Italy Eurovision 2021 Winners Maneskin
PHOTO: EBU / ANDRES PUTTING

Cyprus’ Elena Tsagarinou gave us an opening that was hotter than hell. While San Marino’s Senhit and Flo Rida ensured the show closed with a bang! In between, we were treated to all sorts of amazing performances. But, in the end, it was Italy‘s Måneskin who walked away as the winners of Eurovision 2021 with “Zittie e buoni”.

Eurovision 2021 winner: Italy’s Måneskin with “Zitti e buoni”

It is likely to go down as one of the most thrilling Eurovision voting sequences of all time. At the halfway point, it was a battle between two French-language chansons — “Voilà” and “Tout l’univers”. But despite trailing Switzerland, France and Malta at the end of the jury vote, Italy swept ahead in the public vote and took first place in the process. And even then they only just beat France’s Barbara Pravi by the narrowest of margins.

The Italian rockers finished with a tally of 524 points, just 25 ahead of Barbara who got 499 points. Meanwhile, Switzerland’s Gjon’s Tears— the jury vote winner — took bronze with 432 points. This is the first time since 1995 that the top three has been completely comprised of non-English entries. Additionally, all three secured their best results in years. This is Italy’s third Eurovision victory, its last being in 1990. France hasn’t reached the podium since 1991 when it also finished second. And Switzerland hasn’t achieved such a high since 1993.

History was also made at the lower end of the scoreboard. For the first time since the introduction of the new jury/public split in 2020, four countries received nil points from the televote. The quartet consisted of four automatic qualifiers — Netherlands, Spain, Germany and the United Kingdom. The result was particularly stinging for the UK which also received nil points from the juries. This gives them the unenviable honour of becoming the first country to receive no points under the post-2016 voting system. It’s also the UK’s second consecutive 26th-place finish. The Brits also famously received no points in 2003.

Eurovision 2021 results

23. Netherlands: Jeangu Macrooy “Birth of a New Age” 11
  24. Spain: Blas Cantó “Voy a quedarme” 6
  25. Germany: Jendrik “I Don’t Feel Hate” 3
  26. United Kingdom: James Newman “Embers” 0

Eurovision 2021 jury results

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by wiwibloggs (@wiwibloggs)

12 points awarded by the juries

9: Switzerland — Albania, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Israel, Latvia
5: France — Ireland, Netherlands, San Marino, Spain, United Kingdom

21. San Marino: Senhit feat. Flo Rida “Adrenalina” 13
  22. Belgium: Hooverphonic “The Wrong Place” 3
  23. Netherlands: Jeangu Macrooy “Birth of a New Age” 0
  24. Spain: Blas Cantó “Voy a quedarme” 0
  25. Germany: Jendrik “I Don’t Feel Hate” 0
  26. United Kingdom: James Newman “Embers” 0

What do you think of the end result? Did the right song win? And are you excited for next year? Let us know in the comments below.

Follow all of our Italy Eurovision 2021 news.

Total

7 points Italy
8 points Lithuania
10 points France
12 points Ukraine

Esc addict
Esc addict

France got 8 times 12 pts, not 5, from Germany, Switzerland and Serbia too.
Switzerland 8 times too because the 12 pts from Germany went to France.

Last edited 3 months ago by Esc addict
Daniel
Daniel

This is not the first time San Marino has (probably) had pacts with other countries in the Eurovision Song Contest, for example in 2011. For the result next to be better next year, I think. 1. The jury members do not vote after they have possibly discussed with the others in the country’s jury and they are not appointed by the country’s TV company but for example the EBU or some other organization. 2. 15-20 jury members per country. 3. More countries than just the top ten get points from each jury / viewing group. If more countries get points,… Read more »

Last edited 4 months ago by Daniel
Lola
Lola

Italy recieved 4 sets of 12 points, Slovenia has also given them 12 points!

CookyMonzta
CookyMonzta

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned already, but in the televote category, Ukraine, France and Italy got at least a point from every country. Finland almost joined them, but they got blanked by Georgia.

Rome has also entered the race to hosting ESC 2022. In a pre-pandemic era, I’d be quite confident that Turin would host. But since will be a kind of “post-pandemic era”, many cities probably want to attract tourists, so there will be some tough competition.

