Lesley Roy James Newman Song Celebration
Photo: EBU / Thomas Hanses / Andres Putting

It’s being billed as a special programme that will showcase and honour all the hard work the 39 Eurovision 2021 acts put into their live-on-tape performances. However, two countries will not air their backups for Rotterdam during the Eurovision Song CelebrationIreland and the United Kingdom.

The absence of the two countries has triggered some fans, with several channeling their frustrations directly at Lesley Roy and James Newman on social media. This behaviour prompted Lesley to hit back at the trolls in a series of tweets.

Eurovision Song Celebration will not feature live-on-tapes from Ireland or the UK

Ahead of Friday’s first episode dedicated to the eliminated semi-finalists, Eurovision organisers have confirmed that we won’t see the back-up recordings for either Ireland’s Lesley Roy or the UK’s James Newman. The official website writes: “Neither the MAPS or Embers Live-on-Tape performance will feature in the Eurovision Song Celebration shows, as both artists want the live performance they delivered in Rotterdam to be the version that people remember”. It adds that Lesley and James will still appear in the shows.

That means that fans will see 37 never before seen live-on-tape performances, along with Australia’s backup which aired during semi-final one. You’ll recall that these were made to be used in the event that an act couldn’t travel to the Netherlands, as happened with Montaigne. The show will be fronted by Finland’s Krista Siegfrids. Episode one is set for Friday 28 May at 21:00 CEST. The second episode will follow on Saturday 29 May at 21:00 CEST.

Eurovision Song Celebration episode one — eliminated semi-finalists

21. Norway / TIX – Fallen Angel
  22. The Netherlands / Jeangu Macrooy – Birth of a New Age
  23. Italy / Måneskin – Zitti E Buoni
  24. Sweden / Tusse – Voices
  25. San Marino / Senhit – Adrenalina

Ireland’s Lesley Roy hits back at Twitter trolls

On Friday morning, Lesley tweeted: “Trolls, Not sure what the issues are re:live on tape ? You guys didn’t like the performance of maps, remember? last in semi final1, a NQ, ring any bells?!”. She ended the message with an emoji of a woman shrugging. This appears to be in response to people sending her nasty tweets about her absence from the Eurovision Song Celebration.

The tweet quickly spread with many taking it as an attack on the Eurovision fandom at large. Lesley soon followed up with a second more detailed statement.  “Ehh I don’t think my joke translated”, she wrote along with a grimacing face emoji. “Ahh let me clarify, to all the amazing ppl that did support Maps my previous tweet was NOT directed at you. I was just shocked/confused by the uproar of no live tape from the ongoing haters. I am SO grateful to those of you who have supported Maps & I see you! I will be sharing a new song w/ you VERY soon ! ❤️”.

Lesley added further context to the situation in her replies. Writing to one fan, she says “I ADORE the fans soo much they are amazing and Ive tried to interact with them in every way I possibly can for over a year. I was just shocked at people who DONT like me/maps that wanted to see the tape . That was all that I meant .” In a now deleted tweet, the singer also revealed that she had been receiving “some pretty scary direct messages” in the days since Eurovision.

Irish broadcaster RTÉ has not responded to the matter publicly. However, Lesley is not the first Irish act to be trolled on social media. In 2019, Sarah McTernan received torrents of abusive messages for travelling to Israel.

Meanwhile, at the time of writing, neither the UK delegation nor James Newman have commented on his absence.

Will you be watching the song celebration? Will you miss Lesley and James? Let us know below.

dxi
dxi

Jesus, people need to leave Lesley alone. I totally get their reasoning behind withholding the live on tapes. Michael Kealy, Ireland’s HoD, also expressed before that he really wanted Lesley to perform live since the tape wouldn’t do her justice. So, just enjoy the live performance and leave it at that 🙂 Love you, Lesley!

Torry
Torry

I’ve seen lots of comments on various blogs criticising Lesley and James for this decision. Do we know it was actually their decisions? Maybe it was RTE/BBC or their management??
Lesley and James both actively participated in the pre contest events and James has said how much he loved the experience and the fans even after coming last. I can’t imagine their absence at the live on tape specials being because they feel bitter or want to throw their toys out

Jamie
Jamie

Stop the trolls, wiwi.

Last edited 6 months ago by Jamie
MartyMcCu
MartyMcCu

Ireland and UK are not happy with fans and the ‘trolls’. My observation relates to those who continuously criticise. There is a big difference between those who are professionals and have a career in journalism and those who just speak what they say without thinking and without any journalism experience. It’s easy to set up a website and a blog, but it is a task and a half to maintain it, sustain it, and capture the attention of others and ensure followers are influenced as well making sure one is objective, open minded and impartial to opinion. Influence is a… Read more »

Last edited 6 months ago by MartyMcCu
Hello hi
Hello hi

Lesley comes across as lovely and down to earth . Her biggest problem is getting involved with RTE and doing Eurovision. She wasn’t suitable for a big stage

My favourite live-on-tape were hands down NORTH MACEDONIA, DENMARK and CZECHIA. Latvia was pretty good too. I didn’t like the wig and the outfit, but the whole thing was very OK. The graphics looked better than in the semi, imuo, as in more tight and put together.

