Eurovision 2016 is almost upon us. Rehearsals begin in less than a week, at which point we’ll finally get to see each country’s staging plans. As always there’ll be majestic masterpieces and boiling hot messes. But for now, we’re judging each act solely on their official audio and promotional performances. Since 21 March, we’ve been asking y’all to vote for your favourite act in semi-final two. And thousands of you have answered our call, with an impressive 28,767 votes already cast. The poll remains open until 11 May, but we’re going to take a sneaky peek at how the figures are currently stacking up.
Ireland haven’t made the Eurovision grand final since 2013, but Nicky Byrne is hoping to break the curse in Stockholm. The former Westlife star has undertaken an intensive promotional campaign, performing “Sunlight” at events in Ukraine and the United Kingdom. The publicity seems to be paying dividends as he currently leads our poll, clocking up 4,061 votes or 14.12% of all votes cast so far.
Ireland: Nicky Byrne “Sunlight”
She narrowly missed qualifying for the final in 2011, but 2016 is shaping up to be a different story for Bulgaria’s Poli Genova. The “If Love Was A Crime” songstress has travelled all over Europe. From Riga to Amsterdam to Tel-Aviv to London, we’ve seen her go from strength to strength. And she currently sits strong at second in our poll, amassing 3,939 votes or 13.69% of all votes cast so far.
Poli Genova “If Love Was A Crime”
Michal Szpak’s road to Eurovision has been filled with drama. His victory over Margaret in the Polish final sent eurofans into meltdown and sparked petition-makers into action. Emotions have mellowed since then, with “Color Of Your Life” proving to be one of the favourites on the preview party circuit. This popularity transfers over to our poll, where the Pole has collected 3,901 votes or 13.69% of all votes cast so far.
Michal Szpak “Color of Your Life”
Australia gave the preview parties a miss this year, but Dami Im’s popularity remains strong. The “Sound Of Silence” sounds very good to y’all and currently occupies fourth spot in our poll. The gladiator from down under has gathered 3,854 votes or 13.56% of all votes cast to date.
Dami Im “Sound of Silence”
Latvia rounds out our top five. Like so many of his contemporaries, Justs journeyed all over Europe during the pre-party season. And his red leather jacket always adorned his back. Whether the trusted garment makes it to Stockholm remains to be seen. But with or without it, the “Heartbeat” singer is still a favourite. He’s managed to garner 1,825 votes or 6.34% of all votes cast so far.
Latvia: Justs “Heartbeat”
Based on the current rankings, Ukraine, Norway, Serbia, Belgium and Switzerland will take the remaining five spots in the final. At the other end of the poll, Georgia’s Nika Kocharov & Young Georgian Lolitaz sit in last place. “Midnight Gold” has received just 165 votes or 0.57% of all votes cast.
Of course, all this is subject to change. The poll remains open until 11 May. So if you haven’t done so already, vote now!
WHO SHOULD WIN THE SECOND SEMI-FINAL OF EUROVISION 2016? POLL UPDATE #1
Results as of 23.00 CET 26 April.
Who should win the second semi-final of Eurovision 2016?
- Ireland: Nicky Byrne “Sunlight” 14.12% (4,061 votes)
- Bulgaria: Poli Genova “If Love Was A Crime” 13.69% (3,939 votes)
- Poland: Michal Szpak “Color of Your Life” 13.56% (3,901 votes)
- Australia: Dami Im “Sound of Silence” 13.39% (3,853 votes)
- Latvia: Justs “Heartbeat” 6.34% (1,825 votes)
- Ukraine: Jamala “1944” 5.85% (1,684 votes)
- Norway: Agnete “Icebreaker” 4.54% (1,307 votes)
- Serbia: Sanja Vucic ZAA “Goodbye (Shelter)” 4.32% (1,242 votes)
- Belgium: Laura Tesoro “What’s The Pressure” 3.73% (1,073 votes)
- Switzerland: Rykka “The Last Of Our Kind” 3.58% (1,029 votes)
- Lithuania: Donny Montell “I’ve Been Waiting For This Night” 3.27% (941 votes)
Romania: Ovidiu Anton “Moment Of Silence” [Disqualified] 2.73% (784 votes)
- Israel: Hovi Star “Made of Stars” 2.58% (742 votes)
- Denmark: Lighthouse X “Soldiers Of Love” 2.16% (621 votes)
- FYR Macedonia: Kaliopi “Dona” 2.02% (580 votes)
- Belarus: Ivan “Help You Fly” 1.46% (419 votes)
- Slovenia: ManuElla “Blue and Red” 1.06% (305 votes)
- Albania: Eneda Tarifa “Përrallë” (Fairytale) 1.03% (296 votes)
- Georgia: Nika Kocharov & Young Georgian Lolitaz “Midnight Gold” 0.57% (165 votes)
Total Votes: 28,767