Romania Roxen First Rehearsal Eurovision 2021

Romania’s Roxen has taken to the Rotterdam Ahoy stage for her first rehearsal at Eurovision 2021. Her performance is very similar to her music video, but how does “Amnesia” measure up on stage? Let’s see…

Romania’s Roxen “Amnesia” — Eurovision 2021 first rehearsal

Oliver: Almost a direct copy and paste from the music video, but with less dancers, updated outfits and a huge smoke machine budget. The stage backdrop looks good — with the absence of all her dancers, it shows silhouettes trying to break free from the screens. Roxen’s vocal is decent, but there’s no change to her diction or enunciation, which should have been a priority. As well, Roxen’s fatigue set in midway through the song and she occasionally lost her footing. The interpretive dance is also a rather bizarre translation on stage, but overall this is elevated from the music video. Perfecting this performance will be a monumental task.

Padraig: The stage show starts off dark and smokey and has a similar vibe to the music video. This gives way to light, as the backdrop is filled with a hopeful sunrise, radiating warm oranges, yellows and pinks. Roxen is wearing an oversized hoody, joggers and a giant pair of boots. It’s not exactly an outfit that screams Eurovision, but it appears to be a stylistic choice as her dancers are also dressed casually, albeit with an avant-grade flavour. Roxen acts the song, and you can hear the emotion in her voice. The fact that her vocal isn’t always perfect adds an extra emotional punch. However, the question remains as to whether the vocal cracking is down to emotion or the fact that she’s doing an awful lot of movement with her troupe of contemporary dancers.

Reaction to Romania’s first rehearsal at Eurovision 2021

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by wiwibloggs (@wiwibloggs)

What do you think? Did Roxen live up to your expectations? Let us know in the comments below.

Read more Romania Eurovision 2021 news here

Fun or ban?
Fun or ban?

A good move for the Romanian delegation would be to keep Roxen on the main stage on the second chorus, and to let the dancers go to the second little stage. Simply swap the places. Help her rest. I think the Romanian delagation made a huge mistake when they did not offer Roxen any backing vocals for the chorus, knowing she needs to move a lot on the stage. Poor judgement! Four dancers would have been enough.

JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Go Roxen,prove these negative types that your all that and the rehearsal means nothing!Canada is rooting for you!

Julian
Julian

Nobody cares about ESC anymore. The last singer people cared about was Laura. Since then only TVR knows what they want with this contest, no public involved hence no audience. It is just a big waste of money. Withdrawing would be the sound choice.

Seth
Seth
Reply to  Julian

Hmmm coming to a Eurovision website to complain about Eurovision and saying your country should withdraw. Do you really have nothing better to do?

Jake
Jake

I never thought this worked as a competitive song and now as a performance in a competition like this, even less…I never understood it’s appeal, but she genuinely looks lost on stage…what has happened to Romania lately…they were masters at Eurovision

Kirby
Kirby

Will Roxen be the new Sennek?

T.J.
T.J.

She seems lost on stage, not always knowing what to do next…

I love Roxen’s outfit! She looks like a WARRIOR!

ESC fan
ESC fan

NQ

Roodi
Roodi
Reply to  ESC fan

lets see on the 18th of may

As per Roxen in the meet and greet: 1. Not exact quote but she said was overwhelmed with emotion and/or cried when she got on the stage for the first time. Being there was a big dream and meant a lot to her. 2. They will keep same outfits for the final performance. She seemed to be in a good mood and confident about their performance further on. Happy to hear that (nevermind the outfit). And most importantly, I am happy to see she’s grown a lot in the past year in terms of self-confidence and public speaking. She handled… Read more »

The truth
The truth

She needs to work on her vocals. They were pretty weak. It shows there was no auto-tune to help out.

Agent 007
Agent 007
Reply to  The truth

The song does not suit live performances. It was clear from the second I first heard it.

All W
All W
Reply to  The truth

Thats really sad as it looked she managed her vocals before. How will you solve that? There’s only a short time left?