I enjoyed tremendously some segments of Australia and I’m enjoying the song a lot. Congrats to Montaigne, dancers, choreos, and TV people!

Romania doesn’t know what Eurovision is anymore, they’ve lost the plot.

Veta
Veta
Reply to  Whisker

Ouch! your passage about Romania is pretty harsh.

Brett Young
Brett Young
Reply to  Whisker

North Macedonia’s staging on the tape was way better than the live one: they often overdo it with the staging by doing something unnecessary (it still would not have qualified but the reflected mirrorball was a gimmick didn’t add any value.

Dawid
Dawid

Lesley is salty she got last place. That post makes her look bad if anything. That’s why she deleted it. Weird thing to be praised for, but you do you.

Charli Cheer Up
Charli Cheer Up

I still feel bad that Ireland didn’t qualify because Maps is still my jam. Sure the performance was a hot mess near the end but the song is still beautiful. If I have to guess why Lesley doesn’t want to show the pre-tapped is because its very similar to the actual ESC performance so no point and on top of that lots of negative trolls bullying her. Hope she doesn’t give up on her music and Ireland will help embrace her!

Aaljan
Aaljan

Lesley is just punishing her fans, the trolls couldn’t care less about her live on tape, this is Lesley being bitter and very immature, same with James, very very bad look.

jojo
jojo
Reply to  Aaljan

No because plenty of haters and non-fans like to criticize and bash certain artists/acts.

Robert

I feel like people don’t realize when they’re being nasty and negative.. An honest opinion can feel like just that but if you throw in some sass and side eye kind of comment you’re just being nasty and shady.. People do that with an ease that makes me wanna throw up.. Be kind

Young At Heart In Austin Tx
Young At Heart In Austin Tx
Reply to  Robert

It’s called sarcasm. It’s a coping mechanism. If her second clarifying tweet was part of the first sarcastic one, she wouldn’t be having this issue. I’m still listening to and enjoying MAPS, GOLD, and the rest of her back catalog.

I fully respect James’ and Lesley’s wishes, but I am surprised. What do the have to lose? Each finished last on their evening, so these tape performances are unlikely to damage their reputations. And if Samanta Tina was brave enough to show her mess on tape, than I see no reason why others wouldn’t. I see why she was so adamant of performing live. Despite finishing last, her actual semi performance was much better.
I strongly disapprove of bullying the artists. The don’t owe us anything.

Last edited 6 months ago by Colin
Colono
Colono

Good.

We didn’t have to watch her mess one more time.

Reply to  Colono

ESC fans full of love as per usual I see…

Reply to  Colono

Not good. Don’t you get it? There will be no more artists for ESC if they all get hated out of the room.

Colono
Colono
Reply to  Purple Mask

Talent always wins hun. Look how we all are supporting Maneskin. There’ll be always good examples for those who want to be a part of the show in future. We just don’t need sore losers, it is what it is.

Europotato
Europotato
Reply to  Colono

Yeah that’s exactly the way to go about it. No wonder why artists shy away from Eurovision. With people like you giving these ridiculous immature opinions. I wanna say that opinions like yours fall flat and don’t hurt acts reading them because I think your opinion is a load of … but unfortunately they do, they’re humans who put so much effort into their craft for people to enjoy. Annoying how people like you are allowed to watch it. Grow up ffs ????

Fatima
Fatima

I really enjoyed last night’s films and missed seeing Ireland. I’ll feel the same about the UK tonight. I wonder exactly why they made the decision not to join in. Surely none of the above constitutes trolling.

Reply to  Fatima

Apparently they are so proud of their Eurovision performances they don’t want to show their lesser loved back ups – obviously they weren’t as pleased with them. I know James Newman’s was filmed on the Comic Relief stage in teh BBC studios, so that may have been a factor for his one.

Fatima
Fatima
Reply to  Euroboitoy

But these were performances which were supposed to be competitive, if the worst came to the worst. They can’t have been that bad. Eurovision fans are the losers.

jojo
jojo
Reply to  Fatima

Maybe they’ve had enough criticism & don’t want to hear more nitpicking or what they or their team did wrong.

Raussen
Raussen

Lol it is so childish, and you all said that James handled good his lose, apparently not

Tenten Rurapente
Tenten Rurapente
Reply to  Raussen

Handled it better than your English, apparently.

Reply to  Raussen

What’s childish of being so proud of your live performance that you’d rather your sub-standard performance is not revealed and the legacy of your main performance lives on?

