Uku Suviste Lucky One Estonia Eurovision 2021

The Wiwi Jury — our in-house team of music unprofessionals — is reviewing and rating the 39 competing songs in Eurovision 2021. Next up, we turn to Estonia where Uku Suviste has “The Lucky One”. Did we think luck was on his side? Read on to find out!

Uku Suviste – “The Lucky One”

“The Lucky One” reviews

Jonathan: In studio cut, Uku is definitely bringing a more compelling song to the contest compared with 2020. “The Lucky One” has some drama and passion fuelling it that gives listeners a reason to stay engaged. However, the performance at Eesti Laul felt very impersonal. The grey overtone to all the lighting washed out much of the song’s emotion. If Uku is able to finetune things so that he retains the moody performance while still giving the audience at home something to grab their attention, then he’ll at least have a solid entry on his hands.

Score: 6.5

Sebastian: Genuinely, “The Lucky One” is lucky enough even to receive a score of 2 – and it simply does because they’ve tried to throw enough money at it make it look expensive. But frankly, “The Lucky One” is just a bad investment in staging, songwriting and artistry. There is very little redeeming features to what is just a terrible package. Lyrically uncreative and poorly delivered by what seems to be a competent singer in Uku, it’s really a cursed package.

Score: 2

Renske: Estonia has one of the most underrated songs this year. Yes, it’s perhaps not the most original composition in the competition. For some reason, “The Lucky One” connotates a type of fight song. For once, it’s about a man who notices that his lover is perhaps not truly trustworthy, showing a vulnerable side to himself. Surrounded by an addictive drumbeat, Uku Suviste delivers his best song yet. Being a New Wave bronze medalist and a The Voice of Russia semi-finalist, Uku stays one of the stronger male vocalists this year.

Score: 8

Robyn: Look, there’s nothing at all wrong with this song. Uku is a good singer and performer, the song is well written. And yet the overall performance ends up being a bit bland. “The Lucky One” will be up against other moody synth-pop tracks from Poland and Greece in semi-final two but it doesn’t stand out as much as those two. And while Uku received strong support at the national final from local viewers, it is worrying that international juries were significantly less impressed. However, there is room for improvement and Estonia usually manage to do something special with their Eurovision staging.

Score: 3

Ron: “The Lucky One” is a great dark pop song with amazing slick production. The song is so anthemic and powerful that you literally feel recharged with energy after listening to it, so you just want to listen to it again and again. While its live performances weren’t perfect it didn’t lose its strength and I actually enjoy listening to it live just as much as I do enjoy the studio version. I love the drama and the passion of the song and the rich sounds in its production. My favourite part is the backing singer (or is it Uku himself pre-recorded?) in the chorus repeating Uku and singing “better off alone”. Uku delivers a convincing performance with quite an impressive staging and you can tell he is feeling this song.

Score: 8.5

Uku Suviste – “The Lucky One” rankings

In the Wiwi Jury we have 24 jurors but only have room for five reviews. The remaining scores are below:

Antranig: 5.5

Natalie: 2

Oliver: 5

Pablo: 6

Tobias: 5

Tom: 7

William: 5

We have removed the highest and lowest scores prior to calculating the average. This is to remove outliers and potential bias. We have removed a low of 2 and a high of 8.5.

Wiwi Jury verdict: 5.07/10

What do you think of this song? Share your own score and review below!

See all our Eurovision 2021 reviews and rankings

abenteuer
abenteuer
10 days ago

Admittedly better than his abysmal 2020 entry but it is still corny, generic and dated. Estonia had so many better songs to choose from this year.

SeNhiT
SeNhiT
11 days ago

This is my 23rd. I think it has no chance of making this final sadly.

Mr X
Mr X

Estonia 2/10 and definitely NQ

Pineaple
Pineaple
12 days ago

The wiwi jury is the same every year. The pop princesses will always do well while the majority of the male vocalists will be shoved to the back of the pack. It’s just really predictable.

With the greatest of respect to the whole team as everyone on the videos seems lovely. It’s just really boring when the same types of songs do well over and over again.

