Vilija Eurovision 2014 Lithuania

Just two days before Christmas, Lithuania’s LRT announced the names of all the acts which will compete in Pabandom iš Naujo! 2021.

Unlike other national selections for Eurovision, Lithuania doesn’t tend to have a set rule regarding song release dates. Once Eurovision’s 1 September rule is abided by, artists are free to drop songs whenever they please.

So, even though the first show won’t air for another week, several of the entries are already available to listen to online. These include efforts from Sunday Afternoon (aka Eurovision 2014 singer Vilija) and the 2020 viral sensation Twosome.

Here are some you can check out right now.

Pabandom iš naujo! 2021: All the songs released so far in Lithuania’s Eurovision selection

Aldegunda — “Sit Down”

Aldegunda last attempted Eurovision in 2019 when she reached the semi-final stage of Lithuania’s domestic contest with “I Want Your Love”.

Gabrielė Goštautaitė — “Freedom”

Rapolas — “Degam”

Sunday Afternoon — “Open”

Lithuania’s Eurovision 2014 star Vilija Matačiūnaitė returns using a new stage name — Sunday Afternoon. “Attention” just missed out on qualification in 2014, finishing 11th in its semi. She last took part in the national selection in 2017. On that occasion, she failed to make it past the first round.

Twosome — “I Love My Bear”

Twosome went viral in 2020. While “Playa” did not make it out of the Pabandom iš naujo! heats, it became a breakout hit with its catchy lyric “I’m a Lithuanian basketball player”. This year the group also competed on a celebrity edition of X Factor Lithuania where they finished fourth.

Voldemars Petersons — “I Never Fall for You Again”

Voldermars will be hoping that it’s third time lucky. He’s entering Lithuania’s selection on the back of two appearances in 2019 and 2020. He failed to progress past the opening heats on both occasions.

What is your favourite of the six songs above? And which song are you most excited to hear? Let us know in the comments below.

Follow all of our Lithuania Eurovision 2021 news here

Nick
Nick

I think my favorite has to be “Open.” Particularly, for the production quality. I feel like the song actually goes somewhere and flows pretty well. I generally like diversity and movement when it comes to the musicality of a song. I am not the biggest fan of the beginning, it sounds kind of dated. But, the last half is pretty good. The staging for this song has the potential to be really good as well. I would compare this song to that of Finland’s entry in 2017 “Black Bird.” While at first a lot of people weren’t into it, the… Read more »

Last edited 8 months ago by Nick
Reply to  Nick

Ha ha ha… I guess I was just assuming he says ”I’ll never fall for you again” and then my brain perceived the title as such. Even if that phrase is also kinda illogical, at least it would be grammatically correct in theory. The actual title is just a mess. Add the odd official video with two people seemingly in love and then she just kicks him every now and then… Is it supposed to be funny or not? Are we supposed to be ”rooting” for her, because he has done something wrong and the song is from her perspective?… Read more »

hebbuzz
hebbuzz

I think “I never fall for you again” is the best of the bunch of mediocre till bad songs. Its cute in a clumsy baltic pop way, bad english lyrics.

Second best is ‘Open’.

No winner heard though.

Jamie
Jamie
Reply to  hebbuzz

“In a baltic pop way” lol. That’s something a person who never heard actual Baltic pop would say. Literally the WORST comparison.

Jake Mason
Jake Mason

All i have going through my head is ‘I. will. go. On. The. Different. Road.’ Why do i love this so much haha, song could be quite good depending on vocals but no confidence

Lewis
Lewis

So far, Open is probably the best song, but I can’t see that doing well on stage. Would think Rapolas’ song would be most likely to win of these

Pedro
Pedro

Just as a small correction!! This won’t be Voldemars Petersons’ 3rd but 4th time!! He tried this year after the 2020, 2019 and 2007 Eurovision selections. According to his Facebook, he already tried. I guess as his former stage name: Kupido (Hero of today, eliminated in the 1st new artists heat).

PS: Aldegunda’s song is not so bad. Hope she’ll make it to the final. Still waiting for Titas&Benas, Evita Cololo and Milita Daikeryte’s songs to be released!

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips

I am a simple queer. I see a pair of sapphics and I click lol. I like the song though and will probably download it.

