If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. So it seems to have gone with Slovenia’s Zala & Gasper, who brought their intergalactic staging from EMA to Tel Aviv for their first rehearsal. The performance starts off largely in the dark with Zala singing almost in silhouette. She channels her powerful brand of fragility as she stares into Gasper’s eyes.

As the song progresses the starscape behind them comes into sharper focus. It goes on a journey from near darkness to something much brighter and purple — like the box of the iPhone XS Max or the desktop of a MacBook Pro. The most powerful portion is towards the end when the camera is angled up from the floor, so you see the pair and only stars. It’s as if they are floating in space and only have each other as an anchor. When Gasper eventually touches Zala’s stomach it’s a subtle but explosive climax to one of the most atmospheric songs of the year.

Zala Kralj and Gašper Šantl — “Sebi”: Reviews and Reactions

Slovenia: First rehearsal at Eurovision 2019

Slovenia: First press conference 2019

Video here

Read all of our Eurovision rehearsal reviews

Goddess
Goddess
1 year ago

Why this song is so boring?

1 year ago

Mesmerising. This could win its semi. Or it could come last. Difficult one to predict.

1 year ago

I’m glad they sticked to what worked so well in EMA. The background looks beautiful, more vibrant and detailed. Now it’s just the matter of picking the right camera angles. In the end, those who think it’s monotonous will still not like it, but those who can sense their chemistry and feel the atmosphere will keep loving it. I definitely love this one.

rocu
rocu
1 year ago

this song has deeper meaning if you spoke slovenian language. it is a requiem of her about lost her virginity to him

Helene
Helene
Reply to  rocu

This comment makes me dislike the song even more.

Serene
Serene
Reply to  Helene

Jeez lol, don’t believe everything you read on the internet. The song is about supporting each other while staying true to yourself.

Héctor
Héctor
1 year ago

I think they have brought the perfect background for the LED screens. It makes the song so magical and helps to draw the viewers into the athmosphere. It also seems that the lighting progresses through the performance, getting brighter, which adds some progression to the song. Very clever. The staging is simple but effective. Some will get bored, while some others will stare the TV during the 3 minutes fully inmersed in the perforamance. I will be one of the last.

NickC
NickC
1 year ago

I mean they are adorable, but the song is so monotone. I am sorry, I really don’t get all the hype. This is my head scratcher of the year.

Nikki
Nikki
1 year ago

Favourite background up until now, tied up with Hungary. I’d just put Gasper on a smart jacket or a long sleeved t-shirt, that costume doesn’t look good enough on him.

1 year ago

The female singer looks so bored, this isn’t good for camera. I guess they will do well with juries and easily qualify.

Steve
Steve
1 year ago

No charisma whatsoever. Great song but the singer has no stage presence. Boring

1 year ago

I really like this song and want it to do well. But: their faces are expressionless. They don’t say anything. How can they transmit emotions? Her voice is not enough. The song is plain. Awesome but plain. Lyrics understood by few people. The staging is nice but they don’t really say anything to the general public.

Loin dici
1 year ago

“It goes on a journey from near darkness to something much brighter and purple — like the box of the iPhone XS Max or the desktop of a MacBook Pro.”

… I mean, Bernardo,….
forget it.

Kyler
Kyler
Reply to  Loin dici

It was suzanne from their reaction video that said it and not Bernardo so…. Forget it.

Loin dici
Reply to  Kyler

But still wondering what the hell is Suzanne thinking 😀

Reply to  Loin dici

She’s thinking like a creative designer.

Escf
Escf

Press poll results:
Cyprus 72
Serbia 67
Czech R. 58
Hungary 53
Belarus 28
Slovenia 19
Poland 16
Finland 2
Montenegro 0

Reply to  Escf

So, according to the press, Cyprus, Serbia, Czech Republic and Hungary are likely qualifiers, Belarus, Slovenia and Poland have a shot, while Finland and Montenegro are DOA? Interesting…

Serena00
Serena00
Reply to  Escf

Belarus is better than Slovenia, really? Is this a song contest or staging contest?

1 year ago

Hard to judge just by this bit. It might become boring at some point, or be atmospheric throughout the performance.

Kris
Kris
1 year ago

I do know the staging works for the song. The question is whether it connects with the casual viewer. Because of its uncertainty I still have Slovenia as Borderline .

Thus far:
CYPRUS – Q
CZECH REPUBLIC – Q
FINLAND – NQ
POLAND – hopefully Q
SLOVENIA – Q
MONTENEGRO – NQ
HUNGARY – could go either way
BELARUS – NQ, but better than expected
SERBIA – hopefully Q

Doris
Doris
1 year ago

WTF, how can Slovenia be 6th on the press poll when they were the best and awful Czech coming 3rd ????

Prijeten fant
Prijeten fant
Reply to  Doris

I was asking myself the same, and no offense to Czechs – his vocals in that short clip are so poor.

Tom
Tom
1 year ago

This is starting to give me Portugal 2017 vibes.

Mystique Pizza
Mystique Pizza
1 year ago

I cannot wait to see the entire performance, a sure qualifier imo.

Roelof Meesters
Roelof Meesters
1 year ago

I think this’ll look great once we see the camera angles. I think top 10 is possible if the televoting appreciates this enough.

Laura
Laura
1 year ago

Someone can explain me please what is the “dress reharsal “? The big 5t1 will exhibit only on the final or also in this dress reharsal ? It will be showed to the public these dress reharsals or it is just for the press ? Thank you very much.

Reply to  Laura

It’s when they rehearse with what they are supposed to be wearing on the stage. The automatic qualifiers also do dress rehearsals.

Laura
Laura
Reply to  Jo.

Thank you!

Kris
Kris
Reply to  Laura

Dress rehearsals are for all and you can buy tickets to them. The Dress rehearsals happen for the 2 semifinals and finals (3 dress rehearsals for each show) .

The 2nd dress rehearsal is the jury show wherein the jury votes ! The first one is the first run-through and the 3rd one is called the family show. All these three you can attend in the arena. None are broadcast.

All countries voting in the semifinal including the Big 5 countries , rehearse in the dress rehearsals for the semifinals .

Laura
Laura
Reply to  Kris

Thank you ! So the singers of big 5 just wear the dress of the stagingbut don’t sing, correct ?