Back in 2017, Salvador Sobral caused a sensation when he spoke against “fast-food music” in his Eurovision winner’s speech. But in a recent interview on the Norwegian-Swedish talk show Skavlan, the Portuguese singer appears to have taken a more sympathetic stance to Eurovision music.

Speaking to Fredrik Skavlan about his “fast-food music” comments, Salvador said:

“Nowadays I think maybe I was too fundamentalist, maybe too extreme. Because Eurovision… My opinion is it’s not really about music. It’s about the show. It’s a show to make people enjoy all the new technology, the new sound of things, you know.”

Salvador’s comments echo one of the founding principles of Eurovision: to showcase the latest in broadcast technology, starting with the European terrestrial microwave network of the 1950s.

But Salvador still casts a wry eye over Eurovision, describing his participation in the song contest as his “prostitution”.

While the interview was conducted in English, Salvador was keen to use as much Swedish as he could manage. The Portuguese singer revealed that after being inspired by the films of Ingmar Bergman, he had been learning the Swedish language, saying “It just made me feel really joyful.”

While Salvador has only been studying Swedish for tre veckor — three weeks — it was enough for him to pepper his English with Swedish words and phrases and even make some bilingual jokes.

The “Amar pelos dois” singer also spoke of his experience receiving a heart transplant. He had to spend six months in hospital, waiting for a heart to become available. And this was not a period of great artistic inspiration.

He explained, “It would be very romantic to say that I wrote a lot of songs in my very hard period of my life. But the reality really is just that I watched a series on Netflix. I was so depressed.”

But since Salvador’s successful transplant operation, his health and fitness has improved. Salvador said after a low-key but disastrous comeback performance — when he realised the limits of his out-of-shape voice — he has been working at getting stronger. “Little by little, I began singing better. I don’t think it’s there yet, but it’s getting there.”

What do you think? Is there room for fast-food music at Eurovision? Would you like to hear Salvador sing in Swedish on his upcoming album? Share your thoughts below!

Read more Portugal Eurovision news here

Total
795
Shares
Melody
Melody
1 year ago

I had forgotten about him. He is the worst winner of Eurovision.

isabel
isabel
1 year ago

Well, he certainly has an international career, outside of the ESC bubble.
If the interviewers keep asking his opinion, he is entitled to answer.

pooky1001
pooky1001
1 year ago

Salvador speaking to Portuguese RTP tv tonight about his new cd also said although Conan Osiris isnt his kind of music he thinks Conan has everything possible to win this year because the song brings something very different to the eurovision stage. Personally i would love to see Conan win i love the song and his performance but i think its gonna be the kind of song that people really love or really hate, atleast it will stay in peoples minds even if they hate it!!!

bluelight
bluelight
Reply to  pooky1001

If he had said Eurovision is not my style, and not complain about it. At least Conan Osiris has better personality than him.

1 year ago

It has only just began and will be much more than 15 min why else would he be in SVT in the same programmer than Anderson Park

Jim
Jim
1 year ago

of course he had to make more stupid statements for attention, since nobody cares about him anymore

Reply to  Jim

Except for SVT and thousand of people that go watch his shows

1 year ago

I’ve been watching Skavlan for some time especially because his show has very diverse guests and they cover a lot of different topics. It cracks me up when he speaks in Norwegian to Swedish guests and they speak in Swedish. And they always have subtitles in English. And that I like because it’s intersting to learn new things that are not really mainstream and that are presented with a lighter, fun approach. I’d recommend this show.

bluelight
bluelight
1 year ago

From a portuguese person: I’m tired of him, he already said something similar before, please dont give spotlight to him.
Real music doesnt exist, only music. Any melody is already legitimately music. Tired of these music elitists.

——
Good luck Conan Osiris. I’m proud of you, I dont care about your result. I voted you from my heart!

GEF
GEF
1 year ago

Well, who is offended by the expression “fast food music”? Seriously, in general, ESC simply is about fast food music. This means, the songs are short, have to be spectacular on firsten listening and should not be too complicated to please the masses . That is fine and that is how the contest works. Nobody really cares about the lack of authenticity or that there is no live instrumentation as it was in the past. Half the songs are written by a hand of producers nobody really knows. Most songs have a rather simple meaning. Most are just about having… Read more »

weird world
weird world
1 year ago

Salvador Sobral, you must know that electricity is modern technology too, why don’t you use candles and sing without microphone?