12 days ago

My opinion is practically the same as Robyn’s, so it’s pointless me repeating it. For the first time this season, it’s time for me to write: “Best of luck at this year’s contest.” 🙂

sangfreudx
sangfreudx
12 days ago

I like this song a lot, but I fully recognize that it feels old to anybody under 35. I’d call this a perfect update of a late-80’s radio hit. Somebody below name checked Bryan Adams, and that’s a great comparison. On one hand you can say it’s a bit anonymous and middle of the road, but on the other hand you can also say it has the common touch and it’s easy to like – especially if you hear it on the radio five times a day, like you would have in 1989. It has a fat sound, an unshowy… Read more »

Héctor
Héctor
12 days ago

While “The Lucky One” is better than his attempt last year, it is one of the worst songs this year. Pretentious, uninteresting and dull ballad with some investment behind and… maybe Kirkorov again? Certainly, it is suspicious how this song won in front of some other far better entries in Eesti Laul. This have nothing that grabs you. Nothing. It is just a filler in this year line-up and obviously it stands no chance of qualifying. I can’t believe it got a 5/10. 3.5/10 (at least it is listenable) Estonia falls down to my bottom 5: 6. Spain (7.5) 7.… Read more »

Sot
Sot
12 days ago

Wiwi Juries’ current TOP 16 Cyprus (7.45) Finland (7.34) Ukraine (7.32) Russia (7.18) Sweden (7.14) Azerbaijan (6.57) Israel (6.45) Latvia (6.34) Belgium (6.16) (=) Czech Republic (6.16) Serbia (6.09) Albania (5.89) (=) Norway (5.89) Spain (5.34) Germany (5.14) Estonia (5.07) My personal TOP 16 Ukraine (My 7th) Belgium (My 10th) Finland (My 11th) Estonia (My 12th) Russia (My 13th) Serbia (My 14th) Cyprus (My 17th) Czech Republic (My 18th) Albania (My 25th) Azerbaijan (My 26th) Israel (My 27th) Sweden (My 31st) Germany (My 34th) Latvia (My 35th) Spain (My 37th) Norway (My 39th) Opinion on EST: Ok, look, I know… Read more »

Last edited 12 days ago by Sot
Kas
Kas
12 days ago

I can see this a shock qualifier.

Film
Film
12 days ago

This end up being my favourite song this year and they never end up in the final like Nrway 2016, N. Macedonia 2017, Belarus 2018 and Romania 2019.

12 days ago

The perfect definition of OK. Nothing here is outstanding, but there’s also nothing degrading about it. The staging concept looks professional even if I feel it doesn’t convey the message in the lyrics (which are not very inspired but… OK). The track is decently produced, with good use of the synthesizers as a complement without overdoing it. Uku’s live vocals could be improved though. Running order won’t help, but it’s the kind of safe entry that sometimes knocks something creative out of the final. 4.75/10

Reply to  Sabrina

2/2 today. I mean, a 5 is a closest thing I could give, considering I don’t use quarters. If I did, I probably would have given it a 4.75 too, as it is closer to a 4.5 than to a 5.5 in my book. I agree that it’s just a really safe and predictable entry. The one which cannot be credited with being grating or captivating. It’s basically this year’s version of Dance You Off for me. A definition of a middle score indeed. 🙂

Kas
Kas
Reply to  Colin

??? Try to find a single relation between Dance you off and this one…and I conclude that Estonia is closer to Sweden in comparison to the countries of the South.

Reply to  Kas

I wouldn’t compare it with “Dance You Off” either , I would say it’s this year “Run with the Lions”. It has the whole package: cute guy, safe song, most people feel indifferent about. Benjamin left most people cold, but had the eye-catching staging and a song that ironically proved to be ahead of the trends.

Reply to  Sabrina

I guess that Run with the Lions would be an even better comparison, yeah. And considering that this is in semi 2, it could sneak in as a borderline qualifier. It’s my borderline non-qualifier, but I wouldn’t be that mad if it goes through. However, I would rather replace it with three or four songs from semi 1.

11 days ago
Reply to  Colin

I’m not counting it off yet, but I guess the running order won’t help his case, especially if Senhit delivers it. Estonia would be my second to last option on this semi though. And considering this is the weaker semi, it says a lot.

