Hooverphonic Belgium Eurovision 2020

It’s over a week since Hooverphonic announced a shock line-up change. But while the story continues to rumble on, the dust is slowly starting to settle. First, the dropped vocalist Luka Cruysberghs gave her side of events. Now, the Belgian group’s founder Alex Callier has shared his version of what went down.

In an interview with HUMO, he admits that Luka didn’t like the decision. He also reveals that the band had recorded an album with Luka which will remain unreleased.

Alex Callier on Luka Cruysberghs and Hooverphonic

Previously, Luka explained that she received the unexpected news via a Zoom call. Alex confirms this, adding that Luka didn’t like it: “Raymond and I and our manager brought her the bad news. Not easy, of course. And Luka really didn’t like it either. What would you be like?”

On Luka’s future, Alex says: “Look, she’s young and talented, and she’s got character. If she does it right, and we will certainly help her with that, she can still go far. Don’t forget that she has been able to gain stage experience for three years, and seen how a band works. And yes, of course, she was disappointed, but at the same time she understood that Geike (Arnaert) is inherently connected to Hooverphonic. We built everything together with Geike, didn’t we?”

Hooverphonic’s scrapped album with Luka Cruysberghs

The would-be Eurovision 2020 trio had already recorded an unreleased album together. This has been shelved, although some of the songs may be rescued and reworked with the band’s returning frontwoman Geike Arnaert.

“It ends up in our vault. Maybe we’ll recover a few songs for our next record with Geike, maybe not. We might even release it after all, but with Geike singing the songs. In any case, I like to have a lot of material that you can choose from immediately. Sometimes songs stay in the drawer for years before I decide to use them. For example, “Anger Never Dies” was recorded with Geike, but we didn’t use it at the time because it didn’t fit the record we were working on at the time”.

It’s not clear whether the intended song for Eurovision 2021 has been thrown on the scrapheap also. Back in August, months before the line-up change, the band had hinted that their 2021 song was ready. Presumably, this would have contained Luka’s vocals.

Whether they’re returning to the drawing board or not, one thing remains certain. Hooverphonic will represent Belgium at Eurovision 2021 with Geike on lead vocals.

Are you sad about Hooverphonic’s scrapped album? Are you excited for their Eurovision 2021 song? And will you be listening to Luka’s solo material? Let us know below.

Follow all of our Belgium Eurovision 2021 news.

RavensHeart
RavensHeart
4 days ago

Had it up to here with this callous group. First Love Shine A Light, now the horrible way they’ve treated this poor girl. What a nasty bunch. Seems like this Alex the ring leader.

Anita
Anita
5 days ago

Hooverphonic 20 year anniversary and all. I am actually excited about them rejoining with Geike. Hey you all, let’s just not be negative. I hope all Eurovision fans will treat the song and performance with open minds and hearts, even if you are in love with Luka.

Last edited 5 days ago by Anita
Anita
Anita
5 days ago
Reply to  Anita
Last edited 5 days ago by Anita
xohxoh
xohxoh
5 days ago

At the end of the day they could’ve made it work with two vocalists. They treated Luka as a replaceable employee rather than a band member.

Piotr Malgrem
Piotr Malgrem
5 days ago

Mad about U…….Geike

dygh
dygh
6 days ago

VRT picked the group with Luka, not Geike. It would only be fair to take Luka with them to Rotterdam. This is the first robbery of the season and it will be the most disgusting one.

Vladimir P.
Vladimir P.
6 days ago

The people in this band don’t seem to have any moral standards and I have to admit I find that repulsive. Belgium is one of my favorite Eurovision countries, but I will not support them in 2021 if they send this band.

Thomas S
Thomas S
6 days ago

What is wrong with this band?! What the heck?!

MALTESER
MALTESER
6 days ago

I can literally imagine Alex Callier telling me that I’m ugly and stabbing my eyes with a pen if I asked him for an autograph.

dygh
dygh
Reply to  MALTESER

I know some people who live in the same city and they have encountered him multiple times. He is very cold to say the least.

Xenta
Xenta
6 days ago

It’s just like dumping your girlfriend to get back with your ex.

Yeah
Yeah
6 days ago

That man with glasses looks always grumpy, and not in a cute way like grumpy cat.

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
Reply to  Yeah

I always thought he looked like a hipster douche. He probably is one.

