Quelle surprise! Monaco’s government has set aside 100,000 euros in its 2022 budget to initiate participation in Eurovision 2023. Is the land of casinos coming back?

As l’Observateur de Monaco reports, the only microstate to have ever won Eurovision is apparently taking the first step towards its comeback. It’s reserved 100,000 euros to get the country back in the game. That might not be a lot, but that’s surely enough for some bancs, arbres and rues!

Remember: this is only a proposal. The budget is not approved yet, and there is no further information from Monaco’s broadcaster, TMC.

It’s also worth noting that TMC is now part of Groupe 1, the private holding that operates France’s TF1. Perhaps there are some extra coins tucked away somewhere…

Monaco at Eurovision

Monaco debuted at Eurovision in 1959, and participated regularly for 20 years. In 1979 they withdrew and would not return until 2004. During the noughties, the Principality tried their luck three times, but never managed to make it to the final.

Sévérine Ferrer’s “La coco dance” is the last Monegasque entry at Eurovision. The Tahitian inspired entry was a fan favourite that didn’t manage to rise on the scoreboard. In fact, Monaco only received 14 points, eight of them from France, and came third to last.

Are you excited for Monaco’s possible comeback at Eurovision? Will we see them back in 2023? Share your thoughts in the comment section below!

Read more Monaco Eurovision news here.

Maya G
Maya G
12 days ago

I love it when more countries join, but I doubt Monaco has anything to offer other than nostalgia.

13 days ago

It would be great, i love Monaco! If they return, i hope they take it more seriously and be more competitive than before. Perhaps, they could get some French artists/songwriters on board? besides, France has taken it seriously the last few years which might have made Monaco reconsider.

Daniel
Daniel
14 days ago

Similar we heard about Andorra before and nothing happened in the end.
Could it only be to promote Monaco?

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  Daniel

That’s why I’m not putting Monaco returning very high Oh my expectations because we’ve had countries tease a return, but never materialized. I’m not putting my eggs in one basket for Monaco’s return.

Celeste
Celeste
Reply to  BadWoolfGirl

Except Andorra nerver “tease” anything. A former candidate wanted her country to comeback and was very vocal about it, but without the of the support of Andorra’s gouvernement . For Monaco is from the gouvernement, but on a list of provisionnal bugdet, so no acted yet.

Shuma
Shuma
13 days ago
Reply to  Celeste

Slight error, she did have govt support, just not support from the broadcaster

13 days ago
Reply to  Daniel

I don’t think that Monaco need to promote themselves. It’s the rich and very rich and ueber-ueber rich people who live there.

I would think they want to be part of “cultural Europe” in a way now that 2021 had a winner song in Italian and the next two countries in top 3 sang in French.

Yudhistira Mahasena
14 days ago

If ever Monaco makes a comeback in Eurovision 2023, I would like to see Young Lex representing the microstate.

Aeria
Aeria
14 days ago

Could be a lot of fun! I wasn’t a fan of any of their entries in 2004-2006, but they could always do something new and surprise us 🙂

14 days ago

Monaco back would be the lovliest of surprises. One of the countries that made ESC what it is today. Fingers crossed!

Also, I have to emphasize how they should’ve qualified in both 2004 and 2005. Their 2005 song is in my top 10. 2006 is a guilty pleasure. Today’s system will work in their favor.

Last edited 14 days ago by Colin
CatcoolH
CatcoolH

Well this is unexpected!

Gino
Gino
14 days ago

If she still performs i would love to see shirley bassey as their entry

David
David
14 days ago

Excellent news. Hopefully they have seen the relative success that San Marino has gained and want to follow suit. Also, I wonder why a country like Monaco could not get private backing

Nils
Nils
14 days ago

Almost too good to be true. I really hope it all works out.

esc_fl
esc_fl
14 days ago

Would love a Moneqasque comeback!

14 days ago

What about Andorra? I live for an edition with Andorra, Monaco and San Marino sharing the semis. I can’t wait for a comment from Andorra now that things are moving in Monaco!!

14 days ago

I would be pleasantly surprised. I definitely slot them in with countries like Luxembourg, Turkey, and Slovakia in the never gonna get it (not this time) never never gonna get it category every year but the more the merrier. Like Andorra, I can only hope a comeback would deliver more than their last run of entries.

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
14 days ago

If this comes to fruition and doesn’t fall apart, Monaco’s return would be a very unexpected but nice surprise. I never thought they would ever return, but if this pulls through, I can’t to see what they’ll bring.

Extinguir
Extinguir
14 days ago

It really is true. There’s a government financial paper. At page 15/16 (or 83/84)

(…) “registration of a € 100K program to initiate the Principality’s application to the Eurovision 2023 competition partially offset by the reduction of the subsidy allocated to the World Amateur Theater Festival (- € 418,000),”

Joh
Joh
14 days ago

I think it’s worth noting that TMC is NOT the only tv broadcaster in Monaco. MMD also does some tv (with a news channel, so not much) but maybe, just MAYBE, TMC won’t be the broadcaster and tf1 won’t have a say in all this.

Also if there’s already something in the government’s budget, there’s probably an agreement with a broadcaster somewhere…

14 days ago

Extra coins tucked behind someones ears! But who has the magic hand? OK Monaco, I hope you’ll bring something very special.

Polegend Godgarina
14 days ago

the more, the merrier… i’d love to see them back since they can afford it too

14 days ago

Their nearest neighbours came first and second this year, they probably felt left out.

Jack Popfield
Jack Popfield
14 days ago

It’s only speculations but I feel if the winner next year is a country that’s never won before or yet to win this century… then it would strategically convince Monaco to make their grand return. In the 60s & 70s they never had a bad entry tbf.

Kaitlin
Kaitlin
Reply to  Jack Popfield

Only bad one was coco dance imo

T.J.
T.J.

I WANT THEM BACK!!!

14 days ago

OMG yes this is very exciting news but will they take the SM route? Hopefully not – France or Italy are huge markets with huge talent and definitely an example to follow after what happened in 2021!!