rayden calle de la llorería

Semi-final one is done and dusted, and the first four acts have made it to Saturday’s final. With Chanel, Tanxugueiras, Blanca Paloma and Varry Brava confirmed for the final, it’s now time to look to Semi-Final 2. You can watch it live on the RTVE Play web site from 22:40 CET.

Unlike Semi-Final 1, there are no controversial drop-outs this time around and all seven confirmed acts will be competing in some capacity. We say in “some capacity” because Gonzalo Hermida won’t be able to sing live. That’s after he tested positive for Covid earlier this week. But he is still in the race and his music video will be played during what would have been his live performance.

We received a total of 5,093 votes. Based on this, our readers four qualifiers are Rayden, Rigoberta Bandini, Xeinn and Javiera Mena.

This of course means our readers would knock out Sara Deop, Marta Sango and Gonzalo Hermida.

1. Rayden – “Calle de la llorería” | 24.27%, 1,236 votes
  2. Rigoberta Bandini – “Ay mamá” | 23.31%, 1,187 votes
  3. Xeinn – “Eco” | 18.06%, 920 votes
  4. Javiera Mena – “Culpa” | 14.84%, 756 votes
  5. Sara Deop – “Make you say” | 7.68%, 391 votes
  6. Marta Sango – “Sigues en mi mente” | 7.44%, 379 votes
  7. Gonzalo Hermida – “Quién lo diría” | 4.40%, 224 votes

Total Votes: 5,093

Spanish Poll

Of course, the nation’s favourite for months has been Rigoberta Bandini with her song “Ay Mama”. Would our poll look different if we focus on the votes from Spanish IP addresses?

Yes, apparently. If we only count the votes from Spain, Rigoberta tops the vote with over 25% of all those cast. The other three qualifiers remain the same with Rayden coming in second, Xeinn in third and Javiera Mena again in fourth.

The only other difference is that Marta Sango replaces Sara Deop as fifth favourite.

1. Rigoberta Bandini – “Ay mamá” | 25.91%, 385 votes
  2. Rayden – “Calle de la llorería” | 22.68%, 337 votes
  3. Xeinn – “Eco” | 17.77% 264 votes
  4. Javiera Mena – “Culpa” | 15.14%, 225 votes
  5. Marta Sango – “Sigues en mi mente” | 9.49%, 141 votes
  6. Sara Deop – “Make you say” | 5.11%, 76 votes
  7. Gonzalo Hermida – “Quién lo diría” | 3.90%, 58 votes

Total Votes: 1,486

Who do you think will make it out of Semi-Final 2? Let us know in the comments box below.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by wiwibloggs (@wiwibloggs)

Kosey
Kosey

It was an appropriate top 3 for me. I loved the passion in Rigoberta’s performance, I loved the unexpected heavy metal band realness from Rayden and Xeinn had some excellent 80s vibes going on. Saturday night is going to be very entertaining!

Leendert Jan
Leendert Jan

OK, for me it’s Rayden or Blanca Paloma now.

I am very happy that Gonzalo made it! 🙂 Thank you, demoscopic jury, and also televoting!
Congrats to Rigoberta. Expected, but I’m getting okay with that. It was a cool performance. Rayden is awesome, and deservingly in the finals. I hoped for more points, but okay. It’s not like I see Rigoberta not winning at this point. And Xeinn… it was not a flawless performance by any means, but at least it’s a fun song.

michaela
michaela

Rigoberta´s song giving of 100% TERF vibes tho

nope
nope

Another bottom 5 for Spain if they choose Ay mama

Žilvinas
Žilvinas

We won’t see Javiera Mena in the final.. ;(

Prediction: Rigoberta will win Benidorm and Wiwi’s post about it will get 800+ comments by Sunday morning.

I don’t know even if I care anymore after what the jury did with Rayden and Tanxugueiras.

Reply to  Sabrina

2nd semi is very mediocre apart from two or three. Cannot stand hey mama

Reply to  Sabrina

Benidorm Fest needs to rethink their scoring system for 2023. It won’t make much difference this year, because Rigoberta seems to be the only one with all sections of voting firmly behind her. But the way the percentages are right now, a popular act with a non-challenging sound (which is not exactly Rigoberta’s case, to be fair) can become unbeatable.

michaela
michaela

javiera mena ROBBED!