Nati
Nati
Reply to  All W

In her rehearsals for 2020 eurovision when singing 5 sons to pick one, she did struggle with vocals too. But they might sort this.

Aeria
Aeria

Her styling is absolutely dreadful, so I pray they’ll change it. She also needs some vocal practice before the live shows. If not, Romania could very well be a shock NQ

great song message and performance but thye need to rehearse more. Roxen needs more help with backing vocals.

Cozmin COZMA
Cozmin COZMA

She is so beautiful!
I just felt that she was pretty nervous but hey, it’s just the first rehearsal. I think she will shine in the end …..
Also I think there is a lot of choreography for her to keep her vocals just perfect on point, the delegation can review perhaps this important element giving her the chance to perform in a better way.
Good luck, Roxen!

Teddy
Teddy

This is looking like a hot mess right now. We’re only a week away from the jury shows, she should be singing much better than this so late in the game. I hope Romania gets their act together because this semi is WAAY too cut throat for her to qualify with this

I LOVE this song, and I WANT it to qualify! Still, this clip shows that the staging could be too much to feel cohesive. This isn’t the semi to let yourself be out of focus. Please, Roxen, focus and qualify! I don’t want for some much inferior songs to come ahead just because they mastered the staging.

Denis
Denis

I like the idea but needs to be towned down. Its never a good idea to look tired and over worked in your performance. Too many ESC acts have fallen in the trap of doing to much on stage..

I love the concept (the music video is by far my favorite between this year’ contestants), but the rehearsal snippet made me seriously concerned. It seems the choreographer forgot Roxen will have to sing too, she can’t run through the stage like that. I hope they have a plan B for the choreography, because it will be hard to perfect it under pressure.

Last edited 5 months ago by Sabrina
Kirby
Kirby
Reply to  Sabrina

Good point!!!

nope
nope

The staging is a mess and she sounds like she’s gasping for air. I hope they fix this because I really like the song

Leo
Leo

This can totally work in the way Belgium 2017 worked

Darren

This could go either way, though the nervousness she has could work in her favor as some kind of vulnerability, as the song is about not forgetting to love yourself.
Not writing Romania off yet, it’s one to watch.

I like the concept of the staging. The colour palette looks good *except* for the green of Roxen’s outfit. Green top and purple hair? Really??
Her body movement and vocal were far off. Hopefully they will improve for the second rehearsal. Some camera shots were very good. The song is amazing. Still in my top.

Popeye Spinach
Popeye Spinach

It could be that she`s wearing the green only at the rehearsal and not showing the real costume yet

Reply to  Popeye Spinach

Yeah, that’s possible. Even thought clothes can easily be replaced and should eventually not matter *that* much. The vocals and movement though … I don’t know. They’ve chosen a brilliant song (locally made and produced) and made a gorgeous video. They are the most invested in making this participation a success. All hope is not lost, I guess. I *hope*.

McRoro2003
McRoro2003

She was so nervous and the choreography really didn’t suit her vocals.
I really hope Roxen and the Romanian delegation will fix what’s troubling them, because we all know Roxen can deliver a solid and emotional performance.
Fingers crossed for Romania!

Last edited 5 months ago by McRoro2003
Steven
Steven

She was in my top 10 but now I’m worried if she qualify for the grand final. Such a shame because this song is a masterpiece

Vsl
Vsl

not TOO bad

I love it! I love the concept! I love Roxen’s look! I have zero worries about their performance. ZERO!

My only complaint it that the snippets are too short. I’m craving more of Romania and Russia!

VladF
VladF
Reply to  Whisker

Seriously? They had two years to prepare something impressive and they just presented this staging. I mean..seriously???

Reply to  VladF

Nobody except Azerbaijan had two years to prepare.

Also: the snippet is not what the performance will look like. The first rehearsals are about performers getting used to the stage, coordinating with dancers, working out the camera angles, lights and other technical details, REVIEWING the rehearsal and making changes. Her performance is quite complex.

