Roxen Amnesia Romania Eurovision 2021

The track landed just after midnight on Thursday. And after a morning of speculation, Romania’s Roxen has now confirmed that “Amnesia” is indeed her song for Eurovision 2021.

Roxen will sing “Amnesia” at Eurovision 2021

Speaking to Eurovision.tv, the “Alcohol You” popstar says:

“The last year was a bit of a rollercoaster, filled with really good moments and some low points also. In the end, what kept me going the most was that I had some really great projects. Amnesia somehow manages to give a voice to all repressed feelings and to the people whose voices haven’t been heard, in a way that for me is incredibly pure. I would like to thank everyone who has been by my side all this time and has offered me all the support that I needed. ROXEN is made up of pieces from each and everyone of you.”

“Amnesia” features her famous raspy tones, with a slice of modern and stunning energy. The vocals fit perfectly with the tone of the song. Roxen’s youthful sound also contributes beautifully to the modern vibe of the song. Fans of her 2020 entry will certainly love “Amnesia” despite its differences.

As with “Alcohol You”, there is the same vulnerability and delicate nature to “Amnesia”. Both songs are extremely personal with their lyrics and brutal at times. The gentle sound to Roxen’s voice compliments the subject matter stunningly on both, with “Amnesia” providing a sensitive yet powerful moment once more.

Roxen “Amnesia” music video

TVR’s official Eurovision portal explains the meaning behind the “Amnesia” music video which premiered on Thursday afternoon. It tells the story “of a single girl, who struggles with her inner self, with the states that are controlled by her external environment. Although she is constantly surrounded by fears, which have control over her, the artist manages to get rid of them, regains control and becomes increasingly strong and confident in her strengths”.

“In the clip, we tried to convey the message of the song as well as possible and to take into account the fact that it is a personal one for Roxen. I am happy every time we work together and especially that we have resumed work for Eurovision. We really like what came out and we hope you do too “, says the clip’s director Bogdan Păun.

“The year 2020 was so complicated for all of us that many of us would like to forget it, locked somewhere in a corner of our mind. “Amnesia” is a powerful song, with a message to match, and it fits Roxen perfectly. We are severely affected by these times, no matter how much we hide these things. I think the song has a huge potential, it’s the kind you can like or not, but you can’t forget. For us, there is a very busy period, with filming for Romania’s postcard and live-on-tape, the meeting of the heads of delegations and the preparation of the show “, says Liana Stanciu, Romania’s Head of Delegation.

Roxen will tell fans more about the song and the team behind it on TVR 1’s Romania 9 at 20:00 CET.

What do you think of “Amnesia”? How does it compare to “Alcohol You”? Let us know below.

Follow all of our Romania Eurovision 2021 news.

Richard
Richard
1 month ago

What does ‘self-love amnesia’ actually mean, I can only speculate, and most of the lyrics were lost in production, but despite it all I found myself really drawn into this song and Roxen’s fabulous, slightly smoky voice. This is sure to do well, the video is fabulous and if she can produce the same kind of magic on stage who knows what might happen.

Doraemon
Doraemon
1 month ago

I have seen a lot of people hate on this on wiwibloggs (which is completely fine, you do you) but I disagree. I feel like this is a great song with great meaning and great tune. Overall in my top 3 so far. I love how it talks about an issue which almost everyone faces, self love. It has memorable lyrics which I feel are being ignored. I can see why some people might not like this but I love it. Also please don’t compare her to billie and victoria because it can really hurt her. Just because artist sound… Read more »

Mr X
Mr X

Better than last year, 6/10

Daniil
Daniil

I cried

Jen
Jen
1 month ago

It’s a nice song, but somehow I need to hear it performed live, as how i remember, she struggled with her vocals in Romanian selections last year.. So I wonder how it is going to be for Roxen with this song, as it has challenging moments in it.

Honesty
Honesty

Such a bop. Roxen slays!

Leenchen
Leenchen
1 month ago

In my opinion this is way better than Alcohol You! I really love this actually!

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
1 month ago

i think this is very catchy, but not better than roxen’s other songs. it just needed an extra punch !

1 month ago

The modern production works well, and I particularly like the rising beat at the start of the third minute. Lovely clash-note harmony throughout – this is really becoming a staple of Roxen’s songs. I can’t wait for an acoustic piano version of this song. I adore the music in “Alcohol You” and it sounds like the same will be true for “Amnesia.” Perhaps the only issue with “Amnesia” is that there is no memorable musical hook to identify it with – but that also might be the entire point of the song. 🙂

Chris
Chris
1 month ago

Reaction to videoclip when?

Max
Max
1 month ago

I hated Alcohol you but this is one of my favorites so far

1 month ago

I really, really like this.
I feel as if a big part of the last two years of Eurovision has been the discovery of Roxen. She’s clearly a huge star in the making.

