One month after being revealed as Austria’s act for Eurovision 2022, DJ LUM!X and singer PIA MARIA have now released their entry “Halo”.

The song is being released on streaming services at midnight local time on Friday 11 March in each country. Additionally, the music video is set to premiere on the Eurovision YouTube channel at 08:00 CET on Friday.

LUM!X and PIA MARIA release Eurovision 2022 song “Halo”

“Halo” is an electro-pop song with a sound that harkens back to the late ’80s and early ’90s. It’s full of energy and certain to be a euro club hit.

In the lyrics, PIA MARIA says we are all strong enough to be the boss of our own lives. She also offers herself as our guardian angel:

“Let me be your halo / ‘Cause we’ve been through hell and back in only one night / Let me be your halo / ‘Cause heaven can wait for us to finish the fight”

LUM!X feat. PIA MARIA – “Halo” (Austria Eurovision 2022)

Who are LUM!X and Pia Maria?

LUM!X, full name Luca Michlmayr, is only 20 years old, but the young DJ has already achieved a lot. His songs have racked up over 1 billion streams, making him one of the fastest-rising stars in the dance and electronic scene. LUM!X’s biggest hit to date is “Monster”, which has already been certified 4x platinum and 7x gold.

He currently has over 10.5 million monthly listens on Spotify. He is currently Spotify’s 475th most popular artist in the world, making him Spotify’s most popular Eurovision 2022 artist so far. His biggest Spotify audiences come from Amsterdam, Paris, Oslo, Rotterdam and Hamburg — making his international popularity a good choice for a European song contest.

PIA MARIA is an 18-year-old singer who works as a make-up artist. Eurovision 2022 marks Pia Maria’s first big gig.

Austria has internally selected its act since 2017. The country last qualified for the Eurovision grand final in 2018, when Cesár Sampson finished third with his song “Nobody But You”. Austria is due to compete in the second half of the first semi-final in Eurovision 2022.

What do you think of LUM!X and PIA MARIA’s entry? How do you think Austria will fair at Eurovision 2022 with “Halo”? Share all your thoughts in the comments below.

George
George

EDM? meh .. more like PreDM it’s so so dated. Definitely proof that it’s a weak year if songs like this are in people’s top 5s.

Chingiz Tulegenov
Chingiz Tulegenov

I can’t stop listening to this! Finally something upbeat and catchy! Go Austria!

Esc addict
Esc addict

I like this one, it’s not boring, it differs from the ballad trend of this year, so it’s in my top 10 for sure, my top 10 in random order: Austria, Serbia, Norway, Israel, San Marino, Finland, Romania, Ukraine, France, UK/Poland.

Last edited 4 months ago by Esc addict
Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  Esc addict

This is very close to my top, which I’m pleased about as I am often in direct opposition to most Eurovision fans.

The only one we disagree on is Norway. I can’t stomach that song, maybe I’m allergic to bananas?

Craigee_mac
Craigee_mac

I love how in the filmclip, they got Gjons Tears to be the DJ.. LOL

Trocatroc
Trocatroc

I really enjoy this one!

Pancake
Pancake

I LOVE EDM and this song is no exception. It’s catchy, a bit anthemic, and it’s both Eurovision and Tomorrowland ready.

Austria had outdone themselves for this one.

Last edited 4 months ago by Pancake
john welsh

Very Ava Max and the retro sound works here. If the live performance is good then Austria are very likely top ten contenders .

Last edited 5 months ago by john welsh
Susi
Susi

I‘m loving it! Well done Austria!

Moonstar
Moonstar

It’s catchy, but nothing special. They could have done something more original with the instrumental. Her voice is too high, it’s high pitched… is it some kind of effect added?… it hurts my ears.

ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA

Well done! If they nail the vocals and staging, they should make the top 10 and do well with both televoters and juries! And unlike Netherlands, which I think is really overrated by the fans, I think Austria should definitely qualify this year!

I am enjoying the vibe. The song is good though not my fave genre. I love the visuals in the video. The reddish hue and the dark tones are reminiscent of the official artwork for the 2022 edition.

I just know I will enjoy their performance should they translate the aesthetic and choreo from the video onto the big stage!