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl

Wow, what a night this grand final is and I can’t believe it’s over. Here are my thoughts on all of the finalists: I just realized that this is the first time in decades that we had a top three comprise of non-English language songs and this is the first time we’ve had two of the Big Five countries in the top 3 in the modern Eurovision era. Viva Italia! Congratulations! It’s been long overdue for an Italian victory and it does come full circle. Ten years after you returned to the contest, the contest now returns to you. Hopefully,… Read more »

kas
kas

Overall FAIR enough results in top, middle and bottom. Congrats to Italy.

CookyMonzta
CookyMonzta

Under the old system left behind in 2015 (via the Web), absolutely no change in the top 10. Måneskin, though, would have scored more points (295) than Il Volo (292). And for the first time ever, three zeroes at the bottom (Spain, Germany and the U.K.). 295 Italy 261 France 241 Switzerland 214 Iceland 195 Ukraine 154 Finland 116 Malta 112 Lithuania 94 Russia 89 Greece 74 Portugal (+1) 70 Bulgaria (-1) 69 Moldova 46 Serbia (+1) 43 Sweden (-1) 42 Cyprus 33 Albania (+4) 29 Norway 27 Israel (-2) 22 Belgium (-1) 21 Azerbaijan (-1) 14 San Marino 1… Read more »

Last edited 4 months ago by CookyMonzta
Graph
Graph
Reply to  CookyMonzta

Thanks for posting this! I had been wondering how it would have been under the old system.

Ende
Ende
Reply to  CookyMonzta

I actually read a different analysis mentioning that France would have won with 1 point margin based on the old system.
This does not change that Italy is 2021 ESC Winner !!!!!

Stephanie
Stephanie

One small thing. The real winner yesterday was actually Nikkie de Jager!!! You rock, girl!!!

Jofty
Jofty
Reply to  Stephanie

100%. I wish they had let her loose on Carola; either give us your votes or shut up.

Sale
Sale

In the article you got the jury 12 points all wrong, fix that pls

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit

Wow, congratulations to Italy, Måneskin were awesome! Congrats to all the contestants too, because ESC 2021 was such a strong year and a strong comeback for the Contest. I’m still in awe of the show. The Dutch team put on such a well organised and impressive Eurovision Week, with all that goes into the live shows and the extras like the turquoise carpet and the LookLab series—its astonishing, considering all the various additional challenges they’ve had to deal with the past 14 months. It was over so quickly, as always, but a huge relief and release to have the joy… Read more »

Last edited 4 months ago by Jimmy Smit
Darren
Reply to  Jimmy Smit

You’ll be sticking around Jimmy I’m sure?

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit
Reply to  Darren

Will keep checking in, sure 🙂

Rogesc
Rogesc

I also want to point out how sad I feel for the UK. I, for myself, can say that politics do not play a role at all in the choice not to vote for them. What bothers me though is the way the British media themselves blame politics every year when they end up in the bottom. Just take a moment to reflect on the way you handle Eurovision as a country… You can’t be mad if you look at the contest as a joke but at the same want a top positioning. They only way forward is taking it… Read more »

Reply to  Rogesc

(copy/pasting my response from an earlier comment)

I think most of the people blaming Brexit for us doing poorly are people that either never watch Eurovision, slag Eurovision off or don’t take it seriously, or a mix of both. I personally thought ours wasn’t interesting enough with little impact compared to other countries and BBC’s becoming real stale and /should/ give rights to ITV or another broadcaster.

Last edited 4 months ago by Emily
esc22
esc22

Seems like 2022 will be a year of mediocre rock entries. I don’t mind tho, there will always be mediocre entries and at least that would bring diversity.

PP77
PP77
Reply to  esc22

Malta in 2022 sent rock band with G sson song and SJB staging again.

Ende
Ende

I am so happy that they won as they were my favorites from day 1.
Also extremely but positively surprised by France and Switzerland as I did not believe they would be in the top 5 due to to french languageAnd now we will have to wait 1 year 🙁 🙁 🙁 This makes me so sad

Kirby
Kirby

I do hope this is the end of a Fuego-wannabe era, it’s getting sort of tiresome.