James
James
6 days ago

Fans in 2018: OMG, Salvador Sobral is trashtalking our beloved ESC. How dare he? SHAME! Fans in 2020: Alex of Hooverphonic is actually worse than Sobral?! TBH, I didn’t mind Salvador’s comments about ESC as I thought it was on point for the most part, and was realistic in thinking “Toy” might even win that year. And ultimately, he was grateful taking part in the period following his surgery and him tying the knot with his now wife. Alex, I think, is just a whole other level with the way he comes across to people based from his interviews of… Read more »

Reply to  James

With Sobral, it’s not what he said, but how he said it. Of course there is a pinch of truth in that, but it was delivered in a bit elitist way. But I really don’t think bad of him as a person. He’s just ”artsy”, I guess. The difference between Sobral and Alex is that nobody in particular was wronged by Salvador’s statements or actions. His musical taste didn’t actually stop Netta from winning. Alex’s hubris robbed Belgium of participating in an event which was meant to connect people in hardest times. His decision also robbed Luka of her ESC… Read more »

Last edited 6 days ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

Right. Whatever Salvador said, nobody ever doubted that he was a decent person.

Reply to  Jonas

Do the people downvoting this not think Salvador is a decent person? I don’t understand.

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Jonas

I didn’t downvote, but frankly Sobral’s comments didn’t make him seem like a decent person.

Reply to  Ashton

How did his SOS Refugees promotion in Kyiv make him seem? His “equality for all gay people” position? His sharing the stage with Luisa when they won to make sure she got proper recognition?

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Jonas

Those aren’t the things I was talking about when I was referring to his comments, but sure.

Veta
Veta
Reply to  Colin

Whether Alex is selfish is not a question, he surely is. Singers for him are just one of the many instruments for making his creative ideas come alive, like lego pieces, not quite “people”. The interesting thing here with Luka is that out of all 6 Hooverphonic singers, only Kyoko Baertsoen was fired before her, all the rest left by themselves due to overworking, abuse and lack of freedom. My disappointment is that Luka didn’t stand up for herself like they did, but instead genuinely believed an illusion that Hooverphonic was her destiny because it was her childhood dream to… Read more »

Erik
Erik
Reply to  Veta

Sobral spoke about some music as fast food, i.e. trash. Alex treats fellow musicians as they are trash. Big difference. I did not like Sobrals statement. Because it’s elitist and indirectly says he is a profound musician making good quality music. But what Alex does is that he admits singers are disposable. He believes his music is so good it should be desired by every singer. That’s not elitist but douchebag.

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  James

Salvador was being frank about his opinions. He perhaps should have expressed his opinions more diplomatically but he shouldn’t be shamed for his honesty.

Sale
Sale
6 days ago

I just hope Hooverphonic don’t even qualify this year, and then next year for Luka to represent Belgium and the win the whole thing. That would be some great cosmic justice for her and these a$$holes that played her.

Bella
Bella
Reply to  Sale

Well they’re sent by the VRT, so statistically speaking there’s a good chance they won’t qualify. At broadcaster level, the VRT is the most unsuccessful broadcaster in Eurovision history.

Someone
Someone

Hooverphonic brought Belgium shame! #BoycottHooverphonic

6 days ago

I think we’ve all said what we want to say about Alex and Hooverphonic already. However, I’m struggling to cope with Geike’s willingness to come back to a band that treated Luka so badly. Personally, I wouldn’t want my name associated with such a negative situation but that’s just me.

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Briekimchi

She’s their most iconic front woman and the one who was with the band when they were at the apex of their fame. She might feel like she’s the singer who should be associated with what could be it’s Renaissance.

Ina
Ina
Reply to  Briekimchi

There’s more to that! She literally left because they wouldn’t let her have any creative input in their work, while treating her with sexism. And she went back! Wtf?!

Candy
Candy
Reply to  Briekimchi

Times are tough, especially for artists. There’s a chance that she simply needs the money.