Ellie
Ellie

The demoscopic giving the most points to the music video was a choice.

Ellie
Ellie

The two standouts to me are Chanel and Rayden. I think Spain would see their best result with one of them. Rigoberta and Tanxugueiras both seemed like they didn’t know how to translate their songs to stage and it’s asking a lot of the public to say “vote for me and we’ll fix it before May.” Blanca is a dark horse for sure. I don’t care for her song, but there’s something in her performance that if she gets it just right could really surprise. All the others don’t seem like contenders now.

Sebas
Sebas
Reply to  Ellie

Couldn’t agree more, I do worry for the competitiveness of Blanca but beautiful song nonetheless.

Alo
Alo

Ruth Lorenzo was the best tonight!
In most of the performances there was something missing in my opinion.
I think that still blanca paloma and Chanel had the best performances.

Reply to  Alo

please come back Ruth. She was better than any of them

Reply to  Alo

first semi head and shoulders above car crash 2nd

Andi
Andi

Holy moly. Forget the Benidorm Fest and send Ruth Lorenzo again!!! What a queen!!!

What a complicated night for vocal performances. I wonder if Gonzalo will benefit from it.

Rayden had my favorite song of Benidorm already and his performance was very convincing to me. Still not perfect, but his stage presence is great and the use of live backing vocals was a big yes for me. Rigoberta got more comfortable during her performance, but I don’t know if this staging is the right way to translate her song…

Along with them, I would definitely move Javiera forward because of the song, even if her performance was a little iffy.

Reply to  Sabrina

OK, putting Ruth Lorenzo to belt after this semifinal is almost like doing bullying. 😀

Reply to  Sabrina

Judging by his other performances, and that the staging likely wouldn’t be heavy in choreography, I assume that Gonzalo would have performed very well. I am not sure how this will go for him now. I can see people supporting him for being ill, and the juries giving him points even just for eliminating those with weaker vocal performances, or alternatively ignoring a song they cannot rate in the exact same way. It might set a precedant for this NF season. I hope no more cases like this come, but these are some unsure times we live in.

Reply to  Colin

It’s extremely hard to judge his entry when all the other performances were live. If we feel that as an audience, imagine how uncomfortable it will be for the jurors.

Reply to  Sabrina

Absolutely. Even I, who mostly judge by song overall, and to whom live performance rarely when adds or detracts more than one or two points tops, have some issues with it. I may imagine how much of an issue it must be for people who mostly judge by how it comes across on stage. Very difficult to put in perspective.

Reply to  Sabrina

don’t think regular non-spanish viewers will get it.

Reply to  lisa thompson

I would say RTVE will have to work on making “Ay Mamá” part of the conversation, so people outside Spain can know ahead of her performance why she got all the buzz there.

Gonzalo would have had a fab performance had he been able to perform live 🙁 Beautiful song, heartfelt performance in the music video, gorgeous and talented man. I would love it if he passed into the final.

Andi
Andi

My Top 4 for tonight:

1. Rigoberta
  2. Javiera Mena
  3. Rayden
  4. Marta Sango

But overall it has to be Tanxugueiras!

Rigoberta really brought something interesting, honest, and provocative, but in a gentle way. I think that she is safely in the finals. I love Gonzalo’s song, and while I’m sad he didn’t get to perform live tonight, I hope that his clip gave the feels to enough people for him to qualify. Rayden’s CDLL is pretty engaging in live, and he’s such a charismatic performer. The backing vocal parts sound somewhat different, but they still work. Javiera did okay. I feel like it could have been even more “out there”, but it was fine. Sara performed well, even if I… Read more »

Last edited 3 months ago by Colin

This was bad. I didn’t enjoy anything except for Calle AND Culpa. Gonzalo would done very well for sure.

Last edited 3 months ago by Whisker
Sebas
Sebas

Okay my final top 3 is now clear:

1. Chanel
  2. Rayden
  3. Terra/Xeinn (Eco is a guilty pleasure…)
Last edited 3 months ago by Sebas

Rayden: mygod. Another “protessst” choreo. Starting off as a speaker speaking from a tribune, then being joined by those fellows in the same mood. The backing shouting happily was crazy cool and fun. The napkin, mygod! The melting orange-reddish symbol. It was such a fun performance. The aesthetic looked from the 20s from a country where such expression of ideas was prohibited but it was awesome nonetheless.

