She won a prestigious Edison award for her debut album Snowsniper back in 2019. And now S10 is poised to share her alt-pop sound with an even larger audience as The Netherlands’ artist for Eurovision 2022.

The news dropped on Tuesday via the AVROTROS YouTube channel.

Speaking in an artsy announcement video, the 21-year-old said:

“It gives me courage. Music is for me the most important thing that there is. For anyone whose experienced the lows or the highs. For those who dance in front of the mirror or prefer to stay out of the light. I am S10 and I’m performing on behalf of the Netherlands at the Eurovision Song Contest.”

Who is S10?

Stien den Hollander – stage name S10 – is a Dutch singer and rapper. Considered a rising star in the alternative Dutch music scene, she landed her first record deal when she was just 17.

Although her music style is characterized by hip-hop elements, she’s more of a singer than a rapper and boasts an incredibly powerful voice. In her songs, Den Hollander incorporates solid beats with dark, sometimes psychedelic melodies.

Last May she expressed an interest in Eurovision on Twitter, writing:

”darlings, how are we going to make sure I can participate in #Eurovision next year??? xx”

The Netherlands at Eurovision 2022

It’s not yet known when S10 will announce her song for Eurovision 2022. But we do know that it’s in Dutch.

Eric van Stade, general manager of AVROTROS, said:

“S10’s song displays guts and authenticity. While normally we don’t reveal anything at this stage beyond the artist’s name, this time I dare to make an exception. S10 remains true to herself and her unique style.”

“This means that, having selected English-language entries for the last 11 years, we’re now sending a Dutch song to the Eurovision Song Contest. We’re sticking our necks out with this choice, which the selection committee is behind unanimously. It promises to be another very special edition for the Netherlands.”

Maya G
Maya G

Can’t wait to hear it. She has some very interesting materials and I love that it’ll be in Dutch.

Anhel
Anhel

Dutch is one of my favorite languages, and she seems like an interesting musician.

Catriona
Catriona

As long as she doesn’t rap in Dutch. That would be a 3 minute earache.

Mark
Mark

Top 10 for the Netherlands?
I think so

Jon
Jon
Reply to  Mark

Impossible to say

voix
voix

All of you saying (before the song is published) that you dont like it, do you consider eurovision as a multinational platform for melfest rejects? If you do, i have some bad news for you

musica

This year, the process was the same as in the year the committee picked Arcade: pick a song rather than an artist. It’s not that they were looking for a Dutch language song, or a female artist, but she simply was the best entry (‘overrompelend’ as they call it, which translates as ‘overwhelming’).

sTommie
sTommie
Reply to  musica

But would the selection committee pick a Dutch urban song pre-2019? I doubt it.

Daya Sloten
Daya Sloten
Reply to  sTommie

But we don’t know if she will be singing an urban song though cause lately she has been making more alternative pop than urban songs. She also worked together with Belgian indie band Bazart. If you listen to her newer songs like adem je in (not the remix), handen van mijn moeder and the song that some people say is ‘the’ song, dans mij naar huis, its not that urban. At this point it could be a lot of different genres tbh

Safiya
Safiya

Super excited! I am learning Dutch and I was looking for some Dutch songs to listen to. I would love to see more and more languages at Eurovision. There is no such thing as an ugly language.

Danny
Danny

It’s rumored right now that “Dans Mij Naar Huis” will be her song (live performance: https://youtu.be/STDX9bGl7wk).

(Take it as a grain of salt for now because it could be a “I Miss You” situation all over again but if it turns out to be true I’m defo here for it.)

Bart
Bart
Reply to  Danny

I listened to it, I’m impressed I love the song! Must me think of 2013 Norway with Margaret Berger- I feed you my love what do you think?

Robert
Robert
Reply to  Danny

Wow! L O V E

Stefan
Stefan
Reply to  Danny

If it’s this song, we might have a chance to end in the top five again this year.

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  Danny

absolutely breathtaking !

LMAO
LMAO

Unexpected choice, doubt we’ll need to fear for an average entry in any way from The Netherlands next year.

Zisk
Zisk

Listened back to some of her music, very different and alternative sound. Not much like it in recent years at Eurovision, and being in Dutch is a big bonus. Excited for this.

lasse braun
lasse braun

her fresh song “adem je in” is a really good one!
check it,if you want at youtube – quality!

Luc
Luc

I’m pretty surprised by the decision but I’m sure she will deliver a nice entry. It was about time the Netherlands chose an entry in Dutch!