Prease
Prease
1 year ago

Boring he’s only making these comments now because no one wants to book him or no one is interested in him period!! He wanted to cause a stir and became a 1 hit wonder … boring … next!!

Reply to  Prease

I am sorry, darling, but you are completly wrong. He his fully booked all over Europe. So before you write comments like that, inform youself first and btw compare it with Netta, Kristian. Emelie de Forrester…

isabel
isabel
Reply to  Prease

Sold out concerts all over Europe, darling.

dan
dan
1 year ago

The hardest job in the world (and it’s unpaid) = to defend Sobral.
He says the same thing for two years already, there’s no excuse that was just “the heat of the moment”. Of course you can’t like all songs but no excuse to be rude. He lives in a small world.
I follow this site since 2016 and I know all Sobral have said. At this point he is just a diva and he likes it. Period!

Trh
Trh
Reply to  dan

You probably even didn’t see the interview, otherwise you wouldn’t have said such foolish remarks

Tiago S
Tiago S
1 year ago

I owe him my interest to Eurovision. I loved his song and, as a Portuguese, was very happy that he won. But to still insist that Eurovision was his prostitution? Come on. No one knew him before Eurovision. I certainly never heard of him before. I only knew her sister. Of course, I am glad that I got to know him and his amazing talent. But I believe it would take a while longer if it wasn’t for Eurovision.

Tiago S
Tiago S
Reply to  Tiago S

Ok, last night, on RTP, Salvador said that Eurovision was a blessing for him and that, in the beginning he was only getting the bad (the paparazzi after him in the hospital), but now, being able to play around the world, he knows Eurovision was indeed a blessing. That’s more like it.

Ruth Oldfield
Ruth Oldfield
1 year ago

Can’t believe how much better he looks! Robyn, how can I see his performance? Do I subscribe to Skavlan?

isabel
isabel
Reply to  Ruth Oldfield
dygh
dygh

“Who cares whose it is”
I mean your life is saved because someone died. I think the better way to put it would have been “I’m grateful but I don’t want to know whose it was.” It’s a bit strange not to care at all, right? Or am I seeing this wrong?

Reply to  dygh

He’s being rational, it won’t change his life or the doner’s by knowing who the person was, it’s dead. The policies don’t allow people to know, imagine: if your relative died and the heart was donated and you wanted to “hang out” with the new owner and pretend he still exists within you? It would be wrong in so many ways.

dygh
dygh
Reply to  pastel de nata

Sure, this is an ethical thing, but he seems totally cold about it. Almost like it’s from a factory while the truth is that someone died. I totally agree with you in every aspect but this doesn’t change the indifference.

Reply to  dygh

You’re seeing this wrong.

Reply to  dygh

It’s a dangerous path to start wondering about your donor, it’s much healthier to have Salvador’s attitude. This one sentence is probably too brief to sum up all his feelings about the subject, don’t judge him too harshly. Don’t forget it is all so recent, and he is just glad to be alive. The donor probably saved other lives too, their organs being used in multiple patients – Salvador was not the only beneficiary so he need not shoulder the burden of gratitude alone.

Reply to  dygh

I agree that was a bit off-putting. I think he should put exactly as you say. But then again, it has all to do with his clumsyness.

weird world
weird world
Reply to  L'oiseau

So convenient! He is a grown man, stop finding excuses. He is 30 years old, and pretends to be intellectual superior, no way to defend him after saying the same thing for so long now. Enough is enough.

Reply to  weird world

I am saying he is clumsy and yes he should think twice before he speaks. How is that defending him?

no name
no name
Reply to  L'oiseau

You talk about his clumsiness. But you don’t see how stupid and unethical
is to ask a question so brutal, indiscret, painful. If you had a heart transplant, would you like such questions?

L’oiseau
L’oiseau
Reply to  no name

I agree. The question was stupid

1 year ago

Honesty vs politeness… Let’s be honest, not all candidates will be in love with all of the other competitors’ songs. However, if they say it out loud, they are often considered rude. Then, on the other hand, people who praise everything can lose their credibility. Honestly, juries like UK 2016 are kind of useless. Not every song is good for everyone. People have different tastes and that’s okay. Personally, I find Salvador’s remarks a bit elitist (I do enjoy various genres, including fun and poppy music), but if that’s what he feels, I do appreciate that he’s not being a… Read more »

Reply to  Colin

I think Luisa made him do it, or at least he did to please/benefit her.

