He’s the British Eurovision alum who brought us the timeless hip-hop classic “Teenage Life” in 2006. Now, Daz Sampson is hoping to make a song contest comeback, as he bids to represent Belarus at Eurovision 2021. His potential Eurovision song “Give You Love” — a duet alongside Belarusian singer Katya Ocean — appeared online in the early hours of Tuesday 26 January.

Earlier in January, Belarusian broadcaster BTRC opened submissions to find its 2021 Eurovision entry. In lieu of the regular audition process, BTRC asked hopefuls to submit a live performance of their songs. You can watch Daz Sampson and Katya Ocean performing “Give You Love” below.

Katya Ocean and Daz Sampson – “Give You Love” (Belarus Eurovision 2021)

“Give You Love” is a classic ’90s inspired dance-pop track. Katya sings leads vocal, while Daz raps on the verses. The duo seem confident about their entry — in the second verse, Daz raps about “blowing the roof right off Rotterdam”. As well, in true Eurovision fashion, there is a key change during the final chorus. Will the dynamic duo make it to Eurovision?

Daz Sampson at Eurovision

This isn’t the first time the rapper from Stockport has attempted to represent Belarus at Eurovision. In 2019, Daz competed in Nationalny Otbor alongside Nona, performing the eccentric dance track “Kinky Boots”. However, the duo failed to progress through the audition stage.

Daz Sampson represented the United Kingdom at Eurovision 2006 with “Teenage Life”. His hip-hop track placed 19th in the grand final, scoring just 25 points. However, Sampson enjoyed chart success in the United Kingdom, where “Teenage Life” peaked at number eight in the singles chart.

How will Belarus select its act for Eurovision 2021?

The Belarusian selection is open to both Belarusian and non-Belarusian citizens. After the submission period closes on Sunday 31 January, a small panel of music industry experts will judge the potential Eurovision entries. However, as of yet, it is unknown how Belarus will choose its Eurovision 2021 act. Due to the current pandemic, broadcaster BTRC reports that the selection format is still up in the air.

Belarus has only used an internal selection three times before — in 2010, 2011, and for their Junior Eurovision 2020 entry. With the auditions portion of the selection process scrapped, it is looking increasingly likely that Belarus may not hold a national final in 2021. For the first time in ten years, an internal selection could be on the cards.

What do you think of “Give You Love”? Should it represent Belarus at Eurovision 2021? Sound off in the comments below.

Read more Belarus Eurovision 2021 news here.

Amaan Storm
Amaan Storm

“Timeless”? I’m hoping that was tongue in cheek, because even at the time “teenage life” sounded ten years out of date.

This is absolutely awful. You can tell Daz Sampson was left behind in a late 90’s time warp where he lives out his youth!

Red X
Red X

I think if Belarus selects this or Braids, they are 100% opening the semi.

DonutLover
DonutLover

What’s with la la love this year ?
First in Israel now in Belarus!

Tom
Tom

“teenage life” needs to be in contention for one of the worst songs in Eurovision history.

This is hilarious! I won’t dignify it with a musical dissection, but as an entertainment piece, it does it’s purpose of making me laugh. Intentionally or not, that’s the question. 😉

Also, sending this entry might be a good middle ground for those who want to punish BTRC for their political affiliation and those who want them to compete regardless.

Last edited 5 months ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

“You need some la la la la lah, la la la la lah, la la la la lahh.”
“I’ll give you some la la la la lah, la la la la lah, la la la la lahh.”
Well, as euphemisms go… 😀

Daz Sampson
Daz Sampson
Reply to  Purple Mask

at last someone gets it

Confused
Confused

“Timeless hip-hop classic”

Was it a popular song back in 2006? I started watching esc that year, but I was too young and unable to check any songlists and such so I don’t know

Nils
Nils

Well … I’d love to see Belarus take part with some apolitical song, but after considering ‘Teenage Life’, I’d rather wait another year.

To be fair, I haven’t heard anything of his other output, yet. Perhaps he’s actually capable of producing something un-cringey.

waitaminuteholdon
waitaminuteholdon

I’m sorry, I have to laugh

I’m feeling extremely uncomfortable with Belarus’ participation in the ESC 2021.

