It’s been a busy week for VICTORIA. And now, she’s got a big decision on her hands! Every day since Sunday, the Bulgarian superstar has released a potential song for Eurovision 2021. On Thursday, the “Tears Getting Sober” hitmaker released “Growing Up Is Getting Old” — the sixth and final song in contention to represent Bulgaria in Rotterdam. It’s also the last track on her upcoming EP a little dramatic.

Listen: VICTORIA — “Growing Up Is Getting Old” (Potential Eurovision 2021 song)

VICTORIA says “Growing Up Is Getting Old” is very personal to her. “You can grow in many different ways. Sometimes going back to your roots, to the place you feel safe and the people you love, helps you find your purpose on Earth. This is the case for me”, she adds. “When I listen to the song I think of my mother, my father, my sister, my friends. All the people that mean the world to me.”

“Growing Up Is Getting Old” was co-written by VICTORIA alongside Swedish songwriters Maya Nalani, Helena Larsson and Oliver Björkvall. It’s one of the VICTORIA’s earliest songs, dating back to 2019 — it was even included in Bulgaria’s internal selection for Eurovision 2020. “It all started with the idea I had for the phrase ‘growing up is getting old’. Together with Maya, Helena and Oliver, we started to build around it and I believe we created something beautiful”, VICTORIA says. “The live instrumentation of ‘Growing Up Is Getting Old’ makes the song very special and I hope people will also fall in love with the song.”

VICTORIA at Eurovision 2021

VICTORIA was set to sing “Tears Getting Sober” at Eurovision 2020 before the contest was cancelled due to COVID-19 concerns. Bulgarian broadcaster BNT internally selected VICTORIA for Eurovision 2021 — but her song is yet to be decided. VICTORIA and her team are eager to hear from fans, music professionals and Eurovision experts before they make their final decision.

On Friday, the Bulgarian Eurovision team will launch an online platform to allow music fans around the world to share comments and feedback about VICTORIA’s six potential Eurovision songs. This will be part of BNT’s internal selection process and will ultimately inform the song decision for Eurovision 2021. The six songs in the running to represent Bulgaria at Eurovision 2021 are “UGLY CRY”, “Imaginary Friend”, “The Funeral Song”, “Dive Into Unknown”, “Phantom Pain” and “Growing Up Is Getting Old”.

What do you think of “Growing Up Is Getting Old”? Should this be VICTORIA’s song for Rotterdam? Sound off in the comments below.

Read more Bulgaria Eurovision news here

aroncido
aroncido
13 days ago

It’s a pretty straightforward list for me:

1. Growing Up Is Getting Old

raylee
raylee

DIVE INTO UNKNOWN TO ROTTERDAM

Doris
Doris
14 days ago

So depressing. Welcome to the NQ zone Bulgaria.

OberonYronwood
OberonYronwood
14 days ago

Honestly, that fact that each one of us has a different favourite is a true testamemt about the quality of the aforementioned songs. I personally don’t care because I like them all and I’m sure whatever they choose that Bulgaria is gonna bring quality and I most certainly appreciate that. Also, thanks to pancake for pointing out what many of us thought. That despite Billie Eilish trademark style, she did not invented, they were many before her, so stop with the comparisons, just appreciate a great young talent who is working tirelessly to bring us quality. Thanks for reading and… Read more »

Waar Is De Zon?
Waar Is De Zon?
14 days ago

Such an amazing EP. Whatever she picks, she’s a sure top 10/top 5 contender. She’s really gonna stand out in the crowd with these songs, which all feel very authentic to her.

My ranking:

1. Dive Into Unknown (9/10)
  2. Growing Up Is Getting Old (8,5/10)
  3. Ugly Cry (8/10)
  4. Funeral Song (8/10)
  5. Phantom Pain (7/10)
  6. My Imaginary Friend (6,5/10)
Last edited 14 days ago by Waar Is De Zon?
Ermin
Ermin
14 days ago

It will be such a mistake to not choose Ugly Cry.

