It’s a British TV institution that’s been on the air continuously since 1972. And this week’s episode of Mastermind had a distinctly Eurovision flavour.
The show — which has been adapted in up to ten other countries — sees contestants quizzed over the course of two rounds. For the first, they must answer quickfire questions on a specialist topic of their choice.
On this occasion, quizzer and Eurofan Phoebe Williams’ chosen topic was “Eurovision in the 21st Century” — a subject close to all of our hearts!
Phoebe ended up being very knowledgeable on the matter, getting an impressive 11 questions correct out of 12. This left her top of the scoreboard.
Alas, the second general knowledge round saw her fall to third position.
How do you think you’d do? We’ve reprinted all the questions and answers separately below. Go on, test yourself!
— BBC Two (@BBCTwo) October 14, 2019
Mastermind Eurovision Quiz Questions
- Which British television presenter was the United Kingdom’s voting spokesperson during the 2019 final? He announced the UK’s 12 points had gone to North Macedonia.
- What was the slogan of the 2008 contest? It derived from the fact that the host city Belgrade is located where the River Danube meets the River Saba.
- What was the nationality of the hosts of the 2001 show Terry Wogan referred to as “The Little Mermaid” and “Doctor Death”?
- What was the title of the winning song for Lordi in 2006, which gave Finland their first Eurovision win?
- During the voting announcements at the 2014 final, the spokesman for one country produced a razor and said “now it’s time to shave” before he awarded 10 points to the bearded Austrian drag artist Conchita Wurst. Which country?
- Which high profile musician who was born in 1989 but died in 2018 collaborated with Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson in the creation of the opening musical anthem “We Write The Story” for the 2013 final held in Malmö?
- Which country was represented by Valentina Monetta for three years in a row from 2012 to 2014?
- What is the name of the Copenhagen venue which in 2001 broke the record for the largest live Eurovision audience when around 35,000 spectators watched the final?
- Which world-renowned American singer performed during the interval of the final of the 2016 competition in Stockholm?
- In 2010, one country’s act was interrupted by a stage invader who tried to blend in with the performers. The act was allowed to perform again at the end of the competition. Which country did they represent?
- According to Graham Norton, the performance by one country’s act at the 2018 competition was “like some children’s television presenters got a bit overexcited at their Christmas party”. Which country?
- Which act represented Ireland in 2012 with the song “Waterline” and finished nineteenth? It was their second consecutive performance in a final.
Mastermind Eurovision Quiz Answers
- Rylan Clark-Neal
- The Confluence of Sound
- Hard Rock Hallelujah
- San Marino
- Justin Timberlake
How did you do? Could you beat Phoebe’s score? Were the questions too hard? Or maybe too easy? Let us know in the comments.