Vytautas
Vytautas

I wonder why there is a complete silence from the EBU and eurofans about the fact that Eurovision 2021 lost around half of its regular viewers, huh? Eurovision Grand Final usually is watched by some 220M viewers. As of today, we know that the GF was watched by some 64,4M Europeans. We’re still missing data from Albania, Azerbaijan, Croatia, Georgia, Israel, Malta, Moldova, North Macedonia, San Marino and Slovenia which can add up some 38,4M viewers (if 100% of their population would have watched – impossible). So yeah, I think we can assume that ESC this year had a huge… Read more »

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Vytautas

That wouldn’t flag with how well the songs have charted though? Maybe people just accessed the youtube stream via VPNs?

Vytautas
Vytautas
Reply to  Azaad

Grand Final has some 11M views on Youtube, okay. As for charts, let’s see based on the spot their won. I think these numbers are quite low for a year when everyone expected people to sit next to the TV and watch the contest. Or are these numbers okay? #01 Italy (37.52M) #02 France (9.76M) #03 Switzerland (5.95M) #04 Iceland (2.07M) #05 Ukraine (9.22M) #06 Finland (3.27M) #07 Malta (1.26M) #08 Lithuania (2.49M) #09 Russia (3.48M) #10 Greece (1.79M) #11 Bulgaria (0.26M) #12 Portugal (0.47M) #13 Moldova (1.15M) #14 Sweden (1.18M) #15 Serbia (2.35M) #16 Cyprus (1.33M) #17 Israel (0.65M)… Read more »

Last edited 6 months ago by Vytautas
Nicolas
Nicolas
Reply to  Vytautas

11M aftershow now, live I think it was from 200,000 to 500,000 if I remember.

Ben
Ben
Reply to  Vytautas

You’re confusing different things. That 64M figure is the average audience, the 200M they always mention is the ‘reach’, which is the amount of people that watched at least part of it.

Last edited 6 months ago by Ben
Ant
Ant
Reply to  Vytautas

This year I got an impression that even many non-fans got really interested. We were 9 people watching from the youtube stream, some of my friends had their watch parties. I only know a few people who watched alone. You’ll need to wait to see the final number, which I feel is going to be above 200M

Ted
Ted

well from the “semi” show my 12 points go to Australia,
10 points to Poland (for the staging only)

Dawid
Dawid
Reply to  Ted

Hey, Poland was pretty good if you ignored dude in sunglasses

That doggie in the window
That doggie in the window

Funny how the moderators of this website deleted my post criticising the way they have let hate and toxicity fester on this website for years. They can’t handle the truth. How about you spend more time focusing on deleting hateful posts towards artists than truthful ones?

Liv
Liv

This comment section is full to the brim with vileness, toxicity, disrespect and rude entitlement. Look at yourselves. They owe you nothing. Respect their wishes. It’s a video. If they dont want to show it then dont attack them for that decision. These artists are being attacked and bullied. DMed by pathetic bullies telling them to kill themselves and worse. Maybe they just do not want to give those sad bullies more ammo. Idk. But what I do know is that nothing justified some of the disgusting comments here.

Reply to  Liv

The artists’ wishes have been respected so far. I don’t know the extent of the awful messages they have received. If it is really as bad as you have stated, there would be no point continuing with Eurovision at all, as no artist would want to sign up for that treatment.
N.B. This is not the way I wanted to end the season. It appears that the ESC has quite a serious problem to tackle.

Reply to  Purple Mask

It’s well known how toxic some in the fandom can be at times.

Last edited 6 months ago by Darren
Ray
Ray
Reply to  Liv

It’s called freedom of expression. Just because they are not little facists who want to censor every comment that they don’t like. Grow up.

Rachieee
Rachieee

It’s just another way the UK is alienating themselves from the fun, spirit and togetherness of the contest. I kind of understand where Lesley is coming from. The staging was epic innherbsemi final performance and it may have been of a lower standard in her live recording. Despite this the trolls need to take several seats.

Reply to  Rachieee

Or maybe people can just respect James Newman and Lesley Roy’s decisions.

Yanis
Yanis

If they don’t want their backup performances to be shown then they don’t, and we should respect their decision wheter we wanted to see their performances or not.

omg so many live on tape performances were better than the live ones what a mess!!! Poland, Romania, Croatia…

Anyway, Ireland and UK are losers. Why would you forbid EBU from showin your live-on-tape?

Lesley didn’t handle it well, rule number one: don’t answer or pay attention to haters. However, i think Lesley calls haters those who openly said that her live show was disappointing which was!

Reply to  Alex

Ireland and UK are losers?

I’m sure both Lesley and James have accomplished way more than you. In fact, I know they have.

Esc fan
Esc fan
Reply to  Darren

Alex thinks that he knows it all and others are losers in his opinion. I wonder who is the loser.

Reply to  Esc fan

lol oh wow you got your cookie and you got a life.

Reply to  Darren

Oh give me a break. UK and Ireland are losers meaning the broadcasters, not the artists per se. Calm down Karen.

Giolo
Giolo
Reply to  Alex

I was going to put a like before I read the loser thing.

