This time two weeks, it will be the day after the night before. Of course, the night in question is that of semi-final one. Then we’ll be processing the aftermath, but, for now, all we can do is look into our crystal balls or examine the tea leaves.
Back in March, we asked y’all to vote for your favourites in semi-final one of Eurovision 2021 before rehearsals. After counting a total of 19,655 votes for 16 acts, the results are in.
Poll results: Malta’s Destiny is your favourite to win semi-final one of Eurovision 2021… before rehearsals
She’s rating very highly with both the oddsmakers and fans, so, it’s no surprise to see Malta’s Destiny emerge on top. The “Je Me Casse” singer secured 2,746 votes or 13.97% of all votes cast.
Though it’s certainly a dance floor filler, “Je Me Casse” has a deeper meaning. Its lyrics channel female empowerment and encourage women to pursue their dreams. “It’s not about the fact that men aren’t important in our lives,” she says. “I want to put it out there as a fact — men are important in our lives because they help us a lot. It’s more about women not needing men to be successful, to be strong, to be powerful and to be legendary. We can be powerful and we can be independent without a man.”
In second place, we have The Roop. The Lithuanian band amassed an impressive 1,857 votes. That’s 9.45% of all votes cast. “Discoteque” is already a hit at home, smashing all sorts of streaming and voting records which the trio set themselves only one year earlier with “On Fire”.
Snatching the bronze medal is Azerbaijan’s Efendi. The “Mata Hari” songstress scooped up 1,777 votes or 9.04% of all votes cast.
Rounding out the top five is Cyprus’s Elena Tsagrinou and Croatia’s Albina. The remaining five qualifiers — according to our readers — are Romania’s Roxen, Australia’s Montaigne, Ukraine’s Go_A, Sweden’s Tusse and Israel’s Eden Alene.
Check out the full pre-rehearsal results below.
Results: Who should win the first semi-final of Eurovision 2021?
- Malta: Destiny “Je me cases” 13.97% (2,746 votes)
- Lithuania: The Roop “Discoteque” 9.45% (1,857 votes)
- Azerbaijan: Efendi “Mata Hari” 9.04% (1,777 votes)
- Cyprus: Elena Tsagrinou “El Diablo” 8.65% (1,700 votes)
- Croatia: Albina “Tick-Tock” 8.54% (1,678 votes)
- Romania: Roxen “Amnesia” 7.99% (1,571 votes)
- Australia: Montaigne “Technicolour” 7.3% (1,435 votes)
- Ukraine: Go_A “Shum” 5.58% (1,097 votes)
- Sweden: Tusse “Voices” 5.12% (1,006 votes)
- Israel: Eden Alene “Set Me Free” 4.91% (965 votes)
- Ireland: Lesley Roy “Maps” 4.76% (936 votes)
- Belgium: Hooverphonic “The Wrong Place” 4.25% (836 votes)
- Russia: Manizha “Russian Woman” 4.1% (806 votes)
- Norway: Tix “Fallen Angel” 3.49% (686 votes)
- Slovenia: Ana Soklič “Amen” 2.01% (395 votes)
- North Macedonia: Vasil “Here I Stand” 0.83% (164 votes)
Total Votes: 19,655
Do you agree with the results? Is Malta your favourite? Which songs are underrated? Let us know in the comments.
Note: This poll is just for fun. It is not designed to predict the final result in May.