Bella
Bella

Looks super promising. The Netherlands have been one of my fav Eurovision countries since 2013: they’ve been bringing nothing but quality and are not afraid to break the mold, and submit songs that don’t fit the Eurovision cliché, and I love it! Sounds like it’s the same this year. For similar reasons, I also really like Belgium at Eurovision (doesn’t translate into good results every year but they always bring quality, edgy, classy dark pop songs), Ukraine (very successful country but not afraid to experiment and submit different genres almost every year) and Italy (only bring their A game to… Read more »

1 year ago

‘Singer and rapper’ sounds promising. Rap is still underrepresented at the contest. And Joci Papai, Lea Sirk, Manizha, Mahmood and Mikolas Josef really lit the place up. Good choice, dear neighbours!

100% excited for this

Jamie
Jamie

Quality. Great choice.

Balint
Balint

I s10 the fact that she will sing in Dutch

DonutLover
DonutLover
Reply to  Balint

Good one!!

MariAkki
MariAkki
Reply to  Balint

I didn’t understand this at first until I realised I needed to pronounce it the English way instead of the Dutch way ? Nice one!

Im so fab
Im so fab
1 year ago

Maneskin may have encouraged others to sing in their native language, or at least not in English.

A song in Dutch will be a big surprise for me, but a pleasant one.

mark
mark
Reply to  Im so fab

not just måneskin,
barbara, go_a, and gjon all landed in the top 5 with non-english songs. but especially go_a inspired people

Nudiecrudi
Nudiecrudi
Reply to  mark

considering all the facts Maneskin did have more impact than Go_a, which i love.
considering also that italian contestants sing always in italian and being in top 10 almost each year, maybe other countries are trying this formula.

Jimmy
Jimmy
1 year ago

Jonas, another name for your book of corrections! 😉

ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA
1 year ago

It’s certainly a big risk for the Netherlands to be singing in Dutch and it may pay off however I don’t think singing in Dutch should be something to be necesarily excited about. Ever since Salvador Sobral won Eurovision, a lot of Eurovision fans have begun to obsess over anything non-English and I find it annoying.

Reply to  ESCFanGA

Rap in Dutch can sound quite good. I’d recommend you to check out Lange Frans for example.

Reply to  Nils

I think Germanic languages suit rap very well

Reply to  BadWoolfGirl

There’s loads of great Dutch rap and hiphop (Nederhop), just take a listen to Snelle, Kraantje Pappie, Ronnie Flex… plenty of choice and I don’t think Dutch sounds at all bad.

1 year ago

This is pretty exciting news, S10 is really “hot” here at the moment and she’s really got her own authentic style. Let’s wait and see what the song is, but it all sounds promising!

Ria van de Velde
Ria van de Velde
1 year ago

Good Luck for S 10 , I am happy that our entry will be sing in our own language Dutch. I can ‘t wait to hear it !!

Totorino
Totorino
1 year ago

I’m confident that more countries will follow the Netherland’s suit for singing in their native language, since the top 5 of 2021 (bar Iceland) weren’t sung in English. Let’s hope it doesn’t carry the same fate as to when they last sent a song in Dutch…

Barry
Barry
Reply to  Totorino

2010 was more a song problem than a language problem. Lenny Kuhr can tell you. BTW: I think countries are more inspired by the top 4 of 2021 then by this Dutch announcement.

Roo
Roo
Reply to  Totorino

Yet Sieneke was still a fan favourite, the Dutch press liked her and she scored several singles so one could say she did alright for herself.

1 year ago

A rapper from The Netherlands, singing in Dutch? Sounds very interesting! Good luck. 🙂

I am still adapting to the fact that “born in 2000” means an adult woman. The time flies indeed… 😉

Last edited 1 year ago by Colin
Jake
Jake
1 year ago

I think the lesson from Maneskin was not “more rock”, but “more authenticity and owning what your talent does well in their own country and in their own voice”. It’s a lesson that Jamala and Salvador also served. Well done AVROTROS for taking a bold chance. Hoping it’ll be rewarded.

Reply to  Jake

Yes! That’s exactly the lesson I hope countries would take away from Eurovision 2021, not send rock songs just because a rock song won last year.

Reply to  Jake

Hear hear

Barry
Barry
Reply to  Jake

Bulgaria do you copy?

Last edited 1 year ago by Barry
Reply to  Barry

Let’s be fair to Bulgaria: they have been doing exactly that for 5 years. I’m still baffled by the turn they’re taking this year; so much so that I find it hard to believe that “Intention” actually will be their entry…

Barry
Barry
Reply to  Leendert Jan

I agree, maybe it’s marketing tactics and do they come later with a big revamp.

