Graham Norton BBC Eurovision

Eurovision fans have known since May that the song contest will return in 2021. But now the news has been confirmed for casual UK viewers. The BBC’s Eurovision commentator Graham Norton confirmed the good news on a recent radio appearance.

Norton, who has commentated the Eurovision grand final for the British broadcaster since 2009, told US radio station Sirius XM that despite the Covid-19 pandemic, “There’s definitely going to be a Eurovision… The competition element is going to happen.”

The Irish presenter, famed for his wisecracking quips during his commentary explained to listeners how the contest would go ahead in the middle of a pandemic. He said, “I think they’re ready for any eventuality. If some countries can’t travel, they can Zoom in a performance.”

The EBU previously confirmed that all competing acts will be required to record a locally staged “live on tape” version of their performance, to ensure that Eurovision 2021 will be able to go ahead regardless of any pandemic restrictions. However, these performances won’t be a Zoom-quality video call. Delegations will record a broadcast-quality clip.

While BBC Eurovision commentator Graham Norton has confirmed that Eurovision 2021 will be going ahead, the BBC itself has not yet given any details of the UK’s participation in the contest.

The four potential scenarios of Eurovision 2021

Norton was also clear that it probably wouldn’t be the usual Eurovision situation, with a packed arena. He added, “I doubt we’ll be in a stadium full of 20,000 people.”

The EBU has planned four scenarios that will ensure the song contest can go ahead regardless of any restrictions from the Covid-19 pandemic.

Scenario A is a normal Eurovision Song Contest, with a packed arena audience. However, this seems very unlikely for 2021.

Scenario B is a socially distant Eurovision. It would still involve a live audience, but with smaller and socially distanced seating. Scenario C is similar to B, but also allows for some delegations to stay in their home country and perform remotely.

Scenario D is Eurovision in lockdown. The show would still go ahead, but with no live audience. All delegations would participate via a pre-recorded performance that will be presented from the show at Ahoy Arena.

Eurovision 2021 producers recently confirmed that a decision on which scenario will be used is expected to be made sometime in February.

What scenario do you think is most likely for Eurovision 2021? How should the UK select their act for Rotterdam? Sound off in the comments section below!

Read more Eurovision 2021 news here

Fatima
Fatima
11 days ago

It doesn’t seem right to get excited about 2021 when the 2020 contest never took place. I know that is silly, but my interest in the contest has halved in the past 12 months. I hope I feel differently by May.

11 days ago
Reply to  Fatima

If it helps, Junior Eurovision 2020 managed to go ahead, albeit with recordings. I know a lot of kids didn’t like it, but it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. It was better than the depressing tribute show that ESC 2020 produced, IMO.

MartyMcCU
MartyMcCU
12 days ago

Fans who go every year and bloggers don’t force the show to be cancelled because you can’t go. From the feedback reading what people are writing they are putting their own interest first before what the show stands for and the fact the COVID 19 situation is still bad , if not even worse. Remember it’s a TV show and you can blog from home . Scenario D will be the outcome , it’s cheaper, allows for consistency , and it will be a great show like the Junior contest last November. With the wonders of technology I am sure… Read more »

Last edited 12 days ago by MartyMcCU
Denis
Denis
12 days ago
Reply to  MartyMcCU

Sigh! What is it with negative Nellys seemingly hoping for option D as if that is the only option? JESC being held remote only made it painfully aware it was a tv- show rather than a live singing contest. If it is just a tv- show as you think it is, then they can just as well show videos and vote on that. No one wants option D and no one should advocate for it either

Last edited 12 days ago by Denis
RavensHeart
RavensHeart
12 days ago

The EBU have made clear that precious Netherlands must get to host a full show above all else, no matter the costs, so it will be no lower than scenario C.

Maya G
Maya G
12 days ago

I love his commentary so much. He’s snarky at times but you can feel he has genuine love for the contest.
I wish the UK wins just so he can host it.

