Non returning acts eurovision 2021

Italy’s Sanremo 2021 kicks off on Tuesday. Ahead of the Festival’s commencement, RAI held a press conference on Monday morning. During the session, one topic arose which will be of interest to international Eurovision fans — the possibility for Diodato and other non-returning 2020 acts to perform as part of an interval act at Eurovision 2021.

RAI’s proposal for non-returning 2020 acts to perform during the interval turned down by Eurovision 2021 organisers

Eddy Anselmi, a regular member of both Italy’s and San Marino’s Eurovision delegations, was amongst those in attendance at the conference. Writing on Twitter, he shared the comments of Claudio Fasulo, Sanremo’s Executive Supervisor. “We asked EBU to have Diodato and the other 2020 artists who will not return to be invited to Rotterdam as part of an interval act”, says Fasulo. “EBU and the host broadcaster just said no”.

A lot of Eurovision 2020 acts were reselected for Eurovision 2021 following the cancellation of last year’s contest. However, several acts won’t return. Some made the decisions themselves, others were passed over by broadcasters, while more were unsuccessful in their new national final attempts.

So far, the following acts will not be returning in 2021: Belarus’ VAL, Croatia’s Damir Kedžo, Cyprus’ Sandro, Norway’s Ulrikke, Denmark’s Ben & Tan, Albania’s Arilena Ara, Finland’s Aksel, Portugal’s Elisa, France’s Tom Leeb, Germany’s Ben Dolic and Italy’s Diodato. Sweden’s The Mamas and Estonia’s Uku Suviste are still competing in national finals. The exact status of Russia’s Little Big, Poland’s Alicja and Armenia’s Athena Manoukian remains unknown at the time of writing.

What do you think of RAI’s proposal? Would you have liked to see the non-returning acts appear in 2021? Let us know in the comments.

Follow all of our Italy Eurovision 2021 news.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
60 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
dxi
dxi
1 month ago

Noooooo, my last, tiny chance of seeing Diodato perform ”Fai Rumore” live, thrown out the window D:

Last edited 1 month ago by dxi
Denis
Denis
1 month ago

I see why it was turned down! Wasnt that what the Shine a Light show was for? Problem is also that most artists have also moved on from ESC. Also why is Italy suddenly playing morality police and trying to give others guilty conscience?

Duh
Duh
1 month ago
Reply to  Denis

I think it’s a good thing that RAI wants to showcase their ideas, you can’t keep Eurovision fresh and updated if you won’t even try to give new views.

There is no “morality police” on RAI’s part, it’s just an idea and I think you’re just blaming them for nothing.

sTommie
sTommie
1 month ago
Reply to  Duh

The moment Italy wins they are free to showcase their fresh ideas as much as they want.

Railey
Railey
1 month ago
Reply to  sTommie

Every broadcaster is allowed to showcase and give ideas all year round, that’s how EBU works. If only the last winning country would be able to pitch new things to the contest it would only evolve around certain countries when others would be neclected.

sTommie
sTommie
1 month ago
Reply to  Railey

We are talking about an interval act, not about the rules of the contest. Only the organizing broadcaster decides about things like flag parade, guest performances, interval acts, etc. Like I said, RAI can show us their ideal show after they won.

Railey
Railey
1 month ago
Reply to  sTommie

It’s just an idea they pitched, RAI didn’t stomp their feet on the ground and made it happen no matter what. I’m sure every broadcaster wants to make the best show and all ideas are welcome, but it’s up to the host broadcaster to decide what they want to showcase.

RoG
RoG
1 month ago

Diodato is one of the best artists that have ever come out of Eurovision, even if he didn’t get to perform on that stage. Even if he didn’t get to actually hold the trophy, he won it. Or perhaps he won something even better. His career has rocketed like no other over the last year. Fai Rumore is an authentic “capolavoro”. Had it not been for the pandemic, we’d all be partying in Italy this May, but after all, all roads lead to Rome… and Italy will soon have their very well deserved victory.

Yanis
Yanis
1 month ago

There’s 41 participants from last year, some are back this year so they clearly can’t do that and then it seems a bit dull to showcase like 13 people from previous year while others compete. This is why Europe Shine A Light was made, or so I thought.

Hoping all the best and they’re all welcomd back, but maybe it’s time to move on

notyourtoy
notyourtoy
1 month ago

I’ll say it here but there is a propability that Belarus might not take part this year. And about Armenia still things are not very clear, they still try to overcome the war

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
1 month ago

In theory it seems like a good idea, but it might perhaps be a bit messier in practice. Would ex Hooverphonic singer Luka get to perform “Release Me”? Would Belarus be happy for VAL to represent them? Would it be weird having Aksel perform his old song when his new song didn’t get selected? And what about Sammy Clay, who has since moved on from his ESC 2020 performance identity Sandro?

Jonas
Jonas
1 month ago

There would be no valid reason to keep anybody out, and no valid reason to force somebody to do it if they didn’t want to.