Heartbeater
Heartbeater
1 year ago

It will be nice to see Dutch back in Eurovision hopefully it goes better then last time

Reply to  Heartbeater

Last time, Sha la lie was childish and poorly executed regardless of the language. Imagine if the lyrics, aside from the titual onomatopeia, were in English. Would it be any better? Doubtful. Then again, Edsilia sung in Dutch in 1998, and finished 4th, because it’s a really good song. I have my fingers crossed for S10.

Reply to  Colin

Exactly, this can in no way be compared to that rubbish song in 2010.

Reply to  Colin

Also, let’s not forget that the composer, Pierre Kartner (Vader Abraham), is a nazi. Surely it didn’t impact the voting, ‘Sha-la-lie’ was terrible enough on its own.

I just think people need to be reminded of that, since, over here, they only remember him fondly as the funny Amish dude who sang the Smurfs theme song.

Reply to  Nils

Whaaaat??? Like a ”said something controversial, so cancelled” type of ”nazi”, or a real ”nazi-nazi”? (Sorry to ask, it’s because these days, everyone is quick to label their political opponents with extreme names and hype it up.) But if he is really a supporter of white supremacy and / or nationalism and / or racial profiling, It makes me like the song even less (and I already think it’s quite bad). That’s terrible!

Last edited 1 year ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

He’s been busy writing pretty xenophobic stuff for quite some time now. To give you an example: ‘What shall we do about the Arabs? / We can’t trust them / with Dutch women being that beautiful’.

Reply to  Nils

That is pretty bad. 🙁

Reply to  Nils

I’m Dutch, and I didn’t know that, but I did know that Vader Abraham (as we know him) was already irrelevant when somehow he got picked to write the Dutch entry for Eurovision. Nobody could understand it, literally nobody. But back then Eurovision was still largely seen as a joke in the Netherlands, which we had no chance of winning anyway.

Reply to  musica

Exactly. Kartner was already decades past his heyday in 2010; the Dutch national final where several artists sang different but equally horrific versions of Shalalie was one of the most embarrassing moments in our Eurovision history (and we’ve got plenty). Calling him a nazi is pushing it, I’d rather say he’s a grumpy reactionary old git and a total non-entity these days. I don’,t think his political views have influenced the voting. Face it: it was just a horrendous song, and Sieneke was liked because she was a total sweetheart who gave her best.

Seddik
Seddik
1 year ago

We’ll have to wait till we have a song but this already seems like such a bold decision by The Netherlands.

Donatela
Donatela

Dutch??? Really????? Is such a ugly language. 2nd confirmed NQ after Bulgaria

mark
mark
Reply to  Donatela

wow i- i genuinely don’t know what to say. this comment raises more questions than answers

Reply to  Donatela

How about we not make any predictions about who will qualify or not until most of the 41 songs are out by March?

DonutLover
DonutLover
1 year ago

Ok this was unexpected but quite interesting.. I do believe she has what it takes to perform but it’s all gonna come down to the song. Good luck to her and yay for dutch,we were waiting for so long to hear it again.
I hope her song has a mix of genres so it can stand out a bit but I will also understand if the song is not top 10 material since they probably want to save some money after hosting but still song good enough to qualify would be nice!

Last edited 1 year ago by DonutLover
Reply to  DonutLover

After holding the bag for hosting Eurovision for over two years, I expected the Netherlands to take it easy and pick something safer and noncompetitive just so they don’t have win again so soon, but this could do a little better than expected. I’m not expecting another victory, but they could make the final. It’s a risk, but better to go down with the risky entry than to be ignored for a boring one

Poli-Genova
Poli-Genova
1 year ago

Amaaaazing, Netherlands has been serving something different and authentic for almost a decade now. I think they’re gonna surprise us!!! Not playing it safe. The song must be something special, cause they had plenty of good bops to choose from.

Polegend Godgarina
1 year ago

unexpected choice from the netherlands. a hip hop singer/rapper with a song in dutch… i know for sure she’ll be amazing.

Ashton
Ashton
1 year ago

what is it with dutch people in these comments and hating their own language? dutch is beautiful guys c’mon

Polegend Godgarina
Reply to  Ashton

it’s not the prettiest sounding language out there but we hadn’t heard it in a while and s10 can totally make it work. i doubt she’ll have a sweet love song lol.

