Over the weekend, just after the last round of second rehearsals, we asked y’all to vote for your Eurovision 2021 semi-final two favourites. Now, with just hours to go until the show goes live, we can reveal your top picks in the second semi-final. After counting a total of 10,001 votes for 17 acts, the results are in.
Poll results: Switzerland’s Gjon’s Tears is your favourite to win the second semi-final of Eurovision 2021 with “Tout l’Univers”
Switzerland’s Gjon’s Tears has been a firm favourite with fans for months. And that support remains strong going into tonight’s semi-final. The “Tout l’Univers” singer amassed 1,366 votes or 13.66% of all votes cast. It has been one of the bookies’ favourites all season. And rightly so. It creates so many moments of stillness and emotion as Gjon takes us on his journey. Having French lyrics might seem like a weak point, but this is a case where the melody of the song guides our emotions. Dressed in an outfit resembling a flamenco dancer, he performs inside a large white frame as fog billows atmospherically around him. He does some light choreography. As the song reaches its climax, everything becomes much more frantic – the lights, his movements. The frame also separates into three distinct parts. It ends with an explosive cinematic flair, exuding class.
Bulgaria’s Victoria comes in second. The “Growing Up Is Getting Old” hitmaker attracted 11.65% of the vote, which amounts to an impressive tally of 1,165 votes. Like any good storyteller, VICTORIA doesn’t rush her exposition. She takes her time with “Growing Up Is Getting Old” — literally opening with the heavy sound of a ticking clock. The song slowly and carefully warms up, layering nostalgia and tenderness over strings and piano. As Victoria comes to terms with the relentlessness of time, expressed through that delicate and distinct voice, her trickle of emotion becomes a flood, delivering one of the biggest musical pay-offs of the year. This song may be a slow burn, but it definitely ignites, giving us an “it” moment worthy of the win. “I’ve never understood how so much can fit in little me,” VICTORIA sings. In these three minutes, she proves that she contains multitudes.
Bronze goes to Iceland’s Daði og Gagnamagnið with “10 Years”. The viral sensations took home 1,164 votes or 11.64% of all votes cast. Sadly, a member of Daði Freyr’s on-stage band Gangamagnið tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday. As a result, the group will compete using a backup recording from their second rehearsal earlier in the week. That performance explodes with colour — mint green is their signature — and video-game inspired graphics of the group’s six members.
The top five is complete by Greece’s Stefania with “Last Dance” and Finland’s Blind Channel with “Dark Side”.
If the final decision was down to our readers, the remaining five qualifiers would be Serbia’s Hurricane with “LOCO LOCO”, San Marino‘s Senhit feat. Flo Rida with “Adrenalina”, Albania’s Anxhela Peristeri with “Karma”, Portugal’s The Black Mamba with “Love Is On My Side” and Latvia’s Samanta Tīna with “The Moon Is Rising”.
Poll results: Who should win Semi-Final 2 of Eurovision 2021?
- Switzerland: Gjon’s Tears “Tout l’Univers” 13.66% (1,366 votes)
- Bulgaria: Victoria “Growing Up Is Getting Old” 11.65% (1,165 votes)
- Iceland: Daði og Gagnamagnið “10 Years” 11.64% (1,164 votes)
- Greece: Stefania “Last Dance” 11.33% (1,133 votes)
- Finland: Blind Channel “Dark Side” 7.93% (793 votes)
- Serbia: Hurricane “Loco Loco” 7.72% (772 votes)
- San Marino: Senhit “Adrenalina” 7.67% (767 votes)
- Albania: Anxhela Peristeri “Karma” 4.9% (490 votes)
- Portugal: The Black Mamba “Love Is on My Side” 4.75% (475 votes)
- Latvia: Samanta Tīna “The Moon Is Rising” 4.7% (470 votes)
- Denmark: Fyr & Flamme “Øve os på hinanden” 4.29% (429 votes)
- Moldova: Natalia Gordienko “Sugar” 2.54% (254 votes)
- Czech Republic: Benny Cristo “Omaga” 1.99% (199 votes)
- Austria: Vincent Bueno “Amen” 1.68% (168 votes)
- Estonia: Uku Suviste “The Lucky One” 1.6% (160 votes)
- Poland: Rafał “The Ride” 1.32% (132 votes)
- Georgia: Tornike Kipiani “You” 0.63% (64 votes)
Total Votes: 10,001
Do you agree with the results? Is Switzerland your favourite? Which songs are underrated? Let us know in the comments.