Last edited 4 months ago by Kirby
esc22
esc22
Reply to  Kirby

I also feel like that might happen. Even though all female bops except Croatia qualified, the best result among them was Malta, which was “only” 7th and wasn’t exactly a Fuego wannabe.

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  esc22

I think the lesson learned here is variety and diversity in music genres and languages is a good thing. Too many songs in the same or similar mold would just end up with middling results.

PP77
PP77
Reply to  Kirby

I think Fuego era is gone, and I hope Arcade era is gone with Fuego era. Next year we will many rock band, and bulgaria type song from this year , will be in TOP 3.

Iván el Conquistador
Iván el Conquistador

A very unpredictable Eurovision season that ended up with a satisfactory ending. May Maneskin’s victory be the evidence of how being different brings joys in the contest.

Not Vanilla
Not Vanilla

Funny how UK complains about neighbor voting, and when they dont get their annual pity points from Ireland, Australia, Malta they get real salty… The truth is they were so bad they are partially responsible for boosting the following act Greece to top 10.

Rogesc
Rogesc

France was my winner of the evening and I don’t get why some jury’s gave France 0 points, how professional are you then as a jury?! For the contest it’s good that a rocksong can win it too. Anyway it was a great show and I am so proud of my country The Netherlands for this technical masterpiece!

Iván el Conquistador
Iván el Conquistador
Reply to  Rogesc

Netherlands truly delivered as host. My compliments.

Lola lola loca
Lola lola loca

Mamacita is crying

TheDrMistery
TheDrMistery

For what is worth, UK was 11th in Polish jury voting so he was agonizingly close…

Another cool fact is that Senhit, Natalia, and Sanja all managed to surpass their previous results from the contest. Congrats to all 3 of them!

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit
Reply to  Colin

That’s a nice one, congrats to them! 🙂

I’m still a little disappointed for Senhit, getting quite such a low score from the public after her Freaky Trip to Rotterdam.

Colono
Colono

I think France has a big chance to become a new powerhouse in the contest after yesterday’s result. Even Macron seems really happy in his tweet and everything. If they keep deliver, a winning entry from France is not so far away. Just sayin..

Darren
Reply to  Colono

I predicted a few years ago that France, Italy and Bulgaria would win soon.
One down, two to go.
France will happen soon.

ESC 21

This is the worst ESC EVER. SO MANY. So many bad songs

Giolo
Giolo
Reply to  ESC 21

Ironic you got named after the “worst ESC ever” then.

Reply to  Giolo

Clap clap!

Pia
Pia

The odds and the bookmakers are what is ennoying me more and more each year…The amount of press and attention their ‘thought’ receive and are jammed down our throats, almost tell us whom to vote for!! Where’s the excitement??? Like sheep, I have the feeling, loads of people vote for their pre-scripted favourites….Betting will always be big business, but for me it is starting to take the magic away….no more surprise winners and that for almost a decade…

Ted
Ted
Reply to  Pia

I take no notice of the betting odds. I dont place bets anyway.
I voted for italy and lituania coz i loved their songs and presentation. end of.
There are bloggers that push and push betting odds, but thats probably because they invest their advertisement revenue in the betting shops to try and earn a bit more wonga to run their websites.
Remember how wiwi were pushing Malta for ages then threw all their love behind Italy at the last minute! We’d be lost without websites such as wiwi

Pia
Pia
Reply to  Ted

The problem is you can’t escape them…Papers, television, bloggs….more and more it’s like ‘here are the countries you HAVE to vote for, no argument’

Who am I?
Who am I?
Reply to  Pia

Pia I couldn’t agree with you more!

Who am I?
Who am I?

Next time I’m not listening to any of the bias from the press… What does the press have to say now about Moldovas and Greeces results?? What does the press have to say now about bulgarias and San Marinos results and maltas televote result? All in all, the press can downplay countries all they want but in the end their opinion doesn’t matter. Congratulations to Italy for winning, congratulations to Greece for making the top 10 after carrying so much hate over the past month, and congratulations to Moldova for exceeding the expectations. Congratulations Portugal for also exceeding the expectations!… Read more »

Ende
Ende
Reply to  Who am I?

