On the weekend, Uku Suviste won Estonia’s national final Eesti Laul and will head to Eurovision 2021 in May. Now broadcaster ERR has revealed the full voting figures for Eesti Laul 2021, showing big televote support for Uku — even if the jury was less impressed.

Eesti Laul 2021 – grand final voting

Uku Suviste and his entry “The Lucky One” received 11,393 televotes in the first round of grand final voting. That was almost twice as much as the second favourite in the televote, Koit Toome with 6779 televotes. Third in the jury vote was Jüri Pootsmann with 6193 televotes.

But when the televotes were converted to points and added to the jury points, a different picture emerged.

Televote favourite Uku Suviste, jury favourite Sissi and Jüri Pootsman all ended up tying on scores of 15 points, meaning there was no overall leader going into the superfinal.

It also meant that Koit Toome and Andrei Zevakin & Pluuto both narrowly missed out on the super final, both just one point short on 14 points.

Jury scores Jury points Televotes Televote points Total points Rank
Uku Suviste – “The Lucky One” 44 3 11,393 12 15 1
Jüri Pootsmann – “Magus melanhoolia” 59 7 6193 8 15 2
Sissi – “Time” 73 12 4186 3 15 3
Koit Toome – “We Could Have Been Beautiful” 43 4 6779 10 14 4
Andrei Zevakin & Pluuto – “Wingman” 63 10 4944 4 14 5
Kadri Voorand – “Energy” 44 5 4966 5 10 6
Suured tüdrukud – “Heaven’s Not That Far Tonight” 34 3 5002 6 8 7
Karl Killing – “Kiss Me” 61 8 1678 0 8 8
Redel – “Tartu” 17 0 5160 7 7 9
Hans Nayna – “One By One” 47 6 1754 0 6 10
Ivo Linna, Robert Linna, Supernova – “Ma olen siin” 18 0 2030 2 2 11
Egert Milder – “Free Again” 24 1 1871 1 2 12

Eesti Laul 2021 – superfinal voting

The top three acts from the first round then faced a second vote in the superfinal. But while an international jury vote was involved in the first round, the superfinal was decided solely by televotes from the Estonian public.

Uku Suviste maintained his strong televote support in the superfinal. He picked up 24,081 votes, making an impressive 46.45% of the overall superfinal vote and ensuring victory.

The superfinal was also the time for Sissi to win over televoters. While she had only placed eighth in the televote after the first round of voting, in the superfinal Sissi picked up 14,698 votes — 28.9%.

Jüri Pootsman followed closely behind. In the superfinal he received 12,776 televotes, 24.75% overall.

Televotes Percentage Rank
Uku Suviste – “The Lucky One” 24,081 46.45% 1
Sissi – “Time” 14,698 28.9% 2
Jüri Pootsmann – “Magus melanhoolia” 12,776 24.75% 3

While Uku Suviste could count on strong local televote support, his challenge for Rotterdam will be how to get the juries on his side as well.

What do you think? Are you surprised by the full Eesti Laul voting figures? Will juries at Eurovision feel the same? Sound off in the comments section below!

Read more Estonia Eurovision news here

Nils
Nils

he isn’t much of a singer, is he? or did he just have a bad day?

no matter what … his song sounds dated and boring. even if he sang it perfectly, it wouldn’t matter much. he’s basically bringing a lemon to a knife fight.

sorry, estonia, i still love you (and your dairy products), but this entry won’t do you any favours.

eurana
eurana

At least The televote picked his winner. But, in Portugal…

Héctor
Héctor

What people saw in Uku is over my understanding. Last year he had Kirkorov’s support if I’m not wrong. Could it be the case this year?

To be honest I still don’t get why he won. Also I can’t get over the fact Estonians killed Gram-of-Fun. Anyway, they migh think of ot again when they get stuck in the SF in May.

ESCFan2009
ESCFan2009

So happy for Sissi, although her televote support in round 1 was not really huge. Hope to see her again in the future.

Andi
Andi

The Roop: Yes, we agree, people were kind with us as well ? 🙂
The Mamas: Nice, so there’s hope for us!! 🙂
Ben & Tan: FU DRK!!
Aksel: Am I a joke to you? -.-

Last edited 4 months ago by Andi
Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier

cannot wait for Eesti Laul 2022 when there will be no uku in sight and we can hope that the best song will win

Andi
Andi
Reply to  Ashton Schier

Who says that? 😉

Lollipopmonster ESC
Lollipopmonster ESC

I will never ever forgive Estonia that they kicked Gram-Of-Fun out of the national selection.

knorkator
knorkator

0 points from juries for Redel is just offensive!

raw
raw

Eesti Laul final was also the most watched TV show in Estonia last week.