I agree that Ireland and UK should have let fans watch the live on tape, as it’s not fair for the Eurofans, but hating on them won’t bring us those performances, so we should just enjoy the performances other artists agreed on showing us and show some respect to everybody.

Reply to  Giolo

I am not hating on the performers but the broadcasters. Guys you’re really sensitive, seriously…

Reply to  Alex

I don’t like Lesley’s performance was disappointing. One of the most structured visual performances this year – just wouldn’t translate well for those in the arena. Vocally not as spot on as she would have liked, the same with James…but neither have anything to be embarrased about. Maybe both feel their live on tape performances were not of the calibre they would have liked, henceforth the reason for not wanting them broadcast. I mean, poor James had to record his on a stage which wasn’t constructed for him, but for a TV Charity show.

Reply to  Euroboitoy

Lesley’s performance was very bad, vocally espoecially. Let’s be honest. I love the song and Lesley but i was very disappointed and the public was right to give her the last place because the other acts were better overall.

pooky1001
pooky1001

Love Lesleys response, even if it was only supposed to be a joke. Why does anyone care if they share the performance or not. The fans made it perfectly clear they didnt like Ireland and the UK songs but now some fans are moaning that they dont see a different performance of them so they can then b*itch and moan about that one also. There just isnt any pleasing some people.

Reply to  pooky1001

1. What about the genuine fans of Lesley?
2. What about the full set of recordings for historians 50 years from now?
Some things are bigger than cheap jokes on Twitter.

pooky1001
pooky1001
Reply to  Purple Mask

If they were genuine fans of Lesley they would support her decision not question it. There is absolutely no need for anyone to feel they have the right to abuse someone on social media for a decision that they made.

Reply to  pooky1001

I think you’re missing the point. Her rights are not at question, and of course have been respected. But as a genuine fan of Lesley, I think seeing more of her would be good. Haters have nothing to do with me or the fandom. From my perspective: She’s giving the haters what they want, not the fans. That’s very sad. And, the cheap shot on Twitter is a low point. Hopefully one day we will get to see the recording. It’s important to history, if nothing else.

Last edited 6 months ago by Purple Mask
Reply to  Purple Mask

I’m not sure it’s really that important if it was never used. I’d prefer to see the jury performances, which count for half the result.

Reply to  Jonas

Agreed over more transparency on what the jury sees. I don’t understand why it’s a different show than what the TV audience sees.

Giolo
Giolo
Reply to  Purple Mask

I can’t underatand the downvoting under all of your comments. Your points are really valid and I completely agree.

Oh, about the jury thing, yes it’s unfair, but I guess they do because they won’t have to calculate jury results on the day of the Semi-Final/Grand Final and they don’t waste precious time

Last edited 6 months ago by Giolo
Reply to  Giolo

Thanks.

drama queens

jojo
jojo
Reply to  Jo.

Or maybe they don’t want more drama – more criticism on what they did wrong or didn’t improve or what they had better but made worse. They have a right to distance themselves from their very disappointing Eurovision experiences. True fans would seek more their non-Eurovision work.

Dolly
Dolly

Eurovision 2021 is over , let’s put the contest to bed for 5 months

Reply to  Dolly

with albania at christmas thats really all it is!

Dolly
Dolly

Reply to  paul

honestly who’s watching albania’s borefest…

Savvas
Savvas

I think Romamia’s staging in live on tape was much better than in Rotterdam. It is a pity Romamia stayed in the semi finals

PaysBart
PaysBart
Reply to  Savvas

Agree I thought the same!

Fionn
Fionn
Reply to  PaysBart

I actually loved Polands too

Oy oy
Oy oy

Dear Lesley! Embrace the love! Forget the haters! ??

Jar
Jar

Sigh I hate the toxic fans who actually go to artists personal socials and send hate.. how pathetic and entitled.

No wonder why Lesley or James don’t want to give those types more ammo.

I pity her cuz her live on tape was prob filmed under the stairs at RTE studio with a handheld camera and a torch costing 10 euros for the space for one hour.

Ieva
Ieva

I must say this performance of Rafal was much more polished (pun not intended).

Nearly all looked half-done. However, the level of production in Rotterdam was very high.

1. I was positively surprised by Austria.
  2. I enjoyed Czechia a lot – what to do, I really like Benny and the song.
  3. Georgia – nice to see the backings on stage!!
  4. Denmark – I am still shocked that they didn’t qualify. Only nine jury points vs Mr K. The biggest injustice of the contest. Eighty points from televote were not enough. Kom så Danmark. <3
Giolo
Giolo

Totally agree with point 4. Fyr og Flamme should have been in the final instead of a certain Mr. K

Leo M
Leo M

Disappointed we couldn’t see the back up of Ireland’s performance. Surely it could not be worse than the semi performance

Reply to  Leo M

I loved it and I love Lesley, there I said it.. I respect the decision made

Whoareyou?
Whoareyou?