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
1 month ago

this is a step down for me. i feel like i’ve heard songs like this one a thousand times before

karworld
karworld
1 month ago

Well, I’m starting to realise I kind of prefer ballads to the similar pop songs we are getting from most countries! I like this piece and goes directly to my top 5 together with France, Spain, Ireland and Albania. Good luck!

1 month ago

not a huge fan, but I kinda like it.

Mateea
Mateea
Reply to  Jo.

I feel exactly the same! Let’s hope that she does well in Rotterdam.

Elliot
Elliot
1 month ago

Personally, I love the song and I don’t see why it’s gotten so much hate. It does need a bigger moment at the end however to give it a final lift, so I hope they revamp like Alcohol You last year when they changed it to give her a bigger vocal moment. Alcohol You showed she can sing a D5 so this year she should aim for an Eb5 considering Amnesia is in Eb and this would be the big moment the song needs to possibly get into the top 5 or even better.

Leo
Leo
1 month ago

I’m not feeling this. Feels like any song you would hear hundreds of times on the radio. That’s not a bad thing but not sure if this will stand out in a tough semi-final

Last edited 1 month ago by Leo
poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
Reply to  Leo

I liked every single one of the songs she offered last year but as for this one…i kind of just wished the song would be over while listening to it. It sounds like 50% of the female-sang songs on the radio at the moment

Monika
Monika
1 month ago

AlcoholYou was a masterpiece. Sorry, Romania… No final again this year. Take example of your sister, Moldova and send a BOP and you’ll do it great!

Stan
Stan
1 month ago

I like it! It’s a nice song, but nothing special. Good luck!

gilpgilpgilp
gilpgilpgilp
1 month ago

Alcohol You was top 10. This might not qualify.

Matt
Matt
1 month ago

I don’t like this… at all.

Bella
Bella
1 month ago

I never really like Romania’s songs (mostly because they’ve sent mostly joke entries) but this is SO GOOD! Really like it, straight to my top bucket along with Ukraine so far.

Dalth
Dalth
1 month ago

I really like the song and will probably get a good result for Romania. However there was a lot of autotune so god knows how this will sound live.

Anhel
Anhel

I like it better than Alcohol You

Kalla
Kalla
1 month ago

First listen and I like it. Maybe would of been nice if she did something a bit more upbeat this year. Towards the end of the song, I could hear a strong dark club beat coming through. I was getting excited the song was going somewhere, but it never quite happened. Still good effort and will at the very least qualify for the final. Not to sure why she has been styled to look like Billie Eilish’s twin though!

Benny Hill

The comment I saw on Instagram under this song:

‘So many meh songs this year. It might be the most boring edition ever. Thinking of not watching it altogether. Last year it had to be cancelled. This year it should be cancelled.’

Not agreeing with it, but it makes you think.

It’s sweet that James Newman commented though. 🙂

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Benny Hill

James seems like a sweetheart from the little I know about him.

OberonYronwood
OberonYronwood
1 month ago

I personally love this: great modern pop song with amazingly raw lyrics plus Roxen’s voice is such a delight.

Well done Romania!

XCF
XCF
1 month ago

It’s a nice music video. Stylewise she is saying goodbye to those “Billie Eilish 2.0” statements and becaming just herself. It’s truly a Roxen from Romania, song is nice but I want to know how it sounds live. Other than that I do think this could do well, just needs a good staging to make it stand out even more!

1 month ago

Well, I think this is great.

Denis
Denis
1 month ago

Roxen should not worry, this will do well! To early to say if it could win but good!
Personally I don’t think it is as immediate as Alcohol Yoy, it needs time to grow, but still a really good modern song!

dygh
dygh
1 month ago

I absolutely love this! I could immediatly hear this playing on the radio and I would keep listening.

Jamie
Jamie
1 month ago

Alcohol You was my Top 3 last year. Amnesia is not as impactful to be honest, but it will make it to top 10 for sure. Unless she really sucks live, hearing how much autotune was used in this song.

McRoro2003
McRoro2003
Reply to  Jamie

I also thought the autotune was too much, but we know that she can deliver a good vocal performance.
I think the staging will be the key for Roxen to get a good result. If it flops then we might see another non-qualification from Romania, even if the song is good.
Fingers crossed for Roxen tho!

Reply to  McRoro2003

The autotune on this track is so pointless, it’s probably the only thing I would change on it. Roxen’s voice is beautiful, the more raw it sounds, the best to my ears.

Stephanie
Stephanie
1 month ago

Alcohol you was last year one of my favorites songs. And I must admit I like this even… MORE. I had until now two favorite entries, this makes number three. So thank you Romania !

Kosey
Kosey
1 month ago

This doesn’t have the same dramatic intensity as Alcohol You but it is still a very pleasing effort. Romania was my second last year, I don’t think it will get that high this year but I think it will probably make top 10. I really love the emotional content in Roxen’s efforts.