Ashton
Ashton
1 year ago

a talented singer can make dutch sound more romantic than Italian or French tbh. see: Bazart (technically flemish, but close to dutch) and Eefje de Visser. I have faith s10 can accomplish that too

Reply to  Ashton

Part of Dutch culture is a certain sense of self-loathing, to call something ‘non-Dutch’ is a compliment. Like ‘this song is so good, it’s almost non-Dutch’.

MariAkki
MariAkki
Reply to  Ashton

When I was younger, I felt like songs in Dutch were cringy because the only people singing in Dutch that I knew, were those who made songs for kids. Or like songs that my grandparents would have liked, so old-sounding songs or schlagers. Or they used local dialects to seem ‘cool’. (I’m talking about Flanders here.) I couldn’t name any modern sounding Dutch song for adults. But Dutch rappers have really made Dutch feel like a language that I didn’t have to feel awkward about… And now you have singers like Bazart and Froukje and you can admit liking those… Read more »

Eurovision2016>
Eurovision2016>
1 year ago

Guys, the netherlands just hosted, they obviously don’t want to win immediately after for financial reasons. When they want to perform well again they’ll likely choose emma heesters or duncan if he wants to return.

Eurovision2016>
Eurovision2016>
1 year ago

Actually now that I’ve heard Adem Je In, this could go both ways. If she goes for something hiphop sounding then the netherlands won’t qualify but if she sends something similar to Adem Je In, they could go for a very good top ten finish.

1 year ago

Emma Heesters is not really high on the list of potential candidates. She’s not the type of artist that Avrotros would choose, not much authenticity about her.

1 year ago

Emma Heesters is so generic… no hope at all of her standing out or scoring well if she would do Eurovision

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
1 year ago

I’m happy we are taking a risk this year. She looks stunning btw.

Also what’s up with the wave of information we have already this year?!

mark
mark
Reply to  Frisian esc

we have literally everything except the slogan/logo…

James
James

Dutch is coming back! WoohooW

Thijn
Thijn

wasted year for us Dutch

Max Mark
Max Mark
Reply to  Thijn

I’ll bet it isn’t. It’s different, yes. And fresh. And she is very talented. I’m really looking forward to it. A brave choice by The Netherlands.

Robert
Robert
1 year ago

Her music sounds promising and the fact the Netherlands chooses Dutch instead of English is something to applaud.. I am Dutch and I’ve been screaming for years for a Dutch contemporary song.. Let’s hope this has an impact! Edsilia should’ve sung in Dutch too in 2007, 3Js too in 2011.. Congrats S10 (pronounced as Steen)

Reply to  Robert

Pronounced es-teen, actually.

Robert
Robert
Reply to  musica

Same difference

Reply to  Robert

I think 3Js only sealed the non-qualification when they changed it to English lyrics. The Dutch version was a lot better and more heartfelt.

Robert
Robert
Reply to  Nils

True! I actually love Je Vecht Nooit Alleen.. Never Alone I actually think I never heard again after! Filled with expected lyrics

Denis
Denis
1 year ago

Risky choice, could go both ways. I feel like risky choices are more worth taking when you know you have nothing to lose, like being direct in final. This way they really have more to loose. Right now I feel like this is a choice that will be more appreciated by Dutch than Europe. But who knows, you never can predict Eurovision..

Reply to  Denis

Well we’ve just won and hosted, so why not take a risk?

Denis
Denis
Reply to  Leendert Jan

Well you could have taken that risk last year when you were hosting. And sent Jeangu this year, would have been bit risky too

1 year ago

I’m not really into her music, but she seems to be moving more and more from pure hip hop to basically any genre she likes. Her last song is just a regular ballad. I think it’s a fresh and unexpected choice by Avrotros, one that I can only support. And given they chose her song from hundreds of entries, there has to be something about it that catches your attention.

May 2022 will tell.

Reply to  Whisker

Yes it will.

1 year ago

She sounds cool and the Netherlands has been doing well for my taste for quite a while already, so I’ll trust this was a good decision. It will be great to listen to some Dutch in the contest. Recently I found on Spotify a singer doing indie-pop in Dutch (sadly I forgot her name) and it sounds pretty good. Obviously it’s not the most melodic language of the world, but it doesn’t sound nearly as bad as some people think it does.

luuk
luuk
Reply to  Sabrina

do mean Froukje with the indie-pop singer?

Reply to  luuk

That’s exactly her! One of her songs came on the Discover Weekly, instantly called my attention and I ended up liking a bunch of them.

