They’re Austrian A-listers who perform to sell-out crowds and who are known throughout the German-speaking world for their unique blend of rock and art pop.

But despite their massive hits like “Softdrink”, “Rosen zum Plafond”, and “Feinste Seide”, even Bilderbuch suffers from a “fear of failure” at Eurovision.

That’s just some of the tea from our hour-long interview with Austria’s Eurovision scout Eberhard Forcher, which we’ll publish in full in the coming week.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by wiwibloggs (@wiwibloggs)

text text

Bilderbuch said no to Eurovision 2022 over “fear of falling”

Eberhard, who has worked with broadcaster ORF for several years to coax top talent to Eurovision, says he spent seven weeks speaking with the band’s manager.

“They’re like the Måneskin of Austria, with a different musical style, but they are so cool,” he says of his dream Eurovision act, who he thought might be interested after the global success of Italy’s most recent winners. “They are playing shows in Austria with 20,000 people. I thought, ‘This time I’ll get them.'”

Eberhard phoned up the band’s manager immediately after Eurovision.

“I had two long calls. He understood my arguments. I said, ‘What can you lose? What can you effing lose — you can only win!'”

Their manager understood the massive opportunity before them and kept the band in the mix for seven weeks. Ultimately, though, not even their management could win them over.

“He said, ‘I’ve done everything to convince them.’ As the lead singer said it, it’s the fear of falling.”

Want to know more about Austria’s Eurovision 2022 internal selection? Eberhard tells us about the four acts still in the running. Click here!

Are you excited about the scale of Austria’s ambitions? Would you love to see Bilderbuch at Eurovision in the future? Let us know down below.

lasse braun
lasse braun
16 days ago

the style of the song “bungalow” is very cool for the ESC in these days – måneskin & go_a have made it possible – there is a big red carpet on the ground for progressive acts like bilderbuch! 🙂

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
16 days ago

At this point time, according to another Eurovision news site I frequent, it is now down to four artists left who could represent Austria in 2022.

Nancy G
Nancy G
Reply to  BadWoolfGirl
roxy
roxy
Reply to  Nancy G

Ok then it is clear that the act from southern tyrol is ANGER (they sing in german), the electro swing must be Deladap and the DJ Lumix.

Meckie
Meckie
16 days ago

I think he said one act is huge on Spotify. Anybody knows Austrian acts on Spotify with success????

roxy
roxy
Reply to  Meckie

austria is quite good at electronic/dance: parov stelar, limux, möwe, darius&finlay, camo&crooked, kruder&dorfmeister

roxy
roxy
Reply to  roxy

Lumix, not limux 😉

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
Reply to  Meckie

mathea maybe ?

16 days ago

Mathea is my dream, possibly Fomins and Kleins for a quality joke act in the Little Big vein.

16 days ago

Don’t fear failure if you are willing to give this contest your best shot. Look at Anouk. She brought her A-game, and deservingly ended-up in top 10. Even band with more niche audiences, like Hooverphonic, moderately succeeded (I mean, they qualified) since they brought a song that feels like a big effort was put into it. The problem can occur when big names get too sure about getting votes, so they send ”album fillers” which otherwise wouldn’t be released as standalone singles.

Who can blame them?

Roodi
Roodi
16 days ago

If they are scared then they should wait later to participate

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  Roodi

They may not feel like they are ready for Eurovision and that’s okay. Give it a little time.

Xaxaxa
Xaxaxa
16 days ago

Pity. Hope to see more and more original bands, projects and artists like Maneskin or this Austrian group in ESC.

voix
voix
16 days ago

Its almost 2022, are broadcasters for real thinking they will win by copying last years winner? For f shake…..

Nils
Nils
Reply to  voix

Bilderbuch aren’t even vaguely similar to Måneskin. Check them out and hear for yourself.

Jessey
Jessey
Reply to  Nils

Apparently Georgia is selecting a band as well
Im curious how many bands will enter Eurovision 2022 after maneskin win
And copying a Eurovision winner is never going down well

Last edited 16 days ago by Jessey
BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  Jessey

I’m not gonna be surprised if there are a lot of rock bands in 2022, but I really don’t want to see a bunch of Måneskin clones Littering up the contest. When you have an overabundance of a particular genre, you’re not gonna be successful And the votes would get split all over the place. It’s why I think a lot of fan favorite diva dance bops flopped in 2021. They were just too many of them to Vote for.

Jofty
Jofty
Reply to  BadWoolfGirl

All true. However when Cyprus skipped the “diva dance bop” in 2020 the poor guy got slated and dropped. Personally I thought it would have qualified but sometimes you can’t win.

Last edited 16 days ago by Jofty
voix
voix
Reply to  Jofty

come on they went for a h&m playlist background song, the song had 0 impact

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  Jofty

I don’t think Cyprus would have qualified in 2020. It was too weak and forgettable. I’m hoping Cyprus picks something different for 2022 other than another Diva dance bop. I’m worried that diminishing returns could get Cyprus their first elimination since 2013.

Nathan
Nathan
Reply to  voix

So any rock-oriented entry next year will be an attempt to copy Måneskin? Rock is not a niche genre, even if it is under-represented in Eurovision. It’s a broad genre with a million different interpretive styles and you need to understand that.

16 days ago

Not sure if they were going to do well in Eurovision but it’s weird that the manager wanted them to do it but the group didn’t want. It’s usually the other way around lol. Austria has so many talented artists. I am still dreaming of a Parov Stelar entry but i know he will never do Eurovision as he said so.. they can always find an artist with similar sound though! ZOE is a name I would love to see (again) for Austria as her recent music is much much better than Loid d’ici. More mature and catchy! I wonder… Read more »

Reply to  Alex

I hope wiwbloggs can share some names that are in discussions with ORF. I hope it’s not boring acts again…

16 days ago

Quite the interesting stuff here. Can’t wait for more info. Some unprecedented transparency, isn’t it?

Mr Vanilla Bean, wo bist du??

Nils
Nils
16 days ago

Leyya or Oehl would be perfect for Austria.

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Nils

I stumbled across Leyya two months ago and immediately got hooked on “I’ve been down”. And I just checked out Oehl. They’re pretty great, too. So, yeah, that would be something.

Nils
Nils
16 days ago

I love Bilderbuch (if you ever get the chance, go and see them live), but I’m afraid they’d be pretty alien to anyone outside the German-speaking countries.

Denis
Denis
16 days ago

If it is anything like Måneskin then it was a good choice to turn down. You dont get sucees by copying what worked last year

Nils
Nils
Reply to  Denis

No, but they are like Falco’s funky psychedelic kids. It’s a bit … well … special.

Jofty
Jofty
Reply to  Denis

Unless you are Ireland in the 1990s

Reply to  Jofty

Ireland’s four 1990s winners are all different to each other. Brendan Graham wrote two of them, and even with the same songwriter they are different.