Linus
Linus
Reply to  Whisker

millions are.

Micky
Micky
Reply to  Linus

millions all over the world XD

Kalla
Kalla
Reply to  Whisker

If there is a live audience I can imagine the outcry of boo’s that will come from the audience when there name is called. My first Eurovision in 2013 and it was the same for Russia, god knows how they managed to dub it down on tv going out live!

CRAIG
CRAIG

lol @ calling Teenage Life a “Timeless Hip Hop Classic”

Eastman
Eastman

Wow talk about failing to read the room. Is Daz Sampson so desperate to return to Eurovision that he’s trying to do it via Belarus after all that is happening there? I like Daz but this is so disappointing

Kalla
Kalla

I am really disappointed a fellow brit wants to be involved with such an awful broadcaster. I know it’s about the song blah blah blah. But when it’s in collaboration with a such an abomination of BTRC I find it hard to want to support that.

If the Daz entry makes it past the audition, then interviews will of course be of great interest for reasons outside of the contest itself. This could be awkward, but let’s see what happens first.

Linus
Linus

WRITE to their instagram and tell them what you think about their support for a killer regime where the tv station is owned by the regime. the regime has banned VAL to enter. i have put info out on several FREE BELARUS pages with millions of members.

@katya.ocean and dazsampsonoffical.

Sirius
Sirius
Reply to  Linus

What regime are you talking about? 2 people died in Belarus and 2 dozens in France during Yellow Vests movement.

Linus
Linus
Reply to  Sirius

write in Alexander Lukasjenko- Belarus protests on you tube. You will get all info. teens have been killed by his police. Many have died

Nils
Nils
Reply to  Sirius

Not so fun fact: Just while you were writing your propaganda stuff, I read that at least four people who were imprisoned during the protests died after being tortured.

If you think you can troll anyone here, you’re in the wrong place, pal. gtfo!

Jamie
Jamie

I don’t think I’ve ever cringed harder.

Tim
Tim

Who ever gets to Eurovision 2021 is a supporter of Belarus disgusting president. If you are with the people you would want for Belarus to get excluded. Their 2020 singers got kicked out for not agreeing with the dictator of Belarus. BELARUSIANS I AM WITH YOU !!!!!

Last edited 5 months ago by Tim
Linus
Linus
Reply to  Tim

i have put out their instagrams on 6 FREE BELARUS pages on facebook. they will have a TOUGH time now.

Nils
Nils
Reply to  Tim

Please know that every true European stands with the Belarussian people. It isn’t much and unfortunately it doesn’t help you at all, but still …

Last edited 5 months ago by Nils

No offence but I have finally managed to unsee and unhear “Kinky Boots”. How could anyone think that was an ok song/performance to submit to a selection? Mind boggles.

sam
sam

stream braids by kazna SHE MUST WIN

Nicolas
Nicolas

Wait, everybody has already forgotten ‘Kinky boots” ? lol

EurovisionBenny_AUT
EurovisionBenny_AUT

The person representing the suppressed and COVID-affected Belarusians should not be the British Daz Sampson. Now less than ever, regardless of the song’s qualities.

If he were selected, it would only show how little the Belarusian government cares about promoting its people. After all, the broadcaster participating on behalf of Belarus is, like all of them, state-owned.

I do know that the co-artist is from Belarus.

Last edited 5 months ago by EurovisionBenny_AUT
Red X
Red X

Right now I feel either him or Kazna should represent Belarus in 2021.

Tom
Tom

I thought they are out of ESC 2021

Cameron
Cameron
Reply to  Tom

Why would they be out, the protests have nothing to do with Eurovision and EBU wouldn’t kick them out for that

Tom
Tom
Reply to  Cameron

I know, but there were some gosips that they will be kicked but idk rly 🙂

Jamie
Jamie
Reply to  Cameron

Well, Belarus was kicked out of multiple events as a host, so it would make sense… but whatever. Their entries are absolute trash anyways.