12 days ago
Reply to  Maya G

Australia might also pay him to host it. 😀
(Dare I mention the Irish?)

Last edited 12 days ago by Purple Mask
12 days ago

With the increasing call for tougher Covid restrictions in the UK, at this rate it will be one person singing with a mask on, a cappella. Hey, I am still available for that! 😀

ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA
12 days ago

Given that Option A is unlikely apparently I’m hoping for Option B, which I think is most likely. When May comes around the number of infections should come down just like last May and a lot more people will be vaccinated. Also the people most vulnerable to the virus are the elderly and not many elderly people attend Eurovision anyways. The overwhelming majority of people who attend Eurovision as well as the contestants in every Eurovision are younger people under the age of 40 or 50.

Eurovision fan
Eurovision fan

I thought they dropped some news about their 2021 artist and song O_o

13 days ago

welllll this is not news, not worthy of reposting it. i understand that it is a slow week but it’s hardly news.

Graham should spill the tea on the UK entry and not act like an EBU representative.

I am worried about the UK entry, no news or hints. It’s gonna be James again or the drag queen show..

13 days ago

The official Eurovision channel has an awesome video on Albania. So stereotypical that it hurts. *But* it was so much fun to listen!! Can’t wait to see if they will publish such videos on each country!!

In other news, no news.

Reply to  Whisker

Disappointing but what else to contemplate on during the weekend.

Nobody
Nobody
13 days ago

The thing is, May is still months away but things are not looking good in The Netherlands. We are in a stricter lockdown right now then we were last year in March, when basically the entire world was in lockdown, and this lockdown we are in now will probably be extended for at least two more weeks. I really hope for scenario B but I just can’t imagine it given the situation in my country right now… Which obviously sucks because Dutch people are so passionate about Duncan’s win and we were so excited about Eurovision coming to the Netherlands.… Read more »

esc2021rotterdam
esc2021rotterdam
Reply to  Nobody

I really hope you can get your next win in a few years and not to wait another 44 years, hopefully Jeangu can win this year, if not so send Duncan again or another very successful artist from your country to eurovision

esc2021rotterdam
esc2021rotterdam
13 days ago

Did you hear about it? there was a concert in Barcelona that 500 people attended and while having to wear masks the audience didn’t have to keep social distancing and only negative rapid Covid tests were required to enter the venue, but no one has gotten the virus, It gives me hope to have a close to normal contest. Btw, why is the UK so silent about their participation?

Cameron
Cameron
13 days ago

BBC is doing a lot of shows at the moment as everything was pushed back, corona is at its worst position since the pandemic began etc…

Denis
Denis
13 days ago

Why are people so pessimistic and saying option D is the most likely? Had ESC been now or in next month then yes it would have been the most likely. But in May things will look better, infections will have fallen. As I said before I do like to think the organizers think ahead when they plan for ESC so I do think option B will be the most likely by that time.

Reply to  Denis

They made some official statement the other day making the decision in February. It’s linked in this very article.

Denis
Denis
13 days ago

Yes I read it. But I still like to think that they think ahead when they take a decision. That is why I think option B. Option D is option D for a reason, and that is if things gets worse. Nobody wants it.By May I don’t think things will be worse..

Reply to  Denis

Sure, foresight is essential. I just think that it’s good to make the decision as early as possible. Many a fan know it takes a lot of resources and mgt and organizing and such for a contest as such scale as Eurovision. With 41 countries involved. Mygod. In this day and time. At least we have scenario D.

Anyway, I am not excited for scenario D either. It would make a TV contest, not a song contest. Better than no Eurovision. But still not amazing.

waitaminuteholdon
waitaminuteholdon
Reply to  Denis

There’s nothing wrong with option D, it’ll be unique and memorable.