John
John
1 month ago

The EBU did their thing by airing “Europe Shine a Light” last year. That’s all they have to do. Everyone except Hooverphonic took part. If the organizers want to show continuity then they can just air the 4 min song that was recorded with Katrina as part of the opening ceremony. Other than that the Dutch can do their own showcase.

Last edited 1 month ago by John
Jonas
Jonas
1 month ago
Reply to  John

Hooverphonic did take part. They recorded a message for after their song, like everybody else.

Denis
Denis
1 month ago

Or the hypotical chance that Mamas wins again for Sweden. Would they perform twice then? ould that confuse viewers.

Lumjan
1 month ago

Words have cut me to the bone
And my heart is sinking like a stone
But I don’t let it show.. ?

Azaad
Azaad
1 month ago

Also why is RAI having a moral compass all of a sudden when they didn’t select Antonio? It’s especially galling because unlike other selections, Sanremo predates Eurovision and so doesn’t even need to be used as a selection show for 2021. Diodato could’ve been internally selected and Sanremo could go on unrelated to ESC this year like it was in the 2000s.

Liam
Liam
1 month ago
Reply to  Azaad

I know, that’s so true… that’s what I was hoping they would do for Diodato, but they didn’t. It is pretty disgraceful what some counties have done to their artists, and Italy especially has little to no excuse. The worse thing is that Diodato could have won it all for them!

Jonas
Jonas
1 month ago
Reply to  Azaad

I would’ve hated that, it would just mean losing out on another Sanremo winner – with Arisa’s luck, probably her.

Vale
Vale
1 month ago
Reply to  Azaad

Are you joying? It wouldn’t be fair for the winner of this year. Galling? Sanremo Predates Eurovision? Darling, you are completely out of mind!

sTommie
sTommie
1 month ago

If only there had been a way to internally select Diodato. But no, let’s passive aggressive try to put the blame on someone else.

Mircs
Mircs
1 month ago

It would be great but I guess it’s better when they are try again to compete. Also I don’t think it’s in the power of the EBU but the task of the local broadcaster to bring them back again. As for some countries (yes Denmark, it’s you) I’m disappointed how it went, when selected artists tried again to compete. But I’m especially sorry for those artists who’s been internally selected with a broadcaster’s faith in the artist in 2020 and than didn’t get selected again. That’s a significant difference to those who won a national final.

Bigger
Bigger
1 month ago

That seems reasonable to me. It’s the EBU which (rightfully due to safety concern) cancelled the contest, not AVROTROS or the Dutch side (it only costed them extra money, without getting the expected revenue from ticket sales up to revenue/tax from restaurants, hotels and bars in the city). I don’t know why they get the pressure now to welcome those artists while some countries could’ve/should’ve made agreements with the artists so that they could go in 2021. Even if they want to execute that plan, it would form problems: you have to transport not only the artists and delegations of… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by Bigger
Az*rbaijan
Az*rbaijan
1 month ago

My boy Sandro… he was too fresh for this outdated contest

Matt Church
Matt Church
1 month ago
Reply to  Az*rbaijan

He changed his stage name…. now goes by Sammy Clay . I preferred Sandro.

GrantK
GrantK
1 month ago
Reply to  Az*rbaijan

Yeah he was so fresh… more like stale, bland, uninspired and been there done that.

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
1 month ago

Tbh i’d love for all artists to get their moment but if certain broadcasters really feel that way they should have internally selected them.

Also what would such an interval look like? Would all 11-16 artists sing a tiny snippet from last year’s respective songs? Because that almost doesn’t seem worth the trip and we already had that in last years remembrance show.

Last edited 1 month ago by Frisian esc
hetz2
hetz2
1 month ago

Wow that would be so nice I mean they deserve that!

Sabrina
Sabrina
1 month ago

I would love if all those artists had the chance to compete in 2021 as intended for 2020. But I don’t think an interval act performance would replace the whole Eurovision experience, so I prefer if they compete in the next few years. Especially Diodato (who I’m sure will be back to Sanremo in several occasions) and Ukrikke (who I believe will try her chances again very soon), since they are the ones I’ll miss the most.

myoozik
myoozik
1 month ago

Wow, that’s rude

Ieva
Ieva
1 month ago

It’s a shame we will not hear some of the artists in 2021 but (in most cases) it’s their broadcasters’ fault for not selecting them. The Netherlands should not be deprived of their right to choose interval acts (hopefully showcasing their culture).

Sam
Sam
1 month ago

I don’t see why they shouldn’t, all of them deserve a chance to perform a ESC, doesn’t matter what you thought of them last year they earned it and to not get the chance is really sad for them, I wish this happened

Alan Bond
Alan Bond
1 month ago

It’s time for the Dutch to showcase their talents , every country could of just reselected their 2020 participants
So I don’t think they need to be brought back as a interval act

Dave
Dave
1 month ago

All I can say is Norway should have internally chosen Ulrikke with falling apart. I know she was given the opportunity to take part in mgp but I’m glad she said no for the following reasons

  1. she deserved to be selected again and should not need to participate in mgp
  2. if she did participate she would have lost against tix, who won because he is a well known artist, not because he had the best song.

either way falling apart would be amazing for Eurovision and much better suited than boring fallen angel

Aan Gomes Branco
Aan Gomes Branco
1 month ago
Reply to  Dave

Oh I agree, fully. The song is boring and the staging is appalling.

