Måneskin Zitti e buoni Italy Eurovision 2021

On Saturday evening the Twittersphere was alight with allegations that Måneskin’s Damiano David had used drugs in the Eurovision 2021 green room. This was based on some rather scant “evidence”: a video showed the singer leaning down at his table during the voting segment. It was also informed, perhaps, by unfair stereotypes about people involved in rock music.

Well it’s time to turn down the drama and to turn up “Zitti e buoni.” The EBU has now confirmed that Damiano has passed his drug test with flying colours.

This is the official statement from the EBU:

“Following allegations of drug use in the Green Room of the Eurovision Song Contest Grand Final on Saturday 22 May, the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), as requested by the Italian delegation, has conducted a thorough review of the facts, including checking all available footage. A drug test was also voluntarily undertaken earlier today by the lead singer of the band Måneskin which has returned a negative result seen by the EBU.

No drug use took place in the Green Room and we consider the matter closed.

We are alarmed that inaccurate speculation leading to fake news has overshadowed the spirit and the outcome of the event and unfairly affected the band.

We wish to congratulate Måneskin once again and wish them huge success. We look forward to working with our Italian member Rai on producing a spectacular Eurovision Song Contest in Italy next year.”

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by wiwibloggs (@wiwibloggs)

On Sunday Damiano hit back at rumours alleging he was seen using drugs in the Eurovision Green Room. At the Eurovision winner’s press conference, the frontman firmly told media, “I don’t use drugs.”

He added: “[Måneskin guitarist] Thomas broke a glass. I don’t use drugs, please guys. Please don’t say that.” His comments were met with applause, and he went on to add, “Please don’t say that. But really, no cocaine. Don’t say that.”

The group also posted on their Instagram stories, again refuting the claim and emphasising their anti-drugs stance:

“We are really shocked about what some people are saying about Damiamo doing drugs. We really are AGAINST drugs and we never used cocaine. We are ready to get [tested], cause we have nothing to hide. We are here to play our music and we are so happy about our Eurovision win and we wanna thank everyone for supporting us. Rock’n Roll never dies. We love you.”

Read all our Italy Eurovision news here

Richard Hunter
Richard Hunter
1 day ago

I’m surprised the lyrics of the song didn’t cause more controversy. Maybe no one noticed as it’s in Italian, but according to this translation https://www.google.com/search?q=maneskin+lyrics+zitti+e+buoni&oq=maneskin+ly&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0i131i433j0l8.5221j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 it includes the word f**k, as well as mentioning drug dealers and saying there’s no God. Not that I find any of this offensive, but all three of these are surely Eurovision firsts?

Last edited 1 day ago by Richard Hunter
Richard Hunter
Richard Hunter
1 day ago

unfair stereotypes about people involved in rock music” Dunno why, but this made me laugh!

17 days ago

Today the Maneskin are the third most listened to artists in the world and have beaten the likes of Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, The Weeknd, Pink, Coldplay and Bruno Mars. Better than Damiano, Victoria, Ethan and Thomas only BTS and Olivia Rodrigo, current queen of all charts with her debut album. 10 hours ago. historic result for Eurovision

Someone
Someone
18 days ago

Italy deserves to be winner. Love from France. La vostra canzone era incredibile !

Dxp322
18 days ago

Damiano and Maneskin’s reactions though need to stop sounding so f***ing cute and charming or we’re all gonna die.

Fabio
Fabio
19 days ago

… and now a good legal action so that whoever had the idea of saying nonsense to injure the victory of these good guys is satiated and is an example: before speaking connect the brain to the mouth thanks …

dade
dade
19 days ago

For some reason Italy and France like to jeer each other. I think it’s quite normal in a brotherly relationship and these two countries do have that kind of relationship. As an Italian I can just say that Barbara Pravi wrote a beautiful song and had a magical staging. I love Voilà and hope to see a french entry that has the same success, or even more, next year. Can’t wait for next year

FrenchFan
FrenchFan
Reply to  dade

I still don’t get why people say the French started it. We didn’t. Italy won fair and square, they deserve their victory 100% ! And we are all really and genuinely happy with that 2nd place… (and we were never first. Switzerland was way ahead of us with the jury points, we actually thought their song was more appreciated than ours, so there was no way for us to be disappointed with the results… It was a big surprise. And a very pleasant one.) End of story. Yes, a stupid French journalist said Italy should be disqualified if found guilty.… Read more »

Someone
Someone
18 days ago
Reply to  dade

As a french I am super happy for Italy. Love you guys ! La vostra canzone era incredibile ! <3

Aeria
Aeria
19 days ago

Good. Now that’s another bit of unnecessary drama out of the way. Now we can look forward to Eurovision in Italy next year!