So much hate towards Greece ? Which newspapers or blogs are you reading ? Medias have been extremely supportive with Stefania, they even presented her performance as revolutionary saying that other countries in the future would copy it. She used a green screen… How is that an innovation ?
Stop victimisation. Greece is an amazing country and everybody across Europe likes Greek people <3 <3 <3

Last edited 4 months ago by Ende
justafan
justafan
Reply to  Ende

Greek media were constantly hating on Stefania, pointing out every single detail that went wrong with her performances and boosting Cyprus’ Elena (who deserved better that’s for sure).

Ende
Ende
Reply to  justafan

Are not all national medias doing that to the national contestant ? That’s not specific to Greece.
Stefania is young and achieved way more than most of us did or will . She deserves her top 10

Last edited 4 months ago by Ende
Rosy B
Rosy B
Reply to  Ende

But why does Greece almost always send a song by Kontoplous and Kirkarov and Sharon Vaughn? It is like a monopoly they have, and all they produce is old fashioned music and lyrics. I think they should have a break now and allow Greece some fresh faces.

Who am I?
Who am I?
Reply to  Rosy B

Stefanias was fresh, she was only 18

Anne Marie
Anne Marie

At the beginning of the contest: This year is so weak, really boring
Few weeks later: this is the hardest year ever!
How did this narrative change so fast ?

Teddy
Teddy
Reply to  Anne Marie

The studio versions are very different to the live versions. Ukraine, Austria and Switzerland amongst others gave very good live performances that made people see their song in a different light. Also choosing between four 10/10 performances is much easier than choosing between fifteen 8/10 ones. The bar was lower this year so more songs stood a chance

Last edited 4 months ago by Teddy
Sognomio
Sognomio

So sad.Uk and spain did not so.low points.There were worse songs yesterday on stage

A message for Sabrina, Tibor, Kosey, Skiwalko, Una, Darren, and everyone who regularly posted reviews and ratings in the Wiwi Jury – Do you agree that it’s a good idea that we arrange a day to post our updated scores and rankings? I am really curious how your lists changed. Mine certainly did! 🙂

Last edited 4 months ago by Colin
Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Colin

Yeah, it was fun in 2019.

Reply to  Colin

Yes Colin – fab idea. There are a few changes here and there in my estimates vs. end results!! We’ve had a very strong albeit unusual year.

Darren
Reply to  Colin

Yeah I’m totally up for that!

Reply to  Colin

Thank you to you too, Colin! And I agree, I’d love to see what opinions were changed post-final!

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
Reply to  Colin

Yeah, sure. This was an intense week, it’d be neat to compose our thoughts and wrap up this season with some final rankings and remarks.

Darren
Reply to  Colin

We could do it next weekend, maybe Thursday night before the “Song Celebration” live on tape performances on Friday.

Reply to  Darren

Sure, it’s a good idea. 🙂 We could do it under the ”Wiwi Jury” page for 2021, maybe? The one that has all the scores in order.

Darren

Awesome

I saw brits blaming BREXIT again for their last place.
I am sorry, but your song just wasnt enough special this year to make someone pick up a phone and the staging was flat and uninspired. Would fit for pub, not for eurovision.

Jofty
Jofty
Reply to  Yes

At least you can buy a drink in the pub to make you forget about the karaoke

Reply to  Yes

I think most of the people blaming Brexit for us doing poorly are people that either never watch Eurovision, slag Eurovision off or don’t take it seriously, or both. I personally thought ours wasn’t interesting enough with little impact compared to other countries (and BBC’s becoming real stale and /should/ give rights to ITV or another broadcaster), and it’s just my theory.

Last edited 4 months ago by Emily
TheDr Mistery
TheDr Mistery
Reply to  Yes

Maybe I will get slammed for this but James struggled with the hardship of performing this uptempo number live and it showed.

Several cities have already expressed interest in hosting ESC 2022, including Milan, Turin and Naples.

Reply to  Jo.

I think Turin and Milan are the favorites. It might serve as a test event for the Olympics in Milan.

