a certain interpretation in 2020, it has taken on a new meaning as Eurovision opens up after its year off.

Bakker also confirmed that the logo will be given a tweak for 2021. Details of this were not specified, however the 2020 logo was specifically designed around the 41 competing acts of that year and included a visual timeline from 1956 to 2020. With this in mind, it is possible that the new logo won’t be revealed until after the 2021 participating countries have been confirmed.

Which scenario do you think is most likely?

Read more Eurovision 2021 news here

Nudiecrudi
Nudiecrudi
1 month ago

D is the most realistic scenario.
In almost all countries the situation is getting difficult and we have to afford autumn and winter.

MTD
MTD
1 month ago

Soooo, these 4 scenarios would have made possible ESC 2020 to happen, this month, for example, but nooooo, you had to cancel it altogether.

Pathetic.

Juan
Juan
1 month ago

Option E. Everyone tested upon entering. Just rapid tests would do I guess. No social distancing or other ‘the crown’ nonsense..
Everyone would be happy..

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
Reply to  Juan

This is essentially option A. The EBU says option A depends on “the roll-out of a possible vaccine for COVID-19 or the availability of reliable testing.”

Camwd
Camwd
1 month ago

Realistically, Scenario C is most likely with Scenario B being optimistic. Feel like Scenario D would only happen if the Dutch authorities went for a full lockdown in May 2021, which would be a worst case scenario… and not just in the Eurovision context

Maya G
Maya G
1 month ago

I’m wising for scenario A, but it’s the least likely one of them all. I’m really dreading scenario D.
I feel bad for the Dutch who’ve been waiting so long for their win, and can’t enjoy the full host experience, which is a pretty awesome experience. My heart goes out to them and I hope they’ll get another win soon after covid-19 is behind us, so they can get the chance to host a proper Eurovision. Besides that, I trust them to do a spectacular job in May 2021.

MartyMcCu
MartyMcCu
1 month ago

STAY SAFE AND KEEP IT TO C OR D.

Roy Moreno
Roy Moreno

I think it would be scenario C but I really hope for B
Obviously, A is just unlikely

Stephanie
1 month ago

Edsilia, Chantal and Jan are back as presenters, NikkieTutorials will return as online host

Kosey
Kosey
1 month ago

Let’s face it, there are really only 3 scenarios. Scenario A only happens in feel-good Disney movies – there is virtually zero evidence that this will be any part of our reality in Feb/Mar 2021 (when a decision is made). Personally speaking, I think C is most likely as the virus hits different countries at different times (and different countries take different approaches). I sincerely hope it is not D but I think it is a much more distinct possibility than the poll currently suggests.

Liam Lindsay
Liam Lindsay
1 month ago

A combination of Scenarios B & C for me personally is the most likely and logical choices for instance for countries that have to travel long distances like Russia & Australia will not sing in Rotterdam most likely due to the level of cases and a higher rate of infections (at the time of writing – 18/09/2020) but, will have the opportunity to perform remotely. A reduced capacity audience for the live shows should be a automatic rule and not a part of a potential scenario, this ensures safety for the delegations, newscrews & outlets, contenstants and the fans, with… Read more »

1 month ago

In some way, shape, or form, we’ll see you in Rotterdam! WOO-HOO!!!!

Reply to  Joe

Also, glad to see they’re keeping the intended hosts from 2020!

ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA
1 month ago

I’m still a bit curious and uncertain as to what role the press center will play in the four scenarios. Hopefully the Wiwibloggs team will be able to attend the contest in-person. I always enjoy watching the videos of the Wiwibloggs team discussing the rehearsals, results, etc. at the contest and it would be a shame if those can’t happen in 2021.

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
Reply to  ESCFanGA

It sounds like in scenarios B and C, there will be fewer people allowed in the press centre. With option D, it doesn’t sound like there would be any press centre on site. I’m wondering if in all those scenarios, they might also arrange some sort of remote participation, like being able to watch rehearsals from a secure video stream?

Denis
Denis
1 month ago

Realistically speaking I think option B is the most likely at the moment. But hopefully it will change..

Thomas S
Thomas S
1 month ago

I think if C were to be the ultimate choice, the EBU should send cameras to the nations that don’t have the greatest equipment. Example being Moldova. I hope we can have B but I feel C is more realistic

esc2021rotterdam
esc2021rotterdam
1 month ago

I’m happy that the ebu and Rotterdam are doing their best that eurovision will take place no matter what, I have high expectations from them. About the plans I’m going to give my opinions about them: A – Ofc the one that I’m mostly hoping about. If eurovision 2021 is going ahead as usual so it will really look as a big celebration on winning corona. I could see this scenario happening if there is a wide vaccination in the Netherlands at least or if there is a very fast rapid coronavirus testing. B – actually I will be happy… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by esc2021rotterdam

Nothing will ever be the same after 2020

Last edited 1 month ago by Hyunwoo

I never thought I’d say this but…. I miss 2019

But the worst part is…

ITS STILL 2020!!!!!!

I think we all owe 2019 an apology

Edit: if 2019 was personally a good year for you then obviously im not talking about you.

