Poland became the first country to win Junior Eurovision in consecutive years following Viki Gabor’s 2019 victory on home soil with “Superhero”. Hoping to keep the winning streak going in 2020, this year the host nation will be represented by Ala Tracz and her song “I’ll Be Standing”.

Scroll down for “I’ll Be Standing” lyrics

Poland in Junior Eurovision 2020: Ala Tracz “I’ll Be Standing”

Ten-year-old Ala Tracz was selected to represent Poland at Junior Eurovision 2020 through the national selection Szansa na Sukces (A Chance for Success). Three artists qualified to the grand final of the show, with Ala booking her slot by winning the third semi-final.

In the grand final, Ala sang her Junior Eurovision entry “I’ll Be Standing”, along with a cover of “Mam tę moc” (the Polish-language version of “Let It Go” from Frozen). The winner was determined by an equal weighting of jury and public votes. Both the jury and public awarded Ala their top score, thus she was chosen to sing for Poland.

Szansa na Sukces isn’t the first televised singing competition that Ala has competed in. She previously took part in the third season of The Voice Kids Poland at the start of 2020. Alicja made it to the final as part of Dawid Kwiatkowski’s team — a singer who was also a member of the Szansa na Sukces jury that selected Ala for Junior Eurovision 2020.

Ala released her debut single in May. Titled “Przed Nami Cały Świat” (“The Whole World Is Ahead Of Us”), it’s a duet with her sister Ola Tracz.

What do the “I’ll Be Standing” lyrics mean?

The lyrics of “I’ll Be Standing” centre around the theme of working towards your dreams. Ala sings that she’s not afraid to chase after the things she wants to achieve. Even if she has bad days when she wonders if such dreams are actually possible, the Polish star will still keep pushing forward:

I got a heart full of dreams
And they’ll never go away
I have doubts, I have fears
But they won’t get in my way

These ideas continue through the rest of the verses and chorus. There’s nothing that will stop Ala from living out her dream. Indeed, Ala assures us that she’ll always stand tall, both through the good times and the bad times:

Standing up
Rising up
Living in my dream
Even when
Times get tough
I’ll be standing

The rules of Junior Eurovision state that the lyrics of all songs must be at least 60% in the native language of the performer and a maximum of 40% in English. The original version of “I’ll Be Standing” that Ala performed at Szansa na Sukces did not meet these criteria. However, the song has since been revamped.

You can watch a performance that Ala gave with the updated lyrics below.

“I’ll Be Standing” lyrics — Ala Tracz (Poland JESC 2020)

Written and composed by: Andrzej Gromala & Sara Chmiel-Gromala.

Eurovision fans may know Andrzej Gromala better by his stage name Gromee, under which the DJ represented Poland at Eurovision 2018 with the song “Light Me Up”, featuring vocalist Lukas Meijer. Unfortunately, the duo failed to qualify to the grand final of the contest.

Sara Chmiel-Gromala is a singer and songwriter who has been the vocalist of Polish pop-rock band Łzy since 2011. Sara and Gromee have been married since April 2018.

Polish text

Living in my dream
Even when
Times get tough

Oh-woah-oh, oh-woah-oh, oh-woah-oh-oh
Oh-woah-oh, oh-woah-oh, oh-woah-oh-oh

Wszystko możliwe jest
Gdy nadzieja płonie w nas
Wiara, że to ma sens

Rising up
Living in my dream
Even when
Times get tough

Oh-woah-oh, oh-woah-oh, oh-woah-oh-oh
Oh-woah-oh, oh-woah-oh, oh-woah-oh-oh

It’s pretty clear, that it’s real
The fire within me

I’ll be the power

Oh-woah-oh, oh-woah-oh, oh-woah-oh-oh
Oh-woah-oh, oh-woah-oh, oh-woah-oh-oh

Oh-oh
Oh-oh
Oh-oh-woah

What do you make of “I’ll Be Standing”? Do you think Ala Tracz has a chance to give Poland a third consecutive win? Let us know in the comments below!

Read more Junior Eurovision 2020 lyrics here

7 days ago

This is really a quality over quantity kind of year, I’d say, as most of what I’ve heard so far I find pretty impressive! I’d rank them like this so far:

1. Kazakhstan
  2. Spain
  3. France
  4. Belarus
  5. Germany
  6. Netherlands
  7. Serbia
  8. Ukraine
  9. Poland (sorry, doesn’t really do much for me)
  10. Russia
  11. Malta
Heyey
Heyey
10 days ago

I feel like Armenia might withdraw from Junior Eurovision this year as they have a difficult situation/war with Azerbaijan right now. They haven’t released any info on their representative either… Hope I’m wrong though

Last edited 10 days ago by Heyey
Donkey
Donkey
Reply to  Heyey

There has been an unofficial statement from Armenians (including Anahit from 2016) that Arpi (Melena Fox) will represent Armenia. However we are still waiting for an official confirmation.

Heyey
Heyey
9 days ago
Reply to  Donkey

Thank you for the info! I hope it’s true 🙂

IHPIESC
IHPIESC
10 days ago

TVP ruined this song by revamp. Missing trumpets, which was cool, why not later part in polish? It starts with polish and in the beginning to the middle part it is English later again polish, chaotic a bit. Plus some parts are worse than this from Szansa na Sukces. If they would only change this Text (more polish) and later just be like it was in final, it would be good. But now, it felt on my ranking.