Thomas21
Thomas21

Great energetic song. I am very happy to see this kind of music at Eurovision.

Mr X
Mr X

Not my cup of tea, sorry…

Austria 3,5/12

Do I like it? Do I like it? No! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

sasha
sasha

At first I thought it was far too loud, but it really grew on me! Austria could easily go back to the final with good staging.

Dan
Dan

Wow, I can’t believe we got a EDM track to compete. I’ve just woken up but listening to it just filled me with so much energy. I hope this goes Top 5 in a year full of mid-tempos and ballads. (Chanel still for the win though)

Ffgsg
Ffgsg

My fav

Valentino
Valentino

Didn’t expect that from Austria! It’s really good and get stuck in your head. It’s a bit dated though. Nevertheless if they nail the live, it will give Austria its best result since Cesar Sampson.

Thom
Thom

I love it. Great song. So much energy which we need in this difficult political environment

Roro31

This is a Bop !! Very good Austria !!

But the live ?? I dont know…

musica
musica

It stands out because it’s unpretentious, catchy, and Spotify-friendly. Entries like Poland and Australia are good for performing on the night, but maybe not so much for listening to afterwards. This one has hit potential. In a few days it will probably be the most streamed ESC song after Brividi. That doesn’t mean it can win, but it’s a certain qualifier (unless she can’t sing live, of course).

I’m glad I’ve heard it. Yeah, it’s fun! The melody easily sticks in my mind. On first listening, I prefer it to Finland 2019 and Poland 2018, while I find Norway 2017 to be better. Competition-wise, this is probably Austria’s best chance since 2018. Good luck!

Ari
Ari

Very good song, congratulations Austria, you managed to send a beautiful song, since the two artists were selected I knew it would be a beautiful song, I hope this song wins this contest or finishes in the top 3, Austria is holding your fists, votes will go to you! ,winner Vienna 2023!

Lyrics: https:// lyr-ics.com/let-me-be-your-halo-cause-we-been-through-hell-and-back-and-all-in-one-night/

Last edited 5 months ago by Ari
Unanimous

Good job Austria. You are already in my top 5.
1. Spain
2. Italy
3. Slovenia
4. Poland
5. Austria

Amesc
Amesc

Well, it really stucks on your mind. I don’t know how it will end up in the scoreboard but it is surely a very good song

P.s. two austrians refferng to ancient greece is not something i expected

Reply to  Amesc

There is the waltz, at least.

oh god this is A BANGER, very catchy with a 80s retro sound that sounds modern today. LUMIX is a highly successful DJ his song have millions of streams worldwide with much success in France, Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Italy – just check his Spotify profile! I think this will be a great song to close the semifinal. I can see it doing well with the public but not juries. My only concern is that Pia Maria is not experienced so she might look lost on stage and her vocals might not be strong BUT the pre=recorded vocals will help… Read more »

Hello hi
Hello hi

This could go either way . If delivered live it could go top 10 . It will standout from everything else because of its genre. Otherwise it could be an absolute mess and crash and burn. Going to be surprised if the vocals can be up to the task .

Fun. Great to have such young electro club stars coming in. This will probably be a Spotify winner, and could go either way at ESC. It’s always a challenge to stage songs like this. My only concern is it might split the vote with Czech Republic.

Reply to  Purple Mask

Different semis and I think that Austria is much more exciting than Czechia this year.

Collette
Reply to  Purple Mask

They both have dance songs it’s interesting similar. France has a cool song as does spain and love the UKs first time so good songs this is too hard this year

Polegend Godnova

this is a much needed high energy song this year. happy for my neighbors having a great song that i love and i wish pia maria the best since this is her music debut !

NoLight
NoLight

Very Ava Max. And I am here for it *_*

Kinga

what a banger! love it!

rainer1
rainer1

I like it. Unfortunately, I think the jury completely disregarded that.
and is it good enough that a lot of people are calling for it?

Torkel
Torkel

I think this sounds a bit dated tbh. And this “we will rock you”-clap beat in the bridge annoys me… the pre-chorus is the best Part of the song, very catchy… unfortunatly this is middle of the road for me …. sorry austria

Žilvinas
Žilvinas

I have no idea what the end result is going to, be but one thing: I will DEFINITELY will be rooting for this. LOVE IT! <3

Patrick
Patrick

The usual dance track that the fandom loves and then wonders why it doesn’t make it to the left side of the scoreboard!