1 month ago

After a good night of sleep, it already grew a lot on me. I really like it. And the video is awesome, it surely helps getting me in the mood (could they repeat with staging?). It’s impressive how much Roxen improved her body language and how she connects with a camera. I hope this means her live vocals are also better now. The song is not very original in terms of indie-pop, but it fits her like a glove. I’m sensing some division on if she has enunciaton problems or if her accent is charming and I believe it’s a… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by Sabrina
cipolino
cipolino
1 month ago

My number one so far, it just that good.

Sorry if you don’t agree ’cause I’m always right.

Last edited 1 month ago by cipolino
GojoSatoru
GojoSatoru
Reply to  cipolino

I would’ve liked your comment if you didn’t add “sorry if you don’t agree cause I’m always right”.

1 month ago

I’ve watched the video of “Amnesia” a few times. Positives: the song is very well done/produced. It sounds original. However, it does not grab me. I do respect the effort though. I will support the song 1000%. Whether it will grow on me or not, I want it to do very well. I do wish Romania the best of the best in 2021. 🙂

ESC8
ESC8
1 month ago

I’m actually glad that this is it because it is a song that I like more than their 2020 entry and I’m glad when countries improve their act from year to year. It is one of the best entries not only from the semi 1 but in general as well (imo) so far at least and unlike ‘Alcohol You’ I believe that it won’t be to hard to make it to the final (Yes I was not fan of their 2020 song tbh).
Good luck Romania!

Last edited 1 month ago by ESC8
Berco
Berco
1 month ago

It’s a little less exciting compared to last year’s potential songs. But who knows maybe it is a slow grower. I am curious about the autotune-like vocals, can she success them live? Well, I hope she is planning for a great performance. Well done Roxen.

1 month ago

It’s dreamy and introspective, something we know Roxen does well. I feel this is a grower, as the content is something to dwell upon. I am happy we got another quality song from Romania. 🙂

Miss Uncongeniality
Miss Uncongeniality
1 month ago

I totally love this song… and i was not a fan of Alcohol You (even wen I’m fan of Vodka), so don’t understand all the critics

Nobody Important
Nobody Important
1 month ago

Really REALLY underwhelming. I wasn’t the biggest fan of Alcohol You, but this songs makes me like it way more. Roxen has SO MUCH potential and this is the best that they can come up with? -__-

NickC
NickC
1 month ago

I just find it sad that we have come from “cherry red” to….this.

Tom
Tom
Reply to  NickC

It’s quite bad actually. She is having a potential but her songwriters are poor.

Jamie
Jamie
Reply to  Tom

Her songwriters are not bad if they wrote Alcohol You and Cherry Red. I think they just ran out of ideas this year.

1 month ago

I was so ready for a meh entry but THIS IS GREAT! I love the song! Roxen looks so confident and gorgeous. The choreo and the dancers are amazing. The video is so good. Wow. Best of luck in R’dam and with the preparations and all of that. I’m so impressed!

Ravencrow Neversmiles
Ravencrow Neversmiles
1 month ago

I always like the lyrics in her songs. I think this will be better live because the studio version has some weird effect on her vocals in the chorus. This goes somewhere in the middle of my ranking for now.

Jamie
Jamie
1 month ago

Yeah, autotune. It’s on every song of hers.

Ravencrow Neversmiles
Ravencrow Neversmiles
Reply to  Jamie

Everyone has autotune in their studio versions, but that’s not what I mean. In the chorus she sounds like they recorded her vocal from a phone call. I don’t know the right term but it sounds like some kind of a “telephone effect”. And I don’t think autotune sounds like that.

mawnck
mawnck
1 month ago

That sort of gurgly thing with the pitch? That’s deliberate, and it’s Auto-Tune (or another software that does the same thing).

Ana Banana
Ana Banana
1 month ago

I really like this song! I like it more than Alcohol You. But I am also a sucker for power pop songs about being a “strong” female lol. Like Georgia 2015, Armenia 2019 and 2020

Danny
Danny

A bit underwhelming

Jamie
Jamie
Reply to  Danny

I would like an explosion please.

Esc addict
Esc addict
1 month ago

Good clip, the story of this clip reminds me a little the story of Barbara’s Pravi music video, the song has something, I like the beat after the last chorus, her way to sing is the same as Victoria, competition between them maybe.
Overall it’s a quality entry. With good live and staging it can qualify easily.
Off topic but Switzerland, Uk, Poland, Malta, Armenia, Azerbaidjan what are you doing ?!

Badwoolfgirl
Badwoolfgirl
1 month ago

I like this song. It’s really good.

Darren
Darren
1 month ago

Better than alcohol you, probably will qualify from its semi final, after that I don’t know.
Staging will be crucial here.