Reply to  Colin

I know, people need to be balanced but he never spoke about the Eurovision before he won, he said something like he didn’t know much about it, he didn’t expect to win at all, so he didn’t bother to even speak about it, but, I guess after he won he thought maybe people want something better after all and things are changing! He was probably naive back then.

1 year ago

He’s not likeable at all, very snub and overrated. I am happy for Portugal but I’d rather have Conan win and not Salvador.

Loreen would have won in 2017 if Swedes were not that narrow-minded and too scared to go political.

I would never understand how Salvador’s boring performance managed to win the televoting. He looks creepy during the live performance without any emotions.

But happy for Portugal’s first victory.

I assume he will never perform in any ESC shows again!

Reply to  Alex

You assume righfully, I don’t think he will perform in Eurovision events ever again, unless…….
na, he won’t do it.

Wouter
Wouter
Reply to  Alex

“Without any emotion”? His performance is full of emotion. And it’s precisely for that reason that I think he managed to top the jury vote and televote, aside from the fact that it is a beautiful song as well.

no name
no name
Reply to  Alex

I think it was an honor for ESC to have such a winner as Salvador Sobral.

Fatima
Fatima
1 year ago

Eurovision is not ‘real’ music. Yawn. Nice jumper though.

Denis
Denis
1 year ago

So when Benjamin Ingrosso says something negative then it’s rude. But when this guy speaks negativity then it’s refreshing and the truth..
Double standard much? Some people really do get away with anything..

Reply to  Denis

Now who is being jealous? You!

Denis
Denis
Reply to  Tug

No, just pointing out hypocrisy when I see it. Fair is fair..

Dawid
Dawid
Reply to  Denis

That’s how it works. Winners are saint for a few years and everything they say is right. Just like with Jamala until this year. I guess it takes 3 years to realise that they may say/do dumb things too.

Sure…

Iejdhcr
Iejdhcr
Reply to  Denis

Salvadore is not offending invidual people unlike Ingrosso, he’s just commenting on the show business industry. That’s the ‘subtle’ difference. Benjanim was just rude and childish

Dawid
Dawid
Reply to  Iejdhcr

He is, he’s just more subtle when he does that, that’s the difference. When someone wants freaking fireworks, s/he can use fireworks, glitter and whatever s/he wants to improve their performance (at least in their mind) and noone cares if Salvador likes it or not, because they’re creating music for themself and their fans. He was saying basically “your music is shet unless you’re doing what I do”, but used better words.

Iejdhcr
Iejdhcr
Reply to  Dawid

Maybe, but at least Salvadore is just saying what he thinks about music and performance, not actual artists, or people’s looks. And I think that’s ok, everyone has their taste in music, nobody has to agree with him. And even half the comments here on wiwbloggs are ruder than what salvadore said.

Reply to  Iejdhcr

I forget. What did Benjamin say again?

Reply to  Jonas

Jonas, if you come back to this thread: Ingrosso made a reaction video about most or all songs in the competition and said some offensive things about a few artists/acts/production of videos. He came across as an arrogant spoiled brat. Wiwibloggs had made that video (someone correct me if I am wrong). The backlash was that strong that the video was removed very quickly. Such scandal, such drama! I was pleased to see how low he scored with the televote even though I don’t know if that video had anything to do with it. Maybe it was just a song… Read more »

Reply to  Iejdhcr

Excellent point

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
Reply to  Denis

Salvador only commented on music and the music industry.

Ingrosso mocked his opponent’s physical appearances.

Those two are not even remotely at the same level.

keith mawson
keith mawson
1 year ago

BI always seemed like a crass little F*** Sobral though just a insufferable snob

Just a regular day
Just a regular day
Reply to  Denis

Just like when Sweden does an old fashioned song and everyone say it’s AMAZING and when other countries do the same, they are ostracized, specially by Sweden, so… Get used to it! Btw, Salvador was talking in a general way. Very different than what Ingrosso did when reviewing other countries’ songs…

Miguel
Miguel

Weird

WHen he wins Eurovision, people love real music and feelings,
But if Fuego or Toy wins, that same audience suddenly loves fast shitty music…

Then he should give the Trophy back, no?

