After a week of teasing, Israel’s Eden Alene has released the revamped version of “Set Me Free”, her song for Eurovision 2021.

Eden Alene’s releases “Set Me Free” revamp

Fundamentally, the overall composition and structure remains similar. However, there are some major changes that won’t go unnoticed.

The new version of “Set Me Free” has a darker, more bass-heavy sound when compared to the funky tones of the original track. This new sound provides a greater contrast between the music itself and Eden’s sweet vocal. She shows off the full extent of her vocal capacity, with flourishes and whistle tones throughout. If Eden can nail her notes on the night, this will surely impress the juries and help see her through to the grand final.

Fans have also noted that this whistle note might be the highest note in Eurovision history. According to Eurovision 2014’s ‘Book Of Records’, the highest note thus far belongs to Maja Blagdan and “Sveta ljubav” (Croatia 1996), which has a Bb5. Estonia’s “La Forza” (2018) and Australia’s “Zero Gravity” (2019) may have both broken the record since the segment was shown, but Eden’s B6 note is higher than any of these songs’ highest reach.

As the song approaches its climax, there is a drum build-up before the final drop of the last chorus. This helps build momentum and makes the track feel more complete.

One of the biggest changes is that the key change in the final chorus has been removed completely. Fans heavily criticised this section of the song, deeming the modulation jarring and unnecessary. This change shows the songwriting team are actively listening to the feedback of Eurovision fans and critics.

The new music video was shot in the Design City complex. Directed by Nimrod Peled, Eurovision.tv explains that “it depicts a dormant universe in which everything is frozen in time. Eden awakens the world with music, filling her surroundings with colour, energy and human connection”.

“Set Me Free” — New Music Video

What do you think of the “Set Me Free” revamp? Will it improve Eden’s chances in Rotterdam? Let us know below.

Additional reporting from Oliver and Lauren.

Read all of our Israel Eurovision 2021 news.

zeev
zeev
18 days ago

now is hot, we can smile finelly

Richy
Richy
18 days ago

WE NEED A WIWI REACTION TO EDEN NEW VIDEO & WHISTLES NOTES ASAPPP XDDD

marron
marron
19 days ago

Eden can do the WHISTLE note… OMG!!

Hannah Whiteing
Hannah Whiteing
20 days ago

This actually gives me winner vibes!

marron
marron
19 days ago

Wait for the LIVE performance… it will be “Fuego Effect”.. top 5 at least… could be a winner for sure!

Mr X
Mr X
20 days ago

Sorry, I don´t like it. There´s no chance against another similar sounding songs like Azerbaijan and San Marino.

Gil
Gil
Reply to  Mr X

This is actually way better. In any aspect

Devilchu
Devilchu
19 days ago
Reply to  Mr X

Are you kidding? Eden is waaaay better than those two. I strongly disagree with your opinion! ;P

As a Swede I suppose I should like ‘Adrenalina’ since it’s written by the Swedish power-couple Joy & Linnea Deb (they also wrote the Swedish entry this year and the winning song by Måns Zelmerlöw in 2015) buuut I don’t. It’s not bad but there are better bops this year. Israel’s song being one of them. 😛

Dearivan
Dearivan
20 days ago

I really liked the original version. What I miss the most is the bit towards the end where there was an instant of silence and then Eden restarted with the refrain. The high notes don’t really add anything for me a part from showcasing her talent. Still good though

Stan
Stan
20 days ago

Good luck girl! I really like it!

marron
marron
20 days ago

I can’t understand it, why the odds won’t change? for me this is eurovision winner! she have the best voice this year, the song is a mix of ballad, pop banger and trap, what not to like? it’s amazing! should be at least top 3.. if not winner! the ending is OUTSTANDING!