LaVoixCZ
14 days ago

I think “dive into unknown” is really underrated. Clear favourite for me and I am just surprised it is not like that for a few more people. I wonder what would happen if this was the first released song. Just musically beautiful. And it does continue to “Tears Getting Sober” vibes so well.
On top of that, this one would be great for a staging (not afraid, Bulgaria knows what to do), I can see this making some good results – both with the jury and the televoting.

raylee

4. Growing up is getting old
  5. Dive into Unkown
  6. The Funeral Song
Rumpelstiltskin
Rumpelstiltskin
14 days ago

These all sound the same. Roll a die to pick the song.

Pancake
Pancake
14 days ago

This is a rant (I guess) in Victoria’s defense so just read at your own risk Am I the only one who finds it sad that most Eurofans don’t know what Antipop, Bedroom/DIY Pop, and Dark Pop is or what it’s supposed to look and sound like? Like I’ve seen comments about Victoria and how she’s becoming like Billie Eilish and I’m just sitting getting agitated while listing all the other artists that adopted that aesthetic and sound. Like, there’s a playlist in Spotify with Antipop and Dark Pop music and and let’s not forget artist like Joji, AViVA, Sub… Read more »

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier
Reply to  Pancake

Ugh thank you for bringing that up, there are so many dark pop artists and I bet that most of the people saying Victoria is copying Billie couldn’t name any more than Billie herself.

Dave
Dave
Reply to  Pancake

Look, I agree people should be a little more easy on her. But.. all the artists’ music you mentioned are a lot different to Victoria’s songs even if it’s the same genre. Obviously Billie didn’t invent the genre nor made it mainstream (imo), it’s just that Victoria uses the same combination of elements as Billie does.
IMO, the fact that so many people’s first thought is Billie when listening to Victoria, isn’t done most of the time to be hateful. If a western mainstream artist came out with Victoria’s tracks, I’d bet they get immense hate for their ..exaggerated inspiration.

Stian F
Stian F
14 days ago

“Imaginary Friend” and “Phantom Pain” are by far the best… “GUIGO” is just boring… And least interesting.

Naomi
Naomi
14 days ago

Musically, this is my favourite by far. HOWEVER, the lyrics are an absolute garbage fire (look no further than the tortured Tetris metaphor in the first 5 seconds of the song).

1. Ugly Cry – 6.2/10
  2. G.U.I.G.O. – 5.6/10
  3. Dive into Unkown – 5.0/10
  4. The Funeral Song – 3.4/10
  5. Imaginary Friend – 0.1/10
  6. Phantom Pain – 0.0/10

I completely understand why Victoria was so vocal about wanting to keep Tears Getting Sober for 2021. None of these come close.

Somebody
Somebody
Reply to  Naomi

What are those IGN scores lmao

N.G.
N.G.
14 days ago

It’s either Ugly Cry or Imaginary Friend for me. Both songs could do wonderfully.

Dive Into Unknown is good too but it doesn’t have the impact of the other two.

IHPIESC
IHPIESC
14 days ago

I like how a lot of PPL have diffrent tastes! Some likes Ugly Cry, some Dive into unknown, some likes, like me, The Funeral Song. It is very nice to see.
Anyway, my fav is the funeral song, but I won’t decide what will go for eurovision. Every of this song is good imo. We will see in few days/weeks (idk when it will be announced). Only what can I Say is saying good luck!

Nicolas
Nicolas
14 days ago

EQUINOX come back please !!!

Naomi
Naomi
Reply to  Nicolas

Haven’t we suffered enough?

Andi
Andi
Reply to  Nicolas

Just send Poli Genova!

NickC
NickC
14 days ago

Ugly Cry or Diving Into the Unknown for me. I have to with some of the comments that except for the ugly cry, the other 5 are somewhat similar. I understand that she is trying to establish her musical identity and stick to a style, but she could have taken a bit more risk in one of the songs.

Jamie
Jamie
14 days ago

Same six songs 0 creativity, looks like Billie Eilish and music style stolen completely from Billie Eilish.

Bob
Bob
Reply to  Jamie

Bob
Bob
14 days ago

She should choose ugly cry…

… If she wants to leave basically no impact on anyone. Ugly cry is the worst choice together with Phantom Pain. I think this one, dive into unknown and imaginary friend are the best choices.