Donkey
Donkey
Reply to  IHPIESC

Are you deaf? There are very clearly still trumpets. That didn’t change. The revamp is amazing

Fionn
Fionn

My top 5:
1. Belarus
2. Spain
3. Poland
4. Kazakhstan
5. Germany

Pandeme111
Pandeme111
8 days ago
Reply to  Fionn

WOW! If you switched Poland with Kazakhstan, that would be my top five… Taste!

Nicky
Nicky

this is the winner <3

good that the polish are so amazing in voting for themselves <3

song score 10/10

IHPIESC
IHPIESC
Reply to  Nicky

Maybe they are voting for themselves, but not only they. You forgot about few countries.

Nicky
Nicky
9 days ago
Reply to  IHPIESC

we will give Solea covid so she can no longer compete

Ashton
Ashton
9 days ago
Reply to  Nicky

You’re disgusting.

Lollipop ESC
Lollipop ESC
10 days ago

The polish song with Alicja is a clear Top 5 song ….but I think Belarus and Spain are stronger this year. Kazakhstan will get plenty of jury points and Armenia + France + Georgia haven’t released their songs so far.

IHPIESC
IHPIESC
Reply to  Lollipop ESC

Unfortunately, Georgia is going to release their song in mid November

sam
sam
10 days ago

i said this last year and no one took me seriously but keep an eye out for kazakhstan because i think karakat is going to win and then finally they might be invited to the regular eurovision

IHPIESC
IHPIESC
Reply to  sam

According to your words, Kazakhstan win in jesc will be a ticket for normal esc. Australia was Associated member for decades and that was one reason of their invitation to esc, Kazakhstan is only few years.

sam
sam
Reply to  IHPIESC

according to my words i did not say that since im not the one who decides if kazakhstan participates. i said if they win jesc, there is no reason they shouldnt be invited to the regular esc. australia started competing at jesc and esc during the same eurovision season so it’s very different. thanks for your input

Ratings going lower
Ratings going lower
10 days ago

If Poland wins for the 3rd time in a row with a song like this, I bet we can just say goodbye to Junior Eurovision, the voting has made this a joke.

10 days ago

Three songs so far (Spa, Ger, Pol) and I feel like all songs thus far stress a common theme of being strong and encouraging in face of difficulties and/or hard times. Compare that to the common theme of “lost love” or the bangers in the big contest. I have very mixed feelings about the junior contest. Now with these three songs in. I feel sad for children nowadays. Childhood should mean happiness and being carefree. Children are resilient and it’s good to build resilince and give hope to others. My issue is with featuring difficulties and hard times. I don’t… Read more »

Ashton
Ashton
10 days ago

I really don’t get your cynicism. Children should understand that not everything is sunshine all the time, and know that bad times will arrive and that they should face them with a smile. Which is exactly what these songs are about. And just saying, its very telling that you had a privileged childhood and did not have to face hardships, or at least not terrible ones. I had to come to terms with the fact that my father abandoned me and my family, and you best believe that at that point I was not happy or carefree. So if I… Read more »

Last edited 10 days ago by Ashton
Lebanese esc fan
Lebanese esc fan
10 days ago

I see where you’re coming from, but I think it’s nice to have a nice mix of songs with different themes. For instance, this year we have Serbia’s song which is about childhood love, the Netherlands about friendship, Kazakhstan’s singer who is dedicating her song to her father, and Belarus whose singer is talking about the recklessness of human beings. So truly, it’s not all about facing adversities and overcoming problems, although I personally disagree that the latter constitute problematic themes for children to sing about.

10 days ago

Thanks for the info about the rest of the countries. I was referring to the three songs that have been featured so far. And I compared them with what we usually hear in the big contest. Feels like children (in my overall generalization) sing about more serious stuff than adults in the big contest. It’s just four songs from Eurovision that I can remember of now that made a big impact on me – two from Hungary in 2014 and 2017, one from Germany in 2018 and one from Italy 2019. Mix of songs with different themes is welcome. But… Read more »

Esc lebanese fan
Esc lebanese fan
10 days ago

I understand your point of view, but I do hope you won’t give up on the contest because of that, as I really enjoy reading your insights on this blog:)

10 days ago

Thanks. Same here. I am very new to jesc – I will give it a try this year.

Reply to  Milan

I will check it out. Thanks.

Azaad
Azaad
10 days ago

Kids are very intelligent and well read these days. I’m sure they can comprehend and contextualise these issues.

Cameron
Cameron

The song is ok, but not good enough for win 3, right now Spain is the strongest

Nicky
Nicky
Reply to  Cameron

Spain can’t win, and i hope spain withdraws next year again, they add nothing with this sort of uptempo crap

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Nicky

the troll is back everybody

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
Reply to  Ashton

Is it a troll though? Because it feels more like some sort of schizophrenia to me.

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Frisian esc

Whatever it is he needs some therapy

I started watching JESC before ESC
I started watching JESC before ESC
7 days ago
Reply to  Ashton

Yes he does

Ria van de Velde
Ria van de Velde
10 days ago

I like the song, more in the Polish/English version than in the first version we have heard on the Polish final. But for me the song is not good enough for a third victory. But you never know…

Michu
Michu
7 days ago

I think this song is great, but not in the updated version. I really loved the version with trumpets. On the other hand, I think that Spain’s song is great, but I don’t think it’s gonna do that great on stage. The girl is very young and this song requires perfect timing. Prove me wrong, Spain.