Tonight’s the night. After months of hype and huge fan expectations, Semi-Final 1 of Spain’s Benidorm Fest 2022 has finally arrived. Six acts will sing, but only four will advance to the final.

As you’ll all know by now, there were originally seven acts set to compete in Semi-Final 1. But Luna Ki withdrew over the weekend because of the rule that forbids the use of Auto-Tune during the live performance.

We received a total of 5,446 votes. Based on this, our readers’ four qualifiers are: Tanxugueiras, Chanel, Blanca Paloma and Azúcar Moreno.

That means our readers would eliminate Varry Brava and Unique

Which four acts should qualify from Semi Final 1?

1. Tanxugueiras – “Terra” | 28.64%, 1,560 votes
  2. Chanel – “SloMo” | 17.59%, 958 votes
  3. Blanca Paloma – “Secreto de agua” | 17.55%, 956 votes
  4. Azúcar Moreno – “Postureo” | 17.37%, 946 votes
  5. Varry Brava – “Raffaella” | 13.31%, 725 votes
  6. Unique – “Mejores” | 5.53%, 301 votes

But what do Spaniards think? We took a look at the 1,534 votes cast from Spanish IP addresses. The results were slightly different.

As you can see the Top 3 remain the same — Tanxugueiras, Chanel and Blanca Paloma. But Spanish voters, it seems, would prefer for Varry Brava to advance over Azúcar Moreno.

In both polls, Unique finishes a distant sixth.

1. Tanxugueiras – “Terra” | 27.05%, 415 votes
  2. Chanel – “SloMo” | 21.25%, 326 votes
  3. Blanca Paloma – “Secreto de agua” | 19.43%, 298 votes
  4. Varry Brava – “Raffaella” | 16.36%, 251 votes
  5. Azúcar Moreno – “Postureo” | 13.04%, 200 votes
  6. Unique – “Mejores” | 2.87%, 44 votes

Who do you think will make it out of Semi-Final 1? Let us know in the comments box below.

Safiya
Safiya

This voting segment almost gave me a heart attack. What a mess. I do not know why Tanxugueiras were so low with the jury. I still think they are the best option. Yes, the staging was messy, but they can work on that and there’s still huge potential here. They sound great.

AlexC
AlexC

I said repeatedly Chanel-Slomo is the best and I was getting dislikes haha She brings Foureira vibes.

Tanxugueiras dancers were like grasshoppers. A bit out of place.

Last edited 3 months ago by AlexC

If these qualifiers have been drawn at random, nobody would call it anything but expected and deserving. However… these points from the juries and televoters weren’t even close, and it was surprising. Juries not standing by Tanxugueiras is odd. I mean, they delivered quality and style. I’d wish if the televoters gave a few more to Blanca, but she was still in their top 4, so okay. I am happy for Chanel, because this was slayage! Slo Mo would be a really good entry for Spain.

Ellie
Ellie

The four I wanted to see move on, did. But Tanxugueiras suddenly look vulnerable and Chanel like the one to beat. The power of staging, folks. It giveth, it taketh away.

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl

Who qualified?

Reply to  BadWoolfGirl

Chanel, Tanxugueiras, Blanca Paloma and Varry Brava.

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  Sabrina

Congratulations to them.

Congratulations to all participants and dancers. I am happy with the four going further. The second semi will be more tight for sure. Well done, España!

Well, Tanxugueiras was ridiculously harmed by the jury and haven’t even won the demoscopic jury…

Miguel
Miguel
Reply to  Sabrina

That’s fair. They were overrated. Larari larara is not a song.

Reply to  Sabrina

A WTF moment for sure. My theory is that the jury wanted to acknowledge Azucar.

Reply to  Whisker

But why do that by harming Tanxugueiras? I wonder if the jury already made their mind for Rigoberta (the bad thing about a presumed 2-horse race is that people who want one to win tend to look down on the other). If she wins tomorrow with ease…

Reply to  Sabrina

Who knows what’s going on behind the scenes. I don’t trust this jury at all. There’s no way that don’t see any merits in Terra unless they choose to. I was surprised they gave Raffaella that many points, the two performances were miles apart. Also, they’ll have the same jury tomorrow AND for the final? I hope Dietmann didn’t put Raffaella and Postureo over Terra.

Reply to  Whisker

Yes, the jury is the same. I wonder if Dietmann already has an agreement with RTVE to continue as their staging director. If so, obviously he’ll do everything he can to help a song he want to work with.

