Eurovision 2021 Nordic Acts

Historically, the five Nordic nations — Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark and Iceland, have often been considered a powerhouse group when it comes to Eurovision. Between them, they have bagged 13 victories. Iceland remains the only Nordic nation without a Eurovision victory under their belt. That duck was arguably on the line last year with Daði Freyr being one of the hot favourites with “Think About Things”. He is back again of course this year with an ode to his wife “10 Years” but is this the best Nordic entry this year?

The Nordics at Eurovision 2021 are offering fans an eclectic smorgasbord of songs to enjoy – from pop, violent pop, nu-disco and more. But which entry is you favourite? Here is a reminder of all five Nordic tracks for this year’s contest and let us know in the poll below. As always, you can vote for as many acts as you want, but you can only vote once.

Eurovision 2021 – Nordic entries

Denmark: Fyr & Flamme – “Øve os på hinanden”

Fyr & Flamme won Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2021 after beating seven other entries in a vote decided wholly by the public. The duo consisting of Jesper Groth and Laurits Emanuel released their debut single “Menneskeforbruger” in 2020. They released “Kamæleon” soon after, setting their brand as firmly retro, synthy, colourful and danceable. “Øve Os På Hinanden” (Practice On Each Other) is a self-composed dance number about inviting your love to dance, forgetting our own internal insecurities and just enjoying the rhythm of the music. It’s not about being an expert dancer, it’s all about letting go.

Finland: Blind Channel – “Dark Side”

Blind Channel won Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu 2021 beating six worthy opponents in one of the best-staged editions of UMK ever. The violent-pop group finished first with both the international jury and the televoters. “Dark Side” is an anarchic anthem to parties in the dark, so say Blind Channel before adding that it perfectly condenses the core of the group. “We want to show that even if life is darker and harsher, you can still have fun. This song is for all those who feel outward and inadequate, who have sometimes made up their minds to raise the middle finger and shout.

Iceland: Daði Freyr – “10 Years”

“10 Years” was revealed on a special episode of RÚV’s Straumar, which was solely dedicated to Daði and the gang.  Just like its predecessor, “10 Years” is a disco banger, packed with warm and light-hearted humour. But it has a deeper meaning, diving into Daði’s relationship with his wife, mother of his child and fellow Gagnamagnið member, Árný Fjóla Ásmundsdóttir. As the title says, the couple has been together for ten years.

Norway: TIX – “Fallen Angel”

After five semi-finals, a second chance round, and a 2.5-hour grand final of Melodi Grand Prix 2021 it was TIX who came out on top with his winning track “Fallen Angel”. The track is written by TIX himself and is a synthpop ballad about unrequited love. It uses biblical imagery to convey the idea of a crush that one can never have because they believe they can’t match up. “How could she ever love someone like me? She’s out of reach”. He describes himself as the “fallen angel” and “there’s no way I’ll ever reach up to Heaven to you”.

Sweden: Tusse – “Voices”

Tusse won Melodifestivalen 2021 with “Voices” after a landslide victory, beating second-placed Eric Saade by 57 points. “Voices” is an electro-pop song, with a slightly dark feel to it. The chorus frequently mentions the lyrics “a million voices” — a phrase that did especially well for Russian singer Polina Gagarina at Eurovision 2015. The “Voices” lyrics are about unity, hope, perseverance and freedom.

Poll: What is your favourite Nordic entry at Eurovision 2021?

Who did you vote for? Which Eurovision 2021 songs from the Nordic region were your favourite? Let us know in the comments below!

Vote in more Eurovision 2021 polls.

Teddie

Damn, if I ever was completely wrong about a song, it’s this year’s Denmark. At first I saw it as an unsuccessful attempt at retro camp, however later on I heard the studio version and man! It’s just a fun little groovy track that simply makes me happy, and that’s all I want from Eurovision.

Leendert Jan
Leendert Jan

I never thought I would say this, because they’re more often than not my least favourite Nordic entry, but this year it’s gotta be Denmark. I just love their enthusiasm and it always makes me want to sing along.