12 days ago

I enjoy this song more than other songs in semi 2, I hope he’ll qualify.

I don’t know what’s going on over there in Estonia, but when there is no effort to update his IG profile which says “winner of Eesti Laul 2020”; then I don’t know where Uku and his team are at.

Yudhistira Mahasena
12 days ago

Why are Denmark and Estonia underrated this year?

notyourtoy
notyourtoy
12 days ago

I will just say that those songs don’t stand out. There is no chance to remember those songs after one year as they have nothing to show up (well, for Denmark, only singing in their native language is something that will be remembered)

Kas
Kas
12 days ago

Denmark is completely underrated (my personal top 2)

pooky1001
pooky1001
12 days ago

Its an ok song, i do find myself singing along to it when i hear it. I dont think there is much they can do with it staging wise to make it rise up in peoples ratings. I think its going to qualify but will most likely finish in the last few on final night.

notyourtoy
notyourtoy
12 days ago

Estonian song again is boring af, but this year almost every Eesti Laul song (apart from Jüri’s song maybe) was bad. Last year, Uku was my second favourite behind Jaagup in Eesti Laul. As a song I give this a 4.5/10

Ivar
Ivar
12 days ago

Estonia is one of my favourite countries at Eurovision. Their entries from 1996-2000 were all fabulous, and so were their songs in 2009, 2012 and 2015. This year, unfortunately, is a very different story. This boring and non-descript entry does stand a theoretical chance of qualifying, but only because it is in a very weak semi-final. 2/10

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
12 days ago

“The Lucky One” is one of those songs. You know the kind. The ones that hardly anyone remembers after 5 years. The ones that you’re surprised to hear again during the recap. The ones you neither hate nor love, that ones that talk about passion and hardship, yet you feel nothing at all. They’re like anaesthetics for your mind, leaving you numb and uncaring. If you stumbled upon them on Youtube, you’d be too lazy to turn them off, but you’d never search for them yourself. It’s a tall order to praise them beyond some polite platitudes like “the singer… Read more »

Last edited 12 days ago by Skiwalko
Nobody Important
Nobody Important
12 days ago

He might have a higher chance of qualifying if he sings completely shirtless.

notyourtoy
notyourtoy

Well, this is a Eurovision Song Contest not Europe’s Next Top Model

DonutLover
DonutLover
Reply to  notyourtoy

Well yeah but he can do both slay vocaly and look hot while doing it lol

Alo
Alo
12 days ago

Every year eesti laul has great and original songs and they almost never win.. This year is no different.

just an esc fan
just an esc fan
12 days ago

well estonians.. that’s what u get for not choosing Jüri

GojoSatoru
GojoSatoru
12 days ago

Jüri can’t sing, the chances of qualifying for Estonia would’ve been smaller with Jüri. At least Uku is the type of act similar to Nathan Trent.

Roodi
Roodi
Reply to  GojoSatoru

Nathan is atleast charismatic Uku has no charisma.

Kristian
Kristian
12 days ago

The song in itself is listenable. The struggle that Uku had in trying to hit those notes in the NF wasn’t pleasant at all. I am not a fan of the song . I don’t see any scope of its qualification.
4/10 .

Whoareyou?
Whoareyou?
Reply to  Kristian

Finally someone said it. It’s not that he is a bad singer, he can do well, but there were indeed many vocal problems there.

Batkas
Batkas
12 days ago

I really like the song and I think he deserves to be in the final.
But let’s be honest, the running order is against him.

GojoSatoru
GojoSatoru
Reply to  Batkas

Uku Suviste is this year’s Nathan Trent (running order wise), he will surely go to the finale. He is in between two catchy dance songs, so it will surely stand out.

Roodi
Roodi
Reply to  GojoSatoru

Nathan has charisma Uku has no charisma that is the problem with him.

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
12 days ago

dated and grating, nothing else to add the wiwi jury already panned it enough

Anhel
Anhel
12 days ago

Not gonna lie, it’s pretty boring; but since it’s pleasant to hear and it doesn’t include any annoying elements (to me personally), it gets a good position in my ranking (26th place). I don’t think it’s a qualifier tho.