Frenanda
Frenanda
Reply to  marron

It’s a known fact that the odds mean nothing before the rehearsal week and even then, we have surprises. I think that the bookies are very influenced by the eurofans, and the eurofans are not very objective. the current trend in the eurofan community is to spotlight “deserving nations” (aka, nations that really want to win and never won), and not winning material. Let’s wait till may. I’m sure that when Eden performs the reaction will be just like Fuego – a meh song in the studio version, but live on stage it explodes. (as a side not, while not… Read more »

Last edited 20 days ago by Frenanda
tomtomtom
tomtomtom
Reply to  marron

If you read the odds, the difference between #9 and #25 is basically nothing. 1 or 2%.

zeev
zeev
18 days ago
Reply to  marron

agree must be in the top 10 at least

Yehuda from ??
Yehuda from ??
10 days ago
Reply to  marron

For one Not all Eurovision fans are aware of the revamp and still judging it according to the old version. Secondly wait for the real show. That’s when the magic happens.

willchrisiam
willchrisiam
21 days ago

I always liked the dong but now I love it. The arrangement sounds exactly like what I made myself hear was coming out of my headphones whenever I was listening to the song. I just wish that 3 rewamps later we’d finally find out what her beating heart was in perfect harmony with but oh, well! I’m kidding but also not.

Daniel Kaplan
Daniel Kaplan
21 days ago

The song definitely needed changes and these are exactly what kind of changes were needed. Excited to be proud of Israel’s entry now

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
21 days ago

I’m not so sure about the changes to the “imma make it on my own” parts or the other melodical changes to the lyrics personally, but I will say that the instrumental undeniably got a lot better.

This sounds more like a remix of the original to me almost rather than a revamp.

marron
marron
21 days ago

The clip is WAY BETTER, her voice is AMAZING! everything is better in the revamp, her stayling, the voice, everything in harmony.. and the ending.. OMG I’ve died!! BRUH.. she could win…

21 days ago

it improved, but she still deserves a far better song

Charli Cheer Up
Charli Cheer Up
21 days ago

The music video’s production was stellar but not really feeling this revamp. Its a hot mess. I agree with the comments below about it being ‘overproduced’. Imo there was really no need to revamp the song in the first place. They should’ve focused their time on a creative staging for Eden instead..

Badwoolfgirl
Badwoolfgirl
21 days ago

Revamps can be very hit or miss, but Israel definitely made a well deserved revamp. It’s definitely better than the original, and I hope Eden has a better chance to qualify. That said, Israel is still one of my borderline qualifiers so it really depends on the quality of the live performance, so we’ll wait and see. Good luck Eden, and I wish you an early Passover.

Ffs
Ffs

I Love It

21 days ago

You know what… This is my favourite Eurovision revamp to date! Both the musical differences and the video are great. Bravo to everyone who worked on this. I liked the original too, and since it came out first, two versions of this song now book-end my playlist! 🙂

Dida
Dida
21 days ago

Revamp of the revamp of the revamp. Borderline qualifier anyway…

EurofanSF
EurofanSF
Reply to  Dida

Sailing through to the final

Euro2018
Euro2018
21 days ago

Woww! This went from borderline qualifier to contender! If she hits the high notes this is top 5!

Dan Arthy
Dan Arthy
Reply to  Euro2018

Top 3 at least

Erik
Erik
Reply to  Dan Arthy

yes. top 3 if you start from the bottom

Regin
Regin
21 days ago

I don’t really know what i think about this. I don’t think the song needed a revamp. I like it because it sounds more modern but sometimes it sounds like there is two songs playing at the same time. It sound a bit messier especially the chorus.

I don’t like it.

EurofanSF
EurofanSF
Reply to  Whisker

To really get the song you have to listen with the volume cranked up.

21 days ago

I preferred the “oh-oh” to the “I’m-I’m”, but the rest of the track flows better now. Making it darker was probably a good choice too, since her direct competition is more in the poppy side. Not a fan of how they used the whistles, but it can be impressive if she nails. The truth is that Eden and the production have never been a problem in “Set Me Free”, they were always the strenghts. What’s weak is the core material they had to work with and I still think the song itself is below Eden and the Israeli delegation’s skill… Read more »

Last edited 21 days ago by Sabrina
Gil
Gil
Reply to  Sabrina

It is a good dong and a grower, its way underrated, there are much worst songs placed higher in the odds

Reply to  Gil

Unfortunately, Israel is right there with Sweden for me this year: love the performer, but the song does nothing for me. It’s uncomfortable, because “Feker Libi” was one of my favorites last year.

Reply to  Sabrina

Ooo. We are in disagreement for a change. This might happen more than usual in 2021.