Last edited 6 months ago by Leendert Jan

Finland. Surprisingly I have discovered a very good song hidden under all that metal. 🙂
Iceland is next, with the personal anniversary celebration. Sweden and Norway are very close; I just prefer Norway because I like the Chorus more.

Bart
Bart

Of course… pff…

L’oiseau
L’oiseau

Not much to choose from this year except for Iceland and Denmark. I am going for Denmark for the homage to their own ESC legacy and national language

Fabrizio
Fabrizio

Well, this is hard…

1-Norway: fill me with dislikes but atm is my favorite of this region. Like the voice and the song works for me, even being a simple one. I have some doubts about his dressing but hey, this is a Song Contest (8/10)

2-Iceland (8/10)

3-Finland (not a great fan of rock but I love this) (7/10)

4-Sweden (6/10)

5-Denmark (growing on me, love that it’s in danish) (6/10)

There were better years for the nordic countries, but these songs are good!

shane
shane

Iceland is the only one I particularly like from the usually strong Scandinavia.

Mr X
Mr X

Finland 8/10
Denmark 6/10
Iceland 5/10
Sweden 5/10
Norway 2/10

Mr X
Mr X

I like Denmark too…

Joe Lestingi
Joe Lestingi

My top:
1. Denmark
(I’m the very few that love this)
2. Sweden

2. Finland
3. Iceland
4. Denmark
5. Norway

Jay
Jay

Since I only like Denmark from the Nordics this year, I vote for them. I know they will not qualify, but it’s fun!

Vicky
Vicky

1. Finland
2. Iceland
3. Norway
4. Denmark
5. Sweden

Ivar
Ivar
  1. Finland 2. Norway 3. Iceland 4. Sweden 5. Denmark
Leendert Jan
Leendert Jan
Reply to  Ivar

Haha, exactly my list in reverse order 😉

Ivar
Ivar
Reply to  Leendert Jan

Haha. Cool 🙂

Last edited 6 months ago by Ivar
Rebekka
Rebekka

1 Iceland
2 Finland
3 Denmark
4 Sweden
5 Norway

ESC 2021

Iceland its the same as last year. I dident like it then, and dont like it this year. I hope Iceland gonna win soon, but not this year. GO SWEDEN

Escolwen
Escolwen

I think it’s a really strong year for the Nordic countries this year! My order is: 1. Iceland (my total winner, so much fun, really clever, inclusive, and Dadi is so cool) 2. Denmark (I know it’ll be a tough one to qualify but it’s really feel good and I personally love listening to this. Also love a song in Danish, don’t see that very often!) 3. Norway (I don’t really understand the costume like the sunglasses or when he holds up the dice, but he has gorgeous vocals and I find myself repeating this song a lot) 4. Sweden… Read more »

Last edited 6 months ago by Escolwen
Miss Uncongeniality
Miss Uncongeniality

Sincerely, the nordic group tends to be my favorite geographical group at Eurovision. But this year I don’t really like aby songs from this group. It’s the first time this happens for me, so it’s quite disappointing

Mark
Mark

Listen to Denmark and try not to smile

Ieva
Ieva
  1. Iceland
  2. Finland
  3. Denmark
  4. Sweden
  5. Norway
Davidinho
Davidinho

My favorite is Dadi, Blind Channel are good, Tusse is OK.

Doris
Doris

Denmark!

zach
zach
  1. finland
  2. sweden
  3. iceland
  4. norway
  5. denmark

But the top 3 are all good!

Iván el Conquistador
Iván el Conquistador

It surprises me to see Finland on top.

Sally
Sally

Finland does tend to be either ‘completely brilliant’ or ‘completely awful’ with no in between. But at least they take chances. And this year they got it right.

Luke A
Luke A

1. Iceland, My winner this year
2. Finland, Grown on me so much
3. Sweden
4. Denmark
5. Norway, Sorry not a fan without the staging the song is just basic

Dawid
Dawid

Sweden is actually last one xd And I don’t hate it. Nordics are strong this year.