Too much egocentrism, sorry

Best from Spain

Love love peace piece
Love love peace piece
1 year ago

I just got tickets for a concert of his so you can say whatever you want about him, I’ll still be smiling.

1 year ago

Why do I think of Conan Osiris when I look at Salvador??

Love love peace piece
Love love peace piece
Reply to  Alex

Because you need glasses.

Teddy
Teddy
Reply to  Alex

Because they’re both incredibly overrated?

Reply to  Teddy

In that case, they’d be both winners! I’m down for that!

bluelight
bluelight
Reply to  Alex

because they share the same horoscope sign??????? lol
they are very different

Trh
Trh
Reply to  Alex

Because they are both awesome and talented men!

Maya G
Maya G
1 year ago

Great singer, worthy winner. But what an A-hole he is.
He’s stuck so high up his own a$$ that he thinks he is the only proper musician in Europe. The look of outrage on his face when Aminata called him a Pop-Idol during the 2017 voting! “How dare you compare me, a higher musical being, to these unwashed pop harlots!”, what a smug, narrow-minded d0uche. Still one of the best winners in ESC history, though.

Reply to  Maya G

Actually, I don’t think he knew she was referring to the “Pop Idol” show, because in Portugal the show was just called “Ídolos” (i.e., Idols). So I guess he thought she was classifying his style as “pop”, something he disagreed.
But even if he was just distancing himself from the TV show he had been a participant — that would be 100% coherent, because he has always been totally clear that he disliked ever participating in it, that it was one of his worst experiences.

Maya G
Maya G
Reply to  GazilionPT

@GazilionPT Yeah, I got that. I wouldn’t categorize him as a pop singer either. Anyway, his reaction showed how high his metaphorical horse was, and apparently still is.
Some humility would do him good.

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Maya G

would not say best winner. It wasn’t in my top 15 anyway. Too Disney for me.

1 year ago

Wiwibloggs has put the focus on the right spot: that he thinks he has overdone it in his aftermath comments. The thing about prostitution is his clumsy way to say that he used ESC has a platform, as so many others before and after him. (Netta… anyone?) The problem with Salvador is that indeed he is a bit clumsy in his choice of words but his heart is in the right place (pun not intended)

Pok
Pok
1 year ago

What a slap in the face that Toy and Fuego did so well after he had won! And some of his fans are so pathetic. Praising him for being honest but still now harshly critisizing Benjamin Ingrosso for being honest just like him. Double standard much?

Pok
Pok
Reply to  Pok

Downvote me as much as you want. So many triggered fans can’t take criticism. LMAO

Iejdhcr
Iejdhcr
Reply to  Pok

You really can’t see the difference between criticising music industry and commenting other people’s looks or laughing at other people’s videos? One is impersonal, the other is rude and childish

Lollo
Lollo
Reply to  Pok

I agree with you Pok. Double standard. About being honest or being honest. I was happy to see so many of these so called fireworks songs do well last year. I kind of saw this as the rest of the competing countries, way of saying … we’ll do whatever music we want. To all of you in the comment section, I don’t mean this as an attack on you , your country or anyone in general. So keep calm. You can like whatever music you like and that’s okay. PLEASE! Don’t HATE me.

Tomatinho
Tomatinho
1 year ago

The second best ESC-singer ever,after Rambo Amadeus in 2012.

romanian
romanian
Reply to  Tomatinho

This is high class trolling.

eurovision6
eurovision6
1 year ago

One of the worst winners ever. Glad he has second thoughts about his comment because to call a disney ballad in portuguese real music and trash talking other music is a joke

Loubella McDoughnut
Loubella McDoughnut
1 year ago

Looks like he’s had a wash for once.

jhvorostovsky
jhvorostovsky
1 year ago

He certainly does use strong language. It makes me feel a little bit sad to be told that a performance and song I was greatly moved by is looked at by the singer as “prostitution.”

