Destino Eurovisión has aired and Spain has decided: Blas Cantó will sing “Voy a Quedarme” at Eurovision 2021.
“Voy a Quedarme” is Blas Cantó’s Eurovision 2021 song for Spain
Raw emotion and Blas’s moving vocals were on full display during Destino Eurovisión. And “Voy a Quedarme” was clearly the song that showcased those assets best. The global vote saw the song win 58% of the vote, defeating the other song “Memoria”, which earned 42% of the vote.
“Voy a Quedarme” is a powerful ballad with a modern arrangement. Blas Cantó kept it subtle, performing surrounded by just a few lights and a full moon that shines brighter as the song evolves. This simple staging sought to grow along with Blas as he approached the climax of the song. Speaking to RTVE, Marvin Dietmann — Spain’s stage director for Eurovision — said he is all about Blas, his voice and his moment. And yes! Blas Canto’s wishes came true – he made the first change to the song and started a capella.
Blas Cantó wrote “Voy a Quedarme” himself alongside Leroy Sánchez – the composer behind Blas’ hit “El No Soy Yo” – Daniel Ortega and Dan Hammond. Both, Daniel and Dan, are also no new faces to fans. Dangelo co-wrote Blas songs “No Volveré” and “Complicado”, but also last year’s ESC song “Universo” – that Dan Hammong produced.
Destino Eurovision 2021: Final results
This year, the voting had no borders. Everyone from across the globe was able to help decide which song Blas should represent Spain with at Eurovision 2021. The voting had two phases: from the start on February 10th to before the Gala (phase 1) and a short voting period after Blas performed both competing songs (phase 2).
After phase 1 was completed, the percentage share between the two songs was 72%/28%. Although, we weren’t told which song had what share of the vote.
Things got a bit tighter for phase 2. Once the voting during the Gala was combined with the Phase 1 results, the final voting share was a 58%/42% split.
In the end, it was revealed that “Voy a Quedarme” was the song with the largest percentage of votes:
- “Voy a Quedarme” – 58% of total voting
- “Memoria” – 42 % of total voting
With almost 2-hours of Gala, Destino Eurovisión has been a celebration all about Blas Cantó, Eurovision and music. The Gala saw Blas perform both competing songs live. He also gave a rendition of Queen’s “Somebody to Love” with Eurovision 2015 star Edurne and sang his hit single “El No Soy Yo” with beloved Eurovision 2012 singer Pastora Soler.
A series of other famous faces, such as Vanesa Martín and Nia (OT 2020 winner), supported the start of Blas’ journey to Eurovision by singing some of Blas’ other hits, such as “Curame”, “Complicado” and more.
What do you think about Blas Cantó’s song for the Eurovision Song Contest 2021? Is this song enough for the Big 5 country to finally avoid the bottom 5 again? Let us know in comment section down below!