For me it:

1. Iceland.
  2. Norway
  3. Finland
  4. Denmark
  5. Sweden

I enjoy all Nordic and Scandinavian entries this year. My ranking:

1 ICELAND
2 Denmark
3 Norway
4 Finland

Michael
Michael

I luuuuv Norway song so much I had to make my first comment ever on this site after being a long time reader =) Hi!

lasse braun
lasse braun

Latvia & Lithuaniua of course. 😀

Vytautas
Vytautas
  1. Finland (in my top 7th)
  2. Iceland (in my top 9th)
  3. Norway (in my top 14th)
  4. Sweden (in my top 15th)
  5. Denmark (in my top 34th)
Kosey
Kosey

The Nordic countries are really bringing it this year – I voted for Finland, Norway and Denmark but Sweden and Iceland are also in the top half of my list.

Darren
Darren

Unpopular opinion on here, but I can’t deny, Sweden is the strongest Nordic this year, for me anyway. Iceland following behind, then Finland, Denmark and Norway in last place (massive distance behind Denmark). Tix is overrated beyond comprehension. Average song, ridiculous staging. If it was any other country, it would be called a joke, but because it’s Norway, it’s some kind of art. Croatia even tried this not so long ago, similar song and the angel wings staging and they were laughed out of it. But I guess that says more about Eurofans then it does about Norway’s entry this… Read more »

Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  Darren

If you don’t like downvotes, why would you post something so provocative? It seems like you are encouraging it?

Darren
Darren
Reply to  Kosey

It’s not provocative it’s my honest genuine opinion, which never seems to align with the fandom.
But downvoting seems to be the thing for people who don’t agree, so I was just letting the fans know that I’m prepared for an onslaught of downvotes because I have my opinion. Apparently we are all supposed to have the same opinions here.

Last edited 6 months ago by Darren
Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  Darren

I for one really enjoy your contributions on this site, I just felt the words you used above were overly harsh. I think in that context it is then a bit rich to complain about downvotes. You could say something like TIX’s song doesn’t connect with you but you don’t have to say it is ridiculous or a joke. If someone said that about your favourite entry, how would that make you feel? I think to expect kindness we all have to try and be kind.

Darren
Darren
Reply to  Kosey

People often have said things about my favorite entries but that’s life. I’m saying it as it it is, I don’t mean to put it across in an unkind way, but I do feel Norway’s entry this year is a joke and I’m entitled to say that. You might not think it’s a joke and that’s honestly perfectly fine, we all have our favorites and we all have our supporters but I’m not going to hide away from the fact that I find the entry to be a joke. That’s just censorship, because not only can I not “connect” with… Read more »

Last edited 6 months ago by Darren
Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  Darren

Of course you are allowed to have an opinion. But then I don’t understand why you are worried that this site is toxic? Those opposing views that you might call toxic are just other people’s opinions and they believe them to be true as much as you believe your opinions to be true. What you are writing comes across a little bit like “I have my opinion, but nobody can have another opinion” and that can’t be right. You are very entitled to say that TIX’s song is ridiculous and a joke if that’s what you believe, but I don’t… Read more »

Ravencrow Neversmiles
Ravencrow Neversmiles
Reply to  Kosey

Well someone’s jealous 😉

Diamond
Diamond
Reply to  Darren

Stop comparing Roko and Tix. It’s getting ridiculous.
Roko’s cheaply made wings had nothing to do with his song, meanwhile in Tix’s context they do.
He’a singing about fallen angel what is he supposed to be wearing? Bunny ears?
Dont be toxic.

Darren
Darren
Reply to  Diamond

Pfft
This comment section is nothing but toxic.

Actually you know what, I’m done!
I’ve been commenting here and visiting this site since 2013, and it was a completely different place, but it’s only recently it’s flooded with bots, patriots and delicate little flowers that don’t understand the concept of a critique or personal opinion without feeling attacked in some way.

Well done Wiwi for allowing this to happen.
Over and out. Good luck to y’all in the real world.

Last edited 6 months ago by Darren
...
...

Finland is my favorite by far!

Red

2. Norway
3. Sweden
4. Iceland
5. Denmark

Nobody Important
Nobody Important

I never expected Finland to be the strongest of the Nordics.