Since so many rules have changed since the last year, I think it would be a good thing to *try for one year* changing the ”Big Five” rule. Due to outstanding results, Big Five next year should be Italy, France, Switzerland, Iceland, and Ukraine. On the other hand, UK, Germany, and Spain should try out in the semis. Maybe, just maybe they start taking some risks, and realize that having a decent song isn’t the goal. Okay, Germany took a risk and failed, but at least it was a risk. Also, they deservingly scored a 4th place back in 2018.… Read more »

Last edited 4 months ago by Colin
Ende
Ende
Reply to  Colin

Are Switzerland, Ukraine and Iceland ready to pay as much as Spain, the UK and Germany ???

Reply to  Ende

That’s a good question. I would hope so (for one year). If not, we can retain a status-quo. Still, I see no actual benefits for being an automatic qualifier, if you rarely take any risks, and almost always finish in bottom 5.
Don’t get me wrong, I actually *like* a lot of British, German, and Spanish recent entries, but except for Germany in 2018 and UK in 2017, I cannot say I sensed ”winning vibes” in any of them. They should seriously up their game, and having ”something to lose” by competing in the semis could be a powerful motivator.

Reply to  Colin

Never going to happen. The EBU wants the Big 5 money and viewership for the contest.

Reply to  Jo.

I guess so. Wishful thinking. I just think that having a finals guaranteed makes them less competitive. Still, France regained their mojo in 2016, and Italy never lost it, so maybe there are other ways to do so. Maybe they can stay AQs while taking more risks. I guess there are ways, and it’s actually a good subject for a more detailed analysis in another topic.

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Colin

We all know, it is not an advantage to be part of the big 5 when it comes to the competition, only taking things seriously is. And we can always hope that they will scrap the big 5 rule, but since the UK, Germany and Spain not being in the final would cost the EBU a huge chunk of their ratings, they won’t do it. The general public is not interested in the semis,in Germany they have been moved out of the main programme, because the semis had only a fraction of the viewers of the Grand Final. The only… Read more »

Reply to  Tibor

I agree. Sanremo works. France: You Decide works. Maybe try something similar, by including a lot of *diverse* artists and styles. It is time for me to say – You were *right*, and I wasn’t, when it comes to Jendrik’s entry. I overestimated it’s appeal to the general audiences. Nevertheless, I did give him one of my votes, and I still really, really like the song. Should have placed much higher. Still, objectively speaking, I never thought that it was going to win or place in top 10. And sadly, I don’t think that Jendrik or the broadcaster did either.… Read more »

Last edited 4 months ago by Colin
Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Colin

We’ll see if “C’est vous qui décidez” will work, one good result isn’t enough to tell that, yet, and we know that France likes to change their selection method all the time. But Sanremo is giving Italy, consistently good results for a reason, it’s a show that takes the music seriously and seasoned performers as well as newcomers like to take part and bring their a-game. Sure, also Germany and other big 5 country were able to enter something decent now and then, but only Italy did it consistently. When they sent their Sanremo winner, they were never a bottom… Read more »

Reply to  Tibor

”We’ll see if “C’est vous qui décidez” will work, one good result isn’t enough to tell that, yet” That is true, and Barbara’s song is their biggest success in this century so far. However, we cannot deny that ever since 2016, France is doing fine. Maybe not outstanding in every year, but fine. After Amir’s great result at 6th place, no song finished lower than 16th place. Requiem and Mercy might have slightly underperformed from what was projected, but they still got good spots. And what’s equally important, they were loved by fans. Even Bilal managed to squeeze that 16th… Read more »

Last edited 4 months ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

France had the song and it was obvious they set it up as the winner of their national selection. It’s all about the quality of the songs. The JESC victory gave them an impetus for sure, they went to ESC in order to win.

Reply to  Colin

I don’t think the big5 don’t know what makes an entry that can reach a decent result or even a winner.

What I don’t understand is what stops them from wanting to achieve a decent result, which for many is avoiding bottom5. I think they just don’t find value in the contest other than having a few good hours of entertainment for minimum input.

