IMERIKA Melodi Grand Prix 2021

We met the four acts for Melodi Grand Prix 2021 semi-final five on Monday. And as Saturday’s show looms near, we’ve taken a look at the bookies’ odds for Norway’s Eurovision selection.

And, if the bookmakers are to be believed IMERIKA is the one to beat in semi-final five.

Melodi Grand Prix 2021 Odds: IMERIKA favourite to win semi-five

The “I Can’t Escape” songstress is trading on Unibet at odds of 1.33 Were these odds to play out on Saturday, she would win the semi and progress to the 20 February grand final. The remaining three acts would remain in contention for a wildcard slot, along with the eliminated entries from the other four semis.

IMERIKA’s closest competition, at least in the eyes of the bookies, is RIVER. The pop-country group can be backed at 3.5. The electronic stylings of Ane.Fin are third with odds of 8.0. Meanwhile, TuVeia brings up the rear at 9.0.

However, the bookies’ rankings are not necessarily an indicator of success. While the bookies did predict the victors for three of the semis, Stina Talling was top of the odds ahead of semi-final one. Ultimately, though, Blåsemafian emerged victorious despite only having odds of 5.0.

Melodi Grand Prix 2021 Bookmakers’ Odds — semi-five

1. Imerika 1.33
  2. River 3.5
  3. Ane.Fin 8.0
  4. TuVeia 9.0

Odds correct as of 13:00 CET 12 February, via Unibet

How the odds work

The decimal odds number represents the amount you win for every krone/euro/dollar bet. The number represents the total payout, rather than the profit. Your stake is already included in the decimal number.

Taking odds of 1.90 as an example, for every €1.00 you bet, you will get back €1.90 if you win. This includes 90 cents profit plus your original one euro bet.

Bookmakers set odds by looking at factors such as prior form, statistics, historical precedents, expert opinion and any number of other elements which could influence the result in question. After this analysis, the bookies will be left with what they deem to be the most accurate possible true odds of any outcome occurring. As these factors are always shifting, the bookies’ odds will remain in flux.

Do you agree with the odds? Is IMERIKA the one to beat? Let us know in the comments below.

Follow all of our Norway Eurovision 2021 news.

Alonso
Alonso
1 month ago

really hope this song and Imerika will represent Norway this year. good for her!

Ria van de Velde
Ria van de Velde
1 month ago

YES !! I agree with the odds, Imerika is a great singer and her song “I can’t escape”is very beautiful. I hope she will make it to the final and win the ticket to Rotterdam. I like the song from Keinno too , but I prefer Imerika.

canada_piano
canada_piano
1 month ago

FINALLY! A song to compete with KEiiNO for the win. this song and Monument give me chills

1 month ago

If she qualifies Norway are gonna shoot up the odds faster than you can say Discoteque

lol
lol
1 month ago

all the annoying keiino stans hating on this poor girl in the comments. Her song is amazing and she deserves to win

1 month ago

Sorry. I’m not feeling Imerika’s song at all. I think I like everything in this SF more. But, to be fair, it’s quite an interesting SF. River has the potential to be a really genuine performance on stage so I think they can overcome the odds.

Ricky Gervais
1 month ago

UMK running order confirmed. It will be between Blind Channel and Teflon Bros x Pandora by the looks of it.

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
1 month ago

the “bananas and avocadoes” indie girl voice she does is insufferable pls

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier
1 month ago

literally are you ever NOT negative

Esc addict
Esc addict
Reply to  Ashton Schier

She is positive only when it’s about her Italy, that’s all. You will see that during San Remo, everybody will be amazing….the best of the world…..for her as usual.

Last edited 1 month ago by Esc addict
1 month ago

Once that I know about Jorn’s faith I will start thinking seriously about faves and winner. Because “Faith Bloody Faith” is my top favourite in this year’s MGP.

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier
1 month ago

Why does a person’s religion influence your ranking???

Reply to  Ashton Schier

“Faith in the contest”. Mygd. Are you serious? Once that I know whether Jorn qualifies or not, I will think about my favourites and winner:
1. “Faith Bloody Faith” qualifies on Monday: it automatically becomes my winner.
2. “Faith Bloody Faith” does not qualify on Monday: I will choose another winner.

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier
1 month ago

Ok, I think you may have meant fate. But faith is often a synonym for religion, so I misunderstood your comment to mean “Once I know Jorn’s religion I will decide if he is my winner or not”. It’s very easy to see how I could glean that from your sentence. In any case, I’m glad to see that I misunderstood it.

Last edited 1 month ago by Ashton Schier
Reply to  Ashton Schier

I apologize – I meant “fate” not “faith”.

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier

All good!

Reply to  Ashton Schier

OK!!