Anhel
Anhel

Definitely Finland

Ravencrow Neversmiles
Ravencrow Neversmiles

I am probably biased but I think Finland is the best out of the norics this year. I’m just happy because this is the first time since 2014 I’ve really liked our song.
Norway is my 6th favorite song out of all the songs this year.
Iceland and Sweden also have good songs. But they don’t reach my top 10.
Denmark isn’t my cup of tea but I guess it’s decent too.

NickC
NickC

Finland!

NickC
NickC
Reply to  NickC

At this stage, I see Finland as one of the top 5 countries that has a realistic chance to win, alongside France, Lithuania, Malta, and Switzerland.

Jimbo
Jimbo
Reply to  NickC

I definitely agree with you that Finland, France, Lithuania and Switzerland are potentially winners however I would swap Malta out with Italy as a possible winner and I will say this is not down to personal taste but I think the jury and the public will score them well.

Saying that I do love Finland, France and Lithuania song ?

Ende
Ende

What a a poor year for Nordic countries…
For me only Finland is doing well.

Giolo
Giolo

I actually like all of them this year. Norway is weirdly my favorite one, as Tix is a brillante perormer and the song is good, too; I was extremely disappointed when we won, qs I feel Norway was going to rank in top 3 with KEiiNO this time, but I am not hating on Tix for this. Iceland and Sweden are really good too, solid tracks, Iceland is growing on me really much (exactly like Think About Things did last year). Finland’s song is surprisingly enjoyable, although I usually don’t listen to rock, but I jonestly did not like the… Read more »

I might be alone on this one, but I kinda like Norway the best, even if I see that Iceland and Finland also have good songs. The Swedish one is also okay. Predictable, but definitely not bad by any means. I am unsure whether I find Denmark more good or not, but I do like the fact that they finally gave a shot to the Danish language.

Euterpa
Euterpa
Reply to  Colin

You’re not alone
We’re in this together
All that we think
Is that Norway is better

(UK 2016 was playing in my head so I couldn’t resist the urge to write this 😀 😀 )

Yeah, I voted for Norway as well. I wasn’t impressed when I first heard it but it really has a nice melody that is easily memorable. I really find myself enjoying listening to that one the most so I had to be honest with myself while voting here.

Last edited 6 months ago by Euterpa
Lil Krumpy
Lil Krumpy

Honestly, I love them all. Finland (5.) – Hell YES to genre diversity. Violent pop or nu-metal or whatever, it’s badass. Iceland (6.) – A quality sequel with an expanded production. Has all the elements to be great, we just need to remove the memories. How do they keep getting better? Norway (8.) – A really chill vibe and I appreciate it. Even nostalgic. Norwegian would certainly work better though and since I can’t remember last time we heard Norwegian, it would be a no-brainer. Sweden (10.) – Sweden thrives on polished pop. So much, it’s usually sterile. This isn’t.… Read more »

Craig
Craig

Don’t like any of the nordics this year but if I had to pick a fave it’s Iceland or Norway

Stephanie
Stephanie

I’m not going to hate for choosing Norway, I respect your choice!!!

Iceland is my number one and winner of the whole thing. I talk to the elves every day and bring them a small gift from time to time.

Finland is my number two of the Nordics.
Norway is my third of the Nordics but I do prefer the version in Norwegian. I am kind of grieving for it but what to do.

I wish the Faroe Islands entered the competition.

Dave
Dave

Is autotune allowed at Eurovision this year? TIX had so much autotune in mgp it was unbelievable, surely this won’t be allowed for his Eurovision performance?

Diamond
Diamond
Reply to  Dave

Bro. First of all. Learn the difference between auto-tune and pre-recorded backing vocals. Auto-tune is what Elena has in “El Diablo”. And second of all. Check Tix’s other live performances. He has that type of soft and soothing voice even without backing vocals.
Plus. No. It’s not “that much” as you are exaggerating.
And third of all. Yes. Pre-recorded vocals ARE ALLOWED this year. Bye.

Stephanie
Stephanie

Without any doubt : FINLAND!!!

Last edited 6 months ago by Stephanie
Alaska
Alaska

I’m with you. And Norway. Giving all the Ajaxsss…

Giolo
Giolo
Reply to  Alaska

For me KEiiNO were definitely better than TIX, but he is still the best among the nordics imo!

myoozik