Following the grand reveal of the seven acts competing in Finland’s Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu (UMK) 2023, Finnish broadcaster Yle is dropping the lyrics videos for each entry one by one. Next up is the boy band KUUMAA with the song “Ylivoimainen”.
KUUMAA — that’s Johannes Brotherus, Jonttu Luhtavaara and Aarni Soivio — got their start in 2016. They released their self-titled debut album in 2019, and picked up momentum in 2022 when their tracks “Tulipalo” and “Oo viela sekunnin mun” amassed countless radio spins across Finland.
They’re competing for the Finnish ticket to Liverpool with their song “Ylivoimainen”, a hard-charging pop tune that brings a universal, infectious energy.
Singer Johannes said: “For us, the band is, above all, a group of friends. We’re united by our ambition. This should be taken seriously, but not too seriously”.
KUUMAA — “Ylivoimainen”
UMK 2023 song release schedule
The UMK 2023 songs are being revealed one per weekday until 20 January. They’re set to be released at 00:00 EET on the dates listed below:
- Keira — “No Business On The Dancefloor” (Thursday 12 January)
- Benjamin — “Hoida mut” (Friday 13 January)
- Robin Packalen — “Girls Like You” (Monday 16 January)
- Lxandra — “Something To Lose” (Tuesday 17 January)
- Käärijä – “Cha Cha Cha” (Wednesday 18 January)
- KUUMAA — “Ylivoimainen” (Thursday 19 January)
- Portion Boys — “Samaa taivasta katsotaan” (Friday 20 January)
UMK 2023 will take place on Saturday 25 February at Logomo Arena in Turku, starting at 20:00 CET / 21:00 EET.
The winner will be chosen jointly by Finnish television viewers and international juries. The public will account for 75% of the vote and the juries for the remaining 25%. The finalists were chosen from 362 applicants by a jury of music industry professionals led by Tapio Hakanen, YleX’s Head of Music.
What do you make of “Ylivoimainen”? Do you think KUUMAA can win UMK 2023 and represent Finland at Eurovision? Let us know in the comments below!