I’m waiting to see what the roop comes out with but as of now that’s the song I’m going with

About “I Love My Bear”: it looks like they have a visual trick similar to the one that Daði Freyr had in his Christmassy song – a smile inserted onto an object. In the bear video there is smile or a face inserted onto a ssaussage!! By the camp fire! How tasty! Delicious! With mustard of course LOL.

Ricky
Ricky

Last year we had “On Fire”, “Make me Human”, “Alligator”, “We are from the sun”, “Tave Cia Randu” and “If I Leave” which were all amazing, and would’ve done well at eurovision. None of these new songs compare to any of those… I’m hoping the Roop have a good song

Reply to  Ricky

You named exactly my 6 favorites from last year’s Pabandom is Naujo! Any of them would do very well in my Eurovision’s personal ranking and could get another solid result for Lithuania (The Roop with huge chances of getting the country’s best result ever). It was one of the best national finals last year.

Jamie
Jamie
Reply to  Ricky

When I said that this year’s PIN will be way worse than 2020, no one believed me. Well, there you go. I can assure that the rest of the songs will be as bad. The Roop is the only hope for Lithuania.

Zupa
Zupa
Reply to  Ricky

I also liked Breakaleg last year, was sad when she didn’t qualify. Hopefully she has something even better this year

LaVoixCZ
Reply to  Ricky

Well, you did miss two great songs by Meandi and Petunija in your list.

I like “Open”, but I don’t see any of these entries posing a threat to The Roop.

MyName
MyName

Lithuania is to me an underrated country in ESC! Some of their entries and NFs are really great. I generally like these songs. Not so impressed by Twosome, even if the idea is funny. Some interesting songs. My favourite is Degam. Very relaxing and different. Not a winner I know, but doesn’t make it worse. I am eager to hear what The Roop will come up with

Crew
Crew

Everyone knows The Roop will win. Iceland have Gagnamagnid, Russia will choose Little Big. It will be a match between this 3 groups like in 2020.

Reply to  Crew

I hope and pray it’s as good as On Fire

Zupa
Zupa
Reply to  Crew

On Fire grew off me, so I hope for something that I won’t get tired of from The Roop

Jamie
Jamie
Reply to  Zupa

Rumors say it’s an 80s style song, so not very related to On Fire.

KRM
KRM
Reply to  Jamie

Yeah, given that it’s most likely called “Discotheque”, I can imagine a song in 80s style.

Grace
Grace
Reply to  Jamie

That’s a bit worrying hearing that Stefania for Greece is also doing an 80s style song and my favourite in eesti laul (lost in a dance) is too. We could be inundated with similar sounding songs

Stephanie
Stephanie
Reply to  Crew

Well then I hope that another country comes up with a banger of a song that blows those three away!

So far I enjoyed Open, Degam, and Sit Down. So far. I need the lyrics for my final assessments.

Kosey
Kosey

Sunday afternoon was my favorite on first listen although I am not convinced it will do well at Eurovision.

I also enjoyed Voldemars Petersons although the grammar police side of me can not let the chorus go. Surely it should be “I will never fall for you again”? He is saying he won’t fall for the other person in the future not that he is doing it over and over in the present. Am I the only one bugged by this?

I didn’t enjoy the bear song, maybe it will grow on me, and the other songs were largely inoffensive.

blueeyed
blueeyed

All are total trash.

Regina Phalange
Regina Phalange

I only like Vilija so far

Andree

Let’s wait for ” Discotheque”

Rottendam
Rottendam

These songs are such a let down. Especially when Lithuania had such a good chance at getting their best ever result last year

Linus
Linus
Reply to  Rottendam

The Roop is left. It seems Lithuania are doing the best for a Roop win. If i was a lithuanian artist i would not compete this year when i knew Roop was in.

Pedro
Pedro
Reply to  Linus

Or I would, if my only interest was to showcase my new single “live” on national TV. Not so many artists (in Lithuania and everywhere else) use ESC-selections, even though Eurovision is not their final purpose.

Ria van de Velde
Ria van de Velde

I like these songs most

Aldegunda -Sitdown
Rapolas -Degam

Linus
Linus

Some maybe think my taste is bad haha, but i dont think any of these have a chance to win.

I’ve already mentioned my opinion about Twosome’s “I Love my Bear” yesterday. As for Gabriele Gostautaite’s “Freedom” – not my cuppa but it does not mean it is bad.