Neil
Neil

At least they gave us some closure about Eurovision 2021

1 month ago

What would the jury performances look like in scenarios C and D? Scenario C, I don’t like it at all, the disparity among performances may be way too significant. What if people would be inclined to vote for the live performances in the Ahoy? Stage and sound are supposed to be outstanding. I.dont.like.it

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
Reply to  Whisker

Im sure the jury and real live show performance would be the same in that case since they would be pre recorded.

Reply to  Frisian esc

I don’t care how they do it as long as they get the votes/points right!

1998
1998
1 month ago

At least it won’t be cancelled.

Nicky
Nicky
1 month ago

Cancel ESC for good, who cares about something irrelevant as this in current times

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Nicky

found the attention-seeking and desperate troll, guys

Nikos
Nikos
Reply to  Nicky

If you think it so irrelevant, why are you even on the site ? Just leave and never return !

Eurolover
Eurolover
Reply to  Nicky

Get a life

Joseph Mendy
Joseph Mendy
Reply to  Nicky

Then do us all a favour and get outta here.

Guys, I think we owe 2019 an apology

1 month ago

I hope the world will learn the mistake we’ve made after this.

Hi243
Hi243
1 month ago

I like the transparency. We know what the options are and what the timeline looks like. I don’t think that most European countries will have distributed vaccines by May next year, so we’ll probably get a scenario B, possibly C ‘light’, in which only a few counties are unable to attend. To people wondering: they didn’t use option-D last year because they had to make decisions at the peak of the pandemic, with only a few weeks left to the event. Given the context, economically, logistically, and health related reasons, it was simply not possible to execute a plan D… Read more »

Nobody Important
Nobody Important
1 month ago

Scenario E: Finally inviting Kazakhstan into competition.

James
James
1 month ago

How is Kazakhstan related to current coronavirus guidelines?

Azaad
Azaad
1 month ago

Don’t know if Kazakhstan would want to debut next year specifically, but they may be fast tracked for a 2021 debut

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Azaad

2022 rather

FanESC
FanESC
1 month ago

I think the Plan C is the most likely. In France, we are in (or entering) the second wave, it might be “less” in everything (deaths, hospitalisations, lasting, etc). I could see a third wave in late winter or early spring that would prevent some delegations to come in Rotterdam (such as Australia).

Vangelis
Vangelis
1 month ago

So why didn’t they go through with scenario D this year? Even though I dearly want the whole corona thing to go away, I do hope they end up with scenario D as punishment for canceling all the artists this year.

Hi243
Hi243
Reply to  Vangelis

Logically, financially and for health related reasons, it was not realistic to ask 42 broadcasters to set up everything they needed for plan D to work in literally 2 months during the peak of the pandemic. Don’t you realise how much work it would be to host Eurovision in basically 42 countries?

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
Reply to  Vangelis

So you want to punish the artists again because you didn’t get what you wanted this year? Do you think the organizers got what they wanted this year?

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
Reply to  Vangelis

The rules for 2020 specifically referred to live shows. If they’d done something different, a country could be like “Hey, that’s not fair!” and complicated legal stuff could have happened. The 2021 rules allow for changes.

There’s also the consideration that at the time, countries were in different levels of lockdown – some acts could have gone to their local TV station and filmed something fancy with other people, while others literally could not have left their house. Would it have been fair to have someone sing their upbeat dance banger into a laptop mic in their living room?

1998
1998
Reply to  Vangelis

Nobody was prepared for this situation, so now it is logical for the 2020 contest to be cancelled.

Last edited 1 month ago by 1998
Juan
Juan
Reply to  Vangelis

They were just too stupid to go with scenario D! Other countries, like Germany, did scenario D for them. No issues.

Fatima
Fatima
Reply to  Vangelis

I agree with Vangelis and Juan. Yes, I accept Robyn’s point that the 2020 rules only applied to live shows, but wasn’t that the case also with Junior Eurovision? All around the world, rules have been adjusted this year to take account of the challenging circumstances. I agree also with Hi423, because May would have been too soon. I would have preferred them to postpone until the autumn and then do something along the lines of scenario D. Some countries may have not taken up the opportunity, as with Junior Eurovision. But we’d still have had some sort of contest.

Rifki
Rifki
1 month ago

Plan B is the most likely and most reasonable, in my opinion. People crave for the A-level production that Eurovision has, and still want to apply the health instructions (masking and/or distancing).

Nastia
Nastia
1 month ago

This will make Junior Eurovision very interesting to watch. We will get a feel for the format of Scenario D.

Nicky
Nicky
Reply to  Nastia

Junior Eurovision with all selfish youth who know they can’t die of covid UGH

James
James
Reply to  Nicky

So you were selfish yourself once too when you were young?

James
James
1 month ago

These three other scenarios look certainly doable and realistic given the changing circumstances. Hopefully AVRTROS pulls this off come May.

Last edited 1 month ago by James
HarpyDarper
HarpyDarper

Interesting news!
I’ve just watched the official video, looks like they’ve considered everything. It says they have decided to keep the stage design and the ‘Open Up’ theme. Obviously time will tell, and this year’s JESC will be the perfect chance to experiment these ideas.

I’m thinking B or C will be most likely, and thinking they could do video link ups in the arena, like they did in 2010 (with the families), but on a bigger scale. Bit like what the WWE are doing right now.