Cornelia Jakobs "Hold Me Closer" lyrics Melodifestivalen Sweden Eurovision 2022
Photo: Robin Lorentz Allard

Every year it’s among the most talked about Eurovision selection shows. But Sweden’s Melodifestivalen is so much more than that. First staged in 1966, it dominates domestic TV ratings like few shows can and has given a platform to some of Sweden’s biggest stars, including, of course, ABBA.

And today state broadcaster SVT has opened the submission process for Melodifestivalen 2023. It will remain open until 16 September.

As ever, 28 acts will ultimately compete in the six-week musical extravaganza. Their names won’t be revealed until later in the autumn.

Fourteen of these acts will be selected through the public submission process. The remaining 14 will be invited by the broadcaster, who works its deep connections within the Swedish music industry to help attract top talent.

Melodifestivalen 2023: Who do you want to participate?

Last year’s “tour” through Sweden was cancelled because of the spread of the Omicron variant of Covid-19. But this year the traveling show will be back in full force, giving fans a chance to see the acts live and in person.

• Semi-Final 1: February 4 – Gothenburg
  • Semi-Final 2: Feburary 11 – Linköping
  • Semi-Final 3: Feburary 18 – Lidköping
  • Semi-Final 4: February 25 – Malmö
  • Semi-Final 5: March 4 – Örnsköldsvik
  • Final: March 11 – Stockholm

But who do you want to see hit that stage? Let us know what you’re thinking in the comments box below.

Stephanie
Stephanie
22 days ago

How about Robyn or Veronica Maggio?

23 days ago

I want a comeback from Sandra Dahlberg and Petra Nielsen. They were two of my favorites of the finalists in Melfest 2004

Regina Phalange
Regina Phalange
24 days ago

I want Linda Pritchard and Dinah Nah

23 days ago

Me too

Joseph Lambert
Joseph Lambert
25 days ago

I believe that either Elize Ryd (the lead singer of Amaranthe) writes a song that actually goes to Eurovision or the entire band (Amaranthe itself) performs at Melfest and wins the whole thing.

25 days ago
Reply to  Joseph Lambert

Or she performs as a solo artist

Nomo nomo
Nomo nomo
26 days ago

Molly Sandén

ILPIESC
ILPIESC
27 days ago

Agnes is my dream

27 days ago
I forgot to mention some artists in my first comment further down: Sibel, Fredrik Lundman, Victoria Silvstedt, Shanta Liora, Quickdrop, Amena, Patrick Jean, Maria Sur, Tennessee Tears, Helena Paprizou
Eurovision fan
Eurovision fan
28 days ago

I want to see Dotter on that stage in UK next year

Reply to  Eurovision fan

She is pregnant 🙂

EuroTrash Killer
EuroTrash Killer
27 days ago
Reply to  Tom

And?Ira Lasko was also pregnant when she sang at Eurovision.Dotter can give birth live on stage during her performance.

27 days ago

You are joking right? Give birth live? If you are a doctor you would lose your job for that.
Believe it or not, ESC is not the center of the world despite ESC fans thinking it is. The health of her and her child is more important than a contest. It is not advised to travel before or after your birth.

27 days ago
Reply to  Denis

Kirsten from Hot Eyes was about eight and a half months pregnant when she sang for Denmark in 1988…

27 days ago
Reply to  Tom

She won’t be in March, then.

Congrats to Dotter and Dino. 🙂

Jon
Jon
28 days ago

Usually artists that are already played on the radio (mostly singing in Swedish) as well as bigger artists, have stated that Melodifestivalen doesn’t suit their style since you need mainstream-pop song, and all of the Deltävlings have the clear four that will advance and then three that are pretty much out before even singing. Names like Veronica Maggio, Axwell&Ingrosso, Tove Lo, Håkan Hellström, Zara Larsson, Robyn, Lykke Li, First Aid Kit, Laleh, Swedish House Mafia and so on.. Don’t get me wrong, good songs to come and a likely top-10 contender incoming, but these singers will be former Idols contestants,… Read more »

Reply to  Jon
There are exceptions: Rednex (2006), Agnes (2009) and Darin (2010)
Jon
Jon
27 days ago
Reply to  Erik

Well their fame is more with the mid 1990s songs they had such as “Cotton Eye Joe”, so I don’t really see them as a really famous competitor anymore in 2006. Velvet (06, 08 & 09) and The Ark (07) were quite famous, had songs on the radio and were wanted for music festivals during the time they competed in Melodifestivalen. Even Dr. Alban has competed, but not during the time he had his biggest hit songs and same goes for Jessica Folcker and Pandora. Anyway I’ve enjoyed their songs and these are great examples that past fame won’t be… Read more »

Reply to  Jon

Man, you mentioned most of the acts that I’d like to see representing Sweden some day, and it hurts to see this but you’re right: it’s mostly unlikely for that to happen unless Mello gets an overhaul (which won’t happen anytime soon) 🙁

Yudhistira Mahasena
28 days ago

It would be great to see world-class songwriters like Max Martin, Cazzi Opeia, Ilya Salmanzadeh, and Ollipop submit their works to Mello 2023. Oh, and in case you didn’t know already, Ollipop is Swedish.

As for the contestants, I would rather see talents like Isa Tengblad, Maher Zain, Tove Lo, Smith and Thell, Alesso, Lykke Li, Winona Oak, Sandro Cavazza, Malou Prytz, Bishara, bugAboo, and Jack Harlow compete in Mello 2023.

Jon
Jon
28 days ago

Max Martin charges massive ammounts for one song these days as he has the name and fame for it, so we won’t be seeing any of his songs here.

Reply to  Jon

Plus he doesn’t really need Melodifestivalen, does he?

Jon
Jon
27 days ago
Reply to  Denis

No he doesn’t, and we could even reverse your question and think “Does Melodifestivalen need Max Martin?”. Looking back at Sweden’s placings from past ten years it seems like there’s no need for changes at all.

Bart
Bart

Good names!
Not much people know Winona Oak but she is amazing! Last year my favorite was Cazzi Opeia, and Liamoo was a winner material!
I think Isa Tengblad was a fun contender, hopefully she comes back too

Jack Harlow? How? 😮

PP77
PP77
28 days ago

Oscar Zia, Eric Saade, Dotter, Hanna Fern, Wiktoria, from this year again nety year Cazzi Opeia, Andreas Bagge

Bart
Bart
Reply to  PP77

And Laimoo too

29 days ago

Do not make music only with your brain but especially with your heart, it will bring this authenticity and this emotion that is often missing. Because singers are often not involved in the creative process, and producers think about the money they could earn before anything else, so they follow the trends of the moment and copy something that has already worked, something that was quite lucrative and they give out the song to a random singer… I hate this system and it produces mainly generic songs without souls…

Jofty
Jofty
Reply to  Esc addict

Great comment. Maybe it’s just me, but if I was given a free all expenses paid trip to final, I would not want to go?

Reply to  Jofty

Ty. But if it’s with a song without personnality, without soul, a song that everybody could sing and it would have the same effect, I don’t know if you can be proud of that even if all is paid and all is calculated to go in the final…I don’t know… it’s a choice I guess, I can’t blame the swedish singers to take advantage of this system but I hate it personally, I don’t like what it creates.

Bart
Bart
Reply to  Esc addict

So on point the artist has to create the song with help not the songwriters first and then look for singer

Reply to  Bart

Exactly if not I call that a music supermarket with cheap products without flavor.
We can feel when a singer is not involved in his song. This system works for Sweden but I’m not a big supporter of it.

29 days ago

Sweden has such an important scene and there’s many acts that I’d like to see taking part of Mello any time, some have already been mentioned so —just not to sound redundant, I want to mention the acts I’d like to see at Mello that haven’t been featured in previous comments: Victor Leksell, Myriam Bryant, Zara Larsson, H.E.A.T. and A36

Reply to  motopapi

I had forgot Tove Lo Is Swedish too, but I’d like her to take part of Mello if possible too :v

25 days ago
Reply to  motopapi

Don’t know if you knew this but H.E.A.T actually competed in Melfest 2009 and came 7th in the final.

25 days ago
Reply to  Erik

Omg really!? I haven’t followed ESC for that long! 😮

29 days ago

I’d like to see Myriam Bryant, Victor Leksell and Zara Larsson take part of Mello, they’re the ones that haven’t been mentioned before that are on my wish list for next year 😀

Pancake
Pancake
29 days ago

Eric Prydz, Rebecca and Fiona, Cazzi Opeia, and Clara Mae are on my wish list this year.

Sam
Sam
29 days ago

Is it not been another couple of years since Mariette to re appear… come on this would surly do well??

Lancelot or Klara Klingerstom/ Linus would be great

Reply to  Tom
Which Linus?
Reply to  Erik

From 3014/2015 😀

Reply to  Tom

2014*

26 days ago
Reply to  Tom

Oki, Linus Svenning. I love hes new song ”Another War”

Karl
Karl
29 days ago

Who cares? They’re going to end up sending a song in English anyway.

Reply to  Karl

Quite a few fans do care. And it’s a sad day when fans have more faith in Swedish language songs than the participating broadcaster and Swedish music industry. It shouldn’t be hard to write/find a competitive song and act.

29 days ago

Being not a fan of the Swedish act this year I still see in it something more authentic and spontaneous than in their last attempts. So I hope they will keep this direction even if I think that the Cornelia’s esc performance was still too much calculated and not based purely on the emotions but the song itself got something authentic. To see a woman representing Sweden was refreshing after all the testosterone they brought since 2015, so I wish a woman too again next year. I would like Sweden to take a risk for once and not to go… Read more »

Reply to  Esc addict

Albania and Ukraine always sending woman and nobody cares …

Reply to  Tom

Ukraine 2017, Ukraine 2018, were litteraly men, Ukraine 2021 was a group with 3 men in it and not even talking about Ukraine 2022…
Albania 2018 was a man, so I really don’t know what you are talking about…

Samira
Samira
Reply to  Esc addict

Why should someone’s gender matter when performing a song?

Reply to  Samira

I’m not saying that at all but only when a country keep sending men or women every year its tiring and boring, diversity of genres is refreshing.

29 days ago

Salem Al Fakir and Clara Klingenström are on my list. “Keep on Walking” (2010) and “Behöver inte dig idag” (2021): *lost opportunities* for Sweden.

29 days ago

I love Salem. He works as Vargas & Lagola now, with Vincent Pontare. Son of Roger. I’d like to see them at Melodifestivalen.

Reply to  Jonas

I know about Salem from you!! Can you recommend any songs by Vargas and Lagola? Roger Pontare from Eurovision in the 90s or 00s? AFAIR quite the epic guy and music.

29 days ago

Vincent is also married to Agnes, the pop star. So it really is royalty

29 days ago

I think “Roads” is my favourite, or “Selfish” maybe. I’d say start with those two.

Reply to  Jonas

Interesting songs – artsy but mainstream enough (kind of). Their aesthetic is peculiar but their credits very impressive. They could make Sweden very proud at Eurovision. I would like to see them at Melodifestivalen.

Meckie
Meckie
29 days ago

Disagree, Darin was their only real chance to beat Lena in 2010. Eric maybe Top 5, too.

Kat
Kat
29 days ago

Ulrik Munther and Jon Henrik Fjallgren! For both of them, I think their music has just gotten better and better over the years. Ten years on from Soldiers and I love every song Ulrik releases more than the last!

Nicky
Nicky
29 days ago

Eagle Eye Cherry, aka the best swedish artist of all time

PuppetOnAString
29 days ago

Pop music is literally Swedens their biggest export product, it represents the country lol

29 days ago

Ikea MUST be bigger than Swedish music. H&M as well?

Chessguy99
Chessguy99
29 days ago

Their largest export as far as monetary value is automobiles. As for just plain units shipped its pre-packaged pharmaceuticals.

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
29 days ago

If you want the swedish music scene represented they should definitely send english pop songs all the time.

Max Spencer
Max Spencer

Arvingarna in Swedish

29 days ago

I want BWO to come back.

Jofty
Jofty
Reply to  Jonas

Alcazar, they are like an older version of Steps.

Thanos
Thanos
29 days ago

Jon Henrik with a traditional sami joik entry. Sweden sent an amazing entry this year and I hope they continue in this route and not go back to the plastic entries of the 2017-2021 period.

Reply to  Thanos

Jon Henrik is now a politician and member of Sami Parliament so unless he suddenly steps back you will not see him.

Thanos
Thanos
Reply to  Denis

Oh ok didn’t know that. Well if other singers of that genre decide to participate at Melfest, it’s more than fine by me!

Alo
Alo
29 days ago

Something in Swedish will be great.
But in terms of comeback artist for me:
John Henrik or Clara klingenstrom.

Hector
Hector
29 days ago

Would love to see Ulrik Munther and Clara Klingeström back so much! Also Viktor Hallman (dj) but hoping there won’t be another Lumix and Pia Maria thing

Hrvatska
Hrvatska
29 days ago

Maybe next song in swedish language please

29 days ago

Erik Mjönes (The Singer to ”Lion Of Love” from Eurovision: Story of Fire Saga)

Reply to  Erik

I AGREE!

29 days ago

I want to see Maja Ivarsson, Rednex, Nordman, Sabaton, Smith & Thell, Agnes, Gustaf & Viktor Norén, Silvana Imam, Peg Parnevik, Gottfrid Krantz, Smash Into Pieces, Nathalie Brydolf, Elize Ryd, Jubël, Ulf Nilsson, Linda Varg and Isak Danielsson

NickBE
NickBE

SABINA DDUMBA!

Joël Bidon
Joël Bidon
29 days ago

Why can’t Sweden just pick their Eurovision song internally and use Melodifestivalen for something else???

Reply to  Joël Bidon

Why?

Samira
Samira
Reply to  Joël Bidon

Because it’s not needed. They could place a farting donkey on stage and still finish top 5 with the jury

PuppetOnAString
Reply to  Samira

Can you atleast give arguments that make sense? Cuz I can say the same about Italy and the televote lol

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
Reply to  Samira

They did better with televote the last few years like with tusse.

Reply to  Samira

Live animals are not allowed on the stage. Don’t worry about that, ok?

Reply to  Whisker

Dustin was a real turkey.

Reply to  Jonas

HIlarious!

Jofty
Jofty
Reply to  Samira

And guaranteed a good starting position. Definitely not 2nd if drawn in “First Half” of final.

29 days ago

I challenge all non-English speaking countries, plus Malta, to send something with dominating national flavour *and* in their own language. UK can send a song in a language other than English too.

29 days ago

I would love Ana Diaz. Not only is she underrated but she has a resumé to die for.
Her song ” 100″ is pure magic, the only Swedish song that manager to break me

29 days ago

If you know anything about music culture in Scandinavia then you would know that is what it sounds like in general. You see, even Swedish singers sings in English. Not just for ESC.
And just because its English does not mean it is generic. Nor does ethnic mean something is authentic

PuppetOnAString
Reply to  Denis

It is really time for Eurofans to realize that ethnic elements doesn’t make your song better. It can still be a weak song lol ?

29 days ago

English =/= generic. Most of these countries have sent something really good and competitive in the last couple of years. And in Scandinavia, many of the biggest hits are in English anyway. It’s not just for Eurovision. They love making songs in English.

29 days ago

OT. A sad news: Finnish singer Kimmo Blom who participated in UMK 2015 (with the song ”All for Victory”, under the stage name of Angelo De Nile) and UMK 2016 (with the song ”Good Enough”, in a duet with Annica Milan) passed away from cancer. I loved both of his songs, especially the 2016 one. R.I.P.

Vivian
Vivian
29 days ago

I can already tell the entry that goes to the UK will be fabricated jury bait once more, but I just hope there will be *some* creative inputs this time around. I do hope that someday Sweden will realize the support they get from juries isn’t going to be everlasting

Samira
Samira
Reply to  Vivian

I for one think you’re spot on

PuppetOnAString
Reply to  Vivian

Stop pretending like Sweden always flops with the televote. Since 2011 Sweden got a lot of top 10 televoting too so there is that

Voilà monsieur
Voilà monsieur
29 days ago

Sweden send something in Swedish challenge

29 days ago

If it is a really good song. But most Swedish songs are just fillers and not very good. This year only Medina had a truly great Swedish songs

Reply to  Denis

Just wondering, is writing a “really good song” in Swedish an impossibility?

Reply to  Whisker

It is not impossible no. Just that it is easier in English. Writing beautiful in Swedish more often than not becomes unintetionally hilarious.
That is why Medina worked, they had a party song with no pretentions

Reply to  Denis

They could send something similar to Medina’s 2022 song then. I enjoyed it and would have voted for it in the festival, not that all votes actually matter.

Reply to  Whisker

Sweden, your Swedish song problems have been solved by Denis and I. The way to go for you is something like “In i dimman” or “Norrsken”.
WLA, for some countries you can swap “let’s do this” with “you can do this”, but you don’t have to.

Reply to  Whisker

I would prefer something like “Delirium” by Lena Philipsson, or “Händerna mot himlen” by Petra Marklund, or “Dör för dig” by Danny Saucedo, or “Håll om mig” by Nanne, or “Även en blomma” by Frida, or ” När löven faller” by Carola… or any other really good Swedish language song.

Reply to  Jonas

“Händerna mot himlen” and “Håll om mig” sound great and I think something similar could do very well in the festival. I’m also enjoying “Delirium” but I don’t think it would do well.
Also, “Norrsken” is super-special and more than a really good Swedish language song, and this is a matter of fact, not a matter of personal preference.

Reply to  Whisker

I’d still prefer a song I love, even if it finished last, than a song I hated that won. Like I’m glad Finland 2012 happened, even though it didn’t even qualify.

You’re not wrong about Norrsken.

NickC
NickC
Reply to  Jonas

And i thought i was the only one who loved that…

27 days ago
Reply to  NickC

Definitely not the case!

27 days ago
Reply to  Jonas

Finland 2012 should have been in the final.
I’m still in dark as to how do “jurors” “assess” lyrics when they don’t know the language.

Reply to  Denis