1 month ago

I enjoy that song so much. It needs to be in the final. In my opinion, it talks about how religion is for the blind, which I absolutely agree with

1 month ago

I have very strong sentiments about religion so I will not talk about that now. I bloody love the song so I will leave it to that. But I got to say I am glad to see other people enjoying the song 🙂

1 month ago

It was co-written by the WigWam guy, I think. Just like ‘Wrecking Crew’, which I also liked. I am totally into that particular style of rock and songwriting. MUST be in the final. Wish we could help. 🙂

1 month ago

MUST be in the final!! Even if it doesn’t – I am keeping the song as a precious gift.

Lolek
Lolek
1 month ago

I agree with you Una. I LOVE Faith Bloody Faith (it’s even on my metal/rock workout playlist). Here’s to hoping he gets a spot in the finale.

Reply to  Lolek

1 month ago

Special credit to Imerika for the incredibly adorable single cover art and painting her hair in two of my favorite colors. Starting to become one of my top favorites.

Erasmus
Erasmus

lol love your comment

raylee
raylee
1 month ago

The winner of MGP21 is already clear , keiinoo has a winner material song for Eurovision

Erasmus
Erasmus
Reply to  raylee

raylee why would say that? I think you can still win:)

Lebanese esc fan
Lebanese esc fan
Reply to  Erasmus

Haha nice one 🙂

Effing
Effing
Reply to  raylee

Say that to the ESC 2018 juries…

Grft
Grft
1 month ago

This is such a good song. The most modern and heartfelt of the selection. It would deserve to go to Rotterdam.

Kit Kardashian
Kit Kardashian
1 month ago

Hey guys, rather than thinking my own style I’ve decided to copy someone else by looks, singing and most likely I’ll take the personality too! What do you guys think? =D

Erasmus
Erasmus
1 month ago

does any Norwegian know if she has any chances of winning? Because it is the most modern song by far and also very emotional.

Lebanese esc fan
Lebanese esc fan
Reply to  Erasmus

As much as I love KEiiNO, I do think they already had their chance at Eurovision so I would be happy if a new artist like Imerika wins somehow. However, TIX will almost certainly win, he absolutely annihilated the competition on the Norwegian chart, plus those “hearts” were absolutely going crazy when he performed. I can’t see any scenario besides him winning tbh.

1 month ago

I have no clue about the Norwegian music scene but I very much hope you are right because TIX is my clear favorite and I am totally rooting for him. I just hope he doesn’t let me down in English. If he insists on the English version, he should release it before the final at least so people know what they’ll get.

Erasmus
Erasmus
1 month ago

I like Tix’s song, but I find his staging to be soo ugly and dated.. hope he changes the staging and also keeps the song in Norwegian..

bored pineapple
bored pineapple
Reply to  Erasmus

No, this staging is one of the best I’d ever seen! His song about that phase of breaking off of strong love relationships when you’re denying and trying to return it. I think wings reflects that he should release and fly. Moreover, he connected with devils. Devils are thoughts and wishes to return that relationships. He’s ruling of them, but, at the same time, they’re ruling of him. That’s the reason why he can’t fly up. I don’t know is this true but I think this staging must mean something. And it will be masterpiece in any language but he… Read more »

bored pineapple
bored pineapple
Reply to  Erasmus

No, this staging is one of the best I’d ever seen! His song about that phase of breaking off love relationships when you’re denying and trying to return it. I think wings reflects that he should release and fly. Moreover, he connected with devils. Devils are thoughts and wishes to return thar relationships. He’s ruling of them but, at the same time, they’re ruling of him. This is the reason why he can’t fly up. I don’t know is this true but I think this staging must mean something. And it will be masterpiece in any language but he said… Read more »

Ivar
Ivar
Reply to  Erasmus

As a Norwegian I would say she definitely has a chance of winning – especially if she gives a good live performance. TIX is doing well in the charts, and I like his song a lot. But I am not at all sure that Norwegian televoters will give him victory. My hunch is that Keiino stand the best chance of winning, with Imerika as the dark horse

1 month ago

A great studio version. The clear finalist here, in my opinion, and proof that the quality of songs has increased tremendously in Norway. Last year was so bad but this year has various interesting offers and it’s the first time I am not on Mørland’s team at all.

Erasmus
Erasmus
1 month ago

omg same. Morland is my fave, but I knew from the beginning that I wasnt going to like Rein, he is just too dramatic and OTT.

Reply to  Erasmus

Same here. Don’t buy it at all.

Ivar
Ivar
1 month ago

I am a great fan of Mørland, but his collaboration with Rein is a big letdown. I really don’t like “Eyes wide open”. It is very pretentious and over the top

Reply to  Ivar

Yeah, it’s like I recognize a little bit of Mørland’s talent here and there in the song but overall, it went in a horrible direction, completely off the rails. Good thing Norway has plenty of strong choices.

Last edited 1 month ago by Mr Vanilla Bean