Iejdhcr
Iejdhcr
Reply to  jhvorostovsky

I think it’s his sense of humour, we shouldn’ t take it literally. I find it funny. People are so easily offended these days.. personally i find Sorbal’s personaloty and honesty very refreshing in showbusiness

Reply to  jhvorostovsky

You know, they say you can get real pleasure from a prostitute… 🙂

Alie
Alie
1 year ago

Lmaooo hes not wrong! William from wiwi said the same thing years ago. It’s not a song contest anymore, it’s a espectacle, a t.v. show. Not sure why some people feel offended, get a grip

Reply to  Alie

It’s a full package – melody + lyrics + vocals + personality + staging + choreography + cinematography

laepo
laepo
Reply to  Colin

Lyrics were never in the package, Melody+staging is the most important.

1 year ago

My favorite winner forever and ever!!!

aroncido
aroncido
1 year ago

Go, go, go wild dancers!

Reply to  aroncido

we love Ruslana too.

Olgeh
Olgeh
1 year ago

I agree. Staging plays an important and decisive role on Eurovision.

Henry
Henry
1 year ago

What a nasty guy, he still said Eurovision isn’t about music, but show. Which is like saying that all the artists bring trash and put up a nice show to cover it. Wish he’d never won. Sofia 2019 would’ve been equally good.

Olgeh
Olgeh
Reply to  Henry

That’s not what he said, is english your first language?

Henry
Henry
Reply to  Olgeh

He said Eurovision is pure show, not real music. He still believes his slow music is the only good music

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Henry

he needs to get out more now he is well.

Reply to  Henry

He said it’s about the show… and he is right

Darren
Darren
Reply to  Henry

A lot of countries have been getting away for years by sending crap but just covering it up with a nice show.

Although that’s not quite what Salvador said, I am personally inclined to believe this. A lot of countries seem to just invest more in that staging, rather than the actual song.

Pok
Pok
Reply to  Darren

It’s a TV show. What’s wrong with that?

gili
gili
Reply to  Henry

well its kinda true..lets face most of the songs are pure trash….for example portugal this year has graet artistic entry and it will never win. why? because most eurovision fans will vote for trash entry…sad but true…

Darren
Darren
Reply to  gili

I agree completely Gili.
Eurovision should be viewed as a platform to launch music careers. As it has shown in the past, that when the best song wins (Sweden 2012, Portugal 2017) the artist has great opportunities.
However where are the novelty acts now??
I love Portugal Netherlands and Italy this year but will they win? No probably not…the fandom will vote for Iceland because it is controversial, they probably wouldn’t ever listen to music like this outside ESC. We will all go to Reykjavik next year and the process will begin again. After that it will be Hatari who??

Reply to  Darren

I agree with you in all, but I am sure Hatari will not win. The ESC fandom is really just a fraction of the popular vote.

Rimig
Rimig
Reply to  Darren

I completely disagree, Darren. While Netherlands is my absolute favourite this year, I don’t think Iceland is trash at all. Just because they are controversial doesn’t mean their song is not good.

Darren
Darren
Reply to  Rimig

@Rimig
Do you understand the lyrics? Do you know what they mean? Can you sing a verse of it?

Iejdhcr
Iejdhcr
Reply to  Henry

I didn’t interpret his words like that. He’s nor bashing the artists, but the system. Which actually may people thknk is corrupt

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Henry

Too right Bulgaria was my winner

Trh
Trh
Reply to  keith mawson

Yes and a fabulous winner of a Chinese talent show… oops… I meant looser.

1 year ago

I think wiwibloggs has put the right focus on Salvador saying that maybe he was too fundamentalist against Eurovision. This is what should be retained from this interview. The “prostitution” analogy (and it’s an analogy!) it’s his clumsy way to say that it was a platform for greater visibility for him. In an ideal world the music would suffice for people to be known. Other people do other tricks – pun intended – (maybe even dirtier tricks). The problem with Salvador is that indeed he can be very clumsy in interviews and say things that can sometimes hurt people. On… Read more »

Amy
Amy
1 year ago

Learning Swedish for 3 weeks and already speaks it in a talk show. Wow …Amazing Salvador!

Reply to  Amy

Exactly! The guy is a genious. And check out the songs he sings in Estonian and Lithuanian… To die for!

Reply to  Alkisti

And in San Sebastian, he made a touching performance sang in euskera (the basque language)!
He makes the audience laugh in every concert, he’s awkward but a very witty guy. And he’ll be performing in a theatre just 700meters from my house! (Ok, I’ll stop now)

Alksiti
Alksiti
Reply to  pastel de nata

Will check that out.

