Eurovision 2008 remains a controversial year for many Eurovision fans. At the contest in Belgrade Russia’s Dima Bilan took the trophy with his ballad “Believe”, finishing ahead of fan favourites like Ukraine’s Ani Lorak, Armenia’s Sirusho and Portugal’s Vania Fernandes.
The constant chatter about the 2008 result led us to make it the subject of the fourth edition of Wiwi’s Way, which has already flashed back to the 1999, 2006, and 2011 contests.
The Top Ten of Eurovision 2008
- Russia: Dima Bilan – Believe
- Ukraine: Ani Lorak – Shady Lady
- Greece – Kalomira – My Secret Combination
- Armenia: Sirusho – Qele Qele
- Norway: Maria Haukaas Storeng – Hold On Be Strong
- Serbia: Jelena Tomasevic – Oro
- Turkey: Mor ve Otesi – Deli
- Azerbaijan: Elnur & Samir – Day After Day
- Israel: Boaz Ma’uda – The Fire In Your Eyes
- Bosnia & Herzegovina – Laka – Pokusaj
We had our in-house team of bloggers re-watch the contest and vote for their favourites. These are the results.
The Top Ten Of Team Wiwi
- Portugal: Vania Fernandes – Senhora Do Mar (actual result: 13th)
- Armenia: Sirusho – Qele Qele (4th)
- Ukraine: Ani Lorak – Shady Lady (2nd)
- Sweden: Charlotte Perrelli – Hero (18th)
- Greece: Kalomira – My Secret Combination (3rd)
- Serbia: Jelena Tomasevic – Oro (6th)
- Norway: Maria Haukaas Storeng – Hold On Be Strong (5th)
- FYR Macedonia: Tamara Todevska feat. Vrcak and Adrian – Let Me Love You (DNQ)
- Iceland: Euroband – This Is My Life (14th)
- Israel: Boaz Ma’uda – The Fire In Your Eyes (8th)
Wiwi’s Winner: Portugal
In 2008, Portugal sent Vania Fernandes to Belgrade with the haunting ballad Senhora Do Mar, which means Lady of the Sea. She placed second in her semi-final and thirteenth in the grand final. It remains Portugal’s best finish of this century.
This was a huge favourite in the lead up to the contest, and that’s not surprising. Her vocals, the traditional influences on the song and the mysterious staging — it was on point.
Wiwi’s Worst: Ireland
Ireland must have been crazy in 2008, because they literally sent a turkey to Belgrade. Irelande Douze Pointe by Dustin The Turkey was a joke that only the Irish got. Well, some of them anyway.
Reader’s Way, 2008
As usual, it’s your turn to vote for your favourite entry of 2008. You can vote for as many countries as you’d like, but you can only vote one time.[polldaddy poll=”8553097″]
What Year Should We Do Next?
For the first time ever, we are giving you the chance to choose what year we should look at next! Vote below.[polldaddy poll=”8553102″]