Miskydisky
Miskydisky
14 days ago

This isn’t six songs. It’s just the same song six times.

Kris
Kris

The choices are clear :

If she wants to go upbeat : UGLY CRY
If she wants to go sombre : Imaginary Friend

Jago
Jago
Reply to  Kris

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
14 days ago

i must congratulate her and her team, this is how u build hype for your eurovision song AND for your ep/album (which i hope to see on spotify at midnight since it’s friday).

Kris
Kris
14 days ago

Thanks for the positive comment.

SHAUUNZERS
SHAUUNZERS
14 days ago

What are the repercussions if the ep is not up by midnight? :)))

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
Reply to  SHAUUNZERS

the repercussions will be her losing streams and the revenue that comes from them, on average €1 every ~200 streams

14 days ago

Musicians don’t profit fairly there anyway, she was never going to make much – only the big bosses do that – so all she’s losing is a tiny bit of extra promotion. There are far better ways to support your favourites during this awful time.

RennyWest
RennyWest
14 days ago

For me it’s between Ugly Cry and Dive Into the Unknown – still. My bet is on Ugly Cry.
Anyway – you can love her songs, you can hate them or feel nothing, but noone can deny that this promo-campaing for her EP is working.

PTLS
14 days ago

I feel like I’m the only one who loves Phantom Pain the most… The bassline gives me very cool modern and fresh vibes, while I’m not a fan at all of her other possible entries..

Vytautas
Vytautas
14 days ago

Probably the best song from the list we now know. Whereas it’s a TOP15 material, only time and staging will tell. Oh, and the full list of competing songs. Anyways. Did anyone encounter some déjà vu feeling at the part “Closing every door/Wanna be alone” (~0:32). Somehow I pictured the final episodes of HIMYM, I literally have no idea why.

Vytautas

5.the funeral song
6.phantom pain

Last edited 14 days ago by Stan
poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
14 days ago

Okay so I can’t help but notice that all six songs go quite a bit over the song length requirement. Every single one of these is going to require shortening and tampering with when she performs them in May. A lot of people like “ugly cry”, but I think that one is probably out of the question because it’s the longest one out of them all (not counting “phantom pain” but that one is technically a song that leads into the next one and probably won’t be chosen anyway). If we look at this as her picking the song that… Read more »

Last edited 14 days ago by poe-tay-toe-chips
Kris
Kris
14 days ago

All videos are more than 3:00 in length but if you reduce the parts of promotions and random music , only 3 songs are over 3:00 , 3 are under 3:00

kohen
kohen
14 days ago

Well, Bulgaria was my winner last year; unfortunately, none of these songs come even close to Tears Getting Sober… Imaginary Friend might be the best option for Victoria but to be realistic, I don’t think that she has a chance to win :/ anyway, good luck team Bulgaria

Az*rbaijan
Az*rbaijan
14 days ago

Imagine none of these “potential” songs getting selected and turns out this was just a bland promo for the EP lol

Ifty
Ifty
14 days ago

I found this one to be the most moving and relatable. All of them were nice (and pretty similar) but this one really made me feel something when I listened to it and it really took me on a journey. I think that the lyrics are the best too.

In short, I hope she picks this one.

Kosey
Kosey
14 days ago

Victoria has a very good EP on her hands. There is coherence and a consistent style throughout. Of course, here we all were expecting 6 different songs to choose for Eurovision but that is not what an EP is all about. She should be very proud of her first EP, well done Victoria!

As to what goes to Eurovision, who knows? My personal favourite is Phantom Pain because of that bass line, but I don’t think she can go wrong whatever is chosen.

Lucianna
Lucianna
14 days ago
  1. imaginary friend now (ugly cry was my winner like 15 minutes ago loool) 9,5/10
  2. ugly cry 9/10
  3. phantom pain 8/10
  4. growing up is getting old 7/10
  5. the funeral song 6,5/10
  6. dive into unknown 6/10

I actually like all of them. I definitely find almost all of them better than tears are getting sober (i just didn’t connect to that song at all)

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
14 days ago

Okay so it looks like my comment I posted earlier came true: A handful of people ARE having a bad attitude towards her for no good reason. Not every song that comes out this year has to be sunshine and rainbows. If she likes to sing about darker or moodier topics let her. Despite the subject matter, these types of songs might be what makes her happy.