Neil
Neil
12 days ago

I agree with Renske, it is the most underrated song (Australia is a close second), as Estonia is my 8th

Thanos
Thanos
12 days ago

19. Estonia: It’s just the typical song you would expect from the Dream Team. A solid but completely unimaginative song. It is pleasant to listen to and with some good visuals it could also produce a nice stage performance. Nevertheless it will struggle to qualify (and probably won’t).

Darren
12 days ago

Uku has a great voice and let’s also be honest, he’s a handsome lad. But song wise, this does nothing for me. Leaves me numb and cold. I’m sorry Estonia. 4/10

Jessie
Jessie

Deban 8 lol

Tibor
Tibor
12 days ago

I don’t know, if I still have anything to say about Uku Suviste. I have never heard a competitive entry from him, he only ever presents songs that could be filler tracks on a 35 year old pop rock album, a forgotten track by Bryan Adams or Meat Loaf or Foreigner, for example, emphasis on “forgotten”. Apparently there’s still an audience for this kind of music, a lot of them seem to live in Estonia. I wouldn’t let this qualify, and it probably won’t, but if Victor Crone could do it, Uku can do it as well. Victor Crone’s placing… Read more »

Last edited 12 days ago by Tibor
Trina
Trina
Reply to  Tibor

oooohhh, Bryan Adams is spot-on. Never have I met someone more born to do an overwrought acoustic cover of “Everything I Do” than Uku.

Eugenie
Eugenie
12 days ago

OFFTOP: does somebody else have a lag when in the article’s preview there is wrong quantity of comments? What to do to fix it?

Kristian
Kristian
Reply to  Eugenie

Yup , have noticed that many times

12 days ago

I have “The Lucky One” as one of my semi 2 qualifiers. The song is OK – nothing remarkable but pleasant and inoffensive enough. I enjoy listening to it. Uku’s credited as a writer and I will always appreciate positively an artist’s participation in the creation of their song.

It’s in my top 10 especially because Eesti Laul was amazing this year. ETV are worthy of praise for their efforts for Eurovision 2021. I will *always* take into account growth/improvement in the national selection whether internal or not. In ETV’s case this year, the fabulous selection.

Yannis
Yannis
12 days ago

Is someone going to speak about the elephant in the room???? Aka that the song it is way too familiar with The Weeknd

Emily
Emily

24) Estonia –

I was part of the minority last year for liking What Love Is, and I feel almost exactly the same this year. I actually really like this song, though when I heard it live I wasn’t really sure. I do think it suits Uku’s voice quite nicely, but is it enough to qualify for the final? That I do not know, but I find it more memorable than some of the others I’ve bunched as being solid. 6/10

Last edited 12 days ago by Emily
Eugenie
Eugenie
12 days ago

As a synthesizer player myself (sorry, if I called the instrument wrong on English) I want to make a little correction of Robyn’s review. The song is NOT synth-pop and it’s not even close it. It’s just a pop with synth. Not every pop-song with the instrument is synth-pop. Uku’s song isn’t a part of the genre for a bunch of reasons. If you’d want to, I’ll explain why. But , please, make a correction. This is not synth-pop.

A R
A R

I miss Elina Nechayeva.
Uku has only beautiful face, that’s all.

Kosey
Kosey
12 days ago

16. Estonia – Uku Suviste – The Lucky One – 7/10 – this song is quite old-fashioned and not particularly ground-breaking, but the splashing drums and discrete electronica are everything in this song, building power throughout to generate surprisingly engaging emotional content. Uku seems much more suited to the song this year and gets across the message very well.