SERIOUSLY!

phone but on laptop
phone but on laptop
Reply to  VladF

fix your math, it was nowhere near 2 years

Candy
Candy

If they get this right Romania could literally win. In this rehearsal tho the thing that is worrying me the most are her vocals. I hope she gets them right on 18th

Reply to  Candy

I think she’ll do very well! I can’t wait for watch the whole performance.

Berco
Berco

Girl! Stop moving and give us your mesmerizing voice!

Thanos
Thanos

The staging is extremely ambitious. This means that this entry could go both ways. If it works it is going to be amazing. I am extremely worried about her vocals. I really hope their ideas work because I really like this song.

Theo
Theo

The first rehearsal is technical. Very few will go well in this rehearsal for most countries. The next one will be better. Good luck from Cyprus ?

I don’t think it was so bad, but if they get a camera shot wrong, the whole thing might falls down, it’s a very risky performance.

Ego Fuego
Ego Fuego

GO GIRL, GIVE US NOTHING!!!

Last edited 5 months ago by Ego Fuego
voix
voix

I saw someone judging Elena’s vocals. I am laughing.

Hello hi
Hello hi

Love the studio version and video production . Stage production is a mess. It reminds me of what happened with Armenia 2019 and what went wrong there

yeahyeahfire
yeahyeahfire

I want her so badly to qualify but with these vocals its very likely that this will stay in SM1

Kristian
Kristian

She was very out of breath . They need to make her run less.

Kwnos
Kwnos

She will definitely stay in the semis

WannaEatMySpaghetti
WannaEatMySpaghetti

Ouch. The staging seems messy to me and the vocals are bad. Romania was alreay 10th in my top of SF1 but now Roxen seems in danger.

Last edited 5 months ago by WannaEatMySpaghetti
Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina

roxen baby no… this needed minimal staging a la beautiful mess this is too much !!

gamarjoba
gamarjoba

Yikes! This mess of a performance makes even her Cherry Red self-sabotage look decent in comparison.

Grft
Grft

This looks so messy and sounds like a NQ to me.

Doris
Doris

It was so obvious when a studio version is so over autotuned that the live would be a mess.

kas
kas

Prefere her hair down. Nice choreography, wrong colors and clothes and Roxen was nervous enough. Unfortunatelly…with these bad vocals could be the shocked NQ of the semi 1. Actually, is the only song that has lost one place in odds, immediatelly after the first rehearsal. Hope to make the needed improvement.

Last edited 5 months ago by kas
IPA
IPA

Oh dear – those vocals are in trouble (and it’s not about saving her voice)! The girl ought to have a chat with Vasil!

mark dowd
mark dowd

It’s kind to suggest the frail, off key vocals are part of the song’s “emotion.” but it just sounds out of tune. Juries will punish that if she doesn’t get back on track. Shame , as it’s a decent song.

Viggz
Viggz

She was nervous, so let’s hope that her vocals will be better next time.

Sot
Sot

Oh no… That’s bad for Roxen

I don’t want her to NQ but… will the performance be emotional enough for her to qualify?
Plus she doesn’t look like the most confident performer out there

Escfan
Escfan

She was good, but I have to say I’m a little bit disappointed by her vocals… I hope she will improve !

Escfan
Escfan
Reply to  Escfan

She should just drop her emotions and it will be 10 times better

VladF
VladF

So, the first of the two sad balkan princesses is out of the game. Let’s see what Viktoria will bring…

Sale
Sale
Reply to  VladF

This supossed to be fun? Well nobody laughed. Plus you can’t just rule them out yet. Remember the negative ractions Blanche got after rehearsals yet she still finished 4th.

Sale
Sale
Reply to  Sale

True 🙁

VladF
VladF
Reply to  VladF

Ahahah true, but I was talking just about the two sad ones!

JJ BB
JJ BB

She was really nervous

Leo
Leo

Why does she look like elves in that hoodie?
LOL!