People praising the vocals of the performances tonight, spoiler alert: they are enhanced.

Nicolas
Nicolas
Reply to  Whoareyou?

And too many pre-recorded vocals covering the voices.

Reply to  Whoareyou?

The main vocals for all singers were their live ones…they had 3 times to perform fully and chose the best performance. The backing vocals were allowed to be pre-recorded. So no spoiler alert there #TheMoreYouKnow.

Robert

Unpopular opinion perhaps but I love both Amen songs..

Darren

Reading the comments on here is actually disgusting.
The hatred and toxic attitude some of you have towards James and Lesley, or even UK and Ireland as countries is actually disgusting.
Are you really so concerned because two videos are not included in a YouTube compilation video? REALLY!??
I think that says more about y’all then it does about James Newman and Lesley Roy.
As an Irish man it’s nice to feel the warmth and welcoming attitude from the comments, I must say.
These are people, with feelings.

Reply to  Darren

Do not worry baby, they are just jealous because Ireland holds the biggest record of wins, as for all those who slander Ireland, first of all your country will bring 6 wins and then you Can talk.

Reply to  lin

I’m not jealous. I am proud of my country’s 5 wins and 15 2nd places.

I just would have loved to seen what they would have brought to the table had their journey taken a turn for the worst. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reply to  Euroboitoy

No need for hatful comments toward Ireland and U.K. Its only music , I’m sure they will bring good songs next year.
by the way I like this year both of their songs, they did not deserved last place!

Reply to  lin

I don’t believe I have brought any hateful comments about Ireland and UK….maybe about the BBC in general, but not about either songs!

Reply to  lin

some people would like Ireland and the UK to win again,which is why we debate what has gone wrong,based on facts not head in the sand mentality.
and yes 7 wins is amazing which is why some question myself included what needs to be done.its hardly jealosy and its not rocket science

Reply to  paul

Sadly, 7 of the Irish wins and 4 of the UK wins all came from 100% jury voting at a time when there wasn’t much competition….nowadays there are anything up to 43 countries voting in the final – which kinda is a joke as I still feel it should only be the countries which qualified should vote (own personal opinion) kinda like how only the countries and 3 automatic qualifiers can vote in their semi.

One day both nations may return to former glories, but many baby steps need to be made before the giant leaps.

Reply to  Darren

you should be happy as an Irish man,UK and ireland failing miserably together,two peas in a pod.Isnt that why RTE dont really care either,the two of you together against europe syndrome. didnt you earn the nickname “little britain” or something

Reply to  paul

Britain has nothing to do with us, as we are not British.
We also don’t think Europe is against us either.

Last edited 6 months ago by Darren
Reply to  Darren

you really dont have much of a seperate culture tho do you?
The national broadcaster wont even put any effort into eurovision,one thing you used to be good at and indeed could be again.
You televise a uk soap during prime time when people could watch it on uk tv anyway,and didnt that same soap make racist fun of the Irish years ago during an episode set in Ireland and had to apologise

Reply to  paul

So because a uk soap airs on Irish tv we are automatically British?
We have a vastly different culture to Britain, but I know you’re just trolling.

I suggest you take out that geography book, read it, understand it, or get back to 1900 as that must be where you’ve come from.

Reply to  Darren

vastly diffrent,you vastly exagerate. no not stuck in 1900 just trying to make sugestions to get your eurovision songs into the 21st century.
enjoy eastenders!

Reply to  paul

Beidh amadán ann i gcónaí….
Smh

Reply to  Darren

yeagh a few we bits of irish once in a while makes a proud nation, impressive!
Its only really spoken in one area northwest donegal

Reply to  paul

I don’t live in north west Donegal…

Reply to  Darren

no buts that the only area it is largely spoken.
Its surprising you where bashing RTE yesterday for Irelands participation in eurovision,but yet today you seem to have done a u turn at least on this page.
Is it like your language change does your opinion change day to day? or like your nationality you dont really know what you are?

Reply to  paul

I was bashing RTÉ yesterday yeah, because they are inept, out of touch and incompetent. However, I’m not going to stand by and say nothing while people here were actually bashing the countries. It’s completely different. And the toxic stuff people have been saying here in uncalled for. You are not helpful either, with your “little Britain” remarks, we are not British. We have our own language, our own sport, we are in the EU, UK not, UK have a monarchy, we don’t we use the metric system, Uk doesn’t, and various other differences. I know full well who I… Read more »

Reply to  Darren

I want being toxic I was agreeing with your posts about RTE.
As for your comments on other issues its certainly refreshing and makes a nice change

Fionn
Fionn
Reply to  paul

Irish people know exactly who we are and we have fought for that for hundreds of years, educate yourself pls ur making a fool out of yourself

Reply to  Fionn

I know the history,its encouraging that you claim to.
progress at last

Fionn
Fionn
Reply to  paul

who even are you? are you British?

lol
lol
Reply to  paul

you obviously know nothing about irish history and culture if your gona call it “little britain”. gtfo

Last edited 6 months ago by lol
lol
lol
Reply to  Darren

i feel so bad for lesley, really enjoyed her performance

Robert

Loving Samanta’s attitude and sass here..