Leo
Leo
13 days ago

I’m sure it is scenario B. Many will be vaccinated, but not many from the ESC clientele, but I think there will be a fully seated limited audience of 5,000 (15,000 is obviously unrealistic), perhaps at tables, and all acts will travel, except perhaps Montaigne. I’m glad that Graham Norton is promoting the brand to the US, just like Loreen, Conchita, Netta, Foureira, Mahmood and Duncan in the past, and Dadi and Athena (it’s obviously when, rather than if, she gets the chance she deserves, but I mention her because I have sometimes told of when I managed to promote… Read more »

Last edited 13 days ago by Leo
euroboy
euroboy
13 days ago

We can exclude the option A for sure, but at the same time careful with excluding the option B. Everything can happen until May and I got the feeling people are quite pessimistic currently by predicting option D most likely to happen. Option C is definitely most adequate solution for the current situation as competing events are considered an essential travel and artists could travel freely with a negative PCR test. By the analogy of the vast majority of the people who comment here, Olympics won’t be possible to happen. I mean people get real, in some countries after the… Read more »

Last edited 13 days ago by euroboy
esc2021rotterdam
esc2021rotterdam
Reply to  euroboy

I read that the Japaneese government said that Olympics will 100% happen this July (but there will be Covid restrictions ofc).

Badwoolfgirl
Badwoolfgirl
13 days ago

If the olympics go forward, how much do you wanna bet that certain countries will be barred from participating due to poor handling of the COVID-19 virus? I bet my own country, the United States, will probably be barred because it’s such a mess.

esc2021rotterdam
esc2021rotterdam
Reply to  Badwoolfgirl
Alfonso Moreno Domínguez
Alfonso Moreno Domínguez
13 days ago

Wasn’t it already confirmed by the EBU? Isn’t he trying to explaine what the EBU already confirmed?

esc2021rotterdam
esc2021rotterdam
13 days ago

Maybe non esc fans don’t follow the news so Graham wanted to let them know that eurovision will happen that they might not think at May when mass gathering may be still banned that ESC is cancelled again.

Leo Howard
Leo Howard
13 days ago

I think Scenario B is likeliest as most of the most vulnerable will be vaccinated, and most acts will probably travel, so I expect 5,000 people sitting and at tables and with some distancing and with masks, but a full 15,000 capacity is not realistic or safe. Glad Graham is promoting the ESC worldwide, and I hope that acts like Dadi and Athena (it’s obvious that it’s when – not if – her first refusal is announced), as well as Loreen, Conchita, Netta, Foureira, Mahmood and Duncan in the past, allow more of the USA to know of this great… Read more »

Lollipop ESC
Lollipop ESC
13 days ago

I don’t think it will be scenario A…..scenario B only if all singers, teams and the Ahoi team + very small audience group got their 2 vaccination shots ….otherwise it will be mostly scenario D. In any case it is good that Europe and their friends stay strong together and make the Eurovision happen.

Last edited 13 days ago by Lollipop ESC
euroboy
euroboy
Reply to  Lollipop ESC

“otherwise it will be mostly scenario D” Why not scenario C? It is very likely to happen as competing events are considered an essential travel, apart from a few countries that might not allow it. I doubt that the Dutch would throw away their stage and venue and miss the opportunity to host it on-site.

Marc
Marc
13 days ago

His commentary of Eurovision of Eurovision is worth every penny! This article is based on him revealing in an interview to the large number of annual Eurovision viewers who don’t think twice about it until the final.

Leo
Leo
Reply to  Marc

I think his music tastes relative to ESC have evolved since he came in, and I love his voice.

Marc
Marc
Reply to  Leo

I agree- I don’t think he is just making fun of the whole contest. He clearly is a fan and enjoys a lot of the music.

Jofty
Jofty
13 days ago

How good of Norton to share this exciting and unexpected news with us worth every penny of his huge salary!

Denis
Denis
Reply to  Jofty

So you haven’t seen his show? That is worth every penny..

Reply to  Jofty

To be fair, out of the all of the grossly overpaid BBC presenters, Graham Norton is one of the few to be somewhat entertaining.