And yes, Rayden had *the best vocal of the night*!!

Last edited 3 months ago by Una
AlexisMateoFan45
AlexisMateoFan45

Now is the time where both Ay Mamers and Tanxugueirers try to pretend that the other act had the messier staging…I’m so excited to see this comment section burning in flames lmao

Ellie
Ellie

A lot going on with Rayden, but I think there’s an idea there that could be refined. Not sure it elevates the song, but it was still quite fun. I also appreciated that it was without loud pre-recorded backing vocals.

Last edited 3 months ago by Ellie

Rigoberta: it started off well with the idea of woman being joined by other women, going to a “protesssst” and being joined by men. It turned chaotic. It looked off somewhat.

Hector
Hector

With Rigoberta I have the same feeling as Marta, love the song to bits, performance wise quite weird, but she sang much better

Sebas
Sebas

Okay….. ay mama… ehm convince me that was not the female version of Germany 2021? Song is still okay I guess, but what the … was happening around it.

Reply to  Sebas

very subpar

Andi
Andi

The finish of Ay Mama was great. For me the winner so far. I loved the big tit 😀

Ellie
Ellie

Oh Rigo. Rigo noooo.

I wish they found a way for Gonzalo to perform live. If it’s ok for people to keep this 1.5 or 2m “social distancing”. why not have him on a stage at 3m or more from the audience and other people there and then have him wear a mask. It’s TV. It can be done.

Rich
Rich
Reply to  Whisker

Because that’s against the law here. Positive test = confinement for a minimum of seven days.

Reply to  Whisker

agree

Javiera: I was so shook. Everything was over the top in the best way possible. Outstanding choreo and staging. It’s way ahead of our time. The song did not sound as in the recorded version *and* she sounded shakey at times. It’s understandable. The staging was very complex and she also had that interesting choreo to do.

Xeinn: underwhelming. The staging vibe was too 80s and he looked so young and out of place. However, the staging looked like a combination of Sweden 2014 and Mohombi’s “Hello”. Recorded vocal Sweden style were obvious. The ending was *underwhelming*.

Marta Sango: I cannot believe that anyone thought those sartorial choices were a good idea. Then, she was off tune half the time. I had high expectations for this one but it looks like the performance targeted under 15. The choreo was fun and quirky at times but I think of this performance as a failure.

out of tune

I loved the “Culpa” performance! Very nice visuals plus her interaction with the backing vocal. And she sang so much better than the first two acts.

Žilvinas
Žilvinas

Javiera… Is it just me or was she so nervous?

Last edited 3 months ago by Žilvinas
Reply to  Žilvinas

No, she did look nervous. Performance was difficult to pull off.

Hector
Hector

I love Marta’s song so much but man that performance… Welp not my taste really

Luna Ki is in da house!

AlexC
AlexC

While everyone is waiting for Rigoberta van titty to perform, I am looking forward for Javiera’s performance.

Reply to  AlexC

stupid song. 1st semi much better

Getrude
Getrude

Does the winner of today automatically qualify for the Finals in Eurovision in Turin?

My preliminary qualifiers are Rayden, Gonzalo Hermida, Xeinn, and Rigoberta Bandini. I am open to the other three elevating their songs too.

Lorena
Lorena

Well, after rehearsals, Spanish press is literally crazy about Rigoberta and Rayden. Ufff, I am SO MUCH looking forward. If this is so, my vote will definitely go to Rayden, because if the stagings are equally good, I prefer his song. Let’s see.

Ellie
Ellie
Reply to  Lorena

I’ve seen a lot of comments about how emotional Rigo’s performance is. If she can make that work for people who don’t understand Spanish, she’ll have really pulled it off. That’s my biggest question mark and doubt.

Addie
Addie

Javiera Mena, Rayden and Rigoberta must qualify! They are the best ones in this semifinal. And Xeinn, probably, I guess. But his song just drips of Swedishness, which I’m not sure is a good thing or not. I can’t wait to see all of the stagings. But most probably, I won’t be able to watch BF, since it starts at 3:00 am for me (I slept off during the first semifinal) I just have to watch the performances later, I guess. Anyway, all the best to the participants!