Croatia
Croatia
1 year ago

Fantastich Duch language return the more songs in the national language the better

Azaad
Azaad
1 year ago

It’s surprising that they’re sending a Dutch song this year when it would’ve made more sense to do so last year on home turf.

Reply to  Azaad

Yeah, that’s a bit of missed opportunity because if you’re the host country you don’t have to worry about qualifying if you’re choosing A song in your national language because you’re already in the final. They’re definitely taking a chance on this, and it could go well or flop depending on the competition.

James
James
Reply to  Azaad

Perhaps in the modern-era of the song contest but we can’t discount the times that they have performed their host entries in their national language previously so they probably thought that they have no incentive to promote the language now. Those who missed that opportunity to do so, in my opinion, would be the ones who have won for the first time these past 2 decades: Greece, Turkey, Estonia, Latvia and Azerbaijan.

Esc addict
Esc addict
1 year ago

This December in the Eurovision world is definetely full of surprises and crazy, it’s like an advent calendar, each day something to make the wait until Eurovision less hard. I hope each years will be like that from now.

Last edited 1 year ago by Esc addict
fionn
fionn
1 year ago

omggg this season is so good this is so exciting she’s amazing!!!

Max Mark
Max Mark
1 year ago

What a great and fresh choice! I’m very excited!

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  Max Mark

Something new at the esc scene. Welcome !!

Max Mark
Max Mark
Reply to  Mr X

Thanks, Mr X. I’m a very big fan of ESC, that’s for sure. Now and then I post a comment here. And the rest of the time I read others :-). .

Zheng
Zheng

Yay! Song in Dutch

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  Zheng

I´m very happy to read this !

Ukraine stan
Ukraine stan
1 year ago

I’m happy that the dutch language gets more respect, since the last one was, no offense, Shie-la-lie

James
James
Reply to  Ukraine stan

“Birth of the New Age” is quite good though on its own merits. Not sure why people dislike it so much, especially when the song breaks into Creole/Sranan Tongo, which obviously has a lot of influence from Dutch and Portuguese. I thought it was a good display of the Netherland’s diversity.

Reply to  James

I’ll never understand why they got zero points from televote. True, I wasn’t expecting it To place very highly, but I thought that it would get at least a few points.

Reply to  BadWoolfGirl

These days, the votes don’t seem to spread as widely as they used to do ten years ago. Scoring a zero unfortunately no longer necessarily means you’ve had a bad song or performance. Instead it often feels like some decent, yet unspectacular entry will just ‘win’ them randomly.

Last edited 1 year ago by Nils
Esc addict
Esc addict
1 year ago

A song in dutch language it’s cool and clever seeing the top 5 of the esc 2021. Every language can sound good in a song if it’s well used and well executed, so I’m confident for The Netherlands entry for the next Eurovision.

Last edited 1 year ago by Esc addict
Denis
Denis
Reply to  Esc addict

You could argue though that language was incidental however, the language itself was not the reason they did well. Måneskin could have sung in English and would still have won I believe

Esc addict
Esc addict
Reply to  Denis

Not sure of that, the fact that it was in italian has helped a lot, but I was talking about the top 5 not only the winners, Ukraine, Switzerland and France wouldn’t had the same success too if they have sung in english, imagine Shum or Voilà in english it wouldn’t make sense, nothing against the entries in english but it’s just a fact.

Last edited 1 year ago by Esc addict
Denis
Denis
Reply to  Esc addict

Måneskin won because they did something fresh, and brought rock back. They had a performance that made them win even if you thought the song wasn’t that good. The language was incidental, just look how I Wanna Be Your Slave became even bigger hit than Zitti E Buoni. Native language doesn’t automatically mean success..

James
James
Reply to  Denis

That is if it wasn’t an entry meant for Sanremo. The closest you would have gotten would be to make “Zitti e Buoni” bilingual but that has only happened at least twice in all the entries that have made the jump to Eurovision since their return.

Leo
Leo
1 year ago

They rejected Armin van Buuren for this???!

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
Reply to  Leo

To be fair. Not everything Armin van Buuren produces is gold. (take his song with james newman for example, It’s just average.) Jaap reesema stated that when they worked together one of their songs ‘sounded like a eurovision song) or in other words: they had something really generic inside the box and our selection commitee didn’ t bite for it.

esc2022turin
esc2022turin
Reply to  Leo

Armin would’ve been Darude 2.0 tbh

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  esc2022turin

Yes but Darude sound like twenty years ago. This girl seems to be very fresh.

Last edited 1 year ago by Mr X