Linus
Linus
Reply to  Cameron

WRONG. 1000s of people have emailed EBU. 10000s have emailed Martin Österdahl. Petitions have over 900.000 names to kick Russia and Belarus out. se we will see

Nils
Nils
Reply to  Linus

Even if … we know, they’d never kick out Russia since it would hurt Eurovision’s image as a global brand. And I’m afraid they also wouldn’t kick out any other participating nation because they are only about talking ‘Love, Love, Peace, Peace’ instead of acting accordingly and banning all those countries who only joke about those values Eurovision once represented.
And yes, I’m also pointing at you, Azerbaijan (or rather your ‘president’).

Edu
Edu

It’s a YES for me. So eurodance! I love it 🙂

Azaad
Azaad

Why any foreigner would want to represent Belarus after what happened last year is perplexing to say the least.

Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  Azaad

Eurovision is surely about the song rather than the country? If we go down the route of saying we are voting for countries, Eurovision will die. Or at least be a much less diverse place than it is now.

Nils
Nils
Reply to  Kosey

So if British lad Daz Sampson’s sole motif is to make himself more popular, Belarussians are supposed to say ‘Hey, that’s our guy!’ and root for him?

Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  Nils

Yes, if they like his song – what has his nationality got to do with it? And you think any artist doesn’t go into Eurovision to make themselves more popular, then you are incredibly naive.

KRM
KRM

I haven’t listened to the other songs, but I liked “Braids” by Kazna.

Last edited 5 months ago by KRM

It’s the kind of entry their broadcaster deserves

Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  Joe

I am not sure why you would conflate an artist just trying to do their best with the serious political situation over there? Doesn’t make sense to me?

Reply to  Kosey

They’re working for the broadcaster if they go to Eurovision, aren’t they? No sympathy from me.

Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  Joe

I think the two things are separate though. I would prefer if we can judge a song on its own merits rather than merging it with the context of the country it is representing. It sounds to me that you’ve already made up your mind to dislike what Belarus sends to the competition or at least that is your starting point due to the political backdrop. And I think that makes for a weaker and less diverse competition since I would prefer for artistry not to be restricted in any way. In my opinion, the best way to make positive… Read more »

Will all submissions be available for the public at large? I am of course curious whether some known names in the Eurovision sphere have submitted. Like MIHAI – Romania 2006 – same class as Daz Sampson but with much, much better result. AFAIR he pulled out the Belarus selection in 2019 or 2020.

phone but on laptop
phone but on laptop

Amazing, Minsk 2022

Who wrote “Give You Love”? BTW I liked “Teenage Life” but the staging and presentation with the backing vocals was horrendous.

I kinda like it too. It’s in my top 15 of 2006. Even if it was not a strong year, it still is a good position to have. The staging was a cringe, yeah.

Last edited 5 months ago by Colin
Lolipopmonster
Lolipopmonster

Did I see it right? —>> Daz wears the same jacket in the ESC 2006 performance as he does in the new video. He doesn’t seem to be aging either. WOW!

Daz Sampson
Daz Sampson
Reply to  Lolipopmonster

no you didnt see it right its a diff jacket as for the ageing, its a secret remedy

Kosey
Kosey

Oh my, this was a very pleasant surprise! I have always loved a bit of Daz but even if I was maybe a little bias to start with, this is a really good track – instantly catchy and memorable, a mix of rap and soaring vocals and an overall uplifting quality. This song is perfect for Eurovision, I wish Daz and Katya all the best of luck – I am certainly giving them my love! And btw, I need some of the anti-aging cosmetics that Daz uses – he looks more like a teenager now than he did in 2006,… Read more »

Tom
Tom
Reply to  Kosey

its time to go back on the medication

Lolipopmonster
Lolipopmonster

First we got to know KAZNA – “BRAIDS” and now Katya Ocean feat. Daz Sampson – “Give You Love” …………..Belarus really want to survive their Semi-Final. Well, it could be worse …..I like both songs so far!

sTommie
sTommie
Reply to  Lolipopmonster

Can’t wait for KAZNA to get the Waylon treatment from the Eurovision press.
As for Daz, how desperate can you be.

Lolipopmonster
Lolipopmonster
Reply to  sTommie

well, daz has an happy upbeat song and that is better these bad days than a heavy ballad (see Albania) – that gives me nothing at all.