GrantK
GrantK
1 month ago
Reply to  Dave

It’s not just boring that song is an abomination. Ulrikke should have had that invite to just go automatically.

Azaad
Azaad
1 month ago

It’s a noble thought but in a time of Covid managing all these extra performers from all corners of the continent would be a logistical nightmare. Also BRTC would boycott if VAL performed, and you’d have to exclude them, which is unfair, so no one can join.

Coco
Coco
1 month ago
Reply to  Azaad

Interval act is expensive, remember Switch Song (2019), or 5 winners in Azerbajan 2012.

myoozik
myoozik
1 month ago
Reply to  Azaad

Why would it be unfair to “exclude” BRTC in that case? No one was forcing them to fire VAL. They’ve only done it because VAL have supported the anti-Lukashenko protests in Belarus and that’s a horrible reason to fire somebody. If BRTC can’t deal with that, then that’s not “our” problem.

Last edited 1 month ago by myoozik
Azaad
Azaad
1 month ago
Reply to  myoozik

Morally, I’m on VAL’s side but you can’t deny it would be awkward as hell for all parties concerned. Would VAL want to represent Belarus in this capacity following the protests in the first place?

Also, AVRATROS selected Jeangu quite quickly for 2021. They shouldn’t face a backlash for the actions of other broadcasters.

Lorenzo Celli
Lorenzo Celli
1 month ago

I’m proud of my country for having such an idea. This shows the Eurovision has grown a lot in terms of consideration and love here in Italy. Sorry that this idea won’t become reality though

Whisker
Whisker
1 month ago

What a great idea from Italy. Only the cuisine is better. It would have been great to have non-returning acts on the 2021 stage, they’ve earned their spot in 2020. It would have been great to have VAL there. 

Coco
Coco
1 month ago
Reply to  Whisker

This is how I think too. They are already artists of 2020. If they will be back in another year, doesn’t change that they belong to 2020.

MaelleForFra
MaelleForFra
1 month ago

The fact that nine of the eleven acts that didn’t get reselected I liked but all acts that I couldn’t stand got reselected ey.

Eme
Eme
1 month ago
Reply to  MaelleForFra

Feel you 100%

Azaad
Azaad
1 month ago
Reply to  MaelleForFra

I’m going to hazard a guess and say Tom and Sandro are the two of the eleven you didn’t like.

Grft
Grft
1 month ago

Im glad the EBU refused, it’s time to move on… we already had Europe Shine a Light last year. Plus the random viewer would have been really confused.

Dave
Dave
1 month ago
Reply to  Grft

Yeah, we’ve already had a show to pay tribute to the acts who didn’t make it and bringing it up again is just boring. We are watching esc to forget about Covid and have a good time, not to remember all of its consequences

Erik
Erik
1 month ago
Reply to  Grft

Shine a light was not a show worthy the artists of 2020. I find the idea about some of them entering the 2021 stage really appealing. I’d prefer this

Last edited 1 month ago by Erik
James
James
1 month ago
Reply to  Erik

What is worthy?

Naomi
Naomi
1 month ago
Reply to  Erik

Entitled much

PP77
PP77
1 month ago

EBU must put Memories moment in final in future ( Memories on pass away singers, composers, lyricist, conductors…who pass away between 2 ESC contest ) like we had in Oscar ceremonies for actors,actress, director, producer…

Piet
Piet
1 month ago

Sympathetic idea but the Dutch organisers must already have arranged the acts for the intervals. So it’s too late for that I guess.

sam
sam
1 month ago

they should just do it anyways. EBU has no backbone and wont do much of anything if a country breaks the rules… ukraine and armenia know that pretty well

sam
sam
1 month ago
Reply to  sam

this is a rule that must be broken!

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
1 month ago
Reply to  sam

You expect all former acts to individually book flight tickets and perform a stage storm? Neat thinking

Joe
Joe
1 month ago

I think it’s a well-intentioned idea, for sure, but then it leads to all kinds of drama considering how many 2020 acts ARE back and possible tensions with the delegations (it feels pretty much guaranteed BTRC wouldn’t be happy with VAL being there, for instance). Also, it borderline closes the door on them potentially coming back NEXT year (Ulrikke, for instance, seems to be hinting at an MGP return for 2022).

Coco
Coco
1 month ago
Reply to  Joe

So what? They belong to 2020 and they have the right to be returning artists in 2022 or in 2028 if they want to.

Joe
Joe
1 month ago
Reply to  Coco

Not saying they COULDN’T. Just saying, they would be more likely to be passed over with the justification of, “Well, technically, now they HAVE done Eurovision, so we don’t owe them anything.”

Coco
Coco
1 month ago
Reply to  Joe

But is not that easy, because we live unique times.