Jack
Jack

As someone who thoroughly enjoys Lum!x, I loved this. Really hoping that this will be the EDM song that takes off in the contest like Shum did last year or Heroes did in 2015. I’m not 100 percent sure if this has the umph to win, but if it’s staged well and packs the energy, it could do well.

Craigee_mac
Craigee_mac

It reminds me a lot of the early naughties style of dance.. It’s quite catchy, and while I wouldn’t call it a banger, I think that with a strong live vocal, it can really do well. I think Eurovision 2022 needed another up tempo song, so I am glad this is in the contest. 7/10 for me.

Collette
Reply to  Craigee_mac

yes Belgium/Netherlands eurodance

Nicolas
Nicolas

Smells like Sweden MF rejects are being inspected.
But the song is still better than ‘je me casse’ so why it is not 1st in the odds in this very weak year. Mystery AHAH.

Reply to  Nicolas

Sweden’s MF has never had such strong bangers in their show. Sounds nothing like a MF reject…

Reply to  Nicolas

It’s not n1 on odds because Austrian ORF did not pay for betting odds like Malta did

AlexisMateoFan45
AlexisMateoFan45

To play devil’s advocate here, most of the revamps those past few years have been so drastic that you might as well call them new songs. Eden going from a sure nq to a solid qualifier with Set Me Free, Benny Cristo making a thousand versions of Kemama, and the house remix made out of scraps from Sandro’s 2020 entry are some of the hightlights for me

Eurovision fan
Eurovision fan

That song wasn’t terrible

AMAAN STORM
AMAAN STORM

Cascada how many years ago?

Not a bad song at all, but totally dated and generic 2000’s.

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl

where did this rumor of Malta changing the song come from? If you’re not satisfied with the song you won the national final with, why did you submit it in the first place?

Cookie Nation
Cookie Nation

“song not available in your country”. This is how much you crave sweet televotes? 😛

the song is very okayish, but at least it’s a bop

Last edited 5 months ago by Jo.

Aidan should sue.

ete sech
ete sech
Reply to  Jonas

He definitely should, it’s the fair thing to do but I fear doing so might hurt his chances to represent Malta in the future 🙁

efafaeff
efafaeff
Reply to  ete sech

its litterally allowed by mesc rules
he could do that too

Reply to  Jonas

So should the televoters who spent their money on any entry, including the winning one.
However, let’s not take this rumors seriously yet.

Sage
Sage
Reply to  Jonas

Sue on what grounds? MESC rules state that the song can be changed, people have known this since 2016

Reply to  Sage

On the night of this year’s MESC, I remember Wiwi’s Robyn saying that things have changed since 2016. It’s not allowed anymore. Aidan would be right to feel annoyed. I wasn’t actually being fully serious, because it might not even happen.

Reply to  Jonas

I remember reading the same – no song change.

But could Malta “screw it up”? Artists and teams put effort and resources into their songs and performances, the broadcaster made two shows, mygod. Changing the song would be appaling to say the least.

efafaeff
efafaeff
Reply to  Jonas

the rules of MESC allow them to change it

Leendert Jan
Leendert Jan

There’s your typical Germanic 00’s trashy dance track for you. I het the feeling that this might gloriously flop live, but I’d be happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited 5 months ago by Leendert Jan
F kings

This is a bop!! Finally another up tempo edm song, it’ll stand up easily

Jake
Jake

a large snippet was released last week and thought this would stand out given lack of dance tracks, it’ll come down to if the live vocals are on point or if they end up like Darude’s Finish entry…but I think this was needed this season

Reply to  Jake

they won’t end up last like Darude, Darude’s song was forgettable and not uptempo like Halo.

sam
sam

this is for sure qualifying! great job stepping it up austria. i think this could do great with both the juries and televote if pia can deliver live, and i really hope she does. it’s nice to see austria moving away from their usual jury bait songs the past few years. this is my 5th place currently!

Last edited 5 months ago by sam
Tedd
Tedd

I freaking love love love this!