Lars
Lars
1 year ago

I thought of globalism as prostitution, too, because of giving much of yours to others worldwide. But hey, it’s a good comparison and are almost relative with one another. Salvador may be like the Jaden Smith of Eurovision but I don’t think he intends to hurt with his messages. He’s just a critical person and that’s it. Though it is nice that he’s modest now by apologizing about it.

M_K
M_K
1 year ago

Well, he’s always been a bit douchy so who cares. It’s his routine. His sister wrote a wonderful song and he sang it well and that’s what matters to me.

Nicolas
Nicolas

Sobral 2020 is coming 😉

Miguel Lupi
Miguel Lupi
Reply to  Nicolas

Certainly not lol

Darren
Darren
Reply to  Nicolas

I somehow don’t think we will ever see him on the ESC stage again.
Maybe Luisa (as a writer), but certainly not him.

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
Reply to  Nicolas

Salvador wouldn’t want to. The reason reason he did in 2017 was because Luisa asked him to.

brennan
brennan
1 year ago

“eurovision isn’t about fast-food music, actually eurovision isn’t even about music at all” lmaoooooooooooooooooo

1 year ago

Well, my dears, the fact is that after two years of winning he is being invited to SVT, the home of Eurovision pop mass production, pays a humble and heartfelf hommage to the Swedish culture and language, sings in Estonian (the ESC 1994 EE entry) and Lithuanian, sings in Portuguese in Swedish national TV, has countless interviews in Spain, fills up big concerthalls all over Europe, has his song played in Brazil, and will shortly launch his second album and this is just the beginning! So whether you like it or not, he is slaying!

Luz
Luz
Reply to  Alkisti

He also has 4 concerts in Poland next month… Just saying…

Reply to  Luz

I know! Exactly!

JusticeForMaruv
JusticeForMaruv
1 year ago

About time to get off the cross, Salvador!

romanian
romanian
1 year ago

I can’t understand this hate for staging. Staging is still art, dancing is art too and you can’t separate it from music. Why are we supposed to see just a singer in front of a microphone? What about singers that are good looking and might have an advantage because of that? Let’s hide the singer completely, right?

Reply to  romanian

You are right. Eurovision has evolved so much especially since the Eastern European countries have joined the contest. In my opinion the appeal of this contest has increased so much particularly because of its size that lead to more competition and therefore more incentives for the countries to put on a mind blowing show. Whether for the good (The Netherlands 2014 and Australia 2016 are two of my favourites to date) or the worse (no names here) or the cringe (no name here). So many countries use this contest to showcase their talent and improve their image as much as… Read more »

1 year ago

Well, you are going to one extreme to the other. A bit less circus would be welcoming and refreshing, and this is what the avarage televoter felt in 2017 voting for Salvador.

romanian
romanian
Reply to  Alkisti

Tell this to Celine Dion and her Vegas show. It’s literally Cirque De Soleil.

Reply to  romanian

Your point being?…

Reply to  Alkisti

No, I am not going to extremes. The fact of the matter is that most broadcasters do their best and invest the most they can on that stage performance. There are people whose names we would not known such as SJB or HP or Fokas Evangelinos had they not been involved in Eurovision. It’s already a huge business that has artistic directors and or choreographers at the top of the pyramid of their fields. Just like songwriters in Eurovision that are sought after and hired to make songs for 1, 2 or even 3 countries in the same competition. And… Read more »

Miguel Lupi
Miguel Lupi
Reply to  romanian

You cant separate it but you should not value staging above song as this has always been a song contest.

Reply to  Miguel Lupi

I do appreciate the songs first since I would have heard most if not all of them before the rehearsal stage and some I know by heart. But some of the staging elevates the songs for me as a viewer of the show. I didn’t think much of Australia 2016 before the show but I positively surprised when I saw the stage performance. A shocker in the most positive way. Same about the Netherlands 2014. Different examples: Poland 2016: I liked the song from the beginning and I was mesmerized watching him perform. He wouldn’t have needed much staging. Croatia… Read more »

romanian
romanian
Reply to  Miguel Lupi

Beyonce walks on stage for 10 minutes in front of 100 dancers, and people are in awe and fainting. I’m not saying is interesting for me, just that without staging, ESC wold have been dead by now. I believe this, how could it still have 200 mil viewers without being a complete SHOW?