Trina
Trina
19 days ago

FFS. Just when I thought there couldn’t possibly be a more mind-blowingly stupid Eurovision Twitter drama than the Tix-Efendi thing.

Time for everyone to pick up their ball, pack up their boots and shin pads, and go quietly home.

ESC Stan
ESC Stan
Reply to  Trina

TBH I thought the effentix thing was cute. This was just harmful.

Jake
Jake
19 days ago

Former chief of Malta delegation is accusing his own country broadcaster of placing bids on the country to boost odds and buying YT views to prop up its entry—are you going to cover this rumor/accusation?

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
Reply to  Jake

I haven’t heard about that, just the comments from Ludwig Galea (ESC 2004) on similar topics. It’s no secret that there were ads for “Je me casse” on YouTube and sponsored posts promoting the entry in international mainstream media (not Eurovision fan media, as far as I know). If you have a link to the former HoD’s accusation, we would be interested to see it! 🙂

Last edited 19 days ago by Robyn Gallagher
Vicky
Vicky
19 days ago

If any of you believed that they did it in front of more than 200 mln viewers, you are delusional. And that is the fact.

ESC Stan
ESC Stan
19 days ago

To all the people demanding Maneskin receive an apology or that there is legal action. Whilst I get the sentiment, from what I’ve seen of Maneskin they would probably want everyone to drop it and let them enjoy their much deserved victory.

Lotus flower
19 days ago

Poor Thomas.. has been blamed for shattering the glass..haha no I didnt mean to offend him, this is just so funny to hear.. what an experience.. I feel like I want to hold him as he arrive in Italy, and smack his head for starting the accident..haha in a lovely way.. like siblings way..haha

ESC Stan
ESC Stan
19 days ago

It was started by a YouTube clip. It was perpetuated by the media. There is a difference but both as bad as each other.

Voix
Voix
Reply to  ESC Stan

He was the one who asked that in the press conference. Thank God Damiano is a class act and didn’t do anything else to him and his stupid hat

Teddie
19 days ago

People who started this viral nothingburger are simply trash, including that swedish “journalist” who actively promoted this bs. Shame.

Erik
Erik
Reply to  Teddie

Yes. I keep saying this when wiwbloggs report about his reveals for the participants of Melodifestivalen every year. I would never use him as my primary source.

Fan eurovision
Fan eurovision
19 days ago

as french eurofans nobody is condoning the false controversy over italy. we love italy and we are happy with the victory of our neighbors and proud to come to italy next year. those who started this controversy are those who don’t like Eurovision and who spit on Barbara all day long to finally say it’s not normal that France does not win. there are a lot of bad guys in france who love to criticize eurovision. we are proud of barbara and Maneskin the real fans

Last edited 19 days ago by Fan eurovision
Reply to  Fan eurovision

I am Italian and I totally endorse your post. But please let me dedicate this marvelous cover by maneskin to Paris Match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wkw7KQgKng

Mameuh
Mameuh
Reply to  matt

I think you are wasting good music on them. 😉

CyxCy
CyxCy
Reply to  matt

I don’t know what Paris Match wrote, but they are by no means representative of the French press. These people have done really terrible things in the past, like stealing the photo of Romy Shneider’s son on his deathbed. It’s the equivalent of tabloids. And in the digital age, they would be ready for anything to still exist. Don’t give to them more important than they deserve.

Reply to  CyxCy

I hope Damiano will, because there is a big amount of money waiting for him in court.

Paris
Reply to  matt

As a french, I would LOVE to see Paris Match being sued (along with some other medias eheh) for their lack of deontology and professionalism ! It’s not the first time they’re involved in some stinky drama like this unfortunately

Vale
Vale
19 days ago

Why I am not surprised he was a Swedish journalist!?