Reply to  Robert

Yeah. I don’t know what Samanta disliked specifically about that recording; it wasn’t that bad.

Reply to  Purple Mask

Exactly, very good

Veta
Veta
Reply to  Purple Mask

Maybe the fact that she couldn’t really dance or move in those high-heel boots? But the rest of the performance was indeed fabulous! especially her hair!

Teddie
Teddie
Reply to  Robert

Awesome stuff, many performance are so much more, um, focused I should say, than what we saw in the semis

Reply to  Teddie

Guess the nerves took the better of some..

lin

In any case, the EBU has to apologize to U.K and to James and to Spain and the Netherlands for Humiliated them live , why even declare zero points? Hopefully next year this bad method will change, all the singers worked so hard before the competition, and they do not deserve to be left with a bitter taste in their mouths.

Last edited 6 months ago by lin
Nils
Nils
Reply to  lin

Zero points isn’t the problem here, but there was no need to shove the camera up their nostrils when it was announced. Highly unnecessary and rude.

hhhhurricane
hhhhurricane

i’m sure no one is satisfied with their backup, but besties – you want to be remembered by your live shows? bet. so a vocally shaky grey mess without a coherent narrative, and two trumpets over a mid-tempo attempt of a summer song all paired with a fugly outfit. see: the only way is up i promise

Reply to  hhhhurricane

See, that just makes me even more curious about the original concepts for UK and Ireland, and how they developed into the final live products. It’s art history now. 🙂

Linnea
Linnea

Where can I watch these performances? Please help me with a link? Thank you!

Reply to  Linnea
BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  RavensHeart

Unfortunately it looks to be geoblocked in America.

jojo
jojo
Reply to  BadWoolfGirl

Ever since Justin Timberlake was on Eurovision and was strict with owning the rights of his performance – dictating to them they couldn’t broadcast it through their site and other demands on them – Eurovision started geoblocking the Final and other certain performances for the U.S.

Nils
Nils

Poland shows clearly why pre recorded backing vocals should be remote asap.
You don´t even hear his voice in the chorus. It hurts the Contest

Taco
Taco
Reply to  Nils

I so agree with you. We need the rule back that all vocals must be live, it is much more fair. Ok even then we get to case that people not even on stage sing the main chorus, or difficult high notes, but that is better then the situation now. Poland live-on-tap is THE example this is wrong.

Ohhh yes Poland! That has made my night. 🙂 They should be very proud of that recording, bravo.

Teddie
Teddie
Reply to  Purple Mask

I know right?? The vocal mix suddenly is decent and all

Samo
Samo
Reply to  Teddie

That’s because you can’t hear Rafal 😀 But I agree, very nice performance!

lin

Both U.K. and Ireland are superpowers of music, they can send good singers and songs, do not understand how this happens?

Reply to  lin

Certainly in the UK there is a stigma that Eurovision kills careers…goes back to the negative newspaper press when the UK wouldn’t win or finish top 3. But always just after Eurovision plenty of named artists always say that they would do Eurovision…but never appear when Eurovision season is back in full swing.

Reply to  Euroboitoy

Look at the treatment Flo Rida got, why would any named artist go near Eurovision now?

Reply to  RavensHeart

You don’t get points just for being famous.

Jofty
Jofty
Reply to  Jonas

I can think that’s the only reason Bonnie Tyler got any points at all

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Euroboitoy

I think the BBC have got a reputation of being very controlling and a lot of UK singers value creative control and write their own songs, so they’re put off by that.

Reply to  Azaad

No idea why you got a negative rating for the comment. You are truly right. The BBC made sure Frances Ruffelle couldn’t take her grungy look to Eurovision – for a good example of what you said.

Reply to  Azaad

Totally loathe the bbc for many reasons , ITV might make a better job of it.

And Benny was so good

Reply to  Robert

Benny’s always so meticulous; it was great to see him at his best there.

Samo
Samo
Reply to  Robert

True! I don’t get why they felt a need to change that performance at ESC. This was much better (still a NQ though, due to his vocals).

Reply to  Samo

Yeah but the electronic voice behind his vocal sounds way more exciting.. This was much better

Robert

People should just stop hating on others, performers, countries and respect them and the decisions they make! It’s not difficult..

Ooo – watching these so far is quite interesting. It’s like seeing an earlier developed version of all the concepts. 🙂
Of course Slovenia and North Macedonia have strong vocals. I really like Romania’s concept in the recording; it reached me more because it felt more personal.

paul

why dont the UK and IRELAND just withdraw and leave europe alone in the good spirit of competition.
These ridiculous autopsys every year about why they are failing at eurovision when anyone with a slice of intelligence knows the songs are crap.
BBC and RTE should join forces do an entertainment show,where someone from the British Isles is guaranted to “win” shut themselves up in a bubble from everyone else and pretend they are so much better.
decade after decade its just getting pathetic now

I appeal for calm.