Reply to  Sabrina

No way they should have one jury for semis and another jury for the final. Yes t could be that Dietman is their stage director for 2022. we’ll find out soon enough. Talented stage directors can do any/all acts and as a jury member they have to see all potential. Blanca Paloma shouldn’t need him, neither would Tanxugueiras. Chanel has the choreo ready and doesn’t need much. Rayden prolly has everything figured out too. And if the boobs win, oh well.

Reply to  Sabrina

I don’t know if I’m curious or afraid. 😀

What a twist! I am sure that the televoting will make Terra qualify over Varry Brava or Azucar Moreno, but without a jury support, their chances of winning aren’t as big as we thought. 🙁

Miguel
Miguel
Reply to  Colin

And I am glad about that. Their “song” gives me headache

The jury votes were a joke. Tanxugueiras at one point from AM and VB yet they had much better vocals and stage show.

Adrián
Adrián

Tanxugueiras stage was pretty messy and incoherent, tho.

BimBamBoum
BimBamBoum

Tonight stagings are totally changing my previous top. Well done to Chanel who is such a performer. Well done to the choreographers and creative team who worked on Tanxugueiras and Blanca stagings too !
My new top 4 after the 6 performances :
– Terra
– SloMo
– Secreto de agua
– Postureo
I can’t wait to see Ay mama live performance to make my final decision but I see positive outcomes for Spain this year no matter the final choice. Bravo !

Rich
Rich

Also, I love Salvador Sobral, and I agree with him, but he is SUCH A MESSY B**CH!!!

Ellie
Ellie

Salvador trying to start another controversy? Uy. Best overall performance, surprisingly, was Chanel. She understood how to improve her song with her staging. Blanca also very well staged and performed, but the song as is just doesn’t grab me. It goes nowhere. Tanxugueiras…. they threw everything in there and it didn’t work all together for me. Their strength is in their vocals so if they win they need to rethink how to highlight themselves. Varry Brava was so fun in that Daði, tongue-in-cheek way, but it wasn’t tight. Maybe with more practice they can really improve it, but I don’t… Read more »

Last edited 3 months ago by Ellie
Reply to  Ellie

What controversy? I missed whatever’s happened.

Ellie
Ellie
Reply to  Whisker

After his performance while his mic was still on, he yelled his support for “las gallegas” (Tanxugueiras).

Reply to  Ellie

Thanks. What he did is not ok. He was a guest there.

Rich
Rich

My Top 4.

1. Terra
2. Postureo
3. Secreto de Agua
4. SloMo

Kosey
Kosey

Does anyone know if the Terra dance is traditionally Galician? It very much reminded me of Morris dancing in England and elements of Riverdance from Ireland. Very folk-y, I wondered if there was any historical connection? I really loved it, it really stirred that ancient feeling of the song.

Reply to  Kosey

There is a Celtic connection between the north of the Iberian and Ireland.

Kosey
Kosey

That is what I was thinking. It prompted me to check Wiki which says “Morris dancing” may be a derivation of “moorish dancing” (it’s not entirely certain) so it is entirely feasible there is a strong historical connection. I loved it, thought it added an extra dimension to an already strong song.

Percy
Percy
Reply to  Kosey

The dancing is indeed Galician. We have a Celtic past and many traditions common with Ireland / Scotland / Cornwall… We have traditional bagpipe music and the skirts the men wore on stage are also typical (the bare chest isn’t! ?). I personally would have preferred more traditional female dancers to complement this awesome song.

Nothing that would change my mind about “Terra”, but I wish they had more time on the screen without the dancers.

Reply to  Sabrina

If the dancers could get to the stage a little later, it would be great. It would give the audience something new during the performance, and by then the cameras would have already showed the Tanxugueiras more. Anyway, the kind of issue that isn’t really an issue, because they could even change it from now to Saturday.

Reply to  Sabrina

I loved the dance of Aida I think with the two dancers. It looked very
out-of-the-box.

Andi
Andi

My Top 4 to advance:

1. Azucar Moreno
  2. Tanxugueiras
  3. Chanel
  4. Varry Brava

I was disappointed with Azúcar Moreno and Unique never have been an option to me, so it was easy to pick: Tanxugueiras, Blanca, Varry Brava and Chanel.

Reply to  Sabrina

Oh, absolutely nothing against Azúcar Moreno, I actually love the fact they’re in the mix, I just thought the song hasn’t worked as promised when translated to the live performance. In their case, it was more because the other 4 were better to me.

