It’s been two weeks since Benjamin Ingrosso won Melodifestivalen, but for the third week in a row it is FELIX SANDMAN who has topped the Swedish charts with “Every Single Day”.
Samir & Viktor‘s “Shuffla” moves up one spot to #2, while Ingrosso’s winning song “Dance You Off” slips one spot to #3.
Does this mean FELIX would have won had he perhaps performed earlier in the contest before being sent to Andra Chansen, giving the song more time to build?
It’s difficult to say. But it’s clear that Felix has struck a chord with the Swedish public and local radio stations. He’s also won over a wide swathe of the Eurovision community.
SANDMANERS in the UK will be pleased to know he’ll perform at the London Eurovision Party on April 5th. He joins a line-up that includes his bromance partner in crime — Sweden’s Eurovision 2018 entrant Benjamin Ingrosso.
Producers behind Melodifestivalen faced plenty of criticism this year about songs not being up to par for Melodifestivalen. However, with a Mello song on top for three weeks now, and with 15 entries still going strong in the Top 100, the songs have proven to be a chart success.
SVT Melodifestivalen in-house blogger, Gustav Dahlander, says this year had more radio-friendly songs, which strayed from people’s traditional expectation of the contest. Given the chart success the songs are experiencing this year, we can only think that record companies will put even more into their entries next year and perhaps draw some big names to the national selection.
Mendez is the last Melfest act who remains in the top ten. He’s there with his song “Everyday”, which is charting at #6. Margaret comes in at #12 with “In My Cabana”, LIAMOO is hot on her tail with “Last Breath” at #13 and John Lundvik comes in at #15 with “My Turn”.
It’s very interesting to note that 6 of the 7 songs in the Top 25 were also in the Top 6 of the public vote at the contest, except for Margaret. Despite the chart success of “In My Cabana”, and the international jury placing her in the Top 5, she came third last, or 10th from the public vote, barely edging out Martin Almgren.
SWEDEN’S SVERIGETOPPLISTAN 23 MARCH 2018
1. FELIX SANDMAN “Every Single Day” (non-mover)
2. Samir & Viktor “Shuffla” (up from 3)
3. Benjamin Ingrosso “Dance You Off”(down from 2)
6. Mendez “Everyday” (down from 4)
12. Margaret “In My Cabana” (down from 8)
13. LIAMOO “Last Breath” (down from 9)
15. John Lundvik “My Turn” (down from 10)
26. Rolandz “Fuldans” (down from 12)
32. Mariette “For You” (down from 13)
36. Renaida “All The Feels” (down from 17)
42. Jessica Andersson “Party Voice” (down from 18)
49. Sigrid Bernson “Patrick Swayze” (down from 34)
50. Moncho “Cuba Libre” (down from 32)
52. Olivia Eliasson “Never Learn” (down from 30)
54. Martin Almgren “A Bitter Lullaby” (down from 27)
Would FELIX have won Mello if his song was out earlier? What do you think of the new trend of radio-friendly songs? Let us know in the comments below.