Reply to  romanian

I agree. I enjoy vintage Eurovision from time to time but staging is makes it so much interesting and appealing now.

Lollo
Lollo
Reply to  romanian

I agree with you that staging is art too. A stage performance is a combination of different art forms. Like art, music, dancing etcetera.

Tibor
Tibor
1 year ago

I would never hold a grudge against Salvador (or anyone for that matter), because he made a snappy but heartfelt remark on the spur of the moment, just because he loves music so much. And he’s right, in a certain way, music is music and everything around it can only complement it. If there’s no substance, music can be successful, but it will ultimately be forgotten. But, of course, in a certain way he’s also wrong and he knows that. Music can be fireworks, ask Händel, and if there is substance, the fireworks will enhance a certain type of music… Read more »

1 year ago

Wiwibloggs! Robyn, in particular: How come you delete harmless coments and questions and do let hateful comments like below linger . This is shameful!!!!

Luz
Luz
1 year ago

For me Salvador Sobral is a breath of fresh air, I love his honesty and spontaneity and whether you like it or not, it was much needed for the contest along with his music. I’ve been following the contest since 2002, witnessed some really bad and cheesy entries year after after and noticed that his win opened the door for more thoughtful entries. So, yes there is such a thing as the “Sobral Effect”. Yes, his comment was very harsh at the time, but it is very true. I’m 43 years old and a music lover of most genres but… Read more »

Reply to  Luz

That is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing that! xoxo

Denis
Denis
Reply to  Luz

That ignores the fact that there has been artistic good entries that won before Salvador, they just had the good taste to not badmouth the contest that gave them that win. That statement also ignores all previous winners who worked hard to get there. Even non winners were artistic.Artistry isn’t just what Salvador says it is,artistry is every effort you put on. Even dance pop is artistry. The fact that people still defend this elitist is beyond me. Hes not some Jesus sent to save the contest, despite what he says. Hes just an arrogant git that thinks he is… Read more »

Luz
Luz
Reply to  Denis

You are entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to mine. I stand by everything I said here.

Reply to  Denis

To use the expression you guys like so much: you are only jealous.

Denis
Denis
Reply to  Tug

Of what exactly?
Of some hipster dude thinking he’s a music police?

Reply to  Denis

Of Portugal having won with such an amazing artist by a landslide and that Sweden with all its amazing music industry and money cannot produce something so authentic and genuine. And for someone saying his mind.

Denis
Denis
Reply to  Tug

Artistic?In 2012 Sweden won with Euphoria, which was both artistic and commercial triumph. So much that it still talked about as the best ESC song ever. So much that it still sells records. Which is why people still remember it today.
No one remembers Salvador, no one remembered him a month after winning. No one bought his single, despite it being landslide win. That’s waht happens when your win is due to sympathy over being the poor heartsick boy

João
Reply to  Denis

ermmmm there are much more covers from “amar pelos dois”….
2019 and you still crying? do you really think he only won by sympahy votes? Poor darling 🙂

Reply to  Denis

He’s got a brand new album after heart surgery and loads of concerts throughout Europe.
If that’s not good enough for you, you better move to the USA, things just don’t move so quick around here!

Reply to  Denis

Yeah right… And this is why he goes on national Swedish TV, tours all over Europe with full concert halls, fills up two nights in a row the biggest concert hall in Lisbon and Porto, goes to countless shows in Spain. What has Loreen to show? She was a one hit wonder, that even didn’t win at home in 2017… I love Loreen, but don’t compare… She is fading and Salavador is just starting to bloom. BTW… When was the last time Sweden used Swedish in ESC? I tell you: In 1998. Another thing for you to be jealous about:… Read more »

Just a regular day
Just a regular day
Reply to  Denis

Oh Denis, your life must be so sad! Are you really saying that the most amount of points ever attributed to a song were all due to his sickness?!
Please, enjoy life and stop sharing hate. The beautiful thing about Eurovision, in my opinion, is that we can have ALL type of songs, artists, stagings, etc. Of course that being Euphoria a more commercial song it sells better. The point here is that he won and you still can’t get pass that. I wouldn’t like to have you around being so negative about a simple thing…

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Denis

well said. i went right off him after his comments

Reply to  Luz

It’s a sad song, why would anyone play it at a wedding? The same for My heart will go on.