Last edited 21 days ago by Purple Mask
Reply to  Purple Mask

In the worst case scenario, we’re already in the same side with “Voilà”, “Amnesia” and “Tout l’univers”, which are some of my favorite entries. And it’s not that I dislike this one, it’s more that I feel underwhelmed and that Eden deserved better material to show her talents.

marron
marron
21 days ago

With the right staging & if she can sing it perfect live… it could WIN..

tomtomtom
tomtomtom
Reply to  marron

Yep! It could be a contender for sure.

Gil
Gil
Reply to  marron

Dont know about winning, but top 10 is definitely reachable

Last edited 21 days ago by Gil
Euro2018
Euro2018
Reply to  marron

Agree! It could win! It’s neck and neck with the other top ones.

Reply to  marron

I actually agree. This could be a contender. 2021 is so unpredictable.

Bella
Bella

Nice Video Clip!
The revamp is sure better but still it needs a great live performance.
Fast camera angles, new movements and Eden must wear a jumpsuit, so can dance better and with more confidence.
Eden for the final!

tomtomtom
tomtomtom
21 days ago

Welcome to the final Eden! With the right staging, this could easily be a top 15. And this song lends itself to amazing staging.

People seem to forget the importance of staging. Remember Cyprus 2018 which was way down in the odds until the staging? Remember Belgium 2019 which was way up in the odds before the staging?

Last edited 21 days ago by tomtomtom
Jodenstone
Jodenstone
21 days ago

I feel like they did everything they could with this revamp, it just isn’t that great of a song to work with in the first place (for me).

Whistle notes are the most surprising part and could be a calculated risk to make her stand out more and grab attention from juries/tele. Bold choice but why not?

Leo M
Leo M
21 days ago

Not much in the difference, seems a bit over-produced in the revamp though. Still catchy, but its in the tough semi, and there are better songs than this

LawProf
LawProf
21 days ago

THIS IS HOW YOU REVAMP!!!

Israel has done it again. What a massive improvement, both in terms of the quality of the video and in terms of the changes to the chorus and ending. It is a definite qualifier for me at this point and might even make top 15 in the final, if the live show is as strong.

chipo clu
chipo clu
21 days ago

I just think Eden should have written her own songs for the competition. She made bangers last year, but now she is revamping things in a hurry, made obscure selection processes, and launching snippets like is no tomorrow. She is really talented. In 2019 she proves it, but now it feels like she is desperate because the submitted song this year were bad at the beginning, not fitting her expectations and talent, there is nothing to do. She knows she is better than the circus her national selection was.

Jamie
Jamie
21 days ago

I like it. The production sounds way better and crispier. Don’t like the chorus though, they should’ve revamped it with the rest of the song.

ESCalator
ESCalator
21 days ago

Whistle is always risky for live performances. I wonder if she’ll perform it, or use a backup singer who specializes in the whistle register…

zeev
zeev
18 days ago
Reply to  ESCalator

she did it you can see in the you tube and the instrgram
if she will do it, on stage will see. i hope so.

Azaad
Azaad
21 days ago

The production sounds more crisp…but this is now structurally messier.

Jeroen
Jeroen
21 days ago

The original version of set me free has been deleted from her Spotify. Sorry that goes too far.
Why would you delete a song with 700.000 streams? Just delete la la love while you’re at it.

Last edited 21 days ago by Jeroen
Mircs
Mircs
21 days ago

Quite surprised by this revamp. It sounds like a remix but not bad at all, it’s very poppy and danceable while they put in these ‘I’m a, I’m a’-sounds which makes it more sensual and feminin. At some points I have a feeling that it sounds too overproduced and Eden’s voice got too distorted which distracted me at first. On the other hand this will be solved when she’s on stage. But these high notes at the end – wow! I’m sad that they took off the sassy-tune it had but overall glad about the revamp. They’ve done a good… Read more »

ESCFan2009
ESCFan2009
21 days ago

Very good and modern revamp! Reminds me of Ariana Grande and that’s a compliment 😀 2021, current, fitting the international market, sassy ^^

Last edited 21 days ago by ESCFan2009
...
...
21 days ago

I love it!! Well done, Israel!!