Reply to  paul

Or maybe, just maybe, BBC should relinquish the Eurovision to another network such as ITV…or do what some other countries like Russia and Belgium do and alternate every year…..the UK needs a fresh approach and Auntie just cannot bring it at the moment.

Reply to  Euroboitoy

Thats a good point,but you see they dont even want to hear suggestions.Its largely stubborn arrogance.On the you tube clip of uk performing at the grand final,countless people where blaming brexit! none of them could respond to my simple question,why would the over twenty nations who are NOT PART of the european union,particulary televoters give a toss about the UK leaving the EU,especially if they liked the song.

Reply to  paul

It’s more likely jealousy of the vaccine rollout.

Reply to  RavensHeart

It was anything they could think of,including that!
They cant appreciate the posts are simply trying to be constructive so the same thing doesnt happen every year.It gets to the stage,where you simply give up and ask whats the point

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  RavensHeart

That would at least be believable.

Reply to  Azaad

Not really.

Reply to  RavensHeart

February was three months ago.

Reply to  paul

The only other thing I would appreciate to see is the BBC loosening their strangle hold on the whole UK and let the 4 nations compete separately. I would gladly have my Scotland compete in the semi. We are a proud wee nation with some talent who can belt out the notes! Not that I am advocating a return of Lulu…but she still has the pipes.

Reply to  Euroboitoy

Doesn’t work either, look at Wales in Junior Eurovision, 2nd to last and last.

Reply to  RavensHeart

difference is, 4 nations could vote for each other.;……not that THAT ever happens with neighbouring nations or ex countries which have broken into smaller countries.

Reply to  Euroboitoy

all suggestions are welcome!

Reply to  Euroboitoy

bbc not fit for putpose in any way shape or form. They are finished. Time is coming.

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Euroboitoy

ITV would be awful at ESC. It’d be seen as a joke. The BBC brand carries prestige in the UK, and it’s the public broadcaster of the country.

Reply to  Azaad

The BBC brand carries prestige in the UK

hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha you’ve made my night with that.

Reply to  RavensHeart

yeagh after the jimmy saville scandal and they knew it was happening for years.

Reply to  paul

They all have a statue outside their hq of a pervert who botherd his own kids and the family dog. **Eric Gill** , google him.

Reply to  RavensHeart

The BBC is the most corrupt broadcaster in the UK. They are the FOX News of UK Television!

Reply to  Euroboitoy

raeally like fox news? why dont they report on bidens kids in cages at the USA border (BBC) BBC are ultra left wing and fox news Right wing.
difference between night and day,both have there own agenda and the truth rarely plays a part

Reply to  paul

Both have a great way of making a news story out of nothing or covering up the truth. Look at the scandal the BBC tried to impose on Sir Cliff Richard. Look at the deviousness that is now coming out about the Princess Diana interview. Pretty sure the Kids in Cages were Trump’s doing anyways…..but I was only using FOX news as a metaphor!

Reply to  Euroboitoy

didnt like trump but the kids in cages where also used by obama and they have been overflowing since biden came into office in even worse conditions.but thanks you just made my point you skipped completely over biden and went to trump!
Thats what wrong in todays world facts are ignored just write a lie and get enough of the brain dead public to up vote it and it becomes a modern day “fact”

Reply to  Euroboitoy

See Aex Belfeild’s channel for what the bbc get up to. Currupt as hell.

Reply to  Azaad

really it was avrotros the smaller of the dutch broadcasters who took over eurovision from NOS and started getting good results including of course the winner 2019 all be it internal selections

Reply to  Azaad

The BBC is corrupt! Look at recent revelations. In what way would ITV be any more awful than BBC? They wouldn’t put stupid bits on instead of letting us see interval acts and we would have some adverts instead of backstage gossip.

Reply to  Euroboitoy

https://www.youtube.com/c/CelebrityRadiobyAlexBelfield/videos They are just see what they are doing to this man. He used to work for the BBC. Time they were over.

Reply to  Azaad

lol what? Its vanishing by the day what little prestige they had. They are a joke.

James
James
Reply to  Euroboitoy

If ITV withdrew for JESC despite doing well for the UK during the show’s first three years, then why would you expect them to be any better in ESC in place of the BBC?

The British isles?

Samo
Samo

Hear hear!

lin

So humiliating what they did to the English singer, filmed him really close and informed him that he got zero points, I wanted to cry ‘with him, it’s really disrespectful, need to change this disgusting method.

Last edited 6 months ago by lin
Reply to  lin

yes maybe the EBU should change rules as well.
vote for the UK regardless of quality of song and performer,and if you dont its a hate crime.
I may be sarcastic but thats the way its going

Rose
Rose
Reply to  paul

They’re just saying that no one should be showing the performers reactions to getting zero points, which I agree with a lot.