Anyway,

1. the funeral song
  2. growing up is getting old
  3. imaginary friend/diving into unknown (they pretty much tie for me)
  4. ugly cry
  5. phantom pain
Eurovision fan
Eurovision fan
14 days ago

Fully agree. The Funeral Song is also my favourite. I could imagine all those starry lights in dark gradually turning on as she sings “Life is a mess that makes you mad…” and I think it could look very theatrical and gorgeous on TV.

Lisianthus
Lisianthus
14 days ago

Oh of course people who don’t like the same songs you do don’t have a reason to dislike it and only want to hear happy songs. Such a load of crap. Her singing style is not for everybody. I like the songs, but her singing style ruins them for me.
The Funeral Song is also my favorite, but those lyrics aren’t gonna go over well in the midst of a pandemic. Making the lyrics not so explicitly about death would give it a much better chance in these times.

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
Reply to  Lisianthus

Okay first of all, I didn’t rate these by what I think is most likely to do well in the contest. I rated these by my personal tastes. Being realistic, she’s probably going to send diving into unknown since that’s the one that’ll require the least tampering with to fit the length requirement and also it’s one of the most ESC friendly of all the options. Secondly, people really are hating her for ridiculous reasons. Being different from your tastes is one thing, but demanding she send a song exactly like tears getting sober, getting mad that the song isn’t… Read more »

Esc addict
Esc addict

“deal with it”

Last edited 14 days ago by Esc addict
Héctor
Héctor
14 days ago

I would personally pick this one. All six have quality, but none of them crearly stand out and they sound pretty similar. “Growing up is getting old” may be softy but it’s the one I was able to connect with. The others just sound good and have quality but didn’t say that much to me.

Overall, if I’m completely honest, I expected more. I think Bulgaria had more chances with “Tears Getting Sober”

Sergio
Sergio

This has to be the one

Benny Hill
14 days ago

Not sure why my previous comment was deleted. It seems like wiwibloggs is not the place for freedom of speech. Especially when there was nothing offensive or controversial in there.

Oh well…

Reply to  Benny Hill

There’s a filter that more or less randomly swallows comments, your comment will appear sooner or later, when the mods get to setting it free.

Ari
Ari

My personal opinion:

1. The Funeral Song (10/10)
  2. Ugly Cry (9.5/10)
  3. Imaginary Friend (9.5/10)
  4. Dive Into Unknown (9/10)
  5. Growing Up is Getting Old (9/10)
  6. Imaginary Friend (8.5/10)

This is an incredibly rare instance where every decision is correct and justifiable. I agree with most of you that Funeral Song would be in a bit of poor taste, but I love it all the same. Sofia is on the horizon.

Ari
Ari
Reply to  Ari

I put Imaginary Friend twice. Phantom Pain is 6.

George
George

THIS IS THE ONE!

Teddi
Teddi
14 days ago

I’m going to say something very unpopular – Toilet break.? Such downgrading comparing to her song last year were she could’ve easily won. These 5 songs sound very much same.

14 days ago

I love the buildup and climax of this song, I can imagine this would be wonderful with an incredible staging and lighting. This one sounds like it would be an amazing concert experience

Ria van de Velde
Ria van de Velde
14 days ago

I like this song. My favorites are:

1. Dive to unknown
  2. Growing up is getting old
  3. Imaginary friend
Etienne Micallef
Etienne Micallef

I like her style…. but Ugly Cry remains my favourite

14 days ago

This one is nice, but it hasn’t changed my mind. My favorite still is “Dive into Unknown”, the one which had the strongest immediate impact on me. But I would be also happy with “Imaginary Friend” (this one is growing on me and has a sing along quality on it) or “Ugly Cry” (the most radiofriendly option, but an entry that will feed the endless comparisons to Billie).

Reply to  Sabrina

We really don’t agree on anything this year, do we? 😉

Reply to  Tibor

Not even about “Discoteque” or “Shum”? I think you like the first, but I don’t remember if you ever posted a comment about the later.