Last edited 4 months ago by Una

I believe that the mindset behind it is wanting not to finish last, instead of wanting to finish first, and paradoxically, that’s the recipe of finishing last. 80% of the time, last songs aren’t the worst ones, but the most overlooked ones. Most of the time, top ten is filled with entries that have a winning factor in them. Shum, La forza, Hatrid mun sigra, Soldi, Lie To Me, ect… All of these songs were aiming for the big win, and even if not everyone can win (obviously), they scored a stellar result for a reason. On the other hand,… Read more »

Jofty
Jofty
Reply to  Colin

I think Germany were in it to win it with Violent Thing by Ben Dolic, not finish 19th. Such a shame.

Reply to  Jofty

I tend to agree here. We’ll never know, but that was likely a left side of the scoreboard song. With that, and 2018 gem in mind, as well Jendrik at least trying out something different, I’d dare to say that Germany is *less* in trouble compared to the UK and Spain, but still, there is a lot of work to do.

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
Reply to  Colin

This makes no sense!!!!! Just abolish the big five entirely. Only the host country gets a free pass to the final the next year.

Last edited 4 months ago by poe-tay-toe-chips
Ted
Ted

The UK were so close to scoring one point. The Polish jury ranked the UK song 11th. Our best televote result came from Malta which ranked the UK song 14th. Breakdown of televotes ranking awarded to the UK: Malta (14th) North Macedonia Lithuania, Albania & Iceland (20th) Australia & Ireland (21st) Denmark, Azerbajan, Estonia, Latvia (22nd) Spain, Ukraine, Neatherlands (23rd) Norway, Serbia, Finland, Germany, San Marino Cyprus, Greece, Croatia(24th) Romania , Slovenia (25th) Bulgaira, Russia, Sweden, Italy, Belgium, Swizerland, France, Moldova, Portugal, Israel, (25th Last place*) Czech republic, Poland (26th Last place) *indicates finalists which can only award to 25… Read more »

Nils
Nils

For Barbara Pravi, this sure was the right year. With less ballads than usual, she stood out even more. But mostly I’m thrilled that Eurovision finally happened to love solid rock music. Despite Måneskin’s odds, I never would have believed they could actually win the televote. Overall this year’s result is a true triumph for genuine artistry. And even though Italy was ‘only’ my number 5, I’m really happy they won. I think I never was so satisfied with the top 10 before. Also, I’m glad Germany got the right punishment. Unfortunately I’m 100 % certain NDR still won’t get… Read more »

Ant
Ant

It was an amazing show! I am grateful to all the contestants and crew for putting together the strongest final in years. Congratulations, Italy !.. at last <3

Short analysis of the evening: I don’t know when we had such a STRONG top ten in a whole. All of these ten songs are 7+ in my rating, with 4 out of top 5 being in my top 5, and one not far behind. Europe showed TASTE! 🙂 My personal winner is still Switzerland, but being 1st in the jury vote, and 3rd in televote is still awesome! A big success, and the best result they had this century! Italy is one of the best winners we had lately, and of genre we haven’t seen winning in a long… Read more »

Reply to  Colin

My personal votes went to Switzerland (several of them), Ukraine (several of them), and to Bulgaria, France, and Germany once. The only reason I didn’t vote for Italy or Belgium in the finals is that my family members did, and there was just so many votes to give. But sure, Italy was deserving of every single vote they got, and I am happy for them.

Jofty
Jofty
Reply to  Colin

I voted for Lithuania, Norway and Serbia (just loved the whole package). I was surprised Lithuania and Norway did not do a little better.

Reply to  Jofty

I voted for Norway and Russia in the semi. I am glad that Manizha scored a top ten result, I wish that Tix scored a bit better too. Lithuania’s 8th place is pretty great, even if, admittedly, I’d be fine with a bit higher result too. Too bad that their 2006 entry still holds the title of the highest rated one. Lithuania had much better songs, including Discoteque. I can see that the 2006 had a way easier competition, but still.

Jofty
Jofty
Reply to  Colin

And oddly the spokesperson was from LT United!

