Portugal may be in its second national COVID-19 lockdown, but national broadcaster RTP is lifting the spirits of the nation. Today, all of the artists competing in Festival da Canção 2021 were revealed. The broadcaster also released the full versions of the songs competing for a ticket to Rotterdam.
A digital press conference was held in RTP’s Lisbon HQ to introduce the 20 acts competing in the traditional music festival. Among the confirmed acts are Carolina Deslandes, Neev and mema.
View this post on Instagram
In December, the Portuguese broadcaster revealed the 20 composers who were invited to create an entry for Festival da Canção 2021. Some will perform their own songs, while others have written for another artist.
All acts were allocated to one of the semi-finals. The production team will later define the running order for the shows.
The show hosts were also confirmed. The first semi-final will be presented by Jorge Gabriel and Sónia Araújo. The following week, the second semi will be presented by Tânia Ribas de Oliveira and José Carlos Malato. The grand final will be hosted by Eurovision 2018 host Filomena Cautela as well as Vasco Palmeirim. Inês Lopes Gonçalves will be the green room host.
The semi-finals of Festival da Canção 2021 will take place on February 20 and 27. The final is set for March 6.
Festival da Canção 2021 – Competing entries
- Nadine “Cheguei Aqui” (Anne Victorino d’Almeida)
- Fábia Maia “Dia Lindo”
- Sara Afonso “Contramão” (Filipe Melo)
- Valéria “Na mais profunda saudade” (Hélder Moutinho)
- IAN “Mundo”
- Irma “Livros
- Karetus, Romeu Bairos “Saudade”
- Miguel Marôco “Girassol”
- mema. “Claro como água” (Stereossauro)
- The Black Mamba “Love is On My Side” (Tatanka)
- Carolina Deslandes “Por Um Triz”
- Da Chick “I Got Music”
- Joana Alegre “Joana do Mar”
- Graciela “A vida sem acontecer” (João Vieira)
- Neev “Dancing in the Stars”
- EU.CLIDES “Volte-Face” (Pedro da Linha)
- Pedro Gonçalves “Não vou ficar”
- Tainá “Jasmim”
- Ariana “Mundo Melhor” (Virgul)
- Ana Tereza “Com Um Abraço” (Viviane)
Festival da Canção 2021 – Rules
The 50/50 voting system is back, but with different forms for the semi-finals and the grand final. A single jury and the public televote will decide which songs will advance to the final. In case of a tie, the professional jury will decide which ones advance.
In the grand final, the decision will be split by televote and seven regional juries. This time around, if we have a tie, the televote will prevail.
What do you think? Which song do you think can win the national final? Who should Portugal send to Rotterdam? Tell us your thoughts below!