Azaad
Azaad
6 days ago

Considering that Geike is their most iconic vocalist, and ESC will be a career highlight, it’s fitting that she’s now returning to the band. However, I feel like they could’ve broke the news to Luka in a kinder fashion, and maybe compensated her financially as well.

stan
stan
6 days ago

i can’t seperate the artist he claims to be from the business man that he actually is. hooverphonic was a great band in the nineties / early 2000’s but now it’s just a song factory with a dated sound. i don’t have high hopes for hooverphonic at the contest. it will sound well and look professional but it will also be cold and forgettable, no matter how much geike tries to put some life into it. i hope she listened to the album she needs to sing before agreeing to rejoin the band. as for Luka: please vrt, select her… Read more »

Tom
Tom
6 days ago

Ok, one second. Just stop with all the negativity. If you actually read all the reactions, you can clearly see that even though this is not the path that was expected, all parties involved have embraced the decision. So what is the problem. Of course I understand Luka’s initial reaction, but it seems to me that she has seen this as an opportunity to do it her own way. She didn’t even really feel natural in this particular band. Also Eurovision is really not the only thing in the world so it is very logical that they make this decision… Read more »

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Tom

I think Alex rubbed a lot of people the wrong way by not having Hooverphonic participate in Love Shine A Light and the band (sans Luka) came off as aloof and haughty throughout the 2020 season. So when Luka was let go, it was easy to paint them as the villains.

6 days ago

That guys is so arrogant the way he talks. Luka will do great, she got a lot of experience.

I still want Belgium to qualify though, i love the music of Hooverphonic and we need more big names in the contest. Plus, it would make Belgians happy to compete in the final held in Netherlands

just an esc fan
just an esc fan
6 days ago

1) Luka has to realize soon that her potential is probably bigger without Hooverphonic..i think she would work better as a solo artist 2) even tho I prefer geike by a lot, i have to say that it was a bad decision of them to replace her. Maybe Luka and Geike could be together in lead vocals until ESC and then just Geike 3) I think it’s absolutely certain that Luka will represent Belgium at ESC one day..even at 2040 or smth 4) overall it’s a music competition..not a behavioral one. So I advice you to stop boycotting Hooverphonic and… Read more »

Jesper Hjellnes
Jesper Hjellnes
6 days ago

Now I just imagine Hooverphonic not qualifying for the final next year. Then, Luka gets selected to represent Belgium in a few years, and ends up slaying with an amazing song and brings Belgium a similar result as they got with Loïc and Blanche 😉 I wonder how Alex will react then 😉

damez
damez
6 days ago

he’ll be like, “WE’VE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION FOR HER TO GO SOLO”

just an esc fan
just an esc fan
Reply to  damez

she does have a better potential as a solo aritst tho we have to admit that

Helen
Helen
6 days ago

I am sorry Belgians, but I really hope they don’t qualify. Poor Luka.

Micky
Micky
6 days ago

Ok but WHY did they replace Luka? Why did they bring Geike back? Was it bc something happened between each other? Is it bc of the virus? And the album? Why not release it? Why record them again with Geike? Get outta here!

Preuss
Preuss
6 days ago

I mean imagine all the drama this dude would’ve provided us with when he eventually would’ve NQ if the contest went ahead this year lol. It’s hard to root for this guy given everything he’s said and done

Demi Lovato's Arm
Demi Lovato's Arm
6 days ago

They chose Geike over Luka because Geike wanna have the Eurovision experience?

WannaEatMySpaghetti
WannaEatMySpaghetti
6 days ago

I’m from Belgium (Wallonia) and even me I’m starting to wish a bad results to Hooverphonic. If the song is good I will support them the same way I support another country that has a good song. But if the song is bad I won’t cry their non qualification.
The behaviour of the band is disgusting.

Olov
Olov
6 days ago

As Wallonia will choose the Eurovision artist for 2022, Luka for ESC 2023 please! She deserves it!

Ashton
Ashton
6 days ago

It’s shocking that 1, he won’t even release the LP that Luka most likely put a lot of work into, and 2, he is actually considering re-recording Geike onto the tracks. Alex is starting to make me genuinely angry.

damez
damez
6 days ago

All in all, Alex is trying to imply Luka is not as deserving as Geike is for hooverphonic. Disappointing and abrupt decision

Last edited 6 days ago by damez
Veta
Veta
Reply to  damez

It doesn’t need impying cause it’s an obvious fact. Of course they can’t be compared. As far as I can see, the people’s problem is HOW the departure happened, not the person she was swiped for.

Veta
Veta
Reply to  Veta

And you downvoted because…? Someone actually thinks Luka was fitting into the band better than Geike? : )) C’mon, be honest, say it all then.