Erik
Erik
Reply to  Vale

Our journalist are doing a good job. This was a reporter from a tabloid magazine and they do a very different kind of job compared to more established news paper. During the pandemic the tabloids ask our authorities questions such as: “there’s a lot of singles out there, how should we have Covid-safe sex” etc.
It doesn’t say something about Swedish journalists in general.

Berta
Berta
19 days ago

sorry for off topic but its kinda related to Maneskin anyway It sad to see how some crazy Italians stans (bc most of them are sweethearts) writing not very polite comments under Kateryna’ Insta post and being angry with her after Kate posted pic of her and Gjon siting together on the couch with caption from Kateryna ‘my winner’. folks, are seriously attacking artist for liking someone more than your winner? if you would know better Kateryna and Gjon are dear friends for almost 1.5 years, they have a history, leave queen alone, she just supports and protects her little… Read more »

Last edited 19 days ago by Berta
Nick
Nick
Reply to  Berta

on Twitter hundreds of Maneskin stans gone crazy over that cute pic and blamed Kateryna of betrayal since they shiping Damiano with her, wondering how old are these folks, 15? they made up a whole love triangle drama which is ridiculous bc Kateryna’ heart belongs to her iconic cat Kotyk lol

Sven
Sven
Reply to  Nick

Kateryna is iconic queen of this Eurovision and the kindest soul , and some fans are just silly clowns who have no other things to do but bother artists with nonsensical accusations

Berta
Berta
Reply to  Berta

Their friendship probably the most unexpected thing I would ever see coming , they like from a different planets,lol
Blind Channel guys, Maneskin and the Roop their mates too which was expected
but Gjons is a really the most dearest and true friend for Kateryna of all contestants which is cute and adorable especially knowing how long they been communicated before meet in person, over 1,5 year…. I’m sobbing

Last edited 19 days ago by Berta
Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Berta

Kateryna probably has a protective, almost motherly aura that could be quite welcoming for a young performer like Gjon.

19 days ago

the lowest point this fandom has ever reached

Anhel
Anhel
Reply to  Jo.

Couldn’t agree more. Even my mother who’s a casual viewer asked me about this today and said it’s all over the media. Ridiculous and ugly.

Aan Gomes Branco
Aan Gomes Branco
Reply to  Anhel

Same. Disgusting.

Peter
Peter
19 days ago

OMG people are so naive. Even if the test was positive, who would want to give that information to the public?!?!?! It wouldn’t help EBU or Eurovision image, so NOONE would want that… 😀 I’m not a hater, I just find it funny when people or fans write “end of story” because they probably believe that it’s definitely the end of topic. Even if it weren’t, you would not get to know that, nobody would.

Reply to  Peter

your post shows exactly how and why fake news are created.

Last edited 19 days ago by matt
Roodi
Roodi
Reply to  Peter

Test was negative confirmed by EBU who are neutral.Zitti e buoni reached 9 on Spotify global they are doing good go hate hater they are making money what are you doing in your life hating on people on internet.

Erik
Erik
Reply to  Roodi

Hate is such a strong word and I wish it was stopped being used like this. I know even two ESC-song this year used the word this way. Some people might dislike others and spread very mean things about other people. The ones who always press like are called followers. The opposite should be called dislikes or similar. Hate crime is not even near disliking. Hating someone is detesting them with your whole body. Getting strong negative feelings about them etc. It does not belong here. Using there kind of words about people who dislike some people is making sure… Read more »

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier
Reply to  Erik

you are confusing hate with hate crime. trust me, those two things are not the same.

Roodi
Roodi
Reply to  Erik

did you read the comment of peter that was literly disgusting so yes i have the right to call him a hater.

Vicky
Vicky
Reply to  Peter

You have won a trophy for the most ridiculuos comment.

Taco
Taco
18 days ago
Reply to  Peter

And this is why fake news is so harmful, whatever they do (Maneskin or the EBU) to come up with evidence , there will always be people like you, who rather believe fake stories then believe a guy who said he did not do it, and voluntairly had a test to prove it.
Shame on you Peter.