Lola
Lola

I think that the countries who deserved the win the most all ended up in the top 3, so I’m super happy about that! Also Iceland in 4th is so amazing, Ukraine and Finland (2 of my favourites) as 5 and 6 just make this year one of the best resultswise for me! also Russia (another favourite of mine) getting the recognition and ending in the top 10 was a lovely surprise! Oh yeah and last but not least: yaaay for Lithuania as well! Even though they didn’t reach top 5, the competition was so hard and I’m so happy… Read more »

Last edited 4 months ago by Lola
Fassy
Fassy

I just now saw how massive the Sobral score was in 2017. 757 points. Thats all the Italian points yesterday plus the french song juri vote. Insane.

Colono
Colono
Reply to  Fassy

That is something I never get. He was a deserving winner that year, that’s ok. But how on earth he managed to receive that much points, it’s beyond me.

Last edited 4 months ago by Colono
Pozzi
Pozzi
Reply to  Colono

Well there were 3 more countries taking part that year, it explains some of it that. But it’s insane nevertheless and it’s such a beautiful song, very deserving

Maartijn
Maartijn
Reply to  Colono

Because other songs were trash that year, including the runner up. I remember only Belgium as a strong entry.

Sama
Sama

Congratulations Maneskin and Italy,
Rock n’ roll never die !

Last edited 4 months ago by Sama
ESC Fan
ESC Fan

This year had so many good entries and fortunately a nice one has won, congrats Italy, you deserved it! Different from the rest and some really talented guys, I’m on my way to listen to their other songs. Not surprised with Malta or Cyprus as it was a bare imitation of Lizzo and Lady Gaga. Actually shocked as Bulgaria ranked so high in the jury as it’s pretty much a Billie Eilish song, 0 creativity. Still don’t understand how Moldova is 12th, there were better pop songs. Russia should have ranked higher, such a nice original and powerful song!

Viggz
Viggz

My winner was Bulgaria, congratulations Italy to victory, you deserve it!

Michu
Michu
Reply to  Viggz

Bulgaria was your winner for the music video or live performance?

Rosy B
Rosy B

Even though Italy was not my favourite, they were good and no one, no matter how many excuses you find, can deny the fact that a massive televote has confirmed this. It was heatrbreaking for Barbara Pravi, but she took the result like the real professional she is. An eye-opener for most Eurovision fans, who keep pushing their favourites at the cost of slamming others. We have seen that Europe has spoken, and fan favourites are not always what Europe likes. It was interesting to note that the top two placings came from a national selection. I felt sorry for… Read more »

Milan
Milan

The fact that two automatic qualifiers won the first two places while the remaining four automatic qualifiers got the last four places is remarkable, to say the least!

Last edited 4 months ago by Milan
Reply to  Milan

It’s really sad, because Italy in particular always sends the better quality songs (to me, anyway), with France not that far behind. Obviously I’m taking The Netherlands out of the equation but Spain, Germany and us in the UK really need to get their act together. They’ve all been successful in the past but need something real special ‘cos that’s what’s currently separating them from Italy and France.

Last edited 4 months ago by Emily
Reply to  Emily

I mean, we have said the same thing about our acts every year for what… the past 20 years? and the BBC never listens. It’s just disappointing.

Nils
Nils
Reply to  Emily

Same thing over here in Germany. They really got what they deserved.

Sorry for James, though. 0 points in total were way too hard. But yeah, that’s what happens if you send likeable, yet uninspired entries. I’m afraid the BBC and NDR simply don’t bother anymore.

Reply to  Nils

Yup.
I must admit I was disappointed that we got the ol’ nul points again. I expected us to be near the bottom but not last place! Last time we actually tried was in 2017 then it all went down the toilet again. It’s lame.

Last edited 4 months ago by Emily
Iamme
Iamme

I am italian and I got to admit Måneskin probably did not have the best song of the show but for sure they had the best presence, stage and performance. The leader’s charisma, his attitude and the interaction between the members of the band was clear and evident to everybody. That said, my favourite was France altough I recognize it is a bit french old school and recalls some of Piaf’s pieces (esp. Padam padam), while my guilty pleasure was Norway (but please: don’t tell anybody!). The sadest thing is the press, especially the one from “certain” Countries, did waste… Read more »

pooky1001
pooky1001

For the poor guys who have to have a camera stuck in their faces with millions of people watching them while they are told they got 0 points well done for being so gracious in such a cruel situation. I cant say that would be me, i think i would be inclined to smash up the camera!!!