Matt Church
Matt Church
21 days ago

I prefer this version…. they allowed her to be a little more sassy. That could work with the live show

lol
lol
21 days ago

it’s very clear she’s a lot more comfortable with this version… all the haters in the comments but why make her sing a song she dosent like? plus the revamp is amazing

Stef
Stef
21 days ago

It will never be UeLala or Feker Libi or Rakata…it is better than the previous version but still it’s a borderline qualifier! If it qualifies then it will end up 15-26 on the Grand Final!

EscIL
EscIL
Reply to  Stef

If only there are 14 or 25 better songs this year…..

Last edited 21 days ago by EscIL
Not good
Not good
21 days ago

I don’t think this needed a revamp, but I still would like to see Eden in the final.

JORDAN
JORDAN
21 days ago

1000% better! I’m so proud of Eden! I was really upset about all of the potential songs initially. Feker libi was so unique and amazing, I felt like all of the others didn’t do her justice. This revamp is sooo much better, it feels like Eden. It’s fresh, Middle Eastern and so much fun. Her charisma (uniqueness, nerve and talent ?) comes through at every point in this song and I can’t wait to see it on the stage in May!! ??????????????

Last edited 21 days ago by JORDAN
REUS
REUS
21 days ago

I haven’t heard the original “Set me free” except for a snippet on Eden’s Instagram back a few months ago. I didn’t care for listening to the full song as I found the snippet lacklustre. BUT THIS REVAMP CHANGED THE GAME! Let me tell you, as someone listening to this song for the first time in full, it’s amazing! Some of y’all might be pressed about minor changes in the revamp as the original version was on your playlist, but people in May will only hear this revamp and that’s what matters. I think Eden could potentially come top 10!… Read more »

RennyWest
RennyWest
21 days ago

Goodbye, key change! You won’t be missed!
However that’s the only positive I have about this revamp – not that I hate it. I feel indifferent about it.

London Boy
London Boy
21 days ago

Mixed feelings about it. In parts it sounds like they are two different songs mixed up. She had amazing voice and talent and surely this will be top 15-20

Jake
Jake
21 days ago

It seems like they decided to pull back on some of the rawness, the hard-hitting edge and whatever touch of ethnic music for a more radio-ready pop sound. I can see what they tried to do there but ultimately not sure it dynamically changes the song. The essence is still there. She’s talented. The songs best asset besides her is the earworm hook—set me free—I could be enough to see her through the final. It’ll come down to staging.

Stian F
Stian F
21 days ago

I really like this song. Good version. Feels more contemporary and a little bit less eurovisiony.

Escfan
Escfan
21 days ago

Personally, I really like this version, it feels much more cohesive and less jarring than the previous revamp (in terms of composition). I thought in the other revamp the verses were decent but a little bit empty and the chorus really didn’t work for me because it slowed down but for me, it was a bit jarring. In terms of this version, I immediately noticed that the “oh oh oh oh” wasn’t as noticeable which I appreciated because that sounded cheap and a bit lazy in the other version. I do agree that parts of this song is quite messy… Read more »

ESCdutch
ESCdutch
21 days ago

the song is now amazing love it

Liberio
Liberio
21 days ago

why they deleted her video?

EscIL
EscIL
Reply to  Liberio

it was not well synchronized. They fixed it right away

Jeroen
Jeroen
21 days ago

I loved the old version and for me the revamp is a downgrade..

In my opinion this was the most underrated song of this year and it would have easily qualified. She will still easily qualify though but a revamp wasn’t needed for that.

21 days ago

Honestly, this feels like telling a student that they need to re-do their homework for a lot of grammar mistakes, and they come back with a different sentence structure and just as much of grammar mistakes. The messiness of this song has always lied in the fact that some lyrics contradict each other and I’m not sure if the revamp managed to fix that. I am also somewhat thrown aback with all the rhythm changes they’ve made. I have to acknowledge how hardworking the Israeli team has been, but it all could’ve been avoided with a better selection process to… Read more »

Last edited 21 days ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

Ahaha! Okay… well, that’s interesting. I don’t agree on this occasion. Sorry.

Reply to  Purple Mask

No need to be sorry. Tastes differ. 🙂 And much like Sabrina, I don’t *dislike* it, but I do think there are some quite messy parts in it.