Reply to  paul

I did not say that the scoring method should be changed, although it would not hurt either, I said that the way the score should be announced should be changed, there is no need to humiliate people, maybe we should go back to the previous method of scoring. In the competition held in Israel, no singer was photographed informing him of zero point!

Reply to  paul

you mean like with sweden? LOL

Reply to  lin

What was humiliating about it? He took it in good stead. He burst out laughing and got the crowd to give him one final massive cheer. Big respect to James Newman!

Reply to  Euroboitoy

I noticed that he was in tears, I felt sorry for him

Reply to  lin

He wasn’t in tears….re-watch. He was pissing himself laughing and celebrating with the crowd cheering him on.

Reply to  lin

least he had the balls to own it and he is a diamond for his reaction. good for him. Least he had a great time.

paul

Ok Lesley,lets be clear none of the fans wish any ill feeling to you as an individual,its a general discussion about irelands current day status at eurovision. The reality is the song and performance was not good enough,thats freedom of speech its not being a troll,and nothing against you personally. For the most part of twenty years RTE have not kept up with the changing pace of eurovision,or faced the reality of the entertainment event the contest has become. Its also costing RTE in the region of 300,000 euro for a song year after year to languish near the bottom… Read more »

Liv
Liv
Reply to  paul

People are telling her to kill herself among other awful things. That’s hardly a discussion on whether or not the song and performance was good. That’s a direct personal attack. So when you say none, you are very wrong.

Dida
Dida

Two weak entries no one cares about and definitely won’t be missed

Last edited 6 months ago by Dida
Reply to  Dida

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Reply to  Dida

its the level of arrogance at play from both the UK and Ireland.
They need to start facing reality,because if they ever do start sending good songs,people wont want to know.

Reply to  paul

There is no arrogance…the BBC is stuck in their own rut and the years of Wogan, and now Norton, tongue in cheek commentary is outdated and done the UK no favours. It’s time for change..be it network or approach…but the change is needed.

Reply to  Euroboitoy

True at least Norton can acknowledge when another country is good.
Wogan tried to make european songs look like a laughing stock.
He didnt live long enough to see who really would become the joke of europe

Reply to  paul

wogan was a cretin. In more ways than one.

Reply to  Euroboitoy

If I was on wogans salary I would pretend samantha janus had a good voice too!

Reply to  paul

There is zero arrogance from both singers.

What is arrogant is manbabies throwing their toys out of the pram because a song isn’t included in what is essentially a YouTube compilation video

Reply to  Darren

I dont care about those clips darren,just having a discussion about wider UK and Ireland participation

jojo
jojo
Reply to  paul

But this article is specifically about the lives-on-tapes not UK and Ireland’s participation.

Reply to  Dida

Dida obviously thinks they are speaking for everyone ever.
Soz bae, y’aint xo

Darren

Well it’s a song “celebration” and they obviously feel that they have nothing to celebrate considering their results.

Leave them be guys, it’s incredibly petty and toxic to be attacking them over this. ESC is done. The songs and various performances of them are available all over the Internet for those that want it.

Euroboitoy

Absolutely gutted about this decision. Surely the fans deserve better and these two performances should feature

What fans?

Europe has made it’s feelings for UK, Ireland, (and Australia) well known. Europe hates all 3 entries, why would it make itself suffer listening to them again.

Australia is likely only on the list as it was already shown in the semi.

Last edited 6 months ago by RavensHeart
Reply to  RavensHeart

So you think James Newman’s and Lesley Roy’s fans don’t deserve to see the performances then?

Reply to  Euroboitoy

Ok thought you meant Euro fans in general.

Reply to  RavensHeart

No, although Euro fans in general should always be supportive of the end cause.

Ang
Ang

I can understand why James Newman didn’t want his shown, but I have no clue about Lesley Roy I don’t know anything about the matter. In James’ case, the BBC cared so much about Eurovision that they simply made him perform on the stage left over immediately after a big charity event. It’s almost as if they don’t care. I think that’s a terrible insult to the performer, the fans & Eurovision itself. Until the BBC changes its attitude towards the competition we will never do well as a country. They get someone will talent (you can’t deny he IS… Read more »

Darren

Lesley is actually devastated she didn’t qualify though. I feel bad for her, it got her hard from looking at social media and all. I don’t think she was expecting her NQ to be a last place NQ.
Vasil has been sweet to her though. He posted a series of pictures of them hugging after the semi, it’s quite sweet

Kim
Kim
Reply to  Darren

No way did she deserve to come last. People slating her on here because she sounded too Irish!! Really? It’s a celebration of culture and national identity and that was a comment left on this blog!

Giolo
Giolo
Reply to  Kim

That’s like the most stupid comment of the year

Reply to  Kim

song was great but the staging not so much.

Reply to  Darren

Vasil is a lovely sweet man. Heart on his sleeve kind of guy.