RavensHeart
RavensHeart
Reply to  pooky1001

Well one did splash his pint around! ;P

pooky1001
pooky1001
Reply to  RavensHeart

Ha, ha. I think the cameraman was lucky he didnt get a complete beer shower!!! lol

Reply to  RavensHeart

James was a really good sport when that happened. If that were me, I woulda done the same 😛

Teddy
Teddy

My biggest takeaway is that finally an insipid, poorly written pop song didn’t storm the televote and come top 5. Ukraine, Italy, France making up the top 3 with not a word of English between them should FINALLY show broadcasters that their success lies in being unique and not in paying 7 Swedes to send you a revamped Melfest reject. That being said, betting £100 that Cyprus goes for another female banger.

esc1234
esc1234
Reply to  Teddy

you couldnt have said it better, the revamped melfest reject is a whole genre in eurovision, countries have been buying them FOR YEARS, but now its time to change.

Sverre
Sverre
Reply to  Teddy

8 out of the top 10 wrote their own songs as well. Barring Malta and Greece

Kirby
Kirby
Reply to  Teddy

Hello Malta, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Greece, San Marino ???

Anna
Anna

So what city do you think will host next year?

RavensHeart
RavensHeart

Sadly I think there could be some withdrawals after this. San Marino, Malta, Croatia, Ireland, all feeling robbed.

However pretty sure Australia and UK will still keep turning up.

Teddy
Teddy
Reply to  RavensHeart

This was the hardest year EVER everyone wasn’t going to win and it would be incredibly petty to drop out just because your song wasn’t voted for

Darren
Reply to  Teddy

If you only qualify 1 time in 7 years, then I think a withdrawal is probably the best next step.
For a year or two anyway to focus on restoring a strong delegation.

Teddy
Teddy
Reply to  Darren

The Netherlands did it without withdrawing, so did France, Switzerland, Greece reversed their fortunes this year and Cyprus became successful overnight in 2018. You can find success if you embrace unique songs. Nearly all of the delegations above chose Swedish written songs or had weak vocalists or both.

Maartijn
Maartijn
Reply to  Darren

But you can’t expect qualifying while sending bad songs. Ireland was my winner in 2018 and this year one of my favs but she had the worst vocals following Roxen and the staging didn’t work.

Anna
Anna
Reply to  RavensHeart

If Australia pulls out for a year they will never be welcomed back again so they have no choice but to stay if they want to be in the Eurovision family, UK might do as Italy, pull out a few years and then come back when they are ready.

Denis
Denis
Reply to  RavensHeart

San marino and Croatia have already confirmed.Australia too.Why do people always assume countries want to withdraw because they don’t get the result they want?

L’oiseau
L’oiseau

I am really really happy with the result! Finally my beloved Italy won.!!! Not with a song that I listen to but with obvious quality. I am pretty sure that Zitti e buoni can be a radio hit in Europe. Also very happy with almost all the top 10. Quality and authenticity really pays of, whatever the genre! It’s time that for those states that buy their songs in some Swedish, Russian or American generic supermarket start looking elsewhere for talent. Maybe start checking out local gigs and music houses to find good acts. I am sure you will find… Read more »

Last edited 4 months ago by L’oiseau
ESC8
ESC8

I’ll be really short to what I have to say. First of all congratulations to Italy! Not my cup of tea, but a deserved win. I want to emphasize on the other Big 5 countries, especially to the UK and Spain. Please don’t start bitching about your results. I have to admit that what happened to the UK this year was an injustice, HOWEVER it is a sign that people expect more from the UK than average songs. So please don’t start threatening with withdrawal or don’t start complaining about the Brexit or the Iraq or anything. You’re the 2nd… Read more »

Anna
Anna
Reply to  ESC8

Exactly! I agree with you, Italy was not my cup of tea but glad they finally won at least, they take the competition seriously and that shows each year. UK on the other hand under perform because they have such great artists but see ESC as some kind of joke and it shows in the results and usually mediocre act. France! Finally you found your niche, this is what we want to see! We want to see French, nostalgic, sensual, emotional classic songs from you! Sure you can make it modern like Switzerland as well but yesterday we saw the… Read more »