Voldemars Petersons “I Never Fall for You Again” – I still am a huuuuge fan of “Wings of Freedom” and I kind of expected a ballad from him. This one is not bad at all – I recognized his voice and vocal style. I think it is an OK song but I am curious to see how it will be staged. It also sings about my least favourite topic in music yet I like it because I think it sends a great message. Like taking break ups easily. And being joyful.

WannaEatMySpaghetti
WannaEatMySpaghetti

Not bad but I really hope the best is to come because none of these songs gives me final vibes.

Sunday Afternoon – “Open” – wow, I enjoyed it musically *a lot*. So pleasant and professional and safe and cozy. It’s my favourite of the whole bunch today. I love it!! I will try to understand the lyrics better but even without knowing the lyrics one can feel touched by it. It’s atmospheric and very, very nice.

Rapolas – “Degam” – musically it felt pleasant and safe and predictable and jazzy. I tried to understand the lyrics and all I could take was: “tu” is “you”. Then I think that “per” is “for”. And “ne vienas” could be “(you) are not coming” or “(you do not come/arrive). And “Nakties – naktj – nakty – naktis” could be variations of “night” in the good tradition of languages with different kind of inflections. I would be nice to see the lyrics in English too.

I transcribed the chorus and few more lyrics writing them on Google search, and it’s basically about a night of passion and love. I didn’t find the lyrics particularly elevating nor bringing down the music.

Last edited 8 months ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

Ok that’s great. Kudos for the effort. Thanks.

Last edited 8 months ago by Una
MyName
MyName

I love “Degam” 🙂

Aurelija
Aurelija

Rapolas Degam is cool!

Great thing happening in Lithuania! We have more songs!!!! My thoughts: Aldegunda – “Sit Down” – it was nice to watch and understand something from reading the subtitles. I am a bit lost as to the meaning of the song despite the visuals that might have been intended to help. I though it was about the world these days and power struggles and empowerment but at the end I felt it conveyed a sort of surrender to higher forces with the “sit down” at the end and the boot “crushing” the viewer. As for the music, the chorus was very… Read more »

I have actually enjoyed both of Voldemars Petersons’ previous two efforts at the NF, even though I can understand why they haven’t received many votes. However, this song was not what I was expecting from him and I’m not really sure it works, even for the small amount of people who enjoyed his prior work.

For me, these songs are not bad, but I’m certainly not getting any winner vibes either. I Love My Bear is a cute guilty pleasure, but if Playa didn’t do well, I’m not putting my money on it. Vilija’s song is instrumentally cool, albeit somewhat repetitive and linear. It has, what Tibor would call ”an alernative sound”. 😉 Most of these songs are more about creating a vibe than making a splash. Despite quite pleasant sounds, they don’t linger afterwards. Sit Down has an interesting contrast of verses and chorus (thanks, Aldegunda for providing us with subtitles), but the bridge… Read more »

Last edited 8 months ago by Colin
Bart
Bart

It looks like the artists created there own song and melody, i think they need more professional lyrics and melody. The best i would give it to the song Freedom, that would work in the gay scène and because of the corona virus we all need freedom! Also the best singer!

Bella
Bella

Gabriel Goštautait — “Freedom”
Yes!!! Awesome!

Last edited 8 months ago by Bella
Erasmus
Erasmus

Vilija’s song is fine, others are tragic. That song feat. a lesbian couple is nice, but nothing special

Lebanese esc fan
Lebanese esc fan

I actually quite like “Freedom”, it has this easy going chill vibe I occasionally cherish. “Degam” also has a pleasant jazzy feel to it which I also find enjoyable even if I’m not a massive jazz fan. “Sit down” verses are very edgy, yet the chorus is weirdly uplifting in a way? It’s an interesting combination. ” I Never fall for you again” does have a slight country twinge with a slightly repititve chorus. Still very decent I would say. And of course “I love my Bear” which is the token novelty act which I’m sure would prove a guilty… Read more »

Kim
Kim

I don’t know why, but I’ve not been expecting high quality songs this year. After listening to these, my expectations have not improved.

Erasmus
Erasmus
Reply to  Kim

Yeah I think that’s got a lot of do with the Roop being in again. I think the bigger names didn’t want to participate because of that.. We’ll see next year.

Jamie
Jamie
Reply to  Erasmus

Lithuanian here. The rush that The Roop caused is still in the air. Big names didn’t even bother. They will be back next year for sure.

Ashton
Ashton

freedom is the best here. the rest are..bad

gotta be honest here, they’re all really bad…

Okan
Okan

None of these songs would make it out of a semi