For all the worries about juries killing Wingman, it ended up being the public that didn’t care for it, whereas the juries tried to prop it up.

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Briekimchi

It’s not that easy. In the semi, the Estonian jury completely snubbed it and gave it zero points. In the final, the international jury supported it – and if 23 more phone calls had been placed in their favour, they would have made it to the superfinal. And who knows what would have happened there.

Last edited 4 months ago by Tibor
Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  Tibor

You make a good point about the 23 votes however I still think we know what would have happened in the final. There is no realistic scenario in which Uku would not have won.

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Kosey

I’m not sure if there really is a way to know that. If I was Estonian, after the elimination of Andrei & Pluuto, I wouldn’t have bothered to pick up the phone, either. The Redel vote surely didn’t go to Jüri or Sissi – or Uku. But it might have gone to Wingman.

Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  Tibor

Good point about the Redel vote, although I am not convinced a sufficient amount of it would have gone to Andrei and Pluuto. Some would have gone to Juri as a more youthful and modern entry and I’m sure some would have gone to Uku. Koit and Wingman were my two favourites but given the choice of the final I would have gone for Uku. I am sure that part of Tartu’s appeal was patriotic (ie, attracted people who have a deep connection to Estonia) and I’m sure at least some of those people would gravitate to Uku as the… Read more »

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Kosey

Well, I don’t really think that the Redel vote was patriotic (neither music nor lyrics are something a more conservative person would gravitate towwards, I think) and I very much doubt that someone who voted for Redel would consider Uku to be the second best option to give Estonia a good result. But like I said, we’ll never know. 🙂

Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  Tibor

We’ll never know, you are right.

Patriotism doesn’t equate to conservatism does it? A left winger can be proud of their country can’t they?

And I only mean patriotic in the sense of the Estonian towns it lists. It reminds me of the KLF, who did a similar thing with northern English towns. Maybe it is not patriotism but perhaps pride, or at least love?

Last edited 4 months ago by Kosey
Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Kosey

I’d say that, in general, patriotism is rather a feature of a conservative mindset, but that is a wide subject. As a more left leaning person, I’d rather say that I’m glad or thankful to live where I live (in a democracy rather than an autocracy, for example), but I would neither use the word “pride” which to my understanding always implies some sort of personal achievement (and being born a citizen of my country is certainly not an achievement), nor would I call it “love”, that doesn’t sit right with me (a famous German politician once said: I don’t… Read more »

Jake
Jake
Reply to  Kosey

If Uku was 1 place lower with jury and Andrei and Pluuto got 23 more televotes, then Uku would be on 14 points in 4th, tight

Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  Jake

Agreed, the juries cut it very fine for Uku. But once he makes the super final, I can’t see any other outcome than him winning. In fact, I’m sure lots of commentators based in Estonia said this all along, and the results have proved them right.

Liisa
Liisa

How is that huge? Getting around 45% of the vote in the superfinal is nothing extraordinary in Eesti Laul. Last year Uku received almost 70% of the vote, Victor Crone received also about 45% of the vote, Nechayeva 70%, Koit&Laura 55%, Jüri Pootsmann 45%, Elina&Stig 78% in the superfinal.
So the winner very often gets more than 45% of the votes in the superfinal.

LaVoixCZ

Apparently, Sissi was the lucky one. Not only she got to the superfinal thanks to the “international jurors” and then she went from just three televoting points to the second place overall beating Jüri.
She would not be even in the semifinal TOP6 qualifiers if there was no second chance televoting round. RIP Gram-of-fun.

kir
kir

“Tartu” is 4th in televoting behind Uku, Juri and Koit. Kind of an achievement tho

Kosey
Kosey

Uku’s jury scores don’t look right? He got the same as Kadri (44) but ended up with 3 points rather than 5?

Regardless, he was clearly the deserved winner – I’m pleased for him and wish him all the best in Rotterdam!

LaVoixCZ
Reply to  Kosey

wiwibloggs error, he got just 42 points.