But I wasn’t into boy bands even when I had the age to be obsessed with them, so no, I don’t want to go back to that time. 😀

Three qualifiers should definitely be Blanca Paloma, Tanxugueiras, and Chanel. I’d even say that Blanca won this night for me! Might even be my overall winner now. Terra still slays. Ok, they might be my winners still! Idk anymore… Both delivered HARD! Chanel also killed it on stage. These three were by far the best tonight!

Last edited 3 months ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

Blanca Paloma is my winner of semi1.

Tanxugueiras: wow factor. Wow!!!! That choreo was a big surprise. The dynamics on stage were *amazing*! Their voices were very powerful too!! The dancers reminded me a bit of Ireland 2014.
Chanel: the whole performance was OTT in a good way. The only things I did not like were the clothes. I can’t remember a clothes change for a long time now so kudos!!

Wowza! Blanca Paloma, Tanxuguerias and Chanel had fantastic performances!

Kosey
Kosey

A big shout out to the choreographers – there have been some exceptional performances tonight, really complemented the songs

Balint
Balint

Chanel delivers so hard

Andi
Andi
Reply to  Balint

She really got moves. Holy moly! Eleni Foureira gets jealous

Azúcar Moreno: the show was average and so were their voices.
Blanca Paloma: amazing show, performance and staging!!!
Unique: what was that kiss? Half kiss?

Hector
Hector

Blanca Paloma was magnificent

ete sech
ete sech

I’m so thrilled to see how this one ends! I love Tanxugueiras and they’re safe to make it to the finale, but it’s an open race for the remaining spots.

Andi
Andi

I really like Azúcar Moreno. Best of the three songs so far.

It’s started!! Varry Brava looked so kitsch, no offence. That red!! Too camp. And people criticized Fyre og Flamme 🙁
They did not sound good either.

GojoSatoru
GojoSatoru

Tanxugueiras and Rayden have teased a collaboration on YouTube (not Benidorm Fest related btw). The song is called Averno.

Jack
Jack

Raffaella and Postureo are my favourites! Hope they both qualify. Besos de Finlandia, X

GryphonRom
GryphonRom

Anyone know when and where i can watch the show? I’m in the US.

Guorga
Guorga
Reply to  GryphonRom

I’m hoping to catch it here in about one hour (22:40 CET) https://www.rtve.es/play/

gino
gino

Azucar Moreno has a killer song that usually is popular in spain and with eurofans idk why no one seems to care for it.

sean
sean
Reply to  gino

You may have said it in your sentence why it isnt a front runner.

Edu
Edu
Reply to  gino

Because is an old-fashioned song

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl

Good luck everyone

Press are watching rehearsals for the 1st time right now. Everything is getting ready for tonight. Comments are pretty good in general.
There’s a lot of excitment in Spain for tonight

Reply to  Alex

Btw Salvador Sobral will be performing tonight as special guest 🙂

Last edited 3 months ago by Alex
Addie
Addie

Oh, I’m so nervous for Benidorm fest! I’ll be happy if Varry Brava just border-qualifies. I want them in the final so much. Other than that, I obviously want Tanxugueiras to qualify. I’m also fine with Blanca Paloma and Azucar Moreno. But, Slo-mo? It’s not really that great. I don’t understand why people like it. I do like Chanel’s voice, though.

Lex
Lex

I won’t be surprised if Blanca Paloma wins tonight. It seems the rehearsals were leaked already and the reactions with her performance can’t be better. Looks and sounds like the dark horse of the first semifinal.

Ellie
Ellie
Reply to  Lex

Hers is the performance I’m most interested in because the studio version of the song does absolutely nothing for me. I want to know how it’s been upgraded live.

Aeria
Aeria

I don’t really get what people see in Slo-Mo. It sounds like any other generic song out there

Chris
Chris

Azúcar Moreno is one of the most succesfull groups-acts of all time in Spain. They have a safe ticket for the final. I doubt that their fans (who are about to vote for them today) are really visiting wiwibloggs.

Safiya
Safiya

I’m rooting for Tanxugueiras. I hope the staging is good!

jotka
jotka

I don’t always follow my early favorite actively from the beginning of the preselection, but when I do it’s Loreen 2017.
Good luck with having me as supporter, Tanxugueiras 😀

Benidorm Fest is an interesting selection. I think all songs have merits for qualification to the final of Saturday. Then, maybe either of half of those could reach a good placement in Turin. I am so excited for Spain this year!!

Charlie06