Luz
Luz
Reply to  Whisker

That was our choice because the song has a special meaning to us. No need to question that…

Reply to  Whisker

This is completely out of line. How dare you to question the choices of someone in their own wedding. Shame on you!

Jake
Jake
1 year ago

I love how bent out of shape some fans get over this guy. I guess he just needs to be fake and say he loves every song and every little thing about Eurovision. He’s already admitted if it wasn’t for the contest he wouldn’t have attained his international fame that has allowed him to perform all over. He has never said he wishes he had never done the contest. I love that the same fans say every nasty comment about some entries (Montenegro, etc) want him to be polite and say something politically correct.

Reply to  Jake

The issue is that “prostitution” is way to harsh and insulting. Not to mention that it’s sometimes a last resort for people to survive and they can suffer a lot in the process too. Shame on him.

Reply to  Whisker

Actually, the use of the word “prostitution”, if insulting, was self-insulting, because he left it clear the he was the one “selling out”.

voix
voix
1 year ago

So we have someone who before eurovision only his family and friends knew him, without any career, judging the contest he won and was watched by millions and brought him fame, recognition, money, and thousands of people in his concerts. One word: Disgusting.

Geni
Geni
Reply to  voix

That’s not true. He is musician for over than 10 years. He didn’t search eurovision for fame or recognition, he did it becouse his sister, composer invited by RTP, asked him to do it, never ever thinking about wining. Before Eurovision he did tthousands of concerts, specially in Portugal and Spain. You don’t have to like him or his music. Just be fair.

João
Reply to  voix

so…you should shut up lol

Cupcake
Cupcake
1 year ago

Music isn’t about right or wrong. It’s about feelings. But People are different and so is music. Sobral may dislike certain genres of music but so does my grandmother and my friends. Who’s right? Who is listening to “real” music and who not? It’s ok to dislike certain genres but it’s not ok to badtalk in such a way about other peoples preferences. It’s disrespectful.
But I find it very sympathic that he’s openly reflecting. Not everyone has the guts to do so

1 year ago

Dude is fundamentally a decent guy who let his passion get the better of him. Whether folks want to admit it or not, the general quality of Eurovision entries has gone way up since his win, even the bops. The contest is finally starting to generally reflect what people actually listen to, and it’s a huge relief. If it took his song to make delegations take a good hard look at the quality of their output, I’d say it was for the best.

Peace and Music
Peace and Music
1 year ago

I think he knows that there’s space for every kind of music.

His victory was important, so I believe it would make some countries work harder and feel that with a good song, any country can win.
I think his victory brought the opportunity to have such entries and Belgium 2018/2019 and The Netherlands 2019, that are incredible songs with the contemporary and classy quality I also want beside the expected bops =)

Peace and Music!

Christopher
Christopher
1 year ago

What has he done artistically since winning? He owes his entire career to television music shows yet feels like a prostitute for going on them. He must have very low self esteem.

FilipeGolias
FilipeGolias
Reply to  Christopher

He spent six months in hospital, but after that he toured his country, performed in other European countries (Spain, Germany, the Baltics), and is now releasing his second album. That’s pretty ok, no?

Christopher
Christopher
Reply to  FilipeGolias

And what were his sales? I could do a tour and sell out phone boxes.

João
Reply to  Christopher

he is not interest about selling you anything…

Reply to  Christopher

Most musicians don’t make a dime from sales, it’s concerts that pay the bills.
And for a jazz musician, who holds live performance and jamming above all, concerts (big or small) are the heart of the trade.

Reply to  Christopher

Except for mega worldwide selling artists (none of them ESC participants of any sort, except for Celine Dion in her time) normally placed in the US, they make money out of concerts, not from sales.

Geni
Geni
Reply to  Christopher

Not true. He did it one time when he was 19 and hated it. He did Eurovision becouse he won the portuguese selection, and even that he only participated becouse his sister asked to.

Reply to  Christopher

He owes a lot to Eurovision, yes — in terms of exposure, not in terms of artistic influence. And he’s candida about that. But it’s not correct to say he “owes his entire career to television music shows”. His participation in “Ídolos” was long forgotten, precisely because he disliked it and never tried to “milk that cow”. If he owes anything to that talent show, is by absurd: it was trying to escape the media circus around former participants in that show that led him to “seek refuge” in Palma de Maiorca as an Erasmus exchange student, which led to… Read more »