But we would never agree about Victoria’s songs anyway, cause what I like the most on her music is exactly what you don’t like. “Uglu Cry” is probably our intersection here.

Reply to  Sabrina

Oh, yeah, I forgot about “Discoteque”. I haven’t made up my mind about “Shum”, yet, so no, I didn’t post a comment. And “Ugly Cry” is not our common ground, I didn’t like that one at all. My third would be “Imaginary Friend”, so that’s the one where we agree, a little bit. 🙂

Reply to  Tibor

By the way, it seems “Imaginary Friend” is the most popular, at least that’s the perception I have by reading comments online. It’s probably the song that reaches more people. It’s not too “Billiesh”, or too dark, or too “Disney”. Strategically, sounds like the safest choice for the delegation to work with.

Reply to  Sabrina

It has a very pretty chorus that gets stuck in your head rather quickly, so it’s not the dumbest thing they could do. But I still think that the dramatic built-up of “Growing up is getting old” lends itself to a more effectful presentation. But they’ll probably go with the one that’s the most similar to “Tears Getting Sober”, anyway – and that’s your favourite.

Reply to  Tibor

Which is also the only one signed by Milanov… Anyway, if it stays between those 2, I’ll be happy.

I like the build-up on “Growing Up…” but I think the lyrics got a little redundant. Though I loved the imagery of play tetris with emotions to keep them inside.

Reply to  Sabrina

It makes sense then, that they sound so similar … I used to like a lot of the Milanov entries, but I’m getting a little tired of his ubiquity lately.

Reply to  Tibor

From the “usual suspects” of the Eurovision songwriting club, he’s by far the one with a better record with me. I don’t remember seriously disliking any of his songs and he got to my top 10 a few times. Though I agree that’s a little exhaustive to see him (and the other members of the group) everywhere.

NickC
NickC
Reply to  Sabrina

Yup. That is the key. Milanov. Thsts is why dive into the unknown will be the one

Alo
Alo

For me
1.imaginary friend
2.ugly cry
Victoria’s songs are really nice, but I kinda fear none of them has that instant appeal that can make people vote(or juries).

Eurovision fan
Eurovision fan

The Funeral Song is the one she has the most chances for Sofia 2022 with

Grft
Grft
Reply to  Eurovision fan

I think it’s the worse lol

Eurovision fan
Eurovision fan
Reply to  Grft

Okay, it’s the only song whose beat and words I fully remember. But yea, it’s the song about death, we need something bright after this pandemic… -_-

sam
sam

1) dive into unknown
2) imaginary friend
3) ugly cry
4) growing up is getting old
5) funeral song
6) phantom pain

i’d be happy with any of them but i just don’t see phantom pain as being able to deliver a memorable enough staging. dont get me wrong though there is no way bulgaria wont go to the grand final again this year

Last edited 14 days ago by sam
Reply to  sam

I would rank them in the exactly same order.

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
Reply to  sam

You might be happy because “dive into unknown” is probably the one she’s the most likely to bring to ESC since it’s the shortest in length (all six of them go over the time limit though)

14 days ago

This builds well from the string quartet to a full orchestral and choral sound. Lyrically it’s still far from being cheerful, but musically it’s more uplifting than her other songs. I was not fond of the 60s (some say Disney) infused sound of “Tears getting sober” or “Dive into unknown”, but this one I actually like. My second choice would be “Phantom pain” – a little derivative, but groovy.

Ifty
Ifty
Reply to  Tibor

Why does it have to be lyrically cheerful?

Reply to  Ifty

When did I say it had to?

Nobody Important
Nobody Important
14 days ago

None of these songs come even close to Tears Getting Sober.

Viggz
Viggz
14 days ago

Can we plz forget TGS right now, it hurts when we are comparing to TGS because it was my winner in 2020. Let’s be positive, it’s a new year and I can still see Imaginary Friends and Growing up is Getting Old in Top 10 or even maybe Top 5 with a great staging.

SVARA

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
14 days ago

And water is wet. like a hundred other people said this already. The important thing here is figuring out what her best song for 2021 is.