Last edited 12 days ago by Kosey
Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier
12 days ago

28th: Estonia. A big improvement over What Love Is, to be sure. The Lucky One is…..fine. Just fine. There isn’t anything horrible about it. It’s a decent slice of 80’s-revival pop. In fact, when I listened to it outside of the context of Eesti Laul (which had about 12 better songs), I found that it wasn’t as bad as I thought. But this is still a weak song, and it won’t be in the final. I sincerely hope he never comes back to Eesti Laul because he will basically be guaranteed the win from the Estonian televoters. Current Rankings: 4.… Read more »

12 days ago

ESTONIA – Congratulations to Uku for winning Eesti Laul twice in a row. I can somewhat understand why. He has a great voice and a good stage presence. Songs he chooses to compete with aren’t necessarily remarkable, but he sells them well. The Lucky One is a mild upgrade over its predecessor, as it tells a more meaningful story, and the production isn’t as dated in comparison. Men taking a more active role in a break-up is a fine topic to speak of. Still, there is some unspecified vacancy of a deeper connection here. I can’t put my finger on… Read more »

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean
12 days ago

I haven’t changed my mind about Eesti laul having so much better stuff to offer, but that semi final he is in makes me look quite favorably at his entry. Believe it or not, after San Marino, I would give him 2nd place in this very weak 2nd semi final where is forced to perform 2nd. “The Lucky One”, indeed. I wouldn’t know who to root for after the first two have performed. Albania is nice… Georgia might surprise or not… I wouldn’t know who to be excited for on Thursday. The first semi final already feels like it’s the… Read more »

Erasmus
Erasmus
12 days ago

I’m excited about Czech Republic, Iceland, Bulgaria, Greece and Switzerland, I’d be fine with Finland, Georgia, Moldova and Portugal qualifying and that’s it. It’s indeed a very weak semi… really reminds me of semi-final 2 in 2018 where I only liked Australia, Hungary, Sweden, Ukraine and the Netherlands..

Reply to  Erasmus

I agree with most of your favorites for Semi 2. I wouldn’t call it weak, though. Only weak-er compared to the first one. I can easily pick nine songs that deserve to go through: Switzerland, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Greece, Iceland, Finland, Moldova, San Marino, and Albania. The tenth spot is open, as all eight remaining songs have some issues.

Kristian
Kristian
Reply to  Colin

Czech Republic and Albania Could possibly not qualify and even Bulgaria isn’t looking like a televote qualifier. They need jury support and I’m not entirely sure what criteria the jury goes for.

Ende
Ende
13 days ago

For me, this is the lowest and weakest song of this contest. The melody had been heard thousand of times, his voice is totally average, the lyrics are boring and empty. I cannot like or even dislike the song as there is absolutely nothing. The guy is just hot…But this is not Mister Europe election so….
I hope that a lot of people disagree with me and like it as every artists deserve to find their own public.

Aeria
Aeria
13 days ago

I think this is similar to Lithuania in 2013. People will vote for Uku for his looks. You can’t deny that he is handsome. Heck, Victor qualified 2 years ago with several elements of his performance being incorrectly fleshed out. I think Uku has a better chance at qualifying than most people think. It’s obviously not a winner, but it won’t finish dead last at all.

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean
Reply to  Aeria

Lithuania 2013 was handsome? I didn’t notice anything but an unbelievably insipid song.

Eugenie
Eugenie
Reply to  Aeria

I would disagree on Uku’s appearance. I don’t find him f$ckable( sorry for the word, but it describes my feelings the best way). He’s too sweet probably. Of course, it’s only my opinion and I’m not trying to discriminate him, but that’s the way I feel about it. Personally, I would agree with on Austrian gay guy who enjoys Ukrainian boy( sorry, cannot remember nickname)

Reply to  Aeria

Victor had the Swedish aura or mysticism or whatever you call it. Song and performance were not worthy of qualification.

Eugenie
Eugenie
12 days ago

Yeah, Victor was really charismatic. And I totally agree with his track’s quality. I wonder, does it works with women? Is there qualified female singers that done this way only because of sexuality?

Reply to  Eugenie

Go to 2000s section, look among top ten finishers which are bangers about seduction, and take your pick. A lot of them fit that description to some degree. For instance, I doubt that Qele, qele finished 4th *only* because it’s a flawless track.

For me, Victor is amazing and charismatic, but I also love his song in its own merits. He just connects with it so well. 🙂 Totally different case than with The Lucky One, which just leaves me cold.

Last edited 12 days ago by Colin
Jofty
Jofty
12 days ago

So Uku can have good grounds to be optimistic?!

Reply to  Jofty

I was sarcastic in comment, actually. It was about the “Sweden effect”.