I can’t wait to see the points for the high IQ song. Jury, I’m looking at you.

voix
voix

I just hope for a drama free result so Chanel can easily win on the final. Spanish eurofans are beyond toxic, their country has for the first time in years a high quality national final and they threaten jury members because they put tanxugueiras second to last. I guess they are addicted to bottom 5, Chanel’s top notch performance is not their cup of tea

Reply to  voix

first semi much much stronger

Lulu

The only hope spain have is if they choose Xeinn .anything else won’t do nothing at eurovision

ArvinRoido Atienza
ArvinRoido Atienza
Reply to  Lulu

Tell that to Michael Rice and Sisters. Their songs were Swedish produced and you saw what happened

Frisian esc
Frisian esc

Sister was produced by canadian Laurell barker?

Last edited 3 months ago by Frisian esc
musica
musica
Reply to  Frisian esc

Not just by her. There were Swedes involved as well (and she lives in Sweden).

Polegend Godgarina

i’ll be shocked if RIGoberta and rayden aren’t tonight’s top 2. i’d say all the others have pretty equal chances at qualifying, while these two are safe.

Apollo
Apollo

I’m really excited for Culpa. I’ve seen people say that Javiera isn’t great at performing live, so it should be interesting.

Aiesha
Aiesha

He is number 1 just because of his looks, which is terrible since you can get a whole lot sexier men from Azerbaijan! Look at 2019, so good looking man with an amazing song?

James
James
Reply to  Aiesha

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Bububu
Bububu
Reply to  Aiesha

As someone actually from Azerbaijan, I can only say “What in the actual hell are your comments?” Also, Rayden looks great, but either way he’s liked because his song is one of the best in the Spanish NF.

zach
zach
Reply to  Aiesha

what is this comment lol

Jacob
Jacob
Reply to  Aiesha

Don’t be stupid, you moron. Looks have nothing to do with good song.

GojoSatoru
GojoSatoru
Reply to  Aiesha

If looks determine the winner, Uku Suviste would’ve ended up in the top 10 of last year’s Eurovision. But we all know what happened.

This is exciting. Same number of points distributed among 7 instead of 6. The points announcement with three layers of voting was very exciting and kind of easy to follow.
It is highly likely that some people will be very upset after qualifiers of semi2 are revealed. Competition seems to be a lot stronger than in the first semi.

ales
ales

I cannot wait to see Raydens staging! I have high hopes 🙂 !!

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  ales

Yo tambien (Me too)

Great artist and lyrics (but a challenge even for people who can speak Spanish as a foreign language, I´m from Germany)

Last edited 3 months ago by Mr X
Zisk
Zisk
Reply to  Mr X

I’m glad it’s not just me that struggles with Rayden’s song as a Spanish second language speaker. I can get every other Spanish song but it’s quite hard to keep up…

Ukraine stan
Ukraine stan

CDLL is my favourite, the lyrics are very fun and enjoyable even though I don’t know spanish, that’s a very good trait that I feel like rigoberta lacks

Esc addict
Esc addict

Imagine if Javiera or Sara did a Chanel, one of them come with an outstanding performance and win the semi 2, it would be epic, iconic but it would be an eurodrama, el eurodrama que tu quieres.
But after all each contestants have the right to win and the jurors to like who they want.

Esc addict
Esc addict

Rayden and Rigoberta have almost the same numbers of votes in both cases.
I think this semi 2 is more interesting, looking forward for the stagings of Xeinn, Rigoberta, Rayden and Javiera.

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  Esc addict

I don´t like Xeinn and this swedish crap.

Esc addict
Esc addict
Reply to  Mr X

I Iove it! And it’s not because it’s swedish that it’s a crap, stop with this useless and systematic hate towards specific countries, it makes the atmosphere here unhealthy, ty.

Last edited 3 months ago by Esc addict
Mikael
Mikael

Still have to understand all the hype of the Spanish fanbase tbh

After Chanel being a total outsider yesterday, I’m hoping for Rayden to come out as tonight’s winner. He would totally deserve it.

AlexC
AlexC
Reply to  Mikael

Not an outsider for me. I mentioned many times that Chanel is the best choice for ESC. It is current, entertaining and exactly what ESC fanbase likes.

Sapphire
Sapphire
Reply to  AlexC

Don’t forget that it sounds like any other stereotypical Spanish song on the radio. It’d be guaranteed to fall flat in Turin should it win

voix
voix
Reply to  Sapphire

all these spanish entries that flopped the last decade did not sound like stereotypical spanish songs on the radio and they did remarkably bad.