Sonam
Sonam
19 days ago

Italy is constantly serving quality. How are they rewarded? With a scandalous and disgraceful 6th place from the juries for one of the best entries in eurovision history a few years ago and a character assassination, the day they succeed their deserved victory. I really hope and wish all this (bad) publicity turns in Maneskin’s favor eventually and they become worldwide stars

pastel de nata
pastel de nata
Reply to  Sonam

I think it will! 😉

Nadors
Nadors
Reply to  Sonam

It was a 4th place and contributed to the victory

Hancko
Hancko
Reply to  Nadors

He’s talking about Il Volo.

Sonam
Sonam
Reply to  Hancko

exactly, thank u

19 days ago

I just wish that after all these articles on such a fake story, wiwibloggs could make a new one about the Wiwijam’s video with Maneskin singing “i wanna be your slave” being the most watched video ever on their youtube channel and “zitti e buoni ” being number 9 on the daily Global spotify chart

Last edited 19 days ago by matt
Anhel
Anhel
Reply to  matt

Also their performance got 20 million views in less than a day 🙂

Florence Petit
Florence Petit
19 days ago

As a French, i never believed in these allegations, and even if they were true,,i would never have asked for the destitution of Maneskin. They truly deserved victory no matter what, and at our end we are delighted with our second place. I am a huge fan of Italy at Eurovision, Mahmood is my favorite artist, and we cannot wait to see the show next year being held in Italy. Well done Maneskin!

Janei
Janei
19 days ago

This whole situation was very disrespectful to them. Their song was the best for many people who voted for them, but instead of joy they won drug test. Shame on you people, it’s very easy to ruin someone’s reputation by saing lies and rumors.

Andreu
Andreu
19 days ago

Sone people need to stop making this France vs Italy because really it is not. One politician making false narratives does not mean the whole country thinks the same way. You should not be blaming anything on the French representative or delegation as they already specified that they never had and never will intent on challenging Italy’s win. Don’t understand how some are pointing fingers at France when the issue is more with the press and media. And keep in mind this circulated not just in French media but also in UK, US, Belgium, etc. It is unfortunate that because… Read more »

Vale
Vale
Reply to  Andreu

Actually also the EBU didn’t help at all. Saying that we are going to investigate, it is like implying a crime was committed. They didn’t say we are going to look at it, or just quickly check the many CCTV, I am sure, they had.
It was quicker Damiano to return to Italy and take a test, than the EBU check the CCTV. Plus Damiano offered to take a test, the same day of the victory, but EBU said no. SO I guess EBU handled this in a very bad way.

Last edited 19 days ago by Vale
John
John
19 days ago

I wish that next year ,during the voting of Ogae clubs,only a few countries were not favored,beacause then the fun loses its charm. Likewise bookmakers ,the same countries every year.

I congratulate Italy ,France or Switzerland and others,

Maybe in a year my country Poland ,will be promoted.

19 days ago

Well, my original comment is awaiting for approval (it’s been a while the filter hadn’t targeted me). In short: this was a non-story from the beggining and it’s a pity we know those who fueled it won’t pay for it. All my love to Damiano, Maneskin and Barbara Pravi, who deserve to be celebrated by their achievements and not dragged into a pointless media circus.

19 days ago

And on his personal twitter account damiano posted the EBU statement commenting it with one word: VOILA’. Sorry my dear french friends, but he is king.

Last edited 19 days ago by matt
Reply to  matt

And like the Maltese fans with Destiny, now the French fans and their awful attitude are damaging Barbara, when she did nothing wrong. Congratulations, toxic communities, you’re doing the worst job possible!

Mameuh
Mameuh
Reply to  Alex

Not the french fans. French fans mainly ARE asking for excuses from the press.

La Signora
La Signora
19 days ago

The smart ones already knew that those accusations are false. I personally love France, I love French poeple and French music, my favourite singer ever is french and I absolutely HATE my Italian connationals hating french people because of a few idiots there. The bad seeds are in every family and we have to stop (italians and frenchies) to fight over stupid things since we are basically cousins.
P.S. Thanks to the Frenchies for the televote’s 10 points

Erik
Erik
Reply to  La Signora

You don’t see the role you play in this? Why hate people who hate others. Spread the message of love instead.

Hugs
Erik

19 days ago

The whole thing was so idiotic… Maybe it started as a mean social media joke based on stereotypes about rockers and it was just what the lunatics needed to make up another fake version of the reality in their troubled minds. Then the press, avid for clicks and ratings, jumped on it, with the fake excuse of “digging for the truth”. Giving voice to lunatics without facts to endorse their views is exactly what’s making the world such a bizarre place these days. In an ideal world, those who spreaded lies would have to pay for them. I hope at… Read more »

Last edited 19 days ago by Sabrina
Kenny03
Kenny03
19 days ago

I have seen a lot of people ‘cancelling France’ and saying they’ve now lost twice. Please stop and respect all the competing artists and the vast majority of people in the country. By all means, call out specific people, but do not bring down Barbara etc

Justin
Justin
Reply to  Kenny03

Yes, Barbara is a fantastic and one of the fairest artist I’ve never seen, she went yesterday to the television news to say that the result is clear, and that Italy merits its win. She does the same thing on Instagram where she congratulates Italy.

She was, as well as Maneskin, a great addition to this year’s contest.

Matt
Matt
19 days ago

Haters gonna hate, no matter if the drug test says NEGATIVE, they will still continue with their toxicity and negativity towards Måneskin and Damiano in general..

They are the rightful and well deserved winners, after a very hard year for all of us, they are a breath of fresh air and Europe needed this to move forward and to look forward to something exciting and forget Rona for a bit..

One more time, congrats Italia, am already packing my bags for next year and looking forward to another amazing show.. Ciao.. 😉

Last edited 19 days ago by Matt
19 days ago

negative drug test!!!! VOILÀ!

Dutchfan
Dutchfan
19 days ago

I gotta be honest I was suspicious for a little while, but now the opposite is proven and I fully believe it.
Italy is still a terrible winner for me – don’t get me wrong, they are talented, their music is just as far away from my taste as it can be-
But they’ve got the most points and therefor are the rightful winners. Congrats Italy!

Last edited 19 days ago by Dutchfan
Kenny03
Kenny03
Reply to  Dutchfan

I’m not sure why this comment has been downvoted as much as it has

Reply to  Kenny03

He was actually suspicious even for a while.

Eugenie
Eugenie
Reply to  Sour puss

Everybody has a right to believe in something. Doubt is a normal part of analysis process. If you don’t doubt, you don’t think.

Reply to  Eugenie

And everyone has a right not to like it. Or to like it, as it seems.

Esc addict
Esc addict
19 days ago

I just let that here, you take this how you want, but french viewers and fans have given 10 points of televote to Maneskin.

Reply to  Esc addict

I gave one vote to France and I want it back.

CyxCy
CyxCy
Reply to  Sour puss

We would have given it back to you in exchange for proof of your intelligence, unfortunately we haven’t found any.

Reply to  CyxCy

A French bully, nice

Jinbeizaki
Jinbeizaki
Reply to  Esc addict

I hope that Maneskin gets that it’s not all French people who are sore losers, we LOVE them and they’re the worthy winner! They won the televote while France didn’t nor did it win the jury. If we had won this way it would have been horrible!

SeNhiT
SeNhiT

Bruh-
This whole situation with the accusations wasn’t nessecary, shame on the jealousy coming from toxic sources.
A well deserved Italian victory!

Dawid
Dawid

Hot news: Water is wet.

Whoever thought that may be the case should visit certain medical specialist. Be it ophthalmologist or psychiatrist.

Roodi
Roodi
19 days ago

off topic zitti e buoni is 9 on spotify global chart.

Paul
Paul
19 days ago

Everywhere else just not the green room!!

Gippa
Gippa
Reply to  Paul

Yeah, because if you snort outside the green room that doesn’t work for drug tests.
edit: typo

Last edited 19 days ago by Gippa
Vale
Vale
Reply to  Paul

EBU checked other CCTV videos. Your words are slander.

Gigliolalovelygirl
Gigliolalovelygirl
19 days ago

Now the haters can shut up! Hopefully italy and maneskin can now enjoy the victory of a country that has deserved to win eurovision for much more than three times!

Yes france was fantastic! But Italy was simply better ? FORZA ITALIAA!! ??

19 days ago

How many articles did you guys wrote with this no-notice? Just damaging this guy that did NOTHING. Shame to the press, this is not professional! You shouldn’t follow the social media games just because users are talking!

Sama
Sama

Parla la gente purtroppo
Parla non sa di che cosa parla
Tu portami dove sto a galla
Che qui mi manca l’aria …

Heartbeater
Heartbeater
20 days ago

Finally this drug crap is over because it hard to believe that they would get past security and do it on camera like why are people so salty just let them enjoy their win

Lilyviews
Lilyviews
Reply to  Heartbeater

I genuinely believe some people are just jealous and can’t handle how attractive and talented a lot of people find the band members. I knew the test would be negative and Im happy that the case is closed and they now get to just enjoy their victory!

Patrick
Patrick
20 days ago

What a disgrace to these “so called eurovision fans” that tried to ruin their reputation!!!!!

Bouke
Bouke
20 days ago

and now let them celebrate their much deserved win!

Ric
Ric
20 days ago

At least it is done. As an Italian I’m satisfied because in all our TV news and live interviews yesterday this topic basically never came up, everyone just wanted to keep the spotlight only on their achievement, as it was supposed to be.

20 days ago

honestly believe that the French politician hates Italy as most French do not want to lose against Italy. honestly I’m sorry because we Italians love France! but some people don’t like that Italy can win every now and then! Don’t worry, another 30 years will pass to win, so you have plenty of time to win Eurovision

Rogesc
Rogesc
Reply to  Alex

Don’t make this bigger, it’s not about countries hating each other. It’s just a sour queen from the French government who wanted to sit front row next year in Paris. He needs to get a grip, get a life and get over it

Esc addict
Esc addict
Reply to  Alex

Fake news, French people love Italy, stop this useless drama.

Vale
Vale
Reply to  Alex

The British newspapers were worse than the French ones to slander Maneskin and Italy. Actually French people voted Maneskin.

Last edited 19 days ago by Vale
nycforever
nycforever
Reply to  Vale

British cheap tabloids slader everything now and then. They’re famous for it. Nothing new. It’s their job to spread dirt.

Cbl
Cbl
Reply to  Alex

Noi italiani amiamo i francesi? Ma che ti fumi? Ahajahahahhahahaha

Last edited 19 days ago by Cbl
Iamme
Iamme
Reply to  Cbl

Personalmente amo la Francia e così anche tutti quelli che conosco

Reply to  Cbl

Pure io amo la Francia e ho molti amici francesi che amano l Italia

Vale
Vale
Reply to  Cbl

Anche io amo la Francia.

Last edited 19 days ago by Vale
Lorenzo Celli
Lorenzo Celli
20 days ago

Never had the slightest doubt

20 days ago

An expected result. I am glad for Damiano, Maneskin, and Italy. Now apology is in order from those who made this so called ”scandal”.

Reply to  Colin

An apology is not enough. Legal action!

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Sour puss

I admittedly am not familiar with civil code jurisdictions, but I don’t think this meets the threshold for defamation, not least because most people called BS on this even before the test.

Rogesc
Rogesc
20 days ago

Can we all shut up now and accept that Italy won fair and square. It wasn’t my favorite either, but it is not a trash song and they won with big numbers.

Italy should make it snow during Maneskins interval act next year and snort it all of the stage with a middle finger in the air

Last edited 20 days ago by Rogesc
Reply to  Rogesc

this would be great!!..Unfortunately for Eurovision, I think that it is more likely that the french act will be booed as hell by Italians in 2022.

Last edited 20 days ago by matt
Iamme
Iamme
Reply to  matt

…then I think you don’t know much about italians. Nobody will boo anybody: italians will gladly enjoy and support each single artist!

Reply to  Iamme

We might have different opinions, but one of yours is clearly wrong cause I am an Italian. And the press here will revamp this story next year. Bets are open.

Last edited 19 days ago by matt
Reply to  Iamme

I want Italy to italexit from ESC.

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  matt

Only if they send something like You Are the Best in Me (France really benefitted from the cancellation of 2020)

pastel de nata