The deadline to submit songs to Benidorm Fest 2024 — Spain’s national selection for Eurovision — has now passed. And when the clock struck midnight late on Tuesday, producers learned that they’d received a total of 825 songs “in all styles.” Those songs arrived over the course of 147 days.

Those 825 songs represent the breadth and depth of musical culture within Spain. Producers say they received the largest number of musical styles ever. “There are several proposals for reggaeton, trap, urban and electronic music, genres that were not predominant in previous years,” they write. “In addition, there has been an increase in the number of proposals in co-official languages.

Spain, you’ll note, has four co-official languages on top of Spanish. They are: Catalan/Valencian, Galician, Basque, and Aranese.

The overall number of submissions is the lowest they’ve received since re-launching the festival ahead of Eurovision 2022. Last year it received 876 submissions.

But RTVE’s team knows how to spin, so they’ve been celebrating a “record” year. That’s because they received 825 proposals through the web submission form. Last year they received 455 songs through that channel. Apparently teams left it late. “Nearly 200 songs were submitted in the last 24 hours before the deadline,” producers say.

The broadcaster is also celebrating that all of the submissions “have been presented with a complete set of singer and song.” So the folks at RTVE won’t need to spend any time playing matchmaker. Last year, more than 300 of the 876 submissions were sent without a performer attached.

This year Spain organised a special songwriting camp that brought together Spanish and international songwriters. Twenty-three of the submissions come from that camp.

RTVE’s committee of experts are currently working their way through the entries. Sixteen will ultimately advance to Benidorm Fest, which will stage its semi-finals on January 30 and February 1, with the final to follow on February 3.

RTVE will reveal the participants on November 11 in Seville as part of the Latin Grammys which will take place there.

Jonkonfui
Jonkonfui

If what happened last year IS an indication of Europe’s musical tastes, Spain has 0 chances of ever winning Eurovision or even ending Up top 5. In Spain we dont do songs like Tattoo or Chacha. And there wont be another company willing to invest on a song/show like SloMo. (An unknown singer + an internationally famous choreographer? These two never go together unless there IS lot of money involved). Add to this, that Europe does not digest too well songs in “strange” languages (unless they are wrapped Up in Circus). Result: Spain Will fight for the 20-29 position. Why… Read more »

Zhenia
Zhenia

I’d like to see an entry in a more minor language, but, what matters the most, is the quality of the act. I’m looking forward to it.

Héctor
Héctor

As a Spaniard I don’t need more music styles or co-official languages, I need more good songs. That’s all. From what I’ve heard there must be more recognizable names this year so I hope they all bring a complete pack and we can have 16 really interesting songs, not just fillers.

Dominic
Dominic

I’d like to see Gonzalo Hermida back. To have the opportunity to perform his song live. I love Quien lo diria, and not knowing would the live help in the final score, I’d want to see him back. Momentum-wise, I hear that Vicco is now a big name thanks to Nochentera, so perhaps it’s the right moment to enter Benidorm again. If she can have another hit, why not?

UNA SPARKLE
UNA SPARKLE
Reply to  Dominic

For what it’s worth Blanca Paloma was successful in 2022 and did win on her return in 2023.

The “Eurovision cognoscenti” in Benidorm’s jury though … cough cough!!!

Yes for Gonzalo Hermida!!

Yuarith
Yuarith

I hope either Belinda or Danna Paola takes part next year, or someone sends a corrido tumbado

Iván el Conquistador
Iván el Conquistador
Reply to  Yuarith

Please no, as a Spaniard I want something that’s actually like Spanish culture to represent my country.

Yuarith
Yuarith

I was mocking those who say they want reggaeton for Spain, I’d rather what you say too

The Voice of Reason
The Voice of Reason

Hoping that this year’s returning ‘veteran’ artist will be Vicco. I NEED her to win! With a global hit like Nochenterra, they may as well internally select her!

Devito
Devito

I don’t get the need to hype from the national broadcasters that they did receive hundreds of mediocre songs. They seem to forget that it’s the quality, not the quantity, that matters. For all I care, there could have been 1 to 10 submissions, as long as the selected entry is interesting and not the typical shiat we get for mainstream purposes.

UNA SPARKLE
UNA SPARKLE
Reply to  Devito

Quality is definitely more important than quantity but the number of submissions can mean trust that songwriters have in the broadcaster. They’re not all created equal, some are more professional, compentent and skilled than others.

It’d be hard to find a worst one than Romania’s in recent years. lower than a worm’s belly.

Anonymous91
Anonymous91

a song in english pls

Yuarith
Yuarith
Reply to  Anonymous91

They already did so with Barei in 2016 and it didn’t go well

UNA SPARKLE
UNA SPARKLE

Spanish jury’s love for Sweden in 2023 and the ‘in just ice’ of Spain’s fate in the big “event” will never be forgotten.

Yuarith
Yuarith
Reply to  UNA SPARKLE

Tbh I feel like that’s a bad omen for what TVE might select this year for BeFest

Yudhistira Mahasena

Still looking forward for LOVG, Melani Garcia, and Lorca to be in Benidorm 2024.

Iván el Conquistador
Iván el Conquistador

To be clear, Aranese is just official in Catalonia, it’s not recognized as official language by the Spanish Constitution (although I think it should, and the same should happen to Asturian and Leonese).

Tiago Saavedra

Wouldn’t be mad if they add 1 more semi final!

DutchTurkk
DutchTurkk

Dreaming of